Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:45:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 379
Total: 379

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV Getting Too Much of World's Attention and Money, Analyst Says  (Read 10989 times)

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
"We have created a monster," says health policy analyst Roger England. He's not talking about HIV itself; he's talking about the global efforts to fight it.
In a contentious article published in one of the world's top medical journals, England accuses international organizations like UNAIDS of doing too much to fight HIV, at the expense of fighting other diseases and improving health systems in poor countries.
It's time to shut down UNAIDS and start "putting HIV in its place," England writes. (Article from BMJ)

Full text: http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/336/7652/1072

Offline hankgaguy

• June2008
Re: HIV Getting Too Much of World's Attention and Money, Analyst Says
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:50:33 pm »
While this gentleman may not be completely "right"; He's not completely wrong, either.

The largest increase in funding the global battle on HIV/AIDS began with the 2003 State of the Union speech by GW Bush, who, interestingly enough, moved the funding stream for treatment and prevention (!) of HIV infection from the "millions" to the "billions". Unfortunately, of the $15 Billion promised, only $1 Billion was devoted to HIV prevention and education, and that was with strings attached. Namely, the string was the near elimination of the "C" from the proven "ABC" campaign (Abstinence, Be faithful to your partner, and Condom use when A or B is not the chosen choice.

HIV/AIDS has had to bear the social stigma of its roots of discovery linking the initial cases to gay men and intravenous drug users. Additionally, nations have "swept under the rug" their HIV problems due to such stigma and realities of failures of blood donation programs, as well as societal concerns of "outsiders" messing in their business or cultural beliefs.

It may be that, with the effort increased beginning with that 2003 speech, the fight against HIV is perhaps overemphasized over other pressing concerns (systemic problems with sanitation and healthcare delivery). Perhaps there is an HIV/AIDS "bubble" in funding?? That question will be answered over time.

The facts are that HIV/AIDS does not have cure, and that it has decimated large segments of population in Sub-Saharan Africa (and worst in South Africa). The possible instabilities that could be created with an unchecked spread is a global threat.

Perhaps the funding increase would be better placed into EDUCATION for prevention, and then treatment/research. There is no better example of the success of education than the TASO group in Uganda. That organization had the support from the top down, with full acknowledgement of President Museveni. AND, it used ABC in an open and practical manner that related to the country's residents and general education levels.

The vaccine program has been such a disaster, with little efficacy shown in nearly all trials and approaches. I'm more a fan of KP-1461 that is in Phase II A testing by Koronis Pharmaceuticals, which promotes Viral Decay Acceleration as a possible eradication measure (proven In Vitro, but remains to be seen In Vivo).

Until THIS COUNTRY can overturn the ban for federal funding on education campaigns that address all of the ABC measures in an open and non-judgemental fashion, then neither will the rest of the world.

If GW wants to privatize it for huge cash infusion, then do it. Give it to the Gates Foundation, who is by far less judgemental than Halliburton would be, LOL.

Enough of my political view. Just wanted to state that the article likely has some merit. But definitely one-sided.
Healthy, Happy, and Kickin' Butt

Offline John2038

Offline hankgaguy

• June2008
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 01:13:13 pm »
Hmmmmm, not sure of what that link implies.

True, the cost of the conflict is frighteningly expensive. But, as may be with HIV/AIDS, simply "throwing $$$" to the issue may not the only answer. It may be where the money's being thrown to that counts.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 01:29:28 pm »

Me either, considering that John is not an American taxpayer.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 01:31:15 pm »

It implies that he's secretly in love with Dachshund.  That's been embedded in Doxie's profile since goodness knows when.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline John2038

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 01:40:08 pm »
Me either, considering that John is not an American taxpayer.

In the title:  HIV Getting Too Much of World's Attention and Money, Analyst Says

HIV have no border.

Offline John2038

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 02:21:08 pm »
simply "throwing $$$" to the issue may not the only answer. It may be where the money's being thrown to that counts.

True I guess (as with the vaccines). But we learn also from the failures.

Where ever is thrown the money, at the end, the pharmaceutical companies are making profits (good), worldwide.
And the money invested in the research is as such coming back through the tax.

HIV is a huge pandemic threatening everyone. As such, it make sense that it is having the World's attention and money.
Fortunately, the discovery made for HIV might also be beneficial for others disease.
But t is true for others diseases as well (beneficial for HIV).

