Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:56:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 191
Total: 191

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: follow-up to surgery  (Read 3798 times)

Offline wolfter

follow-up to surgery
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:43:51 am »
I knew the procedure and recovery was going to be horrible, but I never dreamt I'd have issues with the anesthesia.  I'm pretty sure that's what occurred.  I wasn't even home yet when I started getting over heated and dizzy.  By the time I got home, my temp skyrocketed and I was spewing from both ends.  My mom was insisting that we go back to the hospital but I was so sick I didn't even want to deal with that.  I have my own room air conditioner (we always fight over the house thermostat), and I had it on the coldest setting all night.  I had worse night sweats than I ever had with any of my many illnesses.  I've yet to eat anything, it makes me nauseous to think about that.  I finally managed to keep one of the oxycodene pills down and managed a few hours sleep.  I'm feeling a lot better now and can finally focus on the pain of the actual surgery.

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
Re: follow-up to surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 09:55:12 am »
Wolfie-

Sounds like your reaction to the anesthesia was pretty extreme. Glad that you are doing better now. I hope the recovery is speedy for you. Surgery sucks, what type of operation did you have?

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:56:43 am »
Oy. The afteraffects of anesthesia are often underestimated or ignored. All we are is a bag of chemistry and anesthesia can play havoc with that. In my experience it takes a while and even months to recover from fully having been knocked out.

Hope you're on the mend now and the pain from surgery isn't too bad. If you continue to have problems I suggest you give your doctor a call.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:08:03 am »
I had a dysplastic mass removed inside the anus.  (along with the external little buggers).  I've had several surgeries and never experienced the side affects like I did with this one.  Maybe it was a blessing in disguise since the ass surgery seems mild compared to how I was feeling last night. 

Andy, thanks for the advice.  I'm sure I'll be ok now.  It's been almost 24 hours now and I really am feeling much better.  If not, I was planing on going back. 

I still don't know why so many people abuse Oxycodene.  There's no way I could use it as a party drug. 

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:58:32 am »
Sorry to hear you had such a bad time Wolf; but glad to hear you're doing better.  :) having that mass and warts removed - that's a good thing even if you did have some issues.

I wasn't even home yet when I started getting over heated and dizzy.
I got overheated, dizzy, then puked while I was still in recovery the other week. After that I felt great, got dressed and went home. They gave me a script for percs but I never even got it filled.

Now go soak your butt in the tub for a while - trust me, you'll enjoy it.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 12:50:49 am »
Wow, sorry to hear about the bad experience.  Hope you feel better soon.  I've put off suggested surgery by my colorectal doc for a very tiny bump that the doc still isn't sure is a wart.  I only want to be knocked out only if truly necessary.  Did they give ya any drug, like Versed, that is contraindicted with your meds?  Anyway, hope you feel better soon and don't need to blast the a/c.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 07:30:58 am »
Wow, sorry to hear about the bad experience.  Hope you feel better soon.  I've put off suggested surgery by my colorectal doc for a very tiny bump that the doc still isn't sure is a wart.  I only want to be knocked out only if truly necessary.  Did they give ya any drug, like Versed, that is contraindicted with your meds?  Anyway, hope you feel better soon and don't need to blast the a/c.

Damn, I never thought about an interactions with my meds:  Intelence, Isentress and Truvada.  It is kinda strange thinking back.  I met the anesthesiologist 15 minutes before surgery.  He was asking typical questions and one of them was if I had any chronic conditions.  Of course I answered none that weren't addressed with the surgeon.  As we continued talking and I mentioned HIV, he looked shocked and said; "oh, you're HIV positive?"  Does that mean he didn't even review a list of the medications I provided? 

Have you considered having that bump burnt off?  I've had that done in the past and it wasn't at all bad.

Offline edfu

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 07:38:52 am »
When I had anal surgery last year, I specifically told the anesthesiologist not to use Versed, which is most commonly used, because it's contraindicated by my Sustiva.

He actually said to me:  "Really?  I didn't know that."
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 10:25:37 pm »
When I had anal surgery last year, I specifically told the anesthesiologist not to use Versed, which is most commonly used, because it's contraindicated by my Sustiva.

He actually said to me:  "Really?  I didn't know that."

I tried to find that information on the drugs I'm on and any contradictions with anesthesia with no luck.  Are any of the meds I'm on have any?

Thanks for the info.
Greg

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 02:12:59 pm »
Greg, according to the hiv drug interactions website, possible interactions with your hiv meds and Versed are...

Etravirine (Intelence) carries a "Potential interaction – may require close monitoring, alteration of drug dosage or timing of administration".

There has not been enough data concerning Emtricitabine (FTC) and Tenofovir (the components of Truvada).

There are no known interactions with Raltegravir (Isentress).

If you want to check the interactions out for yourself, you need to know the generic names of the meds you're checking. I've used the generic names first in this post, with the brand names in (*)s.

The generic name of Versed is Midazolam. You can find the generic name of most meds simply by googling the brand name.

It looks like an interaction between your Intelence and the Versed may be the culprit.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 05:42:44 pm »
Thanks Ann, I love learning new things.
Greg

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.