Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:20:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 235
Total: 236

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Possible symptoms  (Read 7213 times)

Offline daman884

Possible symptoms
« on: September 01, 2007, 12:42:55 pm »
I recently took a trip to Thailand. I was there for about 3 and half weeks, and had intercourse with 3 different girls. I had brought condoms from home and used them on each occasion. However, a drunken night I was unprotected inside the girl that I had spent the most time with (5 days) for about 30-45 seconds before putting on another condom. The previous one had broken. Another night I penetrated a different girl for maybe 15 seconds before pulling out. I also received unprotected oral on two different occasions. I was not sexually active before this.

I have been home for about 2 and a half months now. The incidents took place around June 2nd and June 6th. Around June 11th, I had a low grade fever(99.5) and an extremely sore throat. I was prescribed antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection was fine. Now, almost 3 months later, I have these pains around what I assume are my lymph nodes. The pains move from my the sides of my neck to my armpits, and sometimes right below the jaw. Also about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks after the incidents, it seemed that there was a tingling sensation when I urinated and had to urinate more frequently (It felt like I had to pee constantly...like having a full bladder all the time, but not able to actually pee)...but I attributed this to my drinking and retaining more water. It was hellishly hot in Thailand and I was sweating ALL the time, so I was drinking 4-5 bottles a day upon my return. The sensation subsided within a week.

I know symptoms are never a reliable indicator for a new infection, but I am kind of freaking out here!! I bit the bullet and went to my family doctor this previous Wednesday and was tested. I should get results back within a week. These girls never identified themselves as CSWs, and I paid them no money. This comes at a particularly difficult time for me because I just realized one of my goals and starting a position in teaching in Japan in September.

At this point I am racked with anxiety and guilt, and just want to be able to have a family one day. I keep reading that HIV is a fragile virus and is more difficult to transmit from a woman to a man, but I do not think these symptoms are in my head. Any and all comments are appreciated. Thank you very much.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Possible symptoms
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 12:51:24 pm »
Excessive drinking and sex don't mix and unprotected sex unless in a monogamist relationship should never be done. You had a risk however slight and you should test. Not only testing for HIV but other STDs. Your symptoms are not suggestive of ARS but even the lack of symptoms cannot tell anyone of their status.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 01:10:24 pm by RapidRod »

Offline daman884

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 01:03:26 pm »
Thanks for your prompt reply. I must have forgot to mention that I did get tested this previous Wednesday. I had articulated a more complete and thought out piece of writing for this forum...but lost it when trying to post.  >:(  Now I am just waiting for the results. I have never felt anything like this before...and sometimes the skin on my neck and in my armpits becomes noticeably warm. I also have this weight on my chest (more anxiety maybe?)

I now know alcohol and sex do not mix well together...I doubt this would have happened without booze. I think too that I forgot to mention I didn't ejaculate into either girl. I have been going to the gym and sometimes working out quite hard to take my mind off my problems, and I think some of my body pains can be attributed to this. I also have a history of upper respiratory infections and usually lose my voice at least once a year. Smoking maybe? But I've all but stopped that as well in lieu of recent events.

I am just sitting tight and trying to live life as normal until this Wednesday.

PS: LOL, when I saw your name, Rapidrod...I thought of car Ramrod from Super Troopers.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 01:23:33 pm by daman884 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 01:43:19 pm »
Daman,

I hope you were tested for all the other STIs while you were at it last Wednesday, because you were at FAR greater risk for something like chlamydia or gonorrhea during your brief unprotected encounters.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. However, that doesn't mean no risk and you were wise to test. Expect a negative result. I am.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

You should consider your recent testing (and again, I hope you tested for more than just hiv) as the start of your yearly sexual health care routine. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline daman884

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 01:57:04 pm »
Ann,

Thanks for your reply. The doctor said he would screen for syphilis as well...but I didn't get tested for chlamydia, gonorrhea, or herpes because of the lack of symptoms (IE no discharge or lesions). I will ask for a urine analysis when I return. You have successfully eased my mind a little...but I really hope I stop having these throbbing pains. I have read some other posts on this forum about doctors telling patients to stop poking and prodding your body looking for lymph nodes, and I laughed out loud because that is exactly what I have been doing.  ::)

I was also worried because girls you can take home in a night (sex workers or not) are probably very sexually active or are looking for a husband to take them back to America (in Thailand, at least). I have also heard about HIV being more prevalent in Thailand than in other countries. But...I have also heard about the 100% condom program they instituted significantly decreasing the amount of new HIV infections in the country (by like 50% over the course of a few years). Those kinds of results are amazing.

