Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:22:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 225
Total: 225

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: To Ann or anyone with some words of wisdom  (Read 18491 times)

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
To Ann or anyone with some words of wisdom
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:10:18 pm »
Hi I am a 23 year old male who had unprotected sex with a female I do not know too well (stupid I know) but I got tested at approximately 10 weeks after the incident. (within a couple days) and it came back negative.  The only reason I was really worried is because shortly after we had sex probably a couple weeks i developed jock itch and a couple weeks after that a stubborn cough that was bad for a few weeks and some minor sinus problems (stuffed up nose) .. (i go to the gym very frequently and work outside so this probably isn't helping the jock itch which has subsided some, but not entirely with medication.) I haven't experienced a fever, lymph nodes, weight loss, lethargy or any other symptoms that i am aware of (I know symptoms do not tell the whole story) and was basically wondering how accurate the approx 9.5 -10 week test would be?  I am away on work for the next 2-3 weeks so cannot test and am just wondering? Also are what I mentioned common ars related symptoms? and if they were due to a possible infection would i not have tested positive?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Other than the jock itch and slight cough I feel great, Just a little worried.   I am worried because I read people with comprimised immune systems can have a hard time getting rid of jock itch.. Thanks for your time.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: To Ann or anyone with some words of wisdom
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:50:09 pm »
Nothing you are reporting symptomatically is in anyway HIV specific.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days after a risk. All but the smallest number of those who will seroconvert will do so within  4-6 weeks after an exposure.

With your negative test result at 10 weeks, I certainly expect you to test negative again when you re-test.

Discuss  your symptoms with your doctor if they persist. I don't see them as having anything to do with HIV.

Learn from this experience and stop having unprotected intercourse. You can have it with anyone you want to. Just do it the safer way and always, without exception, use a condom. They provide very effective protection.

I expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 03:53:57 pm »
Thank you very much for your reply Andy.. Is jock itch a typical ars symptom anyways? I heard it was more common in later stages of HIV but I never heard of it for early onset.  Also, if my symptoms were related to HIV wouldn't a test at 9.5 - 10 weeks be positive? Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it. I am just worried that I will be a late converter even though I know it is unlikely (not sure how unlikely exactly but still)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 03:57:14 pm »
You're not going to be a late converter.

Jock itch is absolutely not in anyway HIV-related.

You've got a few weeks to get through before you collect what I certainly expect will be a negative result.

Meanwhile you  need to focus on other things in your life because it will make the time pass more easily than you may imagine is possible. Don't bother saying you are too worried to do that because I can tell you that response will not fly here. Just do it.
Andy Velez

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:07:04 pm »
last question to anyone and i will let it rest until after i can get tested in a few weeks. typically if you were experiencing symptoms that were actually ars related, wouldn't you test positive shortly after if they were because of an hiv infection? 
and how often do you see someone who tests negative at the 9-10 week point, test positive at a later date?
thanks anyone for your time, i will not continue on after this one.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 09:13:25 pm »
No that is not necessarily true. It can take several months for there to be enough antibodies to be produced to be detected by the tests.

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:31:37 pm »
okay thanks rod, my doctor told me that my results were highly unlikely to change after 9.5 weeks, but i will test in a few weeks for peace of mind. I wasn't sure if she was just saying that to try and ease my stress or what.. So I guess I was just wondering for some other input because i have read these forums and they are very helpful.
Thank you for your time

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 11:39:28 pm »
It would very, very unlikely for a negative at 9.5 weeks to become a positive at 3 months. I expect you to continue to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 06:27:57 am »
Just,

I agree with Andy. I do not expect your result to change.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.
Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 09:03:10 am »
Thank you all for the words of wisdom, i really do appreciate it.  I really hope I continue to test negative I just wasn't sure because my doctor didn't seem convinced about a 9-10 week test so I began to worry, especially with the jock itch and cough I had. I didn't know how likely it was to change after a few more weeks.. But I was also checked for all other stis and I will be far more cautious in the future. 

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 12:13:10 pm »
so Ann, you do not see or hear very often someone seroconverting and testing positive after the 9-10 week mark? I am gone for a few weeks so im just trying to get a little bit of peace of mind.  Thanks for all the info guys

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 06:03:08 pm »
It is highly unlikely that you will test positive after a negative at 9-10 weeks.
Andy Velez

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 07:32:40 pm »
Ok thank you  from you knowledge is jock itch a typical ars?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 07:49:29 pm »
It absolutely is NOT a typical symtom of ARS.  
Andy Velez

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 04:35:28 pm »
to ann or andy- i cannot test for another week due to my work schedule, but i was curious ann in particular, i saw on another thread you wrote if symptoms were indeed related to hiv a test shortly after would likely be positive or at least indeterminate?  i am feeling pretty good about my 9.5 week test, trying not to stress out, my jock itch (which arrived approx 2 weeks or so after my encounter (although it could have been there longer as i have itched after the gym and what not) is getting a lot better and my cough and sinus problems is almost gone.
just one last question then i will leave it alone (sorry not trying to bother anyone)  but my cough probably developed 4-5 weeks after the one time unprotected sex and was pretty whooping with some chest congestion and eventually a runny/stuffed nose which lasted several weeks.. i have heard mixed things about a cough related to ars but i did not have a noticeable fever, rash, lack of energy, no overly swollen lymph nodes, weight loss or anything else. i know symptoms vary and aren't necessarily indicative but just from your knowledge i was wondering. so is a cough alone a typical symptom??
Thanks for your time, it is a great service you guys provide here and I will leave you all alone after this haha

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 05:30:35 pm »
And all of the so-called symptoms you are worrying about are in no way whatsoever HIV specific. 

