Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:45:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 604
Total: 604

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Neuropathy in both arms and hand  (Read 8061 times)

Offline smalltown66

Neuropathy in both arms and hand
« on: July 16, 2009, 09:40:41 am »
Can some one give me some advice about gettingproper diagnosis for peripheral neuropathy?
 I take the Rayataz,Viread and Norvir combo. Ive. been on this combo for about 5 years now. Over the last six month, I experience numbness, pins and needles and pain in both arms and hands. I had a MRI on my cervical spine which show some deteriorating disc but no impingement on the spinal cord.
The surgeon suggest that the neuropathy could be stemming from the Medication combo and the virus itself.

How does the doctor go about diagnosing peripheral  neuropathy?

Thanks in advance!

Smalltown66
Lifting the weight of the world sure is easier with others with the same goal.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Neuropathy in both arms and hand
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 09:52:17 am »
Hello

Well you combo is one drug short of being a proper combo, I do wonder why?....

This aside, the peripheral neuropathy (PN)....

Diagnosis is via a neurological investigation, mainly a nerve conductance, reflex and grip/response test. You need to see a neurologist for this.

Bilateral (ie both sides) symmetrical (same body part, same time) neuropathy is suggestive of possible PN. PN starts slowly at the extremities and works up. But not conclusive, there are other causes

Your combo is not strongly associated with PN, but that does not mean it ain't one of the drugs in your combo.

Also, this could be a peripheral circulation problem.

In short, go see a neurologist.

I would also see an osteopath and see if that helps.

This can also be an effect from smoking and drinking (see circulation).

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 09:52:49 am »
PS - if your viral load is undetectable it's not the virus - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline smalltown66

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 07:41:31 pm »
I take the Rayataz,Viread and Norvir combo. Ive. been on this combo for about 5 years now.

I'm sorry I must be having a Senior moment I take Reyataz, Truvada, and Norvir in combination.
Thanks Matt for all the good advice. I do have an appointment to have a EMG done soon. I have seen a neurosurgeon in which reviewed MRI of neck . He saw no evidence of nerve impingement. He suggests talking with my HIV Doc about neuropathy and my drug regimen.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 10:32:17 pm »

I've had neuropathy  off & on for the last 15 yrs. it's hard to diagnose, I've been on nuerotin and other types of Meds, but, none really worked for me, and most of the time they DO NOTHING about it, the older you get the WORSE it get's..........I have it in both my legs, feet, arms and hands, it worse in the wintertime, when it get's colder outside,but can creep up on you in the summertime as well, it's getting harder for me to ride my bike 9 miles, and even do any weight training anymore, I really need to talk to my ID Doctor about this when I see her in AUG ......I'm only 53 yrs. old and I'm in very good shape, but, I fear, this won't last, if I can no longer do my workouts and aerobics anymore, to keep my body & heart healthy, we all get old, but, I really didn't think this would happen to me so soon, but I've had AIDS for the last 22 yrs. and been on Meds for a very long time, so, I guess I can't really expect a lot nowadays  ???
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:52:25 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline smalltown66

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 04:56:35 pm »
Denb45,

Thanks for your comments. I can relate about getting older. I am now 43 and sometimes I feel much older. Lots of pains and side effects from long term HIV therapy. I have been positive for 14 years. I too experience more pain in the winter months. Every year it seems there is something new to deal with.
As I have stated, the latest problems of osteoporosis and this possible neuropathy have started to affect my mobility. Exercise is hard to stick with when you have to deal with the pain. Let me know what your Doctor suggest for you.

thanks again,
Smalltown66

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 06:17:55 pm »
Hi,

I never had Neuropathy, until I started on meds. But I am still convinced it's virus related. It was around the early part of 2004, when it all started. I have it in the arms, hands, and feet.  There are some days that are worse then others. I know I've mentioned this many times before, but there was a time in 2004 when it hurt too much to even drive a car.  My partner did most of the driving, as I was going through that worse stretch of Neuropathy.  Then things started settling down a little. I still have pain in the feet. Tingling/numbness/ in the legs, and that minor electric shock type of feeling on the forearms and hands.

I went to a neurologist to be tested for it. The entire test took about 35-40 minutes from the time they wire you up, until the completion of the test.

I am still fortunate enough, that I don't have to take anything for it.  On the days that are bad, I may take an aspirin,  but I really don't like taking anymore than I have to. When I was first diagnosed with it, I was precribed Neurontin,  but that didn't do me any good !

Take care ----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 07:47:08 pm »
Hi,

I never had Neuropathy, until I started on meds. But I am still convinced it's virus related. It was around the early part of 2004, when it all started. I have it in the arms, hands, and feet.  There are some days that are worse then others. I know I've mentioned this many times before, but there was a time in 2004 when it hurt too much to even drive a car.  My partner did most of the driving, as I was going through that worse stretch of Neuropathy.  Then things started settling down a little. I still have pain in the feet. Tingling/numbness/ in the legs, and that minor electric shock type of feeling on the forearms and hands.

I went to a neurologist to be tested for it. The entire test took about 35-40 minutes from the time they wire you up, until the completion of the test.

I am still fortunate enough, that I don't have to take anything for it.  On the days that are bad, I may take an aspirin,  but I really don't like taking anymore than I have to. When I was first diagnosed with it, I was precribed Neurontin,  but that didn't do me any good !

Take care ----Ray

Yeah, the Test of Neuropathy is kinda of joke, I've had 2 of them , they are always inconclusive........LOL!.... and they don't seem to really measure much anything, also Neurontin, made my testicles shrink and sweat, other than that, it did NOTHING at all.........I really don't like PAIN KILLERS, they make me sick to my stomach, and I have a weak tummy anyway from all of the AIDS Medications I've taken over the yrs........
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 07:54:51 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 08:33:33 pm »
I have neuropathy in my ankles and feet. There are times they just ache. It doesn't matter whether I am sitting, standing or laying down.

It is worse when my feet are in tight shoes or are very warm. Its all I can do not to rip my shoes and sock off.

Aside from that, as others said, part of my problem is growing older and part because of having been on meds for so long.

Lately, my arthritis is being a pain - literally.

But, what do you do? I still believe HIV causes a person to age more rapidly.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 05:28:18 pm »
(small hijack)
Mark, I think you are right about HIV making one age faster, especially when speaking about neurological aspects, ie: memory and coordination, as well as with joints and muscles.

(small hijack over)
Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 10:44:02 pm »
I'm over 40 and have had what is thought to be neuropathy for a little over a year affecting my feet and hands. If I wear tight shoes it acts up, also acts up in the winter. I find myself walking around with my shoe laces untied (yes, dangerous I know but feels so good) or I will also slip my feet out of my shoes while Im driving. The doc just prescribed me Neurotnin last week, but am holding off taking it for now. Will probably start it closer to winter.

So yes seems it might be related to aging with HIV.

As far as getting diagnosed, I was walking to the exam room when doctor commented that my shoes were untied, then told her about the pains.....she said "probably neuropathy, ill give you some Neurontin"

-Shoelaces Will
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 10:46:00 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline WaldoJJ

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 11:35:30 pm »
I have had severe neuropathy in my hands and feet for the last 5 years.

I have tried Neurontin and several other medications with little result.

Medical marijuana has helped me tremendously.  It is a medication that calms my nerves safely, quickly and effectively.

Work for medical marijuana in your state, it helps so many conditions with very few and mild side effects.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.