Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:54:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 238
Total: 239

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Are you dieting now?  (Read 81208 times)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
Are you dieting now?
« on: June 09, 2010, 08:22:21 am »
Of course, I'm asking for those who feel that they maybe 20 lbs or more overweight and are now on a good diet plan that is working.  I have given up sugar and starch, yeah it's Atkins Diet, and lost in 30 days 15 lbs.  Do anyone else have a plan that is working or have any recommendations or criticisms on any diet plan?

Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Are you dieting now?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:04:58 am »
Of course, I'm asking for those who feel that they maybe 20 lbs or more overweight and are now on a good diet plan that is working.  I have given up sugar and starch, yeah it's Atkins Diet, and lost in 30 days 15 lbs.  Do anyone else have a plan that is working or have any recommendations or criticisms on any diet plan?

Thanks

I've been dieting and exercising pretty heavily and in the last week have lost about 3 pounds.  I'm not a big fan of the fad type diets because it's extremely difficult to live like that forever.  Are you exercising at all?

I'm not eating fast food/fried foods and I'm only drinking water which drops all the calories I normally get from Coca Cola and Orange Juice.  In addition I've started jogging at least 2-4 miles every day and working out in generall all in preparation for heading back to the gym.  I eat a very light breakfast and lunch and a slightly less restrictive dinner for a total of about 1500 calories per day I'm burning 300-500 via exercise and I'm seeing results pretty quickly at the moment.  I also allow myself one completely unrestricted meal on sundays.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:38:42 pm »

Burger King has chicken fries now and they are so yummy.  I likes them with da zesty sauce and a side order of onion rings with one of those huge fountain sodas!

Have a nice day!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 04:09:36 pm »
I can't stomach fried foods and don't care for fast food. Lately my nightly diet is a pint of sweetend rice pudding or a pint of chocolate Ben&Jerry's....provided I smoke a light joint. If I didn't indulge I would be in serious trouble with a BMI of 19.7  (height 1.77m & 62kg)

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:47:20 pm »
I've been dieting and exercising pretty heavily and in the last week have lost about 3 pounds.  I'm not a big fan of the fad type diets because it's extremely difficult to live like that forever.  Are you exercising at all?

I'm not eating fast food/fried foods and I'm only drinking water which drops all the calories I normally get from Coca Cola and Orange Juice.  In addition I've started jogging at least 2-4 miles every day and working out in genera ll all in preparation for heading back to the gym.  I eat a very light breakfast and lunch and a slightly less restrictive dinner for a total of about 1500 calories per day I'm burning 300-500 via exercise and I'm seeing results pretty quickly at the moment.  I also allow myself one completely unrestricted meal on sundays.
Well I don't think that Atkins is a fad diet, but it is hard to maintain if you are addicted to sugar and starch which I am.  The Atkins Diet worked for me 5 years ago but I went back to cakes, pies, breads, fries, and the rest and gain 70lbs back.  I had gotten off the diet because someone told me I had looked like I was dying and I had feared that it was true, so to console myself, I went back to sugar and breads, etc.  Now I believe that person was  jealous of my weight loss and mess with my mind. Believe you me, I hate looking at the mirror at myself now.  :( Now I am dedicated to stay off that stuff and get back into my slim form. 

As to your question of exercise, I wish I could run but I have an athletic injury which makes me use a cane for walking.  This summer or a couple of months I will go back to the gym and workout with weights and gain some muscle.  Anyway, if all goes well I will meet my goal by end of August.  Wish me luck...

