Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:12:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 200
Total: 201

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: republican party beliefs  (Read 6141 times)

Offline mitch777

republican party beliefs
« on: September 07, 2012, 09:07:18 pm »
ok...
i could have continued this in the previous thread of "convention chat" but thought it needed a seperate subject title.
not feeling too well tonight but needed to vent a bit as the political rheteric has ramped up a notch.

while both political parties have their short-commings, it is becomming more and more difficult for me to understand how anyone can defend the republican party.

the hypocricy astounds me and the fact that close to 50% of the country either agrees with or is duped by what garbage spews from their lips blows my mind.

FOR: NRA (in lockstep)

AGAINST: abortion under ANY circumstances.

CONCLUSION: i guess they are the party that feels like they can dictate which life is precious and which is expendable.

GAY EQUALIY:

enough said.

WAR:

Hmmm...
"let's pump up "nationalism" to make sure we "convince" the masses in this country and the world to "know the USA means business".

Hmmm...
perhaps...
just perhaps...
it might just be the time to adjust our political thinking, and behave as a nation amongst other nations.
i know, i know.
a pipe dream but still something to strive for.

HEALTHCARE:

the gist is this...
republicans only want quality healthcare to those who can afford it.

said another way...
healthcare is a "privlage" in this country and not a "right".

hmmm...
i thought they seemed be believe that they are the "holier than thow" party.
guess they forgot about a few of the ten commandments.

getting groggy,

signing off for now...

to be continued???

{this public service message was brought to you by:
TOCQue.
...that would mean Tired Old Cranky Queen ue. (I just added the ue to make it sound more French.)
i know, i know.
shut-up already.}

sleep tight.

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline tednlou2

Re: republican party beliefs
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 12:08:35 am »
My family and friends discuss this all the time.  We just can't understand why other friends and family vote Republican.  The Repub message is just about more tax cuts for the very wealthy and less regulation.  None of these friends and family make enough money to benefit from the Bush tax cuts.  Most of them are not pro-life.  Most don't own guns.  We just have a hard time understanding why they vote the way they do. 

For the ones who do own guns, Dems have abandoned gun restrictions.  No one is having their guns taken away, and there is NO threat to do so.  The ones who claim to be Jebus' best friends hate the fact that people would get help during the worst economic situation since the Great Depression.  For some reason, they hate the fact that someone would get healthcare.  They say they are sick about abortion, but abortions went down under Clinton.  I'm sure a good economy had something to do with that, as well as not having all the abstinence only ed back then.  And, they could care less about the baby, once it is born.  They don't want the mother getting any kind of assistance--food stamps to healthcare.  They want women to have the babies, but you're on your own after that.

I will never understand that way of thinking. 

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 08:52:51 am »
I'm like you mitch, it erks and scares me that Mitt may possibly get into office.  It will be a diaster, especially to the gay community and women.

i'm just hoping Obama can pull it off.  I donate as much as i can to the campaign although its not 1000.00 bucks, but a little here and there.  He needs 4 more years to do what he was put into office to do.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 10:43:18 am »
hope you all survived my little hissy-fit last night.
just goes to show you... don't mix wine and whine.
still sticking with the content and i barely scratched the surface.
i also cannot afford much but have contibuted several small donations to obama.
the republican party has gone off the deep end like never before.
(they always were pretty scarey, but wow!)
guess "we the people" only pertains to (you fill in the blank).
i wonder if they are even capable of seeing how openly hypocritical they are in their beliefs and policies.
on a positive note...
their extreme views may lead to a revolt at the polls.
wishful thinking maybe but we gotta cling to something.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 03:58:55 pm »
Several thoughts:

More and more national political races are "values" based, not policy specific. Yes, policy is involved and gets the press, but on a wider scale I would say looking at the following map (based on today's snapshot of the current electoral map, scaled to population concentration as opposed to true state borders) shows what we've been seeing for several cycles -- the most important factor is regional factionalism.

By this I mean, especially east of the Great Plain states you can draw a line from Minnesota across to Virginia marking the cut off. Wisconsin is an anomaly right now because of the VP selection, but other than that it explains the toss up of Ohio and Virginia. NC I still lump in with the other red states. FL is always an exception, but it has it's own north/south break off county wise which fluctuates.

The other part of the country is Great Plains vs. West Coast, with the exceptions of CO and NM easily explained by increased immigration.

Basically it boils down to voting like your neighbors, a sort of tribalism, with shifts in patterns only available at the periphery of concentrated areas. Yankee v. Confederate in the east, farmer yeoman v. coastal city dweller in the west.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 04:24:21 pm »
well said miss p.

while i don't expect texas to turn blue in the near future, i will fall asleep tonite feeling a bit better knowing that it has at least shriveled in size on your map.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 05:33:52 pm »
I was talking politics with a couple of my coworkers (actually they were talking and I was observing) one a staunch Democrat and one a "anybody but Obama" Republican. Knowing that my Democrat coworker is a lost cause he emailed the following in an effort to get another Romney vote:

You can delete anytime but here are some facts based on my limited research:

