Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:13:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 388
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 364
Total: 366

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Help Im homeless  (Read 4597 times)

Offline Raja23

• RIP Whitney
Help Im homeless
« on: July 05, 2012, 03:52:00 pm »
Hi Guys,

I check with my case manager from time to time to see if any type of housing program or assistance is available & I always hear No No No. I dont understand I live in los angeles one of the largest cities & there are no resources for housing assistance. I refuse to live in a room on skid room. I apply for Hopwa in long beach, signed up for low income housing & still nothing. I spend hours & days of the phone making calls, leaving messages & still no luck Im gonna keep a positive mind & stay prayerful but if anyone knows of anything that will be helpful to me please help me out
>>The Cure For Hate Is Love<<

Offline Oceanbeach

Re: Help Im homeless
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 05:05:29 pm »
Hi Raja23,

HOPWA is a federal program to help people living with HIV by funding security deposits and utilities.  They do not find housing for clients.  You said you live in Los Angeles, your profile summary says Palos Verde and they border with San Pedro.  If your physical address is in Los Angeles, the Long Beach HOPWA agent can not help you because that office does not serve Los Angeles.  They cover Long Beach, San Pedro, Palos Verde.  A Los Angeles resident would need to go to APLA in West Hollywood.

If you live in Palos Verde or San Pedro, you can be a client at the Care Program at St. Mary's, they have all of the resources available and truly serve the clients needs.  I was a client during my first 4 years of AIDS, I recommend them from my heart.

You must know The Center in Long Beach?  They have a long history of service to people living with HIV and a giant bulletin board with rental and share rental listings.  They are located on 3rd and Cherry.  There was a homeless office in Long Beach, near Broadway and Lynden.  They, along with Case Management at the ASO's can access HOPWA funds for temporary housing and food vouchers.  That is a motel room for 30 days w/ restaurant vouchers for 3 meals each day.

The Blackstone on Ocean Drive in Long Beach was a fleabag SRO for decades but about 7 or 8 years ago, converted into luxury apartments.  The New Kennedy on Ocean and Long Beach Blvd was torn down but they are still a couple of clean SRO's on Broadway, near Lynden.

There is a family owned real estate firm on Redondo Blvd, near Broadway which looks and feels hoidy toidy "somebody and Kenney Associates,"  Their Property Management office does have a long history in helping people with HIV find housing.     

I have lived in San Pedro and Long Beach w/ HIV, then AIDS for over 4 years.  Los Angeles County has the most money and resources.  I have experienced the nine levels of hell, with AIDS and housing has always been an issue.  Those are my best resources, for you to use.   8)  Have the best day
Michael

Offline SANJUANDUDE

Re: Help Im homeless
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 06:46:36 pm »
I have had HOPWA cover 100% of my rent on an "emergency" basis in New Mexico, Nebraska, Florida, Arizona and upstate New York.  There are HOPWA funds called, TBRA (Tenant Based Rental Assiistance), I believe, which will over a certain percentage of your rent.  However, many ASO's have their very own in-house waiting list for HOPWA, since there is such a demand and need for it.
10/2011-CD-4-598-Undetectable
01/2012-CD-4-758-Undetectable
04/2012-CD$-780-70 Viral Load
08-2012-CD4-846--20 viral load
02/2013-CD$ 865----20 Undetectable Viral Load
08/2013- CD4-898----<20 undetectable viral load

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.