Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:28:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 221
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Any Advice to Vegetarians among us??  (Read 8111 times)

Offline BlkRedBonenla

• My MySpace Page
Any Advice to Vegetarians among us??
« on: April 19, 2007, 12:05:22 pm »
The PETA.com site is a good source of recipes and information.

I get all my vitamins, herbs from Vitacost.com - the best prices I'd found so far
Super 10 Antioxidant
Super Potency Hi-B-100
NutriBiotic Defense Plus graefruit seed extract
New Chapter Host Defense
Licorice root
Slippery Elm Bark [as needed]

Any other advice for a vegetarian? I do crave meat from time to time and when I eat it I get very ill, flu-like. My biggest issue is PROTEIN and avoiding too much wheat gluten.

Cheers!
- cd4 20 2/07 & 50K VL

**** 3/07 started ATRIPLA *******
- cd4 70 5/07 & Undetectable VL
- cd4 218 11/07 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 297 3/08 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439 1/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 436 4/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 442 8/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 512 11/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 531 2/10 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439??? 6/10 & Undetectable VL ...

"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, but some minds can only handle a little." - George Bernard Shaw

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
Re: Any Advice to Vegetarians among us??
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 02:22:45 pm »
Ah yes protein!

If you aren't lactose intolerent and also do consume milk products, you can get a good protein supplement with Whey Protien Powders. I am not a vegetarian, but i supplement with Whey in the morning as I'm trying to loose wieght and boost muscle via excersize. A good brand is Jarrow Natural, which tastes bland, but is easy to add to milk. (its like powered milk with just water, bit thin though.) New york buyers club offers a Large container of Jarrow's Whey for 15 bucks. 1 scoop of the proein power provides 18 grams of protien. I use 1 and 1/2 scoops in 8 ounces of milk, which provides 35 grams in one shot.

And you get the bonus of the Whey converting to glutamine easily, which is a nice thing for the intestinal track. (if you aren't already using glutamine as a supp.)

But if your a VEGAN, then this option may not apply, but then you would look at the Soy Based Protien Powders, which I'm unfamilar with, but might meet your needs as well.

As to the amount of protein one needs in a day, well if your a wieght lifter and looking to build muscle, the recommendation I've heard, and this is just what I've hears, 1gram of protien per pound that you wieght. I would consider this more than the average person needs per day, but that's how far some programs go.

I found this on the web, from australia (no preference, just it was the first site I stumbled on)

The Australian Recommended Dietary Intake for protein is 55 g per day for adults. However, few Australian adults eat such a small quantity. Most men eat about twice this amount. Protein requirements are increased by vigorous physical activity. The international expert, Prof Peter Lemon, recommends 1.2 - 1.4 g protein per kg body weight per day for individuals regularly active in endurance exercise and 1.6 - 1.7 g protein/kg/day for individuals who regularly strength train.

This means, for example, that a 75 kg man would need up to 127 g of protein per day if he is undertaking regular resistance training for strength. This is a little more than is commonly eaten by the average Australian male, however, the extra food that this man would need to eat (to replace the extra energy used up by doing the training) will probably provide him with the required additional protein. This requires him to make sure that he includes some protein-rich foods in his diet each day. Foods that are moderately rich in protein include cereal foods (bread, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals), and potatoes. Meat, fish, eggs, milk and milk products are very rich sources of protein.

Many years ago, nutritionists spoke of 'first class' and 'second class' protein. The first class protein was supposed to be supplied by eggs, meat and fish, while second class protein was provided by foods of plant origin. This concept is no longer current. The 8 amino acids you need can be supplied by any diet commonly encountered in Australia - omnivorous (all foods), lacto-vegetarian (vegetarian plus milk products), lacto-ovo-vegetarian (vegetarian plus milk products and eggs) or, with carefully-chosen combinations of plant foods, vegan (no foods of animal origin). It is still true, however that eggs are the best food source of high quality protein for people. Eating two or three eggs a week is certainly compatible with good health and fitness.

Hope this helps.

risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline BlkRedBonenla

• My MySpace Page
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 06:12:58 pm »
Ah yes protein!

But if your a VEGAN, then this option may not apply, but then you would look at the Soy Based Protien Powders, which I'm unfamilar with, but might meet your needs as well.

