Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:07:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 216
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Effect of meds on liver  (Read 12066 times)

Offline Rockin

Effect of meds on liver
« on: December 18, 2011, 11:49:04 pm »
Well I noticed that now sometimes when I go on a binge drinking night I tend to suffer from awful hangovers and sometimes even rapid heartbeats. It doesn't happen everytime I drink but occasionally. This week, for example, I went out with friends and had like 5 vodka drinks. When I got home I felt noxious and my heart was beating real fast for like 30min-1 hour. Not fun at all.

My doctor said it's probably because of meds and how they make the liver work overtime. Therefore, the amount of alcohol puts even more pressure on it.

Now...after reading some posts here I tend to take what every doctor says out there with a grain of salt. How much damage HAART meds truly cause on the liver? Do any of you have, or have had, problems with alcohol?

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Effect of meds on liver
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 04:54:52 am »
I suspect this is an extremely individual experience - HAART and possible effects on liver.  And not fixed in time but varies according to your health, diet, patterns, etc.

What is important is that a night of drinking makes YOU feel ill.  Why not experiment over time to see what your tolerance is.  Obviously for the moment a night of drinking is not working for you. And your doctor offers an explanation. 

How long have you been on HAART?
How long have you been HIV positive?
What other medicine do you take?
How old are you and how much have you been drinking in recent years.

I am sure you can find a solution for you, alone, if you patiently explore different options and observe, over time.

A few years on Haart here.  I go through periods where I drink a lot, other times not. And my blood work always comes back normal - and I specifically ask about drinking and the doc says it does not seem to be a problem for me at this time.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:58:10 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 06:38:44 am »
I've noticed both of those things on my current combo -- it didn't seem to happen on my first one.  I only go to a bar occasionally, but when I drank was one of those guys who never got a hangover.   Now if I have more than a few drinks I pay for it.  I think the limit is somewhere around 4 standard servings

I find that I feel intoxicated with less alcohol too, though -- so when I can remember I just alternate a drink with a bottle of water.

Perhaps try spacing the drinks out?
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 07:10:49 am »
If you aren't feeling "noxious" when you don't drink -- perhaps you are looking at this from the wrong angle.  Perhaps it is the "binge drinking" that is having an effect on your liver.  The alcohol, your doctor should have pointed out, makes the liver 'work overtime' too.
If you have to do something about one or the other, it would seem that alcohol is the obvious choice, as this isn't required to continue living.

Just sayin.....

Mike

Offline Rockin

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:37:04 am »
I don't think I drink a lot...probably 2x a week. I compare myself to my mother's husband. He drinks everyday. One or two glasses of scotch. And he has a serious heart condition at age 61. I don't think I could handle drinking every day, it's too much.

On one hand is a good thing...I don't enjoy the excessive drinking and I know it's bad for me. I'm a health-conscious person but at the same time I'm a hedonist who enjoys all those bad things that we know we should not be doing.

I guess it also comes down to being single. If I had a boyfriend at the moment I'd probably be home a lot more and doing less "damaging things".

Offline Rockin

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 12:58:26 pm »
I'm also considering doing a testosterone cycle (i've always been on the skinny side and have difficulty gaining lean muscle at the gym) and I worry that, even if I cut back on alcohol, it might damage my liver, because of the meds.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 01:11:17 pm »
Liver disease is now a major cause of death for people who are HIV +.  I beleive it is now the #1 cause of death for hiv pos folks but I could be wrong. 

There are a number of reasons for this such as Hepatitis coinfection, a higher rate of alcoholism, long term antiviral usage, and the effect HIV itself has on the liver.

With that being said, you should be cognizant of the risk and do what you can to reduce it such as limiting your alcohol intake, get vaccinated for hep a/b, dont take drugs, be nice to your liver.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 01:15:32 pm »
Oh and you say you dont drink a lot, then say you binge drink twice a week, 5 vodka drinks each time.   Thats 10 vodka drinks a week.   Thats a lot to me, whats a lot to you?

Offline Rockin

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 01:39:16 pm »
Oh and you say you dont drink a lot, then say you binge drink twice a week, 5 vodka drinks each time.   Thats 10 vodka drinks a week.   Thats a lot to me, whats a lot to you?

I don't know really...what is too much anyway? A doctor friend of mine says the liver renegerates itself pretty quickly. I always assumed that, if you binge drink one night but stay off-alcohol for the next days then your liver should be ok.