Everybody is more likely to have a mishap when a lot alcohol is involved, and I was stupid to attempt such a thing. Thanks!!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 02:06:41 pm by daman884 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 02:09:56 pm »
daman,

Gonorrhea and chlamydia can be present without symptoms. In fact, your problem with wanting to pee could possibly be a symptom of one of those or a simple urinary tract infection. You'd be wise to be checked out for this kind of thing.

With the briefness of your unprotected encounters, it's unlikely to have anything to do with hiv, but only your test results will tell us for certain.

I hope you use condoms with all your sex partners, not just sex workers. If you met me in the pub, you'd think I was just an average middle aged woman, but I'm hiv positive. It's not just sex workers who become infected and you'll do well to remember that. Hiv, unlike people, does NOT discriminate!

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infecion. It really is that simple! As you've had a condom break on you, make sure you look at the links in my signature line. A correctly used condom RARELY breaks.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline daman884

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 02:32:18 pm »
Ann,

I believe the condom broke for two reasons: one was alcohol, and two was that I was using a condom purchased in Asia and it was a little snug. I didn't even realize I wasn't protected until half a minute later. This is also due to the fact that I am not sexually experienced and did not pick up on the difference in feeling right away. I will definitely be checked for gonorrhea and chlamydia when I return for my follow up. I did not mean to imply just sex workers become infected with HIV...in fact, I'm almost positive that two of the girls I had contact with were not sex workers...rather girls who really liked foreign guys. I was just making the point that any person (with the exception of me...they were my first experiences) who sleeps with another the first day they meet might have done that kind of thing before...and therefore is more at risk for STDs and STIs than others.

In my anxiety, I have fairly extensively researched HIV transmission online, and have discovered that most new cases are a result of partners who have unprotected intercourse many, many times (often years) with one of the two being HIV +, intravenous drug users, and unprotected homosexual intercourse (for the simple reason that HIV is transmitted  more easily through anal intercourse than vaginal). Like you mentioned, HIV transmission from a one time unprotected vaginal encounter between a man and a woman is a risk...but a small one. However, it has been known to happen and in should in no way justify unprotected sex with a partner of unknown status. 

Thank you for your reassurance. I will probably frequent this board over the next few days, and hope I don't bother anyone with my inputs, comments, or questions. I do understand how you must get ridiculously tired of posting the same responses to people over and over again. Everyone thinks their exposure is a little different from others who have had similar experiences on this forum, and I am no exception.  :)  Either that...or they don't bother to look at any of the other posts...

Thank you...you are very kind souls.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 02:42:13 pm by daman884 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 03:04:30 pm »
daman,

I will probably frequent this board over the next few days, and hope I don't bother anyone with my inputs, comments, or questions.

You won't bother anyone, as long as you make sure you read the Welcome Thread and abide by our forum posting guidelines.

Get productively busy while you wait for your results and you'll be surprised how quickly the time passes. Go get stuck into that project you've thought about doing, go ride your bike, go for a swim, anything other than surfing the internet - including this forum. It's bad for your nerves. Oh, and keep yer mitts OFF your glands!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline daman884

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 04:11:40 pm »
Thanks Ann,

I am taking off to BBQ my friends are having and will try not to check this board again until tomorrow.  :)

Offline daman884

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 08:19:01 pm »
I'm still here and trying to go about life as normal until Wednesday...but these damn nodes are still bothering me. It's like a throbbing pain that moves from place to place and is sometimes warm. They aren't visibly swollen, though, and my throat is a little tender. Are there any nodes in your chest below the collarbone. I have also done a little more goggling and figured out folliculitis is characteristic of HIV infections...and I'm like great...I've had a couple of those red spots pop up recently.

