Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:01:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 325
Total: 325

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV and TB test  (Read 16957 times)

Offline nervous79

HIV and TB test
« on: July 01, 2006, 10:29:27 am »
Hi,

Your site is awesome.

My question is somewhat unusual. 4 months ago I went in to get a TB test for a new job. The girl who administered the test did not wear gloves, which I didn't notice until it was too late.  I didn't really think anything of it at the time, but lately it's been weighing on my mind. I didn't see any blood on her hands or anything like that, but I thought health care providers were always supposed to wear gloves when performing these types of procedures.

Does this situation pose a risk?

Thank you!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: HIV and TB test
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 10:31:23 am »
No risk.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 12:15:49 pm »
Please read the opening thread which links to the lesson on transmission. You get all the basics there about what's risky and what isn't.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline nervous79

Gyno question
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 12:14:03 pm »
Is it dangerous if your gynecologist doesn't wash her hands between patients? The last time I went to mine, she wore gloves, but didn't wash her hands before or after examining me.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 12:32:11 pm »
Nervous,

Well..... it's not a risk for hiv. 

If you're concerned about other possibilities, a good place to start would be confiding your concerns to your gynecologist.  You might ask what her routine is in regard to these issues.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline nervous79

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 11:17:50 am »
Does anyone else have an opinion on this? I'm very scared. I can't eat, sleep. I'm afraid of infecting my fiance even though he's convinced I'm ok. I don't know what to do.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 12:18:51 pm »
I certainly don't see any risk of HIV in this situation with regard to your gynecological examinations.

What is it you think you are going to infect your fiancee with?
Andy Velez

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 12:26:29 pm »
I think they are scared of infecting them with Fear Andy. That's the only thing I see her suffering from.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 03:51:47 pm »
F alse                            F ace
E vidance                      E verything
A ppearing                    A nd
R eal                             R ecover

theres both, the problem & the solution*
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline nervous79

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 06:30:24 am »
I know I probably sound like a complete loon. It's just that not only did my gyno not wash her hands, she only wore a glove on the hand that she was examining me with. She handled the instruments she used on me with her other hand and that makes me nervous. I have all these what ifs. What if she had blood or vaginal secretions on her bare hand? What if that blood got on the instruments and then was passed onto me?

I know all this is highly unlikely, and I read the lessons and I've done my research. I know HIV doesn't live outside the body for more than a few minutes, so even if there was something on her bare hand, she probably couldn't have infected me. Still, I can't help but wonder. Is there a chance that I got infected? Or is all of this in my head?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 07:03:16 am »
No and yes it is all in your head.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 08:01:35 am »
Nervous,

You have every right to ask a doctor or other health care professional to wash their hands in front of you. There are pathogens that get passed around hospitals and other health care settings as a direct result of poor hand-washing practice.

However, hiv is not one of them.

At the hospital I attend in the UK, all the nurses carry a clip-on bottle of antibacterial hand gel that can be used without water.

Instead of coming here to discuss this, I suggest you take your concerns to your doc. This is NOT an hiv situation, but this IS an hiv website.

As long as you're here, you might as well educate yourself. Hiv is going to be with us for a long time to come.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can make sure your fella is using them properly. While you're on either of those pages, have a look through the bottom three links in the left-hand column. They discuss ways that you, as a woman, can protect yourself. I recommend the female condom as they are also excellent barriers against hiv infection, and importantly, they give YOU the control over condom use. They can even be put in place in advance so you're not fumbling around at the crucial moment. They're fiddly to use at first, but if you can put a tampon in, you can use these. It gets easier with practice. Give them a try.

Use condoms for intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline nervous79

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 10:00:42 am »
Thanks everyone. Is it normal for a doctor to only wear one glove during a pap smear? This is the first time I've seen this.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 11:11:46 am »
Nervous,

Some doctors wear gloves, some don't. This is something to ask your own doctor about.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline nervous79

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 03:01:57 pm »
Well, I am in therapy regarding my intense fear of HIV. About a month ago I was hit in the arm (at a hospital) with a bag containing dirty linen. I was certain there was a hypodermic needle that pricked me, even though everyone told me that that's not possible as needles are disposed of in sharps containers, not linen bags. Anyway, I've been so upset that I am now in therapy.

Here's my question: My therapist said that HIV might not show up in a blood test for years and years. She said it's rare for that to happen, but that it has happened. Is this true?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 03:07:20 pm »
Get a new therapist, the one you have now doesn't know a damn thing about HIV transmission. It's NOT rare for that to happen after years and NO it has never happened.