I just don't know how, and how much, HAART meds affect the liver.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 02:07:25 pm »
Perhaps it is the "binge drinking" that is having an effect on your liver.
If you have to do something about one or the other, it would seem that alcohol is the obvious choice, as this isn't required to continue living.
quoted because this is really sound advice.

even if the meds are damaging your liver, you might have to change your priorities to what is the most important (the meds, doh! LOL). You can minimize the liver damage then not adding the alcohol to the mix. (anyone that's had to deal with hepatitis knows that sometimes it's the alcohol that has to go and not the meds.)

I don't enjoy the excessive drinking and I know it's bad for me. I'm a health-conscious person
your actions belie your words though. Binge drinking is not a very health-conscious choice. Maybe if you cut down one drink you might feel better. It's a place to start before crying about damage from the meds.  ;) Also you might want to consider the effects of the alcohol on your appetite and general health before you start testosterone. (which by the way have you been diagnosed with low T or just thinking that might be a fix for your issue?)

I guess it also comes down to being single. If I had a boyfriend at the moment I'd probably be home a lot more and doing less "damaging things".
oh my! now that's a lame cop-out.  ;D 'I don't have a BF so I drank myself into a stupor and felt like crap the next day.' ROFL Try finding a nice hobby instead to fill up some time. Who knows drinking less and being more sober, you might just find a boyfriend too.  ;)

always remember when your life isn't like you want it, you have to do something else than what you've been doing to shake it up and make it change.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Rockin

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 02:17:05 pm »
oh my! now that's a lame cop-out.  ;D 'I don't have a BF so I drank myself into a stupor and felt like crap the next day.' ROFL Try finding a nice hobby instead to fill up some time. Who knows drinking less and being more sober, you might just find a boyfriend too.  ;)

always remember when your life isn't like you want it, you have to do something else than what you've been doing to shake it up and make it change.  ;)

Leatherman I really respect the fact that you've lived through so much and are very experienced about this stuff. But you make it sound like it's the easiest thing in the world.

"Oh sure...I'll quit drinking completely and start gardening". That's not me man.

I'm struggling right now...not with HIV but with other issues. I try to stay off drinks and drugs as much as possible but sometimes some things in my life become unbearable. And so I drink. And yes, having a boyfriend makes it easier. I wouldn't stay out until 7am of the next day if I had someone to cuddle to in bed. I'd probably do more normal stuff like a calm dinner or staying home and watch movies.

I'm not saying I'm right and I'm not saying I don't want to change. I do. But I'm also realistic and I don't think I'll be able to quit it completely for the moment. We have to know our limitations.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 02:44:46 pm »
You could always switch to pot. A nice water pipe will spare your lungs, and your liver will thank you.

:)
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 03:22:04 pm »
Alcohol damages the liver, HIV meds less so/not so much at all (depends on meds and person).

Some HIV meds make your liver work overtime, so moral: be prepared for the aftershock if you have a drink. Norvir and all NNRTIs (efavirenz, nevirapine etc) being the main culprits.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Rockin

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 05:16:01 pm »
Well I am on Norvir.

I will try to cut back. The thing is I see a lot of testimonials here from people who are not only on HAART but also a bunch of other stuff. 1 pill for depression, 1 pill for anxiety, 1 pill to sleep, etc.

I don't take anything other than my HAART meds. Maybe I should. One of the reasons I sometimes drink by myself is because of anxiety. And I don't smoke so...I guess is my drug to cope with some issues (again, not HIV).

Offline newt

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 05:28:53 pm »
Yer, me too, but it comes and goes, and the long term solution is not another pill but some progress over time towards a change/different way of managing things. Which takes time, so don't beat yourself up (and watch the nights out for time being).

- matt

Offline bocker3

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 05:59:46 pm »
Hey Rockin,

The main reason I responded to you was that your OP sounded like the meds were the problem, not the drinking.  While, you may need to consider changing meds at some point, if you only have the noxious symptoms after drinking, then therein lies the problem.

Let it never be said that I think this is easy.  As a recovering alcoholic, I know how hard it is.  I'm not saying that you are an alcoholic, BTW.  However, if you are drinking a couple times a week to forget your problems, well, that seems problematic from where I am sitting -- I don't know you, it is true, but in my 22 yrs of sobriety, I have seen what drinking away problems can do to people.

I am not here to judge -- just help.