Dragon

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 04:55:34 pm »
Maybe saying that I'm addicted to sugars and starches is a strong statement, but it may be better to state that my type of metabolism turns high carbohydrates into fat very easily and if I wish to get slimmer I must watch what I eat and avoid the foods that for some is no problem but for me is a problem.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 10:16:27 pm »
If you want to in a private thread I'll disclose height, weight and arm/waist measurements and we can update biweekly in order to bolster and support one another :D

Offline next2u

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 12:04:16 am »
i so want in on this. my girlfriends, fags and i have been obsessing over this for the last few weeks. then i had this skinny fabulous fag come and stay with me for a week.

i'm at my ideal weight but not at the right proportions. i'm like 5'9 and weigh 174. i've started watching what i eat and have taken up a crackhead diet (and i don't recommend it).

during summer my appetite usually skyrockets and it fucking sucks. i don't believe in starvation so i keep plenty of liquids around and a lot of light snacks. im a grazer and im trying to stay under 3000 calories a day. it's easy to eat upwards of 3,000 calories and i'm trying to stick between 2000-2500 depending upon my activities.

so, because of exhaustion and frustration and totally bad dieting habits this is what i do. take vitamins. drink a lot of water. take energy supplements (i like low carb monster - energy booster and appetite suppressant). i am also trying to nix my newly formed caffeine habit.

in addition to not eating any sweets or drinking any other flavored beverages i'm forcing myself to do moderate exercises in the house. got an iron man gym ($30) and do pull ups & dips multiple times a week. i do push ups and situps (absolute torture). eventually i'll make it back to the gym. until then, a lil something something around the house has increased my energy levels.

as for the monsters i still eat an hour or 2 after consumption (as with any energy product) to eliminate my crash. i've also stopped eating beyond saturation and keeping water around me constantly has helped stave off hunger for longer periods. i've also been jogging more and playing more. 

im sure this doesnt help. i would love to be a skinny concave bitch someday.

best,
d
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 07:53:38 pm »
As I discovered tonight, if you want to stay on a diet don't go to Golden Corral.

(burp)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 07:57:38 pm »
As I discovered tonight, if you want to stay on a diet don't go to Golden Corral.

(burp)

Today was my day off and I had fast food for the first time in 2 weeks.  Next time I take a day off from diet and exercise I won't be eating fast food.  I have one hell of a headache and I'm a little nauseous.

Offline Grinch

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 09:40:42 pm »
Weight loss really does amount to a simple concept.  Calories in vs calories out.
I started tracking every bit of food and drink I consumed at the Livestrong.com site.  I found some amazing things such as 3 Dr. Peppers worth of calories every day from Salad dressing and various condiments.
I was eating a ton of carbs and surprisingly little protein.
 A few minor diet changes and a Cardio/weightlifting/Boxing program resulted in over 40lbs dropped with a good bit of muscle gain in 8 months.  I work out 4 days a week.  Fight one day a week and keep calories down.
I aim for 60% protein 20% each fat and carbs.
One cheat meal a week and Ice cream once a week after heavy work out day.
I haven't felt this good in 15 years.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 09:43:14 pm »
Weight loss really does amount to a simple concept.  Calories in vs calories out.
I started tracking every bit of food and drink I consumed at the Livestrong.com site.  I found some amazing things such as 3 Dr. Peppers worth of calories every day from Salad dressing and various condiments.
 A few minor diet changes and a Cardio/weightlifting/Boxing program resulted in over 40lbs dropped with a good bit of muscle gain in 8 months.  I work out 4 days a week.  Fight one day a week and keep calories down.