Offline hankgaguy

• June2008
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 03:49:17 pm »
The vaccine dilemma has been rather sketchy at best, and nearly criminal at worst with so many charged personalities (Gallo, Fauci, Baltimore, Francis, Piott, etc.), lack of worldwide coordination, and competition for so many trials, etc.

Perhaps there should be better coordination between money for vaccines versus treatment/eradication.

There's still no retrovirus that has a vaccine to my knowledge, and, perhaps, it may be a futile effort. The better aspect could be advanced genetics and better study of the "reservoiir areas" in the lymphatic system and the brain where it's still difficult to deliver the cocktail.

Money is a good thing, but money well spent is another.

Offline Central79

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 03:17:16 pm »
The Copenhagen Convention is a meeting of the world's leading economists that get together and try and work out where to best spend a theoretical $50 billion in order to do most good, in dollar terms. It's going on now but it's worth noting that in 2004 they put HIV/AIDS at the top of the list - not only because the epidemic continues to get worse, but also because it affects large numbers of economically active adults in some countries - enough to cripple that country's economic development and send them in to a downward spiral of poverty, worse health care and yet more HIV infections.

http://reason.com/news/show/126672.html

I think HIV continues to be very important, and not just because I have it! I sometimes try to imagine what the HIV picture, and the whole of Africa, would look like if the world had gotten out in front of the epidemic from the beginning. Instead we're still arguing about the C in ABC and the sexual practices of Africans. The epidemic continues to spread, and we have singularly failed to contain it. Where will we be in 10 or 20 years without a vaccine or a cure. Or even just with a vaccine?

Personally I think a cure for HIV infection needs to be found in order to control HIV. It may be easier than a vaccine, as with Hepatitis C, which is curable in a large majority of cases but has no vaccine. It also has the benefit of taking the huge burden of medication and care off the economies of developing (and developed) countries.

Matt.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 03:51:14 pm »
The article's first paragraph sets the tone for the entire article, and it's pretty nasty:

The creation of UNAIDS, the joint United Nations programme on HIV and AIDS, was justified by the proposition that HIV is exceptional. The foundations of exceptionalism were laid when the "rights" arguments of gay men succeeded in making HIV a special case that demanded confidentiality and informed consent and discouraged routine testing and tracing of contacts, contrary to proved experience in public health.1 But exceptionalism grew—to encompass HIV as a disease of poverty, a developmental catastrophe, and an emergency demanding special measures, requiring multisectoral interventions beyond the leadership of the World Health Organization.

He goes on to claim:

These fractures in the structure of exceptionalism are now obvious. Less obvious is the possibility that it is exceptionalism, not rural Africans, that drives stigma and discrimination

In effect, that the stigma associated with HIV is largely a product of health workers's and patient's attempt to keep treatment as private and discrete as possible!

The guy's argument is fucked up, to say the very least.

He also claims that HIV doesn't kill enough people to warrant all the fuss it's caused:

HIV exceptionalism is dead—and the writing is on the wall for UNAIDS. Why a UN agency for HIV and not for pneumonia or diabetes, which both kill more people?

Worldwide the number of deaths from HIV each year is about the same as that among children aged under 5 years in India.

I find his "logic" chilling.

I'm no fan of the UN, but what other international body exists to manage and disperse money and other resources from the world's wealthiest nations to its poorest?

Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 06:53:39 pm »
There's an interesting (but long) paper from researchers at the World Health Organization that suggests a number of reasons why HIV AIDS should remain on top of the agenda at the UN.  Basically, the researchers went through and projected causes of death and disability on a global basis around the world from 2002 to 2030.

Their projections show HIV increasing as a cause of death, while other communicable diseases decrease, and at a faster rate than other diseases such as diabetes. 

Table 1. Projected Average Annual Rates of Change in Age-Standardized Death Rates for Selected Causes: World, 2002–2020
Average Annual Change (Percent) in Age-Standardized Death Rate
Cause Males Females

Tuberculosis –5.4 –5.3
HIV/AIDS 3.0 2.1
Malaria –1.3 –1.5
Other infectious diseases –3.4 –3.3
Respiratory infections –2.7 –3.4
Perinatal conditionsa –1.7 –1.9
Other Group I –3.0 –3.6

All causes of death in this group, which generally includes infectious diseases, are declining except HIV/AIDS

But even more importantly from a global resource allocation perspective they show HIV becoming by far the biggest source of decrease in productive life years, measured in terms of the decrease in Disability Adjusted Life Years ( the years of life lost due to premature mortality plus the years lost due to disability).  The table below shows HIV as responsible for 12.1% of potential years lost to disability or early death, more than double the next highest projected cause.