Offline nervous79

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 11:53:59 am »
Even though I'm in therapy, I still can't help but think that I may have been infected with HIV because of my latest incident.

I work in a hospital (not directly with patients) and I was walking down the hallway. The housekeeper was throwing a large plastic bag filled with dirty linen (I think it was dirty linen) into the trash bin, and he accidentally hit my arm with the bag. I don't think I felt a sharp pain, but I can't remember as this happened a month ago. Anyway, I went to employee health and the nurse practitioner looked at my arm (which was red) and told me I have nothing to worry about. She could not see a puncture wound. Another nurse looked at my arm as well and also could not see a puncture wound. When I came home, my fiance also did not see anything.

I was tested for HIV, hepatitis, syphilis 19 days after this incident. All tests were negative.

My fear is that there might have been an infected needle in the linen bag and that it was infected with HIV. How long can HIV live inside a hypedermic needle?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 12:01:45 pm »
You do NOT need to work in a hospital so long as you have a debilitating mental condition.

And you know this.

You also know what we will say here on this site regarding your experiences and irrational thought. Which leads me to believe you are coming here as part of your pathology. The flagellation of others in order to reinforce the underlying behaviour.

I withdraw from further conversation, as I hate being an unwilling participant in someone's pathology.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline nervous79

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 12:14:22 pm »
You're right, I don't need to work at a hospital. I am currently on a leave of absence and will probably end up leaving permanently.

Can someone please tell me how long the virus can live inside a hypodermic needle?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 12:20:46 pm »
Contract your employer for your answers. You have onsite people that deal with your concern. You do not need to be coming here with it.

Offline nervous79

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 12:26:19 pm »
My employer told me I was fine, that there was no needle in the bag, and that I need to take a leave of absence until I'm back to normal. They won't tell me how long the virus can live inside a needle and that's all I want to know. Please, does anyone have an answer?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 12:32:40 pm »
I can see there is more to this story than you enlighten us with. You never got stuck with a needle and HIV discarded needles wouldn't be in an unmarked bag.

Offline nervous79

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 12:39:11 pm »
That really is the whole story. Aside from that, I have moderate - severe OCD, which I am on medication for. I have a severe fear of germs, and especially HIV. This incident with the bag hitting my arm is my only risk. I only have one sexual partner, my fiance who does not have HIV, we don't do any drugs, I don't even drink alcohol. I'm just scared that if there was a needle in the bag, I could have gotten infected. Please help.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 12:44:08 pm »
This is not the place to come for your OCD help. Contact your doctor.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 01:42:05 pm »
nervous,

This needle in a haystack theory of yours is rather far-fetched and I think you realise this on some level. Perhaps it's time for an appointment with your therapist to review your drug regimen and have some top-up talk therapy sessions.

Thankfully, hiv is a fragile difficult to transmit virus and as long as you use condoms for intercourse, you are not going to become infected.

Please discuss your OCD related problems with your therapist - we cannot help you with that here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline nervous79

new problem
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 10:26:04 am »
You guys were right about my OCD problem and I am doing everything I can to get better. I quit my job at the hospital and I am now on new medication.

Unfortunately, something happened yesterday which I think really did put me at risk. I got someone else's blood on my hand at work. A woman I work with cut herself and was bleeding. It wasn't a serious wound or anything, just a cut. Anyway, a couple minutes later she came up to me and wanted to look at my wedding ring. While she was looking at it, she touched my hand and got just a little bit of blood on me.  As soon as I realized I had her blood on my hand, I washed it off and used antibacterial stuff. I then talked to her about it and she said that I have nothing to worry about. She's been married to the same guy for 25 years, doesn't engage in risky behavior, etc. But I'm still worried. I didn't have any open cuts where she got her blood on me, but I did have a small, fresh cut on the opposite side of my hand.

Please tell me that I'm just being paranoid and this is just my disorder driving me crazy. Would it be completely inappropriate to ask her to get tested?

Any response is appreciated. Thank you!

Offline nervous79

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 09:15:14 pm »
Does anyone have an opinion on this? I'm terrified and don't know what to do.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 06:46:01 am »
nervous,

You weren't at risk in the situation you describe. Not one little bit.

Keep working with your therapist concerning the OCD. This is not an OCD website and there is nothing more we can do for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline aidstalk

• HIV/AID Informations
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2006, 03:40:50 am »
After all your testing YOU ARE NOT HIV POSITIVE...PERIOD People with HIV aren't the only ones that get thrush or any other symptoms. You can not diagnosis HIV by symptoms. You are negative, now move on with your life

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.