Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:02:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 215
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Would you Support Limited Bombing for Punitive Reasons?

Yes
7 (31.8%)
No
15 (68.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: September 29, 2013, 02:46:48 pm

Author Topic: Syrian Civil War  (Read 34597 times)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Syrian Civil War
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:13:50 pm »
I've been following this for awhile and now that it seems potentially the US might be getting involved with force I was wondering how you all feel.

Just in the last 24 hours the US has moved 4 destroyers just off the Syrian coast after chemical weapons were purportedly used by the govt against its civilians including women and children (for the second time)

Do you think we should Bomb Syrian Govt installations?

There is so much at play here, Are we sure it was the Govt and not the rebels who used the Chem weapons? The Admin (Biden and others) say they are certain it was the Govt, but can we be absolutely sure of our intelligence?

Both sides are pretty much "bad", on one side we have Syrias President Assad who is a brutal dictator, and on the other we have Rebels who are populated by terrorists and possibly Al queada.

Will bombing (targeted strikes) by the us drag us in deeper? Will it achieve anything? We cant take out the chemical weapons without boots on the ground, which the admin says is off the table. So are we just lobbing bombs (if we do) to show that we disapprove?

Do we do nothing and condone the gassing of innocent civilians?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:17:39 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline buginme2

Re: Syrian Civil War
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:44:33 pm »
If Syria had oil we would have been involved a long time ago.

If the US is serious about human rights we not only would have gone in earlier we wouldn't be doing "limited" strikes on limited government installations after the news showed hundreds of not thousands of dead civilians after being gassed.

We (the US) talk a good game about human rights.  I wish we would put some action in our rhetoric.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 10:02:04 pm »
Interesting , cruise missiles armed with human rights LOL . I do get your point but it seems all we may accomplish in this instance is to help to facilitate a way for a new dictator to come in .

If our goal is to kill a bunch of people to punish them for killing a bunch of people I see no point in it . If we keep invading country's that have not threatened us in any way because of a sense of moral imperative it wont end well eventually .

Im still not certain how I feel 100 % .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Basquo

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:19:25 pm »
With all the recent revelations about what the government does, I'm surprised that we haven't woken up on morning to learn that the Syrian prez was taken out by a drone. Not that it's the right thing to do, but it would seem that the U.S. has the ability to do so. And it doesn't take a Congressional review to do it, does it? Maybe someone should be beating down the door of the UN to get this addressed? I've seen this nightly on the news but rarely do they mention the UN.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:23:09 pm »
I understand your point and share your skepticism.  If we would stop invading countries for reasons such as oil, and fabricated threats and upheld our moral standards by using diplomacy first and force as a last resort when countries do gas their people we would be in a lot less wars and the ones we would be in would have a larger worldwide support.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 01:47:42 am »
We do not need to get embroiled in another war with a country in the middle east.  As far as I'm concerned we should pick up all our toys and go home.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 04:00:43 am »
Syria is a quagmire and I question the precise goal of a military intervention. Is the US going to choose a side in this civil war? Neither side seems worthy of our support. Is the purpose to prove to other countries that we will not tolerate the use of chemical weapons? Should the US military targets those, confirm they are destroyed and let the Syrians continue their conflict using conventional weapons? Before the US intervenes there should be a clear objective. I'm leaning towards targeting the chemical weapons, creating a plan to contain the violence to Syria and otherwise keeping the US military out of it. I am not sure the US military could take the steps necessary to stop the violence in Syria without making the overall situation in the Middle East worse.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 04:28:18 am »
Syria is a quagmire and I question the precise goal of a military intervention. Is the US going to choose a side in this civil war? Neither side seems worthy of our support. Is the purpose to prove to other countries that we will not tolerate the use of chemical weapons? Should the US military targets those, confirm they are destroyed and let the Syrians continue their conflict using conventional weapons? Before the US intervenes there should be a clear objective. I'm leaning towards targeting the chemical weapons, creating a plan to contain the violence to Syria and otherwise keeping the US military out of it. I am not sure the US military could take the steps necessary to stop the violence in Syria without making the overall situation in the Middle East worse.

The war in Iraq started as a hunt for chemical weapons and WMDs. I politely disagree with invading for this purpose (again).