23 million people unemployed
8.3% unemployment on average (he said at this point it would be 6%)
47 million on Food Stamps
6 Trillion in new Obama national debt - 16 Trillion (he called Bush irresponsible and unpatriotic for accumluating 5 trillion in 8 years.  He has accumulated 6 in 4 yrs)
President Obama has run over a trillion dollar deficit each on his budget (he said he would cut the deficit in half within his first term)
The Senate has not passed a budget in 3 years
Obama proposed budget received zero democrate votes the last 2 years in the democrat controlled Senate
At least Paul Ryan proposed and passed a budget in the House but was never brought up for a vote in the Senate
Gas prices are $3.70 on average (Nancy Pelosi called Bush out in 2008 when gas hit $3.00)
We are dependent on foreign oil and making no effort to drill here.  There are a couple of states who are drilling on private land in North Dakota, etc and get around EPA regs. 
Solar and renewable energy pursuit has resulted in electric cars costing too much and no one buying them and Solendra and others going bankrupt
Health Care was rammed through on the Reconcilation Act which allows the Senate to only need 51 votes and they did so right before Scott Brown from Mass took Ted Kennedy's seat in fear that they wouldn't have enough votes to filibuster proof the vote
As you heard Tom say, the media presents that Republicans shot down the single payer portion of the bill but it was never proposed to begin with by the democrats.  Zero Republicans voted for the Health Care bill.
With the majority in both houses 2008-2010 it makes you wonder why the Democrats blame the Republicans for blocking everything and eliminating their ability to grow the economy.  In those 2 years, they passed anything they wanted, which begs the question of "Why didn't it work?"
They got Health Care.  They got the Stimulus.  They could of pulled out of Iraq.  They could have eliminated the Bush Tax Cuts.  They could of passed a budget.  They could have done whatever they wanted to improve life for the middle class and all Americans.  Why didn't it work?
25 billion of the bail out money went to companies overseas. This is far more outsourcing then Romney is accused of at Bain.

Ending the Bush Tax cuts for the weathly may increase revenue and cut deficit by 300 billion or so next year; but our issue in the US is not a tax problem, but a spending problem.  We still have to cut and trim and reduce...even the military. 

If you conduct a performance eval on Obama one can only conclude he has not kept his promises and has not done the job.  Only those that subscribe to his ideology can think otherwise.

Consider Romney:

Successful businessman
80% success at Bain at turning around companies they invested in
Successful family man
Took over the 2002 Olympics and turned it around by all accounts
Won election in a Democrat State - Mass and showed he could work with an overwhelmingly Democratic House and got things done up there - Health reform, balanced budget every year and created a surplus - shown he can lead as Governor
Question?
Why not take a person who has developed his own business
Why not take a person who has grown a business
Why not take a person who has consulted with other businesses on how to grow and expand versus becoming bankrupt
Why not take a person who has been successful in family and community life
Why not take a person who has International experience by making the Olympics a success
Why not take a person who has been elected Governor and worked across the aisles with a majority opposite party and accomplished respected objectives

The contrast between the two options could not be clearer. 

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 07:28:06 pm »
For those Republicans who need an actual scorecard showing Democrats successes versus Republican over time --- not just based on one President...

September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 02:14:29 pm »
Lyin' Ryan!!!!

Get a load of this hogwash:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/10/norah-odonnell-paul-ryan-defense-spending_n_1870369.html

CBS News' Norah O'Donnell put Paul Ryan's feet to the fire for criticizing President Obama for defense spending cuts after he supported them himself.
O'Donnell did not give Ryan on an easy pass on the issue. "He's talking about you because you voted for those cuts, correct?" she asked him.

Ryan said that he voted for the cuts because he was trying to find "common ground" with the Democrats to reduce the budget deficit. He added that he wrote a bill that would have reduced spending elsewhere and prevented "the president’s irresponsible, devastating defense cuts."

O'Donnell continued to press Ryan, saying that the defense cuts were part of the Budget Control Act and that he supported the act. She went a step further and quoted him calling the legislation a "victory" and a "positive step forward."

"So, you voted for defense cuts, and now you’re criticizing the president for those same defense cuts that you voted for and called a victory,"
O'Donnell said.

"The goal was never that these defense cuts actually occur," Ryan responded. He said that he supported a sequestration measure, which would have triggered automatic cuts if the supercommittee did not reach a deal. O'Donnell said that the act also contained $1 trillion in immediate cuts, including the defense cuts.

"And you also voted for those, and now you're saying you didn't vote for them?" she asked. He said that the Obama administration proposed $478 billion in defense cuts, in addition to cutting about $500 billion in defense from the sequestration.

"Right. A trillion dollars in defense spending, and you voted for it!" O'Donnell shot back.

"No, Norah. I voted for the Budget Control Act."

"That included defense spending!"
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mitch777

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 06:53:28 pm »
dems are getting smarter and repubs are getting more idiotic.
the romney team are sinking their own ship.
standing side by side by pat robertson.

not getting over-confident but it's simply a self-inflicted wound by a party out of control.

can't wait to see the next chapter.

the tea party might have been the the best thing to happen to rally the democrats.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 10:19:17 pm »
I dunno if the Republican party needs to be as muddied, hypocritical, misanthropic not to mention sexist, racist and classist, as it seems to be in this campaign.  That slate of candidates was horrific and Romney won and he's been empty on the inside for decades.  That Church is positively creepy and he's robotic to boot.

I didn't like Bush as a President but he didn't seem to be a complete phoney.  He was intellectually average and maybe shouldn't have been President.  Don't the Republicans have any brains who aren't tarnished by the Bush/Cheney years AND want to be POTUS?  Its too bad for Rice and Powell, but they chose to lie about WAR, LIVES, so good riddance.  This Ryan had buzz for being a brain but he seems more like a lying weasel. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 10:23:36 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 01:02:25 pm »
I don't know how anyone make up their mind at this point to vote for Romney.  He hasn't even talked about what his policies might be.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.