You have a little bit of waiting time left to test and I continue to expect you to test negative.

Andy Velez

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 07:33:05 pm »
okay i was just curious  over whether a bad cough and sinus issues were related with hiv ars without the presence of any other typical symptoms

also the doctor who saw my jock itch viewed it very quickly, never scraped it or looked at it under a microscope so i wonder if it is a male yeast infection- and if a myi is a primary sign of ars?  it originally started under my scrotum but is on my scrotum and even my penis a bit although not on the head like penile yeast infections typically are and only itches under my scrotum (sorry too much info) .. 
and i was curious as to what anne said about symptoms being related to hiv a test shortly after would likely to be positive or at least indeterminate

either way i am still stressing as you can see and worry about my 66-70ish day result

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 09:34:27 pm »
Fortunately fears aren't facts. And I continue to expect you to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 12:55:09 pm »
ok i just read that a male yeast infection can be related to hiv or a weakened immune system and my "jock itch" or whatever it is is still present so i was wondering if that was typical with primary infection or occured later throughout the stages.. and some sites say jock itch cannot affect the penis or scrotum while others say it can, and my doctor believed it could so i really don't know what to believe, especially when the medication she prescribed only helped a little bit..but your advice has been very encouraging andy so thank you..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 04:46:04 pm »
...And while waiting to test you need to make a real effort to focus on other matters in your life. Really. You will find waiting time much easier to get through if you do that.
Andy Velez

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 05:59:29 pm »
thanks andy, another thing in my favour is that i asked my friend when the party happened as that was the night when it happened and it was a week earlier than what i had thought, so i am at 10.5 weeks not 9.5 as when i had previously thought.. takes another slight load off my mind even though 12 is conclusive that makes me feel a bit better still. but thanks for all the advice either way, you have been a real help and your website is a great resource.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 06:18:55 pm »
If you get a negative at 10.5 weeks then a negative at 3 months is going to be a slam dunk.
Andy Velez

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 06:24:39 pm »
I couldn't agree more andy

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 10:23:04 pm »
Good. Then we're in sync on that one.
Andy Velez

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
need some advice, or words of wisdom for final test
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 07:29:41 pm »
Hi Ann I was here a while ago, had a 9 week negative. I have worried over this, put it behind me, worried again. Had unprotected sex with a female two times, last being 9 weeks before test.  Finally went for a confirmation test, its now over 4 months after the incident. 
Any words of encouragement?
How often does a 9 week negative turn positive?
It is out of my hands now, I hope it will not have changed.
My symptoms started a couple weeks after the encounter, mainly just male yeast in groin or "jock itch" followed several weeks later by bad whooping cough, similar to bronchitis.  No real fever, rash etc. 
Anything that is in my favor I would love to hear, I am so nervous and won't hear back for a few days to a week

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
Re: need some advice, or words of wisdom for final test
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 07:32:14 pm »
i just don't understand the yeast problem which started about 1-2 weeks after the intercourse, however i did use a n-9 condom one time which could have a role maybe.  I don't know i'm scared it is due to my weakened immune system

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 07:36:38 pm »
First of all, I have merged your threads here. Please follow our rule in the future and keep all entries in this same thread.

None of the symptoms you are worrying about are in anyway HIV-specific.

As you have been told before, with a negative at 9 weeks it is very likely that you are going to test negative again. You just have to wait now and at the end I expect a happy result for you.

Your symptoms are something you should be addressing with your doctor. They are not about HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 07:36:50 pm »
the only reason i originally said 10 plus week neg, then 9 was because i thought we wore a condom the second time, now i am not sure, mind is doubting me.. sorry to ramble i am just so nervous

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 07:40:01 pm »
how can you be sure they are not about hiv andy? i saw ann say something about symptoms due to hiv are not due to the virus, but due to a reaction of seroconverting or something? does my test which occured weeks after all symptoms prove my symptoms were not hiv?
-do you know any reasons why a person could have a male candida problem and not due to weakened immunity? i did not take antibiotics right before hand either and did a cbc and diabetes test, all normal.
finally, have you seen a nine week change very often? some of the doctors on medhelp believed 8 weeks was definitive.
sorry to bother you, but thanks for the support.

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 08:33:09 pm »
any advice please help me , this waiting game is awful

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 09:20:33 pm »
Just,

The fungus that causes thrush lives on the bodies of every single person living on the planet. Friendly bacteria normally keeps it in check, but plenty of things can throw the balance out and cause people to have thrush infections. It has nothing to do with hiv.