I tell people all the time the fastest way to cut the most calories out of your diet is to remove 3 things:  Soda(any non water drink as water has 0 calories), Cheese, and Mayo/Salad Dressing.  If you can eat more vegetables and proteins in addition to working out your muscle mass will expand dramatically, which in turn makes weight loss a lot easier.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 04:42:04 am »
I tell people all the time the fastest way to cut the most calories out of your diet is to remove 3 things:  Soda(any non water drink as water has 0 calories), Cheese, and Mayo/Salad Dressing.  If you can eat more vegetables and proteins in addition to working out your muscle mass will expand dramatically, which in turn makes weight loss a lot easier.
Now for full disclosure, I have read the book, "Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution," an not to sound like a infomercial, I do believe that what the book says is valid.  One quote I like and keep on my desk is,” My tendency is to overweight is a sign of a chronic metabolic disorder.  My philology doesn't handle certain food as slim physiologies do.  I must not try to compare my eating habits to those of a person who has never had a weight problem.  Not now.  Not ever.  I have an illness, a lifelong illness.  (As if HIV isn't bad enough.  ;) ) I can't cure it, but I can control it."  It can't be overstated that I find Dr. Atkins' theory, which is nothing new for it was understood in the early nineteenth century, valid and probably most people actually follow it.  Actually, Hellraiser is following Atkins' advice and he probably does not know it.  Even Atkins' advised that after you have reached your goal weight, you can introduce foods to see how well your body can handle it.  As Hellraiser stated, he cheats on weekends, which means he found a way to introduce high carbohydrates into his diet without going outside his weight goal.  

It must be strongly stated that the Atkins’ Diet is not the “just eat meat” thing.  It is a way of eating without starving, to eat a lot without gaining fat or mass, to eat a lot and losing the fat or mass.  Moreover, to feel good about yourself and become slim while not blaming yourself, your parents, God, society, or whomever for your massive problem for to gain your weight goal is attainable without starving through counting calories.

His first book was good, but this one, which I go from the library, and kept it like a bible next to me is better.  It is more motivating and gentle in its’ persuasion to the reader to understand how to lose the fat through change of eating habits and not starve getting there.  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:43:46 am by red_Dragon888 »

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 04:55:39 am »
That is all fine and good if your physiology can handle the “calorie theory” of losing weight.  My physiology cannot and would drive me crazy if I try it that way and believe me, I have been living that philosophy and the result was a weight gain of 70 lbs.  That right, 70 ugly pounds.  Sorry, I do not know the metric equivalent.  Nevertheless, you are on the right track in which, for instance, to avoid sodas and cakes.  However, for me I have to avoid them completely until my goal is reached and I can introduce them slowly to see how my metabolism handles the intake.   

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 05:20:51 am »
i so want in on this. my girlfriends, fags and i have been obsessing over this for the last few weeks. then i had this skinny fabulous fag come and stay with me for a week.

i'm at my ideal weight but not at the right proportions. i'm like 5'9 and weigh 174. i've started watching what i eat and have taken up a crackhead diet (and i don't recommend it).

during summer my appetite usually skyrockets and it fucking sucks. i don't believe in starvation so i keep plenty of liquids around and a lot of light snacks. im a grazer and im trying to stay under 3000 calories a day. it's easy to eat upwards of 3,000 calories and i'm trying to stick between 2000-2500 depending upon my activities.

so, because of exhaustion and frustration and totally bad dieting habits this is what i do. take vitamins. drink a lot of water. take energy supplements (i like low carb monster - energy booster and appetite suppressant). i am also trying to nix my newly formed caffeine habit.

in addition to not eating any sweets or drinking any other flavored beverages i'm forcing myself to do moderate exercises in the house. got an iron man gym ($30) and do pull ups & dips multiple times a week. i do push ups and situps (absolute torture). eventually i'll make it back to the gym. until then, a lil something something around the house has increased my energy levels.

as for the monsters i still eat an hour or 2 after consumption (as with any energy product) to eliminate my crash. i've also stopped eating beyond saturation and keeping water around me constantly has helped stave off hunger for longer periods. i've also been jogging more and playing more. 

im sure this doesnt help. i would love to be a skinny concave bitch someday.

