Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:36:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 226
Total: 228

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bowling anyone?  (Read 15030 times)

Offline Trish

Bowling anyone?
« on: August 05, 2006, 11:48:30 pm »
If you do, you should bowl against me & John....

WE SUCK!!! :o

So, we're going to join a league this fall...

it's the "Not So Good League" and we're a shoe-in. ;D

And I'm dead serious. ;D
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Bowling anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 11:53:32 pm »
I suck at bowling, but have ALWAYS had a terrific time when I've tried. Could be that bowling is one of the few sports that combines dexterity, large heavy things, and beer.

I think I even have a bowling shirt somewhere :).
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 11:54:26 pm »
I just don't get the right hops

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 11:56:08 pm »
I think I even have a bowling shirt somewhere

wearing mine to Ric and Thom's wedding

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 02:25:51 am »
we simply must find a bowling alley in Montreal...
-D
Boys are Stupid

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 03:33:06 am »
Trishie,

There was this bowling league that all my friends from the bar were on.  Since I was not on the league, I could not play... Actually, even if I was on the league, I still couldn't play... I am also that bad.

Bowling Alleys always have a bar and since I was there with bar friends, we drank.  Not a lot of surprise there if you will.  One night, I decided to be the cheerleader because all bowling leagues should have a special person to rally the troops and distract the opposing teams.

MY CHEER

I SIZZLE, I ROAR, BECAUSE I AM A WHORE...  I'M TACKY, I PREEN, BECAUSE I AM A QUEEN... RAH, RAH, EAT ME RAW... YEAH TEAM
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 03:42:53 am by Sonomabeach »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 02:27:06 pm »
Yes, I bowl. Not well, mind you, but I bowl. I think my average is only around 135.

But, every year, I am on the Laughlin League. Yep, I'm referring to Lauglin, Nevada, the only place an old fart like myself can go and feel like a youngster!  ;D

Anyway, its lots of fun, although I don't drink beer.

Oh, and Jonathan, since you have a bowling shirt, bring it to Montreal. I'll show you mine if you show me yours!  :D

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 07:21:46 pm »
I love to bowl, but am terrible at it.

I don't have my own ball, and when I find one in the bowling alley that has the holes far enough apart for my fingers to fit in, it is so damn heavy I can't lift it.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 09:52:45 pm »
I think what's important about bowling is to react with the correct phrases:
Like when someone leaves only the head pin you must say:  "You left the head pin you PINHEAD"
Another gutter ball for the guttermind.

Last time I went bowling they turned off the lights and it was neon black lights and weird coloured bowling balls that glowed.  I did allot better.....and I can't even remember what that was called.  The next day I had bowling butt, which is the correct term for sore glut on one side only.  (keep it clean people...)

Sae.

Meh.

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 10:05:27 pm »
I actually played bowling for several years ( about 7 years ) and even played tournament in Vermont / Burlington/ Plattsburg / Montréal / Québec City when I was about 20 years old. I'd like to specify those tournaments weren't the highest caliber, yet I had an average of 190 when I stopped. The big players at these tournaments had average of 225+. I'm talking about the big ones here as I never had fun with the small ones.

I still have my two bowling balls ( one being used if floor has been freshly waxed...and another when it's not anymore ). When I started to go serious into school I didn't have anymore time for it, and only played once in the last 15 years. The first three games were pretty bad but slowly it started to come back but never pursued after this last event.  ::)

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 09:50:51 am »
Okay truth be known......

SHE SUCKS

(and I like it) ;D

I had a 170 the last game.  Doesn't matter that it followed a 125.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 09:55:56 am »
I was on a bowling league for about 10 yrs.
I wasn't very good but had alot of fun.
The only times I bowled really good was when I was pregnant....LOL
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Trish

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 09:57:00 am »
we simply must find a bowling alley in Montreal...
-D

You're on Danny... let's do it.

Canuck, I was in on a league team years ago... I was pretty good, I guess.  I averaged 150-160.  I suppose with some practice I'll get right back into it and I'll kick John's ass. :D

Sae, midnight bowling is the best.  We used to do that often when I lived in Brooklyn.  What a blast, getting drunk and then bowling in the neon lights... and you are so right about the bowling butt, my left cheek is killing me.  Anyone wanna kiss it and make it feel better? :D

Alan, you'll fit right in with me and John then.  Really, we both suck!!!

Mark, is that Laughin League???  Sounds more appropriate, NO? ;) :o

Michael, I definitely want you as our cheerleader... I love that cheer of yours!!!  GOOOOO MICHAEL!!!

Jonathan, you'll fill up our team perfectly... since we all suck.  We could call our team, "The Suckers."  And we'd all look FANTABULOUS in our bowling shirts that say, "We Suck, but we suck real goooooooood!"  :o ;D ;)  How's that for a tagline? :D
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Trish

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 09:58:55 am »
Teresa, you can only be on our team when you are NOT pregnant... we only want people who suck.  Okay? :D  We can't have you doing better than us.