I have never once seen a nine week negative result to change at the three month point. Stop stressing out already.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 09:27:54 pm »
Well Ann I will ask a couple final questions with the hope that I am not a huge idiot with regards to my situation.  I originally put my test behind me as I believed the result and met a girl and was dating her. We have had protected sex a few times, always.  We have each gave each other unprotected oral once and a few days ago she began getting sick with some minor chills, body aches and a sore throat. I hung out with her and my throat began getting a bit sore.  I am scared to death I did not retest and could have passed something on, even though I had a fairly good test time and I always tried to be safe.
Also I saw you say " If all the symptoms you list had anything to do with hiv seroconversion, you will have created enough antibodies by now. Seroconversion illness is not a reaction to the virus itself, it's a reaction to the process the body goes through while creating antibodies"  So this basically proves my symptoms which began anywhere from 4-7 weeks before my test were not due to HIV?  I saw Dr. Handsfield and Hook say antibody tests are always positive within 1-2 weeks of symptoms?  Any comments Please

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 09:29:02 pm »
Sorry to be so stressed Ann, I have never felt this way before.  So you are saying my yeast groin problem, which is now entirely gone has nothing to do with HIV? Could I have acquired a yeast infection from this girl as I have seen some sources say they can be transferred.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 07:29:13 am »
Just,

Ever hear of jock itch? Well, guess what, it's a yeast infection of the groin that men tend to get. Particularly in hot, humid weather or if you're into sports and sweat a lot as a result. Wear cotton underwear, change them every day and wash yourself every day and use an over-the-counter jock itch remedy. Simple as that.

It's nothing to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 07:38:15 am »
Yes i have but jock itch generally doesnt affect the genitals and this did making it more like candida which worries me.  Does my test which happened prob 7 weeks after prove its not due to hiv? Sor
ry ann im just so atressed

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 07:48:47 am »
I read that candida affects genitals and can reflect a weakenes immune system.  It was also difficult to get rid off creams did little it took an oral tablet to fully go away

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 08:04:25 am »
First of all, I have merged your threads here. Please follow our rule in the future and keep all entries in this same thread.

None of the symptoms you are worrying about are in anyway HIV-specific.

As you have been told before, with a negative at 9 weeks it is very likely that you are going to test negative again. You just have to wait now and at the end I expect a happy result for you.

Your symptoms are something you should be addressing with your doctor. They are not about HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 03:37:11 pm »
Ann is it true that symptoms are not from hiv but from the bodys reaction to it? I have seen you say something along those lines, and if so wouldn't that indicate my "symptoms" yeast, cough, sinus, sore throat only for a day or two were not due to hiv? i am just trying to understand

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 03:48:03 pm »
Just,

The illness that some people experience is the body's reaction to the process and chemicals it produces while creating antibodies.

If the symptoms you had before your approx 9.5 -10 week test had anything to do with hiv, you would have tested positive on that test.

From what you have written, you went either yesterday or the day before for your confirmation test. You're just going to have to sit tight while you wait to receive your NEGATIVE result. That is what we are fully expecting for you and have been repeatedly telling you.

Instead of asking the same questions over and over, re-read your entire thread. If you insist on continuing with this excessive posting, I'm going to give you a Time Out. Enough is enough already.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2011, 11:24:26 am »
hi ann me again, its been about two weeks and still no result yet, i am not nearly as nervous as i was before, just really want that damn test back.  i was just wondering though- it seems a lot of people on here have a bad illness ("seroconversion") yet still test negative a month or two after and it confuses me.
but i guess my only question is have you ever seen a 9+ week test turn positive at the end of the window period?  thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2011, 11:44:53 am »
Just,

I already answered that question. Re-read your entire thread before posting again. We've got better things to do with our Saturdays than to answer the same question over and over again from the same person.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2011, 12:03:54 pm »
hi guys just wanted to report i received a 16 week negative. i didn't hear back from the clinic where i had the blood taken i guess they haven't received my result yet but my family doctor called the lab and had the result faxed to him personally.  so i guess i can put this behind me then, as there is no need for further testing?
either way thank you guys so much, sorry for being such a pain.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2011, 12:51:49 pm »
"... so i guess i can put this behind me then, as there is no need for further testing?"

You GUESS you can put this behind you and put a question mark about further testing!

Man, you just don't seem to want to let go of this, although you are clearly and conclusively HIV negative.

You need to let go and get on with your life is what you need to do. Really.

And if you can't do that, then get yourself some professional help. We can't provide that in this setting. But you are definitely DONE here.
Andy Velez

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2011, 02:51:59 pm »
i agree i am done here. thanks andy

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2011, 04:20:51 pm »
You're welcome. Goodbye.
Andy Velez

Offline JustWondering

• Standard
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2011, 02:59:50 pm »
sorry to ask but one final thing- there is no need fora  final test in two months time at 6 months is there? my nurse seemed to insist on it.
and labs never mix up or wrongly interrupt results for a person do they? like if one was outside the window period and receives a negative they never mess up in the labs do they?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2011, 03:27:07 pm »
Just,

How many times do you have to be told?

Pay attention!

YOU. DO. NOT. NEED. FURTHER. TESTING.

YOU. DO. NOT. HAVE. HIV!!!!

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.