best,
d
I hear you girlfriend.  I am in the same boat, or at least I was.  If I get you right, you are probably having tiny meals, working out at the gym and finding yourself starving for that chocolate bar, (no pun intended), or that bag of chips to ward off that killing feeling stomach pangs.  I say to you read Atkins book, “Dr. Atkins’ Diet Revolution,” and follow his advice.  You should keep a dairy of what you are eating, and I do mean the good and the bad, just to observe your habits.  I for instance, use to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for breakfast with a soda.  Then snack on cakes or candy bars and have a chicken or turkey hero for lunch, which is a big sandwich for lunch.  After that, I would again snack on chocolate cakes or ice cream.  For dinner, I would have chicken with rice or potato and corn or something and desert on a large portion of pies, cakes or cookies.  Still throughout the day, I would drink sugar drinks to keep the hunger pang away.  However, yesterday for breakfast I had one jumbo egg omelet mixes with vegetables of garlic, green pepper, onion, squash, and tofu.  I had skipped lunch, which is easy for I do not have those hunger desirers and for dinner, I had chicken thigh without skin, with salad.  The salad was a bowl of iceberg lettuce mixed with water crest, onion, garlic, tofu with olive oil and black pepper.  Note there are no sodas or sugary drinks even if it is a health drink.  Sugar is sugar no matter if it is a health drink or not.  Now it was hard to get to this point and it is day 25, well if you count the first week that I really started but cheated, it’s day 30.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 05:31:57 am »
I hear you girlfriend.  I am in the same boat, or at least I was.  If I get you right, you are probably having tiny meals, working out at the gym and finding yourself starving for that chocolate bar, (no pun intended), or that bag of chips to ward off that killing feeling stomach pangs.  I say to you read Atkins book, “Dr. Atkins’ Diet Revolution,” and follow his advice.  You should keep a dairy of what you are eating, and I do mean the good and the bad, just to observe your habits.  I for instance, use to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for breakfast with a soda.  Then snack on cakes or candy bars and have a chicken or turkey hero for lunch, which is a big sandwich for lunch.  After that, I would again snack on chocolate cakes or ice cream.  For dinner, I would have chicken with rice or potato and corn or something and desert on a large portion of pies, cakes or cookies.  Still throughout the day, I would drink sugar drinks to keep the hunger pang away.  However, yesterday for breakfast I had one jumbo egg omelet mixes with vegetables of garlic, green pepper, onion, squash, and tofu.  I had skipped lunch, which is easy for I do not have those hunger desirers and for dinner, I had chicken thigh without skin, with salad.  The salad was a bowl of iceberg lettuce mixed with water crest, onion, garlic, tofu with olive oil and black pepper.  Note there are no sodas or sugary drinks even if it is a health drink.  Sugar is sugar no matter if it is a health drink or not.  Now it was hard to get to this point and it is day 25, well if you count the first week that I really started but cheated, it’s day 30.
My weighting at the doctor’s office was 230 lbs minus the clothes, but today I weight 205 lbs.  I assume most of the weight loss is water but I am fitting into shirts and pants that once were impossible to get into.  Oh yes, my height is 5’9” waist is 42” and is dropping gradually. I guess my waist was 46” but I did not measure it then. My ideal weight is 160 lbs, 30” waist and not sees the excess skin I have now.  I may reach 180 lbs, which looks good on me, by end of August.  Moreover, I may reach 160 lbs by end of October.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 04:21:32 am by red_Dragon888 »

Offline next2u

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 05:36:46 am »
I hear you girlfriend.  I am in the same boat, or at least I was.  If I get you right, you are probably having tiny meals, working out at the gym and finding yourself starving for that chocolate bar, (no pun intended), or that bag of chips to ward off that killing feeling stomach pangs.  I say to you read Atkins book, “Dr. Atkins’ Diet Revolution,” and follow his advice.  You should keep a dairy of what you are eating, and I do mean the good and the bad, just to observe your habits.  I for instance, use to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for breakfast with a soda.  Then snack on cakes or candy bars and have a chicken or turkey hero for lunch, which is a big sandwich for lunch.  After that, I would again snack on chocolate cakes or ice cream.  For dinner, I would have chicken with rice or potato and corn or something and desert on a large portion of pies, cakes or cookies.  Still throughout the day, I would drink sugar drinks to keep the hunger pang away.  However, yesterday for breakfast I had one jumbo egg omelet mixes with vegetables of garlic, green pepper, onion, squash, and tofu.  I had skipped lunch, which is easy for I do not have those hunger desirers and for dinner, I had chicken thigh without skin, with salad.  The salad was a bowl of iceberg lettuce mixed with water crest, onion, garlic, tofu with olive oil and black pepper.  Note there are no sodas or sugary drinks even if it is a health drink.  Sugar is sugar no matter if it is a health drink or not.  Now it was hard to get to this point and it is day 25, well if you count the first week that I really started but cheated, it’s day 30.