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 08:53:04 am »
I found it odd while listening to the news about this issue.  The European Union supports the US invading the Syrian government.  Really?  Perhaps the US should simply report that we're OK with whatever THEY decide to do.

Obviously, I spent a great deal of time around veterans, most of whom have served in foreign wars.  These types of situations are usually discussed at great length.  The majority of those discussing the Syrian situation support a US strike.  And NO, they don't always automatically support military strikes.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 10:34:52 am »
I'm totally at a loss on what to do.

There are zero good options.

I don't think the Admin wants to force regime change by taking out Assad...If we take out Assad and hand the country over to the Rebels then there will be more bloodshed with the rebels massacrering the Christians and the Alawites who are supporting the Assad regime. Will that be our fault then? Would we be forced to act on those attrocities since we brought it about?

The chemical attacks killed approx 1200 people they are saying. But prior to that 100,000 people have died while we stood by and watched. So by this, clearly we are not concerned about the humanitarian aspect of it.

It's all about the chem weapons.

But I'm hearing we cannot take out the chem weapons with tomahawk missiles without dispersing the agents and possibly killing more people.

So what are we targeting and why?

Assad has threatened to retaliate if the US attacks. Is this bluster or will they target Israel or other western interests? Will Assad allow Hezbollah to aquire some of the chem weapons to use against Israel?

I would hate to be in Obama's shoes right now and having to make these decisions.

Personally I think we have to do something, maybe limited strikes against some of the units responsible for using the chem weapons, and maybe some strikes against the command structures responsible for directing the chem weapons. Very limited though and not enough to decapitate the regime. And then afterward immediately pull the destroyers away from Syria.

And let the cards fall where they may.

But even this will not prevent the further slaughter of women and children.

So I'm back to being at a loss of what to do.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline wolfter

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:47:53 am »
I so agree Willy, there are no good options available.  Based on remarks from FB peeps, O'bama will be wrong regardless of his course of actions.  Definitely a loose/loose situation.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 11:16:25 am »
Now that it's well known that 50% of North Koreans are meth addicts I say we bomb them instead. 8)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 11:28:36 am »
Watch and wait, send humanitarian aid, and pick up the pieces?  Pursue crimes through world courts?  Let powers in the region figure out what to do, if they have an interest and their own citizens and parliaments let them?  Israel, Turkey, Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc.
The "line" on chemical weapons was misguided and also misinterpreted. The USA Hawks and defence contractors would be perfectly happy to get the military directly involved in regime change and then happy some more to be discontent with the islamicist replacement.  Hello, sound like Egypt?  I guess punitive strikes are unavoidable but still they are regrettable. 
I say stay out of it completely.  Its a pity these countries have to go through these civil wars but what the fuck is the USA to do in 2013. 
Spend money and effort rebuilding the USA.  Walk and talk a high moral line in global affairs but does this have to include military might, participation in destruction, deaths, which would be senseless, leaving nothing better in its place? 

Ideally, its up to people to figure out their own country's destiny, not the US government and military. 

But these aren't ideal circumstances. 

IMO it would be courageous for the US to be pacifist through and through. Though it wouldn't be pretty for the Syrians. 

As a caveat, i guess if Bashar or his "rogue" brother is willing to gas his own people, I don't have a problem with other countries providing the "rebels" with arms. Except that we have been down that road. Different powers will will give each side arms and its a terrible, old, futile story.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:38:38 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 11:44:07 am »
I say leave this shit storm for the muslim countries to figure out themselves.  For that matter, let the Arab League members carry out the "punitive strikes".  Maybe if they use their toys, they have to buy some more...
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mitch777

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 11:51:09 am »
Chemicals aren't all bad. I think a few drops of love potion in their water source could do wonders.

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 01:56:42 pm »
The more I think about the situation and after reading that a large majority of Americans polled do not support intervention I think the US should withdraw and Obama should spin it that he is doing the will of the American people.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 02:12:00 pm »
I think many Americans may feel that if we go in foreign counties and get rid of a bad guy that things will turn around and they will want democracy as much as we do , its not so on a wholesale level .

