Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:15:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773211
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 472
Total: 475

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: So Tired  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Brooke P.

• The Best men in the world, my Dad and my Son!
So Tired
« on: February 01, 2010, 08:13:58 pm »
Ok,  does anyone have any suggestions for my constant fatigue?  I seem to never get enough sleep.  I go to bed every night around 9:30 and I'm up at 5:30am.  I can't seem to put the blame on any one thing.  I've been on Atripla since October but I was having this problem before then.  I was blaming it on my weakened immune system but now that it seems to be a lot better I'm still tired all the time! Any suggestions as to what I can do to help my continual tiredness?
Feb. 2003 -tested positive
Started Kaletra and Combivir
2/26/03  CD4=1080   VL=218,333
3/3/03    CD4=1072   VL=546,010
4/10/03  CD4=1886   VL=1901
12/23/03 CD4=1711   VL=<50
STOPPED MEDS IN JUNE 2004
STARTED BACK WHEN I GOT PREGNANT
9/2009  CD4=274    VL=199,420
WENT 4 YEARS WITHOUT MEDS NOW I'M BACK ON MEDS, ATRIPLA
11/2009 CD4=574    VL=350
2/24/2010 CD4=851 VL=48

Offline sdguyloveslife

Re: So Tired
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:37:13 pm »
Could it be depression?  Or anemia?  (you would need to see your full blood labs to find anemia)
I've also heard of people taking vitamin B supplements (orally or injected) and they seem to improve energy levels. 
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:47:54 pm »
have your testosterone level checked too
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:36:57 pm »
leatherman, were you joking about the testosterone levels..lol?  Brooke is female.  Although, I think I remember from biology class that females do have some testosterone and men have some estrogen.  So, maybe you're right.

Brooke, besides all the lab stuff, maybe your internal clock is off.  Maybe 9:30 to 5:30 is not the right sleep pattern.  I know I've heard 10pm to 6am is best for most people, but I've also heard that some people sleep better at other hours.

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:49:10 pm »
no joking. :)

testosterone is a hormone that both sexes have, even though it's considered the "male" hormone. A deficiency of either hormone in either sex can cause issues. Just because we tell all the men on this board who are complaining of fatigue to have their testosterone level checked doesn't mean the same advice shouldn't be given out to females too.  ;)

Symptoms of low testosterone in women include loss of sexual desire, lack of sexual responsiveness and weaker orgasms. Other manifestations are lack of energy, decrease in strength and endurance, and diminishing ability to perform work. It can also cause the bones to weaken and heighten the risk for developing osteoporosis.
http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Truth-About-Low-Testosterone-In-Women&id=158936

healthy young women produce approximately 300 microg of testosterone per day, of which about half is derived from the ovaries and half from the adrenal glands. In women, as in men, testosterone is thought to influence pubertal development, sexual function, bone density, muscle mass, erythropoiesis, energy, cognitive function and mood. Testosterone deficiency in women may result from a variety of conditions, including oophorectomy, adrenalectomy, adrenal disease, pituitary disease, HIV infection, premature ovarian failure, Turner's syndrome, and the use of high-dose corticosteroids and some estrogen preparations. Simple aging and natural menopause may also contribute to testosterone deficiency in some women. A consensus view of the diagnosis of female androgen deficiency syndrome (FADS) is currently being developed, and is summarized in this article, as are current approaches for treating testosterone deficiency in women.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11991434
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 12:02:25 am »
What is the quality of your sleep like?  Do you wake up a lot?  Toss and turn?  Nightmares?  Just exploring what else could be influencing this...

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 12:09:47 am »
What is the quality of your sleep like?  Do you wake up a lot?  Toss and turn?  Nightmares?  Just exploring what else could be influencing this...

Indeed.  A decade ago I thought I had HIV fatigue, often to the point of falling asleep quickly on the short 20 minute subway commute home and missing my stop.  Ended up that I had sleep apnea, which nobody guessed  because I was so skinny.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 12:48:18 am »

Have you mentioned any of this to your doctor?  You may also want to have your thyroid checked along with what everyone else suggested.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline wow1969

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 02:44:30 pm »
i don't think there is just one cause for fatique ... i can tell you what has worked for me ...

first, i had to realize that i had lots and lots of energy before HIV and that when HIV came into my life, i went from lots and lots to just lots ... i still have energy, just not as much as i used to ...

second, once i realzied that i still had energy, then it became a job to figure out what i wanted to do with my energy ... where did i want to invest it ...

third, i started looking at the people and events in my life ... those people who sucked the energy out of me have been neutralized, or in some cases, totally removed ... the events in my life have also been scrutenized ... i use the following formula ... if it isn't something i really want to do, if it doesn't enrich my life, if it isn't helping, then, it needs to go ..

fourth, i now have more than enough energy to do what i need to do ... i will never have what i had before HIV but what i do have is sufficient ...

so, look for energy leakages ... i realized that i can't blame everything in my life on HIV ... it doesn't rule my life nor is it the total of my experience ... it is a part of my life and needs to be integrated ... think of it this way, if you are short, you are short ... not really gonna change so you have to compensate for it ... HIV is the same, you just gotta take into account what is going on ...

after i identified the leakages it took about a week before i felt rested and ready for life again ... it's now a month later and i'm pretty much good to go but i guard and protect myself ...

i think the real issue is that unlike being short which a person deals with their entire life, HIV hasn't been with us our entire lives so we have to adjust ... which is hard at times because we remember how we used to be ...

remember, it is just a virus, nothing more ... it's not a moral judgement ... it's not all of who you are ... it's a virus ... as a species, we beat virus's everyday ...