you're making me hungry. today's meal sounded excellent!
sept07 - tested poz
july15 - STRIBILD
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 05:40:20 am »
If you want to in a private thread I'll disclose height, weight and arm/waist measurements and we can update biweekly in order to bolster and support one another :D
Thanks.  I will consider it but nothing is private on the internet.  I am self motivating and I have made measurements already.  Sorry for the mistake before, but looking back at my collected data on June 2nd my waist was 42" and now it's 40".  My chest was 43" and now is 42".  The weight then was 213.  Now it is 205.  Pounds not stones....  :D

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 05:42:32 am »
remember it is the sugar that make one hungry and the more sugar you eat, or chips or any high carbs, the more you want to eat.  But read the book and see if you agree with his idea of how to get to your goal.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 05:44:44 am »
By the way, I drink Green Tea and never coffee or regular tea.  I just can't handle the caffine and the Green Tea gives me a full feeling.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 10:25:01 pm »
remember it is the sugar that make one hungry and the more sugar you eat, or chips or any high carbs, the more you want to eat.  But read the book and see if you agree with his idea of how to get to your goal.

Actually -- i think that it is a lack of food that makes you hungry.  Too much sugar may sap your energy but doesn't make you hungry -- it may make you want more, but it doesn't make you hungry.

I'm not a fan of Atkins -- i tried it once and when I had to not eat vegetables at a meal during his initial 2 week "blitz" (I forget the details of the requrirements at this point), I thought better of proceeding -- I mean I didn't get fat from eating vegetables!

I then joined Weight Watchers and watched 65 lbs disappear over 9 months.  Kept it off for 7 years too -- unfortunately a "chunk" of it found me again, so I've rejoined and lost 9.8 lbs in 3 weeks.  I can eat whatever I want -- just have to figure out the "points" of it.  If I want more points than I'm allowed -- I can go exercise and earn more (or just lose more weight).

If Atkins works for you -- go for it.  However, at the end of the day it is about calories in and calories burned and nothing else.

Mike

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 12:53:05 am »
I'm on a diet now.  I've gained weight over the last year.  I've cut out sweets.  I only eat fruit, dried fruit, and Light Activia Yogurt for something sweet.  Well, I still have a couple sodas.  I know I still need to cut those out.  I've been eating much smaller portions of food.  I put my food on a bread plate instead of regular plate.  When ya use a regular plate, ya think you need to put more food on it.  I'm drinking lots of water.  I've cut out fast food.  I did go to Texas Roadhouse tonight, but it is the weekend.  I think ya have to allow yourself something on the weekend.  I did eat more than I should have.   

In a week, I've lost 6 pounds.  We are going to Florida next month, so I want to lose about 20 pounds before then.  I know experts believe you should eat around 6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism up.  You should only eat until the hunger goes away and stop---don't eat until you feel all full and bloated.  Obvious, right?  My partner did the Atkins a few years ago and got all weird.  He became a bitch.  I think you need more carbs than it allows.  I think Atkins is only good if you need to lose weight really fast.  I don't think you can sustain that for months and months.   

