Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:37:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 591
Total: 591

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Update on... Me I guess..  (Read 8301 times)

Offline skeebo1969

Update on... Me I guess..
« on: November 28, 2006, 02:39:52 pm »

Tomorrow I am going to the local health clinic to see a doctor.  I still have not applied for disability as ordered by the judge.  I hope to get started on that next week if I feel better.   I need to get to the department of childrens services to to have my child support modified.  Have not been able to do that because I lacked the $40 to buy the packet you need to ask for modification.  I also have a form to reinstate my drivers license but lack the $50 for that also.  I should be able to do both next week though if things go as planned.

I have been on meds now for about two weeks and have not had any problems with them.   I feel like shit though.   I am so tired and sleep allot.   Today the bottom of my foot is hurting like hell.  It feels like I am walking on the bone or something.   I am noticing something about my mental state also.  I notice I am having difficulty finding enjoyment in things.  I have suffered from depression and it's not like that.  It's more like an indifference to things...

I am worried I won't be able to get more meds in two weeks.  They are going to put me on ADAP and I just don't have any money right now...  I called my doctor this morning for the lab results from the day I started the meds and my cd4 was at 135.  I can't believe it 6 months ago I was at 611.  Three weeks before my last blood draw my number were cd4 180 and vl 70,000.   A month before that my cd4 was 211. 

I am overwhelmed to say the least...  Hopefully I will have more answers tomorrow.

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline gvolts5

Re: Update on... Me I guess..
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 04:06:30 pm »
Hey Thomas -

Glad you posted today.  Yesterday I read your past posts and was hoping everything was going ok.  It's probably a good idea right now to take it easy, chill-out, put your feet up on the coffee table and relax.  Be comfortable.  If you're going to try and feel better, e.g., try to get into a better mood, try to accomplish this or that, go for it - but don't push or you might ruin your balance. 

John

« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 06:26:30 pm by gvolts5 »

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 04:16:47 pm »
Hi Thomas -  I am sorry to hear your life is in flux.  I do know you have the power to change things for the better (because I've seen it before).  If I remember correctly, you're on Sustiva, right?  From what others seem to experience, are you sure that Viramune wouldn't be a better option w/ less sleep and depression issues?  I suppose just getting meds in the next couple of weeks is a bigger battle,  but it's food for thought.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 04:25:24 pm »

I put my feet on the coffee table and felt guilty..lmao!   I need to get off my ass!   I am writing down some questions for the doctor tomorrow.   I do agree with you spud, the sustiva in the Atripla is probably the culprit of my feeling different. 

Thomas

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 06:30:30 pm »
Hey Thomas.  I don't think that there is much more stressful than knowing what you need to/should do AND being unable to do them, whether from a lack of funds or a lack of energy.  It seems like an increasing grand conspiracy of everyone and everything (including your t cells and viral load) against you.  Now if you can somehow look at the likelihood of funds next week as posted,  look, as suggested, at the drugs for their side effects on you (tired, sleep alot,) you might, if not see enjoyment in things, start to regain an interest or at least sense of some control over and in things.  But even as I say this, I have worked with aids patients (not your case) and in hearing what they are going through or living with, felt, myself, completely overwhelmed FOR them.  So I send much hope in tomorrow and next week for you.  Best, Win

Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Longislander

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 06:43:40 pm »
Hey Thomas,

Make that list a good one. Seems like you've got down what you need to do, take it one step at a time.

I CANNOT believe you have to pay $40 for a packet of paper to file for a modification in child support! It's even free in NY! Not sure if you applied for a legal aid atty in court, but if you didn't, you should. Perhaps there's a waiver of those fees. (there really should be).

good luck tomorrow.

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 06:58:30 pm »
Thomas,

See what you can do to apply for Disability.  I don't know for sure if it applies to children who live with you, but your kids may be entitled to a check also.  Find out for sure, as this will help alleviate that problem.  My daughter got a check because her late father was on disability.  But he was also my husband ;)  After he passed, her checks increased, and will continue to get the payments until she's 18.

Good luck with things.  I hope it starts to turn around for you soon.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Esquare

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 07:34:43 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that you are down. Seeing those numbers fly around would piss anyone off. You just have to put it into context and remember that you have to get that viral load down. That's what I do.

It's football season though so everything is not all bad.  ;D

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 07:47:26 pm »

Esquare it's funny you mention football because that is what I was referring to..lol!   I was not excited at all on Sunday!! 

I keep telling myself baby steps, one thing at a time, and things will work out.  Hopefully I will get some info from the case worker I see tomorrow also.

Long,

I can't believe the $40 fee either.  I also don't understand why I have to pay to have my drivers license reinstated if it had nothing to do with driving.