I saw a poll CNN after the Iraq war was over and the majority of the people who were stopped on the street and asked what form of government would they like to have and many many of them replied they wouldn't mind another dictator if he would do what he was supposed to do . Although it wasn't a scientific poll it shows the stark contrast to what our citizens would say if asked the same question .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 02:25:25 pm »
A recent poll in Louisiana showed 28% thought Obama was responsible during Hurricane Katrina. I think a similar number answered correctly that it was Bush, and the remaining were "not sure". Now seriously, you want to run foreign relations according to polling? I'd tend to agree if the poll respondent had to first correctly identify Syria on a map, state the name of the largest city and a ballpark estimate of the country's population.

Offline mecch

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 02:33:03 pm »
Homosexcicles were responsible for Katrina. Everyone knows it was God's wrath.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 02:46:55 pm »
Now seriously, you want to run foreign relations according to polling?

Definitely not. Whatever action Obama takes, polling should be used to persuade voters he made the best decision, that he was responding to the will of the American people.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 03:11:37 pm »
From what I'm reading now is that US intelligence intercepted a call from the Syrian Defense chief demanding an explanation from its chemical weapons unit after the attack, and whatever communication was exchanged between these entities it's clear which side used the weapons. It's also probably why even the French are on board with whatever is about to happen.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 03:21:27 pm »
From what I'm reading now is that US intelligence intercepted a call from the Syrian Defense chief demanding an explanation from its chemical weapons unit after the attack, and whatever communication was exchanged between these entities it's clear which side used the weapons. It's also probably why even the French are on board with whatever is about to happen.

The Guardian is reporting it was Israeli intelligence that intercepted the communications, and the Israelis told the Americans. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/28/israeli-intelligence-intercepted-syria-chemical-talk
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 04:35:45 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/28/august-2013-cable-news-ratings_n_3830890.html?ref=topbar

Looks like most of America watches only Fox News.  So what does Fox News want?
Fox News and plus the Republican House. 

Is there any public opinion polling thats not about invading, not about troups, just about the "narrowly defined" punitive bombing with missiles?  Why do i guess that most American stakeholders would be AOK with that.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 05:45:14 pm »
I think we should stay the hell out of it! It's not our fight. We have too many problems here we need to focus on. I think we should only go to war if it's a direct attack on us or directly in our national interest. The Middle East is nothing but trouble, we can't be the world policeman. There's too many unknowns, all of which are pretty bad. Assad may be a bad dictator, but there's a ton of dictators in the world. So what. And better him than some radical Islamist state like Iran. Let them fight it out. The Assads have ruled Syria for decades & kept it in line until the recent war started. At least he is the devil we know. The rebels may be worse.

We've seen what's happened when we jumped into wars too quickly, they don't go very well. Anyone remember Iraq? You have to have a clear strategic objective. If we get involved Assad may well lash out even more and has tons of chemical weapons he could hit Israel with or gas his own people more. Again it's not our fight and it's not an immediate threat to us so we should stay out.

Assad using chemical weapons is really reprehensible, but we can't do much about it unless we're willing to go to war with him over it. In the 1980s the Iraqis used chemical weapons lots of times against Iran & the Kurds, & nothing was done, because it wasn't any of our business.

I'm glad Obama is being cautious. He should take a step back and see that we have enough problems & the Middle East is a minefield & we best stay the hell out of it! Not worth the risk or money!

"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline buginme2

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 11:11:29 am »
Did anyone see the debate in the British Parliament?

A.  Now that's what I call a debate.
B.  They voted no, they will not be along side the US in any attack.

If the US goes, they go alone. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 11:34:18 am »

Its not over by far . The no votes in parliament was very close and not a done deal .

I watched our president admit on tv that any air strikes we do will have little effect on the civil war and described it as a punishment and a shot across the bow of the Syrian regime . If that's the case then military action on the presidents part is mostly a political decision .

That war is being fought by two combatants that are not our friend no matter how the war ends , so I'm hoping we send humanitarian aid instead of missiles .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 11:42:32 am »
The drum beats of war have faded a tad in the last 48 hours. I wonder if this is an out the president needs, or will he have to stand by his "red line" comment.