Offline Trish

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 09:59:39 am »
Of course you do honey!!! :D

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 09:59:48 am »
dun won no steeeeeenking tagline

But I don't mind the suck part!!! ;D :P :-* ;D :D ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:03:46 am by kcmetroman »

Offline Sdgirl

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 10:01:33 am »
I have to say that I am a pretty damn good bowler!  Somehow it just comes naturally to me..........must be something about holding balls in my hands or something like that!   :o

PLUS...........bowling alleys have THE BEST french fries!!

Lisa
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 10:05:41 am »
Lisa, you bowl with two balls?  No wonder you were good.

but it can get painfull

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 10:07:23 am »
Hey Trish....

I have enjoyed bowling in the past but was never really good at it.  I wouldnt say I suck ::)...well not when it comes to bowling anyway but I discovered wearing the right shoes and choosing the "right" ball does wonders for my game.  Walking back with my head held low after making a fabulous gutter ball shot always made me feel like a big sissy... ::)
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Trish

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 10:08:42 am »
I have to say that I am a pretty damn good bowler!  Somehow it just comes naturally to me..........must be something about holding balls in my hands or something like that!   :o

PLUS...........bowling alleys have THE BEST french fries!!

Lisa

Whatever do you mean, my dear?  ??? :o :D  You nasty girl, you... :D

Offline Trish

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 10:09:54 am »
Walking back with my head held low after making a fabulous gutter ball shot always made me feel like a big sissy... ::)

You're on the team David. ;D

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 10:10:42 am »
Anyone can suck.

I submit that we would swallow.

I'm just sayin.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 10:12:05 am »
 ;D

The Canuck

Offline Teresa

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 10:16:15 am »
Teresa, you can only be on our team when you are NOT pregnant... we only want people who suck.  Okay? :D  We can't have you doing better than us.

You got a deal there Trish....My Pregnant days are WAY behind me!

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 10:20:43 am »

Trish is team captain......he he

Offline Trish

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2006, 10:21:02 am »
Anyone can suck.

I'm just sayin.

Okay Jonathan.  Done.  Not a problem here. ;D

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2006, 10:38:14 am »
Wow.
Eep.

I played baseball on a team called "Wankers" once....
Kind of weird for a team sport, but we could amuse....ourselves.

Perhaps suckers is a bit overtly sexual...how about the teabaggers?

Sae.
Meh.

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2006, 11:14:56 am »
I was only half joking when I said we should bowl in Montreal...  Anyone up for it?
-D
Boys are Stupid

Offline Trish

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2006, 11:19:35 am »
I'm up for it Dan... let's see what happens and play it by ear. K?

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2006, 11:38:05 am »
 :D

One of the things I always liked about bowling was.... Its the only sport I know of, where you can be legally drunk, and participate in ;D

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Trish

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2006, 11:44:57 am »
You got that right Ray. ;D  Actually, I bowl much better when I'm drunk.  No inhibitiions at all.  I guess that was my problem the other night, no alcohol...damn.

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2006, 06:01:30 pm »
 ;D
Bowling is a great excuse to drink beer, and that is a good thing.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2006, 08:35:52 pm »

I knew a woman in a league once. She had a hand towel with  " I am giving up bowling for sex, the balls are lighter, and you don't have to change your shoes"     ;D

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Eldon

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2006, 11:06:55 pm »
Hello Everyone, Bowling is fun and it is a good stress releiver.

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2006, 06:52:00 am »
I'm up for it......in Montreal if we can find the time?  But I refuse to be the only

"GUTTERBALL QUEEN" ::)
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2006, 09:03:51 am »
Very eloquently put Eldon

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2006, 09:48:01 am »
I used to have a couple of friends that worked at a bowling alley. I got into the habit of stopping in after work.
I was the 'Boyfriend' of the bartender so that all of the guys would qiut hitting on her
 I hung out there for almost a year and never touched a ball.  ;D

Bowling trivia : Brunswick, the bowling alley chain and sports equipment manufacturer also makes Cruise Missiles. Hows THAT for a strike.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2006, 02:34:09 pm »
Got my first bowling ball for my 16th birthday. My partner and I use to bowl on a straight league on Tuesday nights. The bowling was fun but we liked cruising the drunk str8 guys more than the bowling. :) I was never that good at it. Just like golf I never follow thru with my swing. My partner still bowls. It gets his mind off me and the PML. Since I'm doing better this year I might tag along to watch.

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2006, 11:30:23 pm »
Anyone can suck.

I'm just sayin.

But of course   :D

Spitters are Quitters!!!    8)
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline Shawn Decker

• "Gee, Shawn!"
    • MY PET VIRUS
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2006, 12:52:04 am »
I come from a long line of bowlers.  I tried to deny what was in my blood for many years, then in high school I gave in.  At 19 I bought my first bowling ball; I have owned several.  And I have seen both my father and my brother bowl perfect 300 games in sanctioned leagues.  (They give you a big Liberace ring with "300" on it.)
Shawn

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2006, 01:21:01 am »
Posted by: livingpositively
Insert Quote
Quote from: jkinatl2 on August 07, 2006, 10:10:42 AM
Anyone can suck.

I'm just sayin.

But of course   

Spitters are Quitters!!!   

What about garglers?

Just meandering down memory lane with a bag containing two balls and a pair of ugly shoes.

I'm up for it if others are.

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.