I've also spent a lot of time on thebody.com and read many many many stories about symptoms and that they are NEVER a good indicator. I've got until Wednesday to get my test results...I didn't take a rapid test...I probably should have to save myself this anxiety, but I didn't really know that was an option.  On the brighter side...I am still making my preparations to move to Japan, however...it's always in the back of my mind that I if this doesn't turn out alright...I won't be able to go...

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 08:56:24 pm »
Daman,

Like Ann I expect you to return a negative result.

As for your nodes, allow me to offer you some advice.

Stop poking them. Prodding your nodes will make them swell. Don't tell me you're not poking at them, because I know you are. You're racing to the bathroom mirror every 30 mins and prodding away. Stop it and they'll settle down.

Follow Ann's excellent advice about remaining productive and you'll get through this ok.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 05:03:52 am »
Daman,

What did I tell you about Googling/surfing? Don't expect to be allowed to come here to wring your hands over every little bit of misinformation you find on the internet.

Folliculitis is a characteristic of LIFE as a human being with hair follicles. Nothing more, nothing less. You don't have to be hiv positive to have this problem.

Same thing with your nodes. Your lymph system will react to ANY infection in your body. That's what it does. They will also react to being poked and prodded and rubbed, so like we've been telling you, keep your mitts OFF.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline daman884

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 07:04:12 pm »
Hello all,

I only have a little while longer to wait until my appointment tomorrow morning. I have been dealing with this whole thing myself...and finally broke down and told a very close friend of mine last night what I have been going through. It was very relieving...but today I still have these stomach pains...and pains that move from my neck to elbows to chest...not really armpits today. This worries me only because these feelings are foreign to me. I am also aware your mind is much more sensitive to feelings in your body when you are looking for them.

All I can do is hope for the best. Thanks for your advice and reassurances. Believe me...I have learned a lot about myself from this experience...my perception of so many things has changed tremendously. It's funny how your priorities change when faced with your own mortality and future. Wish me luck. If all goes well, my last post on this board will be tomorrow afternoon confirming my negative status.

My best regards and wishes to you all.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 07:10:33 pm »
I have been dealing with this whole thing myself.

I think you'll find Ann and Rod took some time out of their day to help you deal with this.

..and finally broke down and told a very close friend of mine last night what I have been going through. It was very relieving

That's good. You should turn to your friends at times like these. As you've been told the most likely outcome is a negative result.

Regards,

MtD

Offline daman884

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 11:36:24 pm »
I have been dealing with this whole thing myself.

I think you'll find Ann and Rod took some time out of their day to help you deal with this.

Ackemm...thank you extraordinarily to Ann and Rod...and Matty.   ;D
I meant I had isolated myself from all the people close to me.

Offline daman884

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 12:21:18 pm »
My results were negative.  :) Thank everyone on this board so much for your advice, reassurances and support. I am living proof that symptoms really do mean nothing when it comes to the HIV virus. Let all the worriers read this post...I had

1.)Weight loss
2.)Swollen glands (which the doctor diagnosed as shotty glands{at least in my neck}
3)Pains that seemed to move from gland to gland in my body (neck, armpits, chest, elbows, knees, chest, etc)
4)Frequent urination
5)Little needle prick pains in my hands and feet
6)Rash under my arms
7)Fever

Symptoms really do mean nothing when it comes to trying to diagnose HIV...especially when attempting self self diagnosis. Just go get tested, and don't sink into a depression like I did. Ann is very right when saying that sex with a condom only last a matter of minutes, but HIV is forever!! Use a condom and be happy...or wait until you are in a monogamous relationship with a person and go get tested together.  ;D Oh yeah, and the worst thing anyone can possibly do is goggle symptoms. You type in something non-specific like "foot pain," and all these HIV sites pop up. It's not worth it!!!

Stay well...and my best wishes to you all.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.