Ps- I saw the Israeli govt handing out gas masks to all its citizens yesterday. What a way to have to live
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 01:26:25 pm »
Anyone just catch Kerry's speech. Start beating those war drums people, clearly we will begin bombing soon (now that Assad has had a chance to move women and children into our targets  ::))

He made some cogent arguments, and put forth good evidence. Although I always wonder about our sources now.

Kerry- "Allowing a dictator to use Chemical weapons with impunity sets a precedent".

hmmm.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:33:53 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 01:34:44 pm »
426 children killed by chemical weapons, and yet some folks fixate on abortion.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 01:36:00 pm »

That's kinda correct.  They voted to not immediately offer support until/if evidence is shown. 

Quoted from the NYT; "But Mr. Obama’s efforts to marshal a unified international front for a short, punitive strike raised concerns about the evidence, reawakening British resentment over false assurances from the American and British governments that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 01:40:40 pm »
I think it's magnificent that America's new coalition partner is arriving in the form of a French socialist. Methinks it's time for a new "special relationship" based on escargot.

So what will the "freedom fries" of 2013 take the form of in terms of an anti-British food item?

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 01:56:08 pm »
I think it's magnificent that America's new coalition partner is arriving in the form of a French socialist. Methinks it's time for a new "special relationship" based on escargot.

So what will the "freedom fries" of 2013 take the form of in terms of an anti-British food item?

I'm curious where you stand on this issue, afterall I need to know what my buddy thinks. Would you bomb or not?

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mecch

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 02:21:57 pm »
But the American public isn't behind the "punitive bombing" and isn't behind the idea of another war, either.  So who's going to get angry at the British? Press coverage and buzz is more like envious, of their common sense. 

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 02:47:34 pm »
This thread is NEW AND IMPROVED with a just added poll!!

Be sure to record your choice!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 03:42:14 pm »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 03:57:49 pm »
If we were going to act with missile strikes, we should have done so with speed AND SILENCE.  Now, they have had time to move things from obvious targets and, as someone else pointed out, moved civilians into these areas.

Military action, of this sort, should really not have a "marketing campaign" -- do it and then talk, or don't do it at all.  Now, if we were to be considering an invasion -- perhaps a QUICK "campaign" to get Congress bought in and hopefully willing to do their duty and declare war.  (No, I am NOT advocating either action -- just pointing out the ridiculousness of putting any type of military action to a "public referendum".  The other side reads papers too!!

Hence, I shall vote "no" to this little poll, because the window of opportunity has now passed.

M

Offline Matts

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 04:32:46 pm »
The Communist Mr. Hollande and the USA- the land of unfiltrated capitalism- I'm curious what this new coalition will produce in the future. And the UK not the compliant partner of the Big Brother. This will get interesting:)
I think that France has realized a great opportunity to get the third Superpower. As I know them, they always wanted it. :)
Dovato

Offline mecch

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 04:36:04 pm »
How can you do a stealthy response if the proper procedure is to have Congress debate it.  I don't think there is much precedent for "punitive" strikes - its just another kind of war act. The executive branch will come up with the legal parameters. I agree a stealthy quick strike would have had many advantages.  But was it possible? And what would have been the political fallout to that. 
Now it sounds like more lose lose, I agree. I doubt there is going to be much of a debate, if the strikes are coming on Sunday night. So they blabbed, and didn't get the congressional stamp of approval that should have come with blabbing...  :(

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 05:08:39 pm »
How can you do a stealthy response if the proper procedure is to have Congress debate it.  I don't think there is much precedent for "punitive" strikes - its just another kind of war act. The executive branch will come up with the legal parameters. I agree a stealthy quick strike would have had many advantages.  But was it possible? And what would have been the political fallout to that. 
Now it sounds like more lose lose, I agree. I doubt there is going to be much of a debate, if the strikes are coming on Sunday night. So they blabbed, and didn't get the congressional stamp of approval that should have come with blabbing...  :(

Well, the Congress hasn't declared war in decades and decades, so I'm not seeing that anyone really feels that it would be required for some surgical air strikes (well, the out of power party perhaps does....).  However, there has been little debate in declarations that have happened in the past.  Take WWII -- Pearl Harbor attacked on 12/7, war declared on 12/8.  Different circumstances, true -- but there was a time when Congress could act swiftly.