Thomas

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 08:00:56 pm »
Tom I wish the load was lighter for you right now.   One thing is do one thing, do it well and move onto the next thing.  Think about your life first since everything hinges on you taking care of yourself.  Once that is on solid ground, deal with the next thing..  Pat yourself on the back for each thing you accomplish and don't forget you are moving forward...  I know a bit of how you feel, " what you do not know frightens you, me, everyone..."  It still frightens me about other things.  But I have moved through the meds issues and side effects, moved through how I was going to get these and so on and so forth.  Your doing it...   Don't be a doormat,  push for what you want, the concerns that you have and get the help you need.   We cannot do this by ourselves and we need help...  We also have to ask for it....

Lots of love to you Tom and I pray that things will start revealing themselves to you....   In time it will..

Love,
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 08:03:11 pm by Eric »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 04:51:18 pm »

I went to the clinic today.  They did do a blood draw and made an appointment for next week.   When I went in to talk to a case manager the nurse placed a call to my doctor.   She came into the case managers office after getting off the phone with my doctor in Miami and said forget the appointment for next week that I need to come in tomorrow at 9 am.   

When I did the blood draw two weeks ago they did some different tests that I never saw before..  Maybe someone here can help me with this..  They collected blood in regular normal viles, but also took four bottles shaped like those 5 gallon water jugs you see on water coolers.. LOL they were not that big of course just shaped that way.   They were big and after I filled two with blood they had me wait for 30 minutes before doing the other two.  I should have asked but didn't.  Anyone know what kind of test that could have been?  Just a little concerned that she changed my appointment so abrumptly after getting off the phone with my doctor.   I guess if it was something really bad they would have said go to the hospital or something...

I don't think it was a genotype test because I've had that done already and have not shown any special mutations or resistance issues..

They were a very good staff  and that made me feel really confortable.

Thomas

Offline Teresa

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 07:19:38 pm »
Thomas,

Glad you liked the staff at the clinic. Will be sending you good thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted on what you find out tomorrow.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 08:02:28 pm »
Hang in there thomas it gets better as time goes by. ;)

Offline Eldon

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 08:56:57 pm »
Hey Tom,

I am happy to hear that your experience went well today at the clinic. Just take it one day at a time to get through all of this.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 09:48:56 pm »
Hey Thomas,

Never heard of or saw blood vials shaped like that. Are you sure they aren't feeding a vampire locked away in a broom closet somewhere? Sheesh.

Anyway, I'll be looking out for your next update. Good luck tomorrow. Good luck with the rest of it all too. Hang in there.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline IzPoz

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 11:15:11 pm »
Tom,

Do you think they were doing a blood culture on you?  I know my husband used to get them a lot, and they used larger 'bottles' for the culture.

Where are you in Miami, btw...
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 11:23:39 pm »
Thomas,

Have they done what they call a "chem14" draw on you so far?  If not, that is a possibility for the bottles of blood they drew.  That basically is an overall look at your blood...the fats, the sugars- the whole ball of wax.  They would get this now early on as a marker to see what impact, if any, the meds would be having on your blood levels of these things.

IzPoz and I are likely refering to the same thing.  If so, it's a good thing.  I'm a total needle puss...I want them to get all the info they want on as few sticks as possible!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 11:42:15 pm »

Hunter and Izpoz,

That is probably what it was since it was to be my first day starting meds.
Izpoz I no longer live in Miami, but lived in Carol City.   Do you live in Miami?
I'm one strange cat thunter, I love getting shots and having my viens prodded with needles.    There is one shot I fear though....  The dreaded bio penicillin shot... WOOOOWEEEE those are painful and they gave me two. 

Thomas

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 11:47:59 pm »
Ask them Tom... Just ask em what they are testing for...  I had those weird assed water bottles done on me at first labs.   They were running geno/pheno, liver function and getting a full picture of myself.   I saw the size of my chart just after that one set of labs that day, it was a fucking inch thick...  Its all good Tom..  They need to know...

Offline Robert

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 11:56:20 pm »
Thomas.

I've no idea what those vile vials would be.  I'm just glad your doing it.  Step by step.  It's not easy but  you've done it before and you'll do it again.  You're a good man,  Thomas.

robert

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 12:00:57 am »
you are one strange cat, skeebo!  and a lucky one, i guess....you'll have plenty of needle sticks in your future.

(((shudder)))

They gave you two bio penicillin shots?  In the rump, I imagine?  Those hurt...make you stiff (not in a good way) for days.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 12:05:28 am »

Thunter it felt like I got an ass whipping for days!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 12:07:22 am »
I feel your pain...er, I felt your pain.  I had that same torture series- a total of 3 in each side.  Yeeeouch!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline IzPoz

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 08:18:24 am »

Hunter and Izpoz,

That is probably what it was since it was to be my first day starting meds.
Izpoz I no longer live in Miami, but lived in Carol City.   Do you live in Miami?
I'm one strange cat thunter, I love getting shots and having my viens prodded with needles.    There is one shot I fear though....  The dreaded bio penicillin shot... WOOOOWEEEE those are painful and they gave me two. 