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 05:45:02 pm »
Brooke,
  Sorry to hear you are tired..... it sucks to be worn out all the time.  Have you sat down with a nutritionist?  Sometimes a nutritionist can give you specific advice about supplements or vitamins that may help.  Another avenue to check is exercise.  It seems counterproductive, but exercising may help you get a better night's rest giving you more energy in the end.  You don't have to run a marathon, but something as simple as going for a walk can help.  It's always more fun with a friend.

Another area to look at is Caffeine and Alcohol.  If you consume much of either they can mess with your sleep cycle and so you may want to evaluate how much of either are right for you.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.  :)
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline rmgjunk

• Blue Lantern Corps!
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 06:04:59 pm »
Hi,

I found out recently that a cup of chamomile tea at night makes me feel better the other day.  Probably because it's a mild sedative and reduces anxiety.  Heck, even if it's because of the placebo effect, I don't care :-)

Hope you feel better soon,
Roger
14-Sep-2009 Tested positive
Last labs: VL <47, CD4 441/29%
Current meds: AZT, 3TC, Nevirapine

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 07:07:46 pm »
Brooke, I was thinking about ya today at the doc.  First, thanks to leatherman and my doc I found out testosterone is an issue in women.  Second, I had made a posting about having a lot of fatigue after the holidays.  I went to the doc and they did bloodwork. 

I got results today.  My hemocrit, on a few occasions, has dropped just below the normal range.  I get different opinions whether just a small dip below normal would cause fatigue.  I couldn't get an answer to the difference of being on the low end of the normal range and being at the high end--not just hemocrit but most things.  I would assume I should feel better at the high end of it. 

They also checked my thyroid.  It is in the normal range, but at the low end.  They checked testosterone and free testosterone.  The normal range for testost is 250-1100 at my lab.  Mine was 288.  Would I feel more energized at 1100?  Seems like I would, but I don't know.  Free Testosterone was 55.6.....normal is 35-155.  Seems like I'm on the low end on that.  Everything else was normal...except for total protein which is usually high in HIVers.

I guess what I'm saying is that I agree that it is hard to pinpoint these things.  Would testosterone therapy help me?  Would starting HIV meds get the hemocrit up higher?  I've been reading I should have vitamins checked...like Vit B12, D, Folate.  It would be interesting to see your labs if you don't mind sharing them. 

I wish ya some good zzzzzzzzzz and more energy.  Everyone keeps telling me the importance of serotonin and taking depression meds if you feel you need them.  A new study just came out about Lexapro.  I think it said it gave people more energy and helped brain function.

Offline Brooke P.

• The Best men in the world, my Dad and my Son!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 07:45:27 pm »
Thanks you everyone for the great suggestions!  I go back to the doctors on the 25th so I'll ask him to check some of this for me. 

I do seem to sleep very deeply.  Although I have a 4year old so sometimes I am awaken in the middle of the night but that doesn't happen but maybe once every 3 weeks or so. 

Caffeine or alcohol.  I don't drink any caffeine after lunch, after that it's water and milk with dinner.  Alcohol, maybe once a month but usually on the weekend.

Unfortunately I can't really change my schedule because of work.  I have to get up at 5:30 in order to get my son up and be ready to leave the house by 7. 

Stress may have a little to do with it.  I work for AT&T (now) which took over Bellsouth about a year or so ago.  I've been with the company for 11 years now and don't really want to change my job.  Mainly because I have the best benefits around.  Amazingly my Atripla only costs me $20.00 for 30 days worth.  Can't beat that!

I'll keep everyone posted on what I find out at the docs later this month.
Feb. 2003 -tested positive
Started Kaletra and Combivir
2/26/03  CD4=1080   VL=218,333
3/3/03    CD4=1072   VL=546,010
4/10/03  CD4=1886   VL=1901
12/23/03 CD4=1711   VL=<50
STOPPED MEDS IN JUNE 2004
STARTED BACK WHEN I GOT PREGNANT
9/2009  CD4=274    VL=199,420
WENT 4 YEARS WITHOUT MEDS NOW I'M BACK ON MEDS, ATRIPLA
11/2009 CD4=574    VL=350
2/24/2010 CD4=851 VL=48

Offline franfrog

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 12:47:12 pm »
Brooke
I think everyone has had some good insight.  I know that since my diagnosis I have realized my fatigue level has gone beyond where I was.  Always had fatigue due to anemia.  Since on meds my anemia has been fixed but always seemed fatigued.  I did come to find I was suffering from depression and recently bipolar.  So far the meds seem to be working, I sleep horrible at night but do seem to be more energized in the morning and through out the day.  May want to look into that after speaking with your Dr. about other possabilities.
7/05 diagnosis cd4- 52 vl -?
08/05 cd4-299 vl-1900
10/05 cd4-249 vl-349
12/05 cd4-349 vl-52
03/06 cd4-454 vl-<50
06/06 cd4-508 vl-<50

Offline tommy246

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 01:09:29 pm »
Im on atripla and wasnt getting the quality sleep i used to i think the dreams seem so real  i wake up exhausted and toss and turn alot. So lately ive been exercising a little then taking a hot bath or shower and a relaxation herb tea before bed and am getting a sort of deeper better quality sleep.
jan 06 neg
dec 08 pos cd4 505 ,16%, 1,500vl
april 09 cd4 635 ,16%,60,000
july 09 ,cd4 545,17%,80,000
aug 09,hosptal 18days pneumonia cd190,225,000,15%
1 week later cd4 415 20%
nov 09 cd4 591 ,vl 59,000,14%,started atripla
dec 09  cd4 787, vl 266, 16%
march 2010  cd4 720 vl non detectable -20  20%
june 2010  cd4  680, 21%, ND

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.