Mike

Offline mecch

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 07:03:28 pm »
A therapist can help you find althernative ways to deal with anxiety snd depression in both the short run, in emergency crisis moments, and for the long run.
Drinking is a an effective way to burn off steam and unwind in the right context aand when things are going well in your life.  There might be other chemicals that could be more productive and less messy in your life and body chemistry than drinking to cope.
Lorazepam comes to mind.  And perhaps a spell on an SSRI.   These chems alone can work wonders to unstick a person and or his ruminating thought processes. Or not.  Best to have them in context of therapy as well, but if you cant have both, at least have one or the other - therapy - or psychoactive medicine to help you through a hight stress passage

If paranoia is involved, pot may not be wise. But if you generally relax with a joint, then that might also be a way to both chill AND jump start into new and creative ideas and plans for the future.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:05:30 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Rockin

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 07:31:46 pm »
Hey Rockin,

The main reason I responded to you was that your OP sounded like the meds were the problem, not the drinking.  While, you may need to consider changing meds at some point, if you only have the noxious symptoms after drinking, then therein lies the problem.

Let it never be said that I think this is easy.  As a recovering alcoholic, I know how hard it is.  I'm not saying that you are an alcoholic, BTW.  However, if you are drinking a couple times a week to forget your problems, well, that seems problematic from where I am sitting -- I don't know you, it is true, but in my 22 yrs of sobriety, I have seen what drinking away problems can do to people.

I am not here to judge -- just help.

Mike

I do actually think I have a tendency towards alcoholism...but I don't think I'm quite there yet.

I'm just going through a bad period I guess. I'm trying to remain optimistic though.

Offline Rockin

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 07:32:59 pm »
A therapist can help you find althernative ways to deal with anxiety snd depression in both the short run, in emergency crisis moments, and for the long run.
Drinking is a an effective way to burn off steam and unwind in the right context aand when things are going well in your life.  There might be other chemicals that could be more productive and less messy in your life and body chemistry than drinking to cope.
Lorazepam comes to mind.  And perhaps a spell on an SSRI.   These chems alone can work wonders to unstick a person and or his ruminating thought processes. Or not.  Best to have them in context of therapy as well, but if you cant have both, at least have one or the other - therapy - or psychoactive medicine to help you through a hight stress passage

If paranoia is involved, pot may not be wise. But if you generally relax with a joint, then that might also be a way to both chill AND jump start into new and creative ideas and plans for the future.

I do get a little paranoid, yes. But I might give it a try. I used to be a pothead but it got old.

I might consult my HIV doctor, although I don't know if he'll be able to prescribe an anxiety med, since he's a public doctor.

Offline Billy B

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 12:04:04 am »
I do get a little paranoid, yes. But I might give it a try. I used to be a pothead but it got old.

I might consult my HIV doctor, although I don't know if he'll be able to prescribe an anxiety med, since he's a public doctor.

Rockin,
I recently found out from my ID that weed is hard on your liver especially if you are a daily smoker.
Peace,
Billy
VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 29.8 09/10/13
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 31.0 04/29/14
VL  UD   CD4 520 CD4% 34.8 11/05/15
VL  UD   CD4 440 CD4% 33.5 03/10/15
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 30.5 08/23/16
VL  UD   CD4 510 CD4% 34.0 07/21/20  (Biktarvy)

Offline bocker3

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 07:51:25 am »
I do actually think I have a tendency towards alcoholism...but I don't think I'm quite there yet.

I'm just going through a bad period I guess. I'm trying to remain optimistic though.

If you feel you have a "tendency toward alcoholism" but don't think you are "there" yet -- there is really only one thing to do.  It's the same whether you are "there" or not -- it's to not drink.  I know that sounds radical, but it is, what it is. 

Alcoholism isn't a state of mind -- it is a disease -- one that, if untreated, will kill you as surely as untreated HIV infection will kill you.

Mike

Offline mecch

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 08:29:14 am »
Rockin,
I recently found out from my ID that weed is hard on your liver especially if you are a daily smoker.
Peace,
Billy
Wow good to know, thanks. I never heard that before I'm going to ask about it, as well.

Offline Rockin

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 10:10:05 am »
If you feel you have a "tendency toward alcoholism" but don't think you are "there" yet -- there is really only one thing to do.  It's the same whether you are "there" or not -- it's to not drink.  I know that sounds radical, but it is, what it is. 

Alcoholism isn't a state of mind -- it is a disease -- one that, if untreated, will kill you as surely as untreated HIV infection will kill you.

Mike

I will try to avoid it but I don't plan on quitting it anytime soon. I'm just going through a bad period, I don't usually drink as much (I still don't know if a bottle of vodka a week it "that' much")

Offline Billy B

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 10:14:10 am »
Wow good to know, thanks. I never heard that before I'm going to ask about it, as well.