Thomas

Tom,

I live in FTL (Plantation), but my doctor is at Mercy in Miami.  Well worth the drive :)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 08:34:09 am »

Mercy was where I would get my meds.   My ex works in Plantation.  OMG!!  Is this what they mean by 9 degrees of separation.   Was your mother's name Louise by any chance?

On a serious note I have heard nothing but good things about the doctor at Mercy.   Even my doctor who I consider a Goddess said so.   

Thomas

Offline IzPoz

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 07:18:12 pm »

Mercy was where I would get my meds.   My ex works in Plantation.  OMG!!  Is this what they mean by 9 degrees of separation.   Was your mother's name Louise by any chance?

On a serious note I have heard nothing but good things about the doctor at Mercy.   Even my doctor who I consider a Goddess said so.   

Thomas

My original doc at Mercy retired earlier this year.  I was with him for well over 10 years.  He saw me through my husband's death, and retired shortly after.  We still keep in touch.  He did, however, leave me in good hands with a partner of his who is also a wonderful doc.  I am sure in time I will grow to love him like my original doc.

And nope... mom's name isn't Louise!! LOL But she does live in Miramar, LMAO.

I'm hoping today is a good day for you, Tom!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2006, 12:35:56 am »

I was given some great gifts at the clinic today!!

Three vials (thx Robert) for sputum samples and three little canisters to drop them in the mail.   A case (as in 24) ensure, vanilla flavored chalk which is my favorite of the three flavors.  The others flavors were cough medicine  strawberry and this is what we call chocolate.    My night sweats were really really bad last night I had to take Gabby out of my bed because of them.  I not only soaked the sheets and pillow but the comforter on me too.  I've tried sleeping with just a throw blanket, but I end up freezing and still manage to soak the blanket.   This morning was rough, but I am a trooper!    I am such a punk when it comes to nausea....  I once begged a nurse to take it out of me one time.. don't ask because I even thought it was strange at the time.   Got some multi vitamins also, which I really needed badly.   

After the doctors appointment I took Gabby back to her mommy.  Tina and I had lunch and she advised that I crash in Gabby's bed for a while because I looked tired,  I did and I soaked it..lol!  Oh well, I told her I probably would.  Yes ladies I changed the sheets, even though Tina objected.  We lost her sister Elaine to AIDS last August and I think it was Tina's attempt to tell me she understood.   I felt a little bad about it anyways..  Oh well, got some ganja while in Miami.   That has me somewhere else now..  Got Bob playing in the background.  Should help if I have any nausea in the morning.

I did allot of thinking while driving today.   They were  positive thoughts... or as Bob would say positive vibrations!

Thomas

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2006, 12:51:07 am »
Gosh, it's been awhile since I have had to deal with the old night sweat routine.  Only one minor one since I started meds nearly two years ago.  I got so dang tired of having to change sheets over and over.  And they came on so fast sometimes...I'd go to bed and sometimes wake up freezing wet only like 30-45 minutes later.  I'm hating it for you that you're going through all that stuff, T.  Glad you are able to keep the positive thoughts.  Onward and upward, my friend!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2006, 01:06:51 am »
Thomas,
it looks like you are handling a difficult situation really well. Keep on moving forward little by little...things will work out. You have the strength inside of you to do it! Keep it going man, I'm pulling for you man.
Positive since 1985

Offline gvolts5

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2006, 02:00:25 am »
I had to look up Ganja, can you believe that?  Maybe it'd be helpful to bring to mind some of the nicest moments of your life.  Maybe think about specific people that you are especially fond of.  That'll get some nice neurotransmitters flowing in your brain.  Or if you're already past that, it might be a good time to read about or study something that totally interests you.

Will check back to see how things are going.

John

Offline Robert

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2006, 02:12:33 am »
I've got a case of Ensure in my garage.  It's 3 years old but I don't think there is a expiration date on that shit.  It's bionic.  If  you need more let me know.  I'll be glad to ship it out to you and don't worry about the postage.  It'll be worth it just to get it out of here.

Ganja's good.  Marley's good.  Life is good. (alright so maybe is sucks but sometimes it's good)

robert

Offline Nadine

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2006, 06:18:06 am »
Thomas,

Hang in there, things can and will only get better now.

Sounds like they are going to look after you just fine at the new Docs.

Hugs,
Nadine

Don't worry about a thing,
'cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Bob Marley

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.