As to the amount of protein one needs in a day, well if your a wieght lifter and looking to build muscle, the recommendation I've heard, and this is just what I've hears, 1gram of protien per pound that you wieght. I would consider this more than the average person needs per day, but that's how far some programs go.

Hope this helps.

I am not only lactose intolerant but I'm not the first to point out ot you that we are the only species who drink the milk of another animal and do so beyond infancy.

The soy powder is a great suggestion, mixed with my rice milk etc.

Thanks!
- cd4 20 2/07 & 50K VL

**** 3/07 started ATRIPLA *******
- cd4 70 5/07 & Undetectable VL
- cd4 218 11/07 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 297 3/08 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439 1/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 436 4/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 442 8/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 512 11/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 531 2/10 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439??? 6/10 & Undetectable VL ...

"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, but some minds can only handle a little." - George Bernard Shaw

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 06:21:22 pm »
Be sure, whatever diets you follow, to remember there are caveats for us hi-fivers.

Depending on the meds you are taking, if you are taking meds, you may need additional protein, etc., to prevent anemia from becoming a problem.

Another problem is malabsorption of nutrients common among those of us with the bug. This can lead to vitamin deficiencies and other problems among those whose diets aren't restricted, let alone those who have eschewed animal products.

A vegetarian diet can be very beneficial to your health, but, as always, we must measure those benefits against any possible detriments because of our positive status.

If memory serves, Ann is a vegetarian and can probably give some good pointers about this subject.

HUGS,

Mark

Edited to add: I should mention I have looked into this topic a little because I am a celiac, which also affects my diet choices, so I try to learn as much as I can.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 06:24:50 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 06:56:00 pm »
Protein supplementation:

As a vegetarian who tries to eat a balanced diet that I mostly cook myself I am still supplementing it with a daily intake of spirulina. I know that  some here have warned about excess of iron which is not advised for hivers but if you are strictly vegetarian it should not be a problem.
I make sure that my multivits for example are iron free. Spirulina is about 95% of its weight protein and also contains a lot of micronutrients. Technically a bacteria (cyano bacteria) it is sold as a blue algae (probably not to scare people!). Main source of Spirulina are Hawaii, California and Japan.

Other than that, the usual tofu and various nuts (watch those because of high fat content...). Beans also an excellent source of protein but no help with the Viread gases... ::)

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline Jake72

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:54:23 pm »
I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for over six years (except for very brief forays into seafood) ...I basically just try to follow follow common nutritional sense- get a varied, balanced diet that's (ideally) rich in vitamins and minerals, fibre, lots of colorful vegetables, and, as been stated above, plenty of protein (especially soy/tofu, which is a complete protein...nuts and legumes-like lentils-are also good)  I don't take any supplements, but if you feel comfortable taking supplements and your doc is all right with it, then go for it.   Because I'm lacto-ovo, I do get nutrients from dairy and eggs.  Vegans would have to be creative about finding alternate sources.  I am aware that some of the omegas are available in flaxseed, for instance  And iron can be found in spinach (thanks, Popeye, for that lesson!).
You could also drink an Ensure or maybe a Slim-Fast...or eat a bowl of Total for extra nutrient coverage. 
As far as I know, I've never had a deficiency, and my bloodwork has been fine (knock on wood!).  My doc has always been supportive of my decision to be a vegetarian. 

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 03:37:41 am »
A note on flaxseed:

they are not that easy to digest and usually exit your body unharmed and therefore unused. Try using flaxseed oil instead, but make sure never to heat it as it becomes toxic when heated. Use it for your salad dressing for example, an excellent source of omega 3 without that nasty fish oil smell (and the satisfaction of not depleting further the very threatened fish stocks of the oceans).

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline Zanarkand

• All Your Base Are Belong To Us
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 08:06:06 pm »
I'm semi Vegetarian so I often have low Iron count.
I recommend taking an iron complex
All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 01:30:05 am »
I used to be vegetarian, but now I am vegan.

Physicians Committee For Responsible Medicine is a great resource- http://www.pcrm.org/health

Check out their new four food groups-
http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/food_groups.html

and lots of recipes-
http://www.pcrm.org/health/recipes/index.html

Bests,
Drew

Offline Hard Times

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 03:14:38 pm »
i take vegetarain multi vitimins, alot of calsium, & potassium.
Your Body Is What You Are.
Your Soul Is Who You Are.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.