Table 6. Ten Leading Causes of DALYs, by Income Group and Sex, 2030 (Baseline Scenario)
Rank Disease or Injury      Percent Total DALYs
World
1 HIV/AIDS 12.1
2 Unipolar depressive disorders 5.7
3 Ischaemic heart disease 4.7
4 Road traffic accidents 4.2
5 Perinatal conditions 4.0
6 Cerebrovascular disease 3.9
7 COPD 3.1
8 Lower respiratory infections 3.0
9 Hearing loss, adult onset 2.5
10 Cataracts 2.5

This decrease occurs almost entirely in middle and low income countries -- HIV is not projected to be in the top 10 causes of lost productive years among the wealthy countries by 2030.

All of this points to a conclusion contrary to that of the article -- HIV remains the largest potential threat in terms of growth in disease and is poised to become by far the largest source of lost years of life and health in the coming decades.  It remains -- very unfortunately -- an exceptional problem which calls for exceptional attention.

http://medicine.plosjournals.org/archive/1549-1676/3/11/pdf/10.1371_journal.pmed.0030442-S.pdf

Assurbanipal

(n.b. apologies for the lousy formatting of the copied in tables -- someday I need to figure out how to paste a picture correctly on here -- they often don't paste or come out huge or tiny)
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 07:04:08 pm »
The man that wrote this is from Grenada.  I'm not sure why I should pay much attention from someone from a spec of dust that holds 89,000 people.

Offline chm02

• id est
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 01:09:19 am »
Isn't Grenada known for its quack mills that churn out phoney M.D.s?
I think it's a line item on their national budget.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 05:35:57 am »
I'm not sure why I should pay much attention from someone from a spec of dust that holds 89,000 people.

There's only 80,000 people on the (slightly bigger) spec of dust I live on. Oh, and the latest available population count from Granada is a whopping 110,000.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline John2038

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 06:36:34 am »
The man that wrote this is from Grenada.  I'm not sure why I should pay much attention from someone from a spec of dust that holds 89,000 people.

So we must only listen to :
_Chinese
_Indian
_European

etc... (in more than you) ?

A correct interpretation of your thinking ?

And how many people are reading  this  publication is not important
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:43:24 am by John2038 »

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 09:14:01 am »
_Chinese
_Indian
_European

No, John, we should heed voices from tiny islands with ramshackle higher education, but only if those voices are reasoned in what they say and in how they apply knowledge.  The writer spews current statistics and factoids without deploying models to examine the future impact of unaddressed HIV and the present that could have been possible without HIV, and he takes a very narrow economic view without considering the human suffering and political instability imposed by HIV.

Worse, though, the writer's credentials and those of his "Health Systems Workshop" are uncertain.  Any number of people get degreed by prestigious institutions, then noodle off to work their own bizarre thinking in relative darkness and without exposure to any thought that would challenge them.  As there's no CV or list of cooperating members on the writer's HWS website, I'd tend to liken him to an epidemiological Unibomber than a great thinker.  What would he have done about the quest for a polio vaccine or any number of diseases?  Abandon them simply because poverty and the lack of potable water kill more people?

Namaste,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 09:49:51 am »
post or write something controversial and you get a lot of attention

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 10:34:45 am »

You mean something like:  get on your knees and blow me, ya poz poof!?   :o
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 10:38:23 am »
actually the roles would be reversed ...doh!

and namaste   ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 10:59:37 am »
_Chinese
_Indian
_European

etc... (in more than you) ?

A correct interpretation of your thinking ?

Lately I feel like excluding individuals from Belgium.  They seem to hand out science degrees to anyone there.

Offline John2038

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 11:22:57 am »

Everything is controversial.

So why you "post or write" ?

Offline John2038

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 11:25:22 am »
Lately I feel like excluding individuals from Belgium.  They seem to hand out science degrees to anyone there.

You have 7000+ post maybe you want to take a breath ?

Note
Re-read you, in this thread or others.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 11:42:09 am »

Philly -- please quit the constant digs at John.

Thanks,

Peter

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 11:53:31 am »
Everything is controversial.

So why you "post or write" ?

just making an observation

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.