Hello Mecch,
I did a search and yes it appears to be true. Smoking it increases fibrosis especially if you are co-infected with C.
Peace,
Billy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:16:58 am by Billy B »

Offline buginme2

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 10:33:14 am »
It makes no sense to be concerned about possibly damaging your liver by taking HIV meds or smoking pot for that matter when your drinking a bottle of vodka every week.

Offline elf

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 03:58:00 pm »
Niacin can damage your liver. I quit taking it since my liver enzymes are up in the Sky.  :-[ Some other ''supplements'' can do this too.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:59:31 pm by elf »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 06:03:12 pm »
Rockin,
Peace,
Billy

Was your doctor basing his opinion on this study?

http://www.scientistlive.com/European-Science-News/Medical/Marijuana_linked_to_liver_damage/19645/
infected
If he was, it's important to note that the study involved people who drank AND smoked pot daily. And were infected with HCV/co-infected with HCV/HIV.

In addition, it's the only study of which I am aware and only had 328 subjects. Until repeated studies confirm the assertions, I would be pretty skeptical, especially considering the considerable caveats and so-infection issues.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 06:05:23 pm »
It makes no sense to be concerned about possibly damaging your liver by taking HIV meds or smoking pot for that matter when your drinking a bottle of vodka every week.

Truth.

I am on Prezista, Norvir, Truvada and Isentress. When I drink to much, my liver enzymes are elevated. When I don't, they are normal - even considering the drugs. And I smoke absolutely all the pot I can get my hands on, though not daily. Can't get my hand on that much :)

Welcome Thread

Offline Billy B

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 07:34:01 pm »

Was your doctor basing his opinion on this study?

http://www.scientistlive.com/European-Science-News/Medical/Marijuana_linked_to_liver_damage/19645/
infected
If he was, it's important to note that the study involved people who drank AND smoked pot daily. And were infected with HCV/co-infected with HCV/HIV.

In addition, it's the only study of which I am aware and only had 328 subjects. Until repeated studies confirm the assertions, I would be pretty skeptical, especially considering the considerable caveats and so-infection issues.

jkinatl2,
I don't really know where he heard the information that he passed on to me but I would say that it was at one of the many conferences that he attends yearly. He is the department head of the ID clinic at WFUBMC in NC.
Peace,
Billy

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 08:21:46 pm »

jkinatl2,
I don't really know where he heard the information that he passed on to me but I would say that it was at one of the many conferences that he attends yearly. He is the department head of the ID clinic at WFUBMC in NC.
Peace,
Billy

I think its wonderful that you see such an accredited physician. I asked because I had never heard of deleterious effects of marijuana on the liver, and I was curious to the science behind that assertion.

Welcome Thread

Offline newt

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011, 09:16:57 pm »
Smoked cannabis affects the liver, cos smoking affects the liver. Otherwise it affect your kidneys and gut (therefore makes you piss and crap more).  I drink and smoke etc and I know it's bad for me liver et al, but me liver enzymes/lung function/heart tests are always normal.

Liver enzymes are not the be all and end all of liver health. And over-egging the long-term downside of a spiff/voddie of a month or two is not really justified.

- matt

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2011, 09:18:07 pm »
Smoked cannabis affects the liver, cos smoking affects the liver. Otherwise it affect your kidneys and gut (therefore makes you piss and crap more).  I drink and smoke etc and I know it's bad for me liver et al, but me liver enzymes/lung function/heart tests are always normal.

Liver enzymes are not the be all and end all of liver health. And over-egging the long-term downside of a spiff/voddie of a month or two is not really justified.

- matt

Hmm... would a vaporizer and/or eating it baked in brownies negate the impact on the liver?

Welcome Thread

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2011, 11:08:27 pm »
Hi Rockin, just wanted to say first off I an relate to what you said about being on the skinny side...Ive always been slim with a smaller frame, and I used to be really stick skinny. I went throug some rough times dealing with substance abuse but in the last couple years I made some changed and I gained weight and muscle. I'm always going to be small framed, and I'm fine with it. As far as liver, I would say that moderation is the key. Everyone is different, but in general, binge drinking isn't healthy. It could potentially mess with your meds and liver. That being said, I like my bourbon and I have drinks but I don't get shitfaced drunk like I used to. Just tipsy, or buzzed, or just one to take the edge off after a long day. You just have to learn what your tolerance is and if you can keep it in check. Just use some common sense, and good luck

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.