I think there would have been little real political fallout from a swift strike, so long as the targets were chosen well.  Now there are no targets that could be "well chosen".  In matters military, more than just about any other, it's important to remember that the US is NOT a Democracy -- but a Republic.  We elect our leaders to lead -- if they do things we don't like, we "unelect" them the next time around.

I find it interesting that folks insist on gauging public opinion only when something has happened or is about to happen that they don't agree with.  I mean, I'm not hearing anyone on here demand that the public weigh in as to whether same-sex couples should be able to file joint tax returns if they live in a state that bans same sex marriage??  Although if I watched Fox News, I might here a call for it.......

Mike

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2013, 05:40:43 pm »

We all know that can change in a heart beat, it happened in WWll, remember what Roosevelt said in 1940.

"I have said this before, but I shall say it again and again: your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign wars"

Yet one year later he sent their boys into war.

Aroha
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 06:38:52 pm »
Again, it's simply none of our business point blank. It sounds like it's a done deal we are going to yet another war in the middle east. We can't be the world's policeman. Lots of bad things happen, but if it doesn't directly affect us, we should stay out. We're broke, & have a ton of problems here that need fixing thanks to the wasted billions we spend in Iraq. Again we should only go to war if it affects us directly. Assad is a horrible dictator but he didn't attack us. So how is it our business? It's terrible that he gassed his own people but how do we know what we're getting into? What is he decides to attack Israel with chemical weapons? I am not anti-war, but this is not our fight. Syria didn't attack us. We shouldn't spend money on another war that we have no stake in.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 11:08:04 pm »
LMAO

“So we’re bombing Syria because Syria is bombing Syria? And I’m the idiot? Let Allah sort it out” - Sarah Palin
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2013, 01:34:29 am »
LMAO

“So we’re bombing Syria because Syria is bombing Syria? And I’m the idiot? Let Allah sort it out” - Sarah Palin

Isn't it scary that she could have been in power, and a heart beat away?  I mean, that is scary to think.  Millions voted for them.  If not for the Bush backlash and if the "secret Muslim" attacks worked better, she and McCain could be sitting in the Situation Room.  That is really disturbing.

http://youtu.be/PsvlkWykDBQ

Modified

Do you think she masturbates to the video she forces them to show?  Is that why her hair is all messed up?  Then, after the Sarah porn, she has the nerve to say the cause isn't about her. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:37:08 am by tednlou2 »

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2013, 03:25:49 pm »
the reason we  maintain a  strong Military is  and always  has been to " Protect  the  citizens of the USA"    I see  no  real  evidence that  bombing or  any other  interference  in Syria  will  do that...no matter the polls, grandstanding  or opinions  put forth  from  whatever  source...  Obama  put  his foot  firmly in  his mouth  about  "drawing lines"   that is a political  problem  he  has to  solve..  all the  Red Herrings  about  "moral"  stands  is pure  BS  there are so many  things in this  world  that require "moral stands"  no  government  or  combination of  them  can  deal with  them by using a  few  bombs  and well  spun   press releases

to  those  that  seem to  require  some action  let the locals  deal with it..neighbors  like Israel,Jordan,and the  other  Arab League  ,states  that  have  personal  and  practical issues  with  Syria's  actions...they all have  access to  modern weapons and  Armies  if that is  their  choice of  solutions

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline mecch

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2013, 04:48:15 pm »
Yeah I agree, as I said above let the region step up to the plate, or not, as they want. Arab League hello?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2013, 05:07:08 pm »
If memory serves me correctly, a decade after the US Constitution was ratified two different founding fathers launched foreign wars to protect business interests. 8)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2013, 05:10:10 pm »
Yeah I agree, as I said above let the region step up to the plate, or not, as they want. Arab League hello?

I'm thinking that's not going to happen. I also agree that the US shouldn't be the "world police".
People are getting killed by a dictator. I don't know what the solution is at this point.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2013, 05:19:35 pm »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2013, 05:48:03 pm »
I'm with Kerry and Obama on this (I cant believe I just typed that) ...we cannot let this stand.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2013, 05:50:08 pm »
I can't wait to watch Grumpy McCain and NancyBoy Graham call Senators Cruz and Paul something worse than "wacko birds" in two weeks.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.