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 04:26:34 am »
Actually -- i think that it is a lack of food that makes you hungry.  Too much sugar may sap your energy but doesn't make you hungry -- it may make you want more, but it doesn't make you hungry.

I'm not a fan of Atkins -- i tried it once and when I had to not eat vegetables at a meal during his initial 2 week "blitz" (I forget the details of the requrirements at this point), I thought better of proceeding -- I mean I didn't get fat from eating vegetables!

I then joined Weight Watchers and watched 65 lbs disappear over 9 months.  Kept it off for 7 years too -- unfortunately a "chunk" of it found me again, so I've rejoined and lost 9.8 lbs in 3 weeks.  I can eat whatever I want -- just have to figure out the "points" of it.  If I want more points than I'm allowed -- I can go exercise and earn more (or just lose more weight).

If Atkins works for you -- go for it.  However, at the end of the day it is about calories in and calories burned and nothing else.

Mike
Tell me more of your meal plan and which Atkins' Diet book did you follow?

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 05:03:24 am »
I'm on a diet now.  I've gained weight over the last year.  I've cut out sweets.  I only eat fruit, dried fruit, and Light Activia Yogurt for something sweet.  Well, I still have a couple sodas.  I know I still need to cut those out.  I've been eating much smaller portions of food.  I put my food on a bread plate instead of regular plate.  When ya use a regular plate, ya think you need to put more food on it.  I'm drinking lots of water.  I've cut out fast food.  I did go to Texas Roadhouse tonight, but it is the weekend.  I think ya have to allow yourself something on the weekend.  I did eat more than I should have.   

In a week, I've lost 6 pounds.  We are going to Florida next month, so I want to lose about 20 pounds before then.  I know experts believe you should eat around 6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism up.  You should only eat until the hunger goes away and stop---don't eat until you feel all full and bloated.  Obvious, right?  My partner did the Atkins a few years ago and got all weird.  He became a bitch.  I think you need more carbs than it allows.  I think Atkins is only good if you need to lose weight really fast.  I don't think you can sustain that for months and months.   
Well, sometimes when people mention Atkins’ Diet they think just meat and no veggies.    Actually, yes eat protein but eat veggies like salads of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers (ha you say cum) and radishes.   In addition, you can eat veggies of your choice from asparagus to zucchini squash.  Atkins’ Diet is more than that of course, for it is a study of how your body reacts to types of foods.  This is true especially if they are high in carbohydrates, aka sugar which includes fruits and dried fruits.  Your body is the science experience if you feel you are overweight and need to lose some pounds or mass.  I know that for me the first week was a killer.  I mean, I have a stash of big Dark Chocolates bars with macadamia nuts, which I adore, and thought since it is dark chocolate than that is a healthy treat.  Now I realize that the old way of eating was maintaining the 230 lbs of weight.  It has been 30 days since I put them away and I was sugar deprive but now I can handle the stress.  As a matter if fact, without the flux in sugar levels in my system, I lost the hunger pangs.  I did become a bit anxious but that is to be expected the first week.  My only fear is when I lose the weight I get scared.  I guess somewhere in the back of my head, weight lose means dead or dying.   Funny, the reverse of that is fat means happy and healthy.  Dam!  It has its tribulations.  Also, once you have reached your weight goal, Atkins advises you to gradually reintroduce the sugary foods or treats and see how your body reacts.  Then you can gauge how much you can handle without gaining too much weight.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 05:08:04 am »
In addition, exercise adds to your weight lost goal.  I just had a hour walk yesterday and I do have bar bells at home to do arm exercises.  I think, for me, walking is the best because it is low stress on my legs and not hard to do.   :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:13:42 am by red_Dragon888 »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 06:38:03 am »
Most of my excess weight is in my midsection.  If I could get that down, that would be great. I am 5ft 7" @ 172 lbs. If I could get down to 165 that would great also.

The VA, just put me on the " Cardiac Diet"  A few weeks back. Their more concerned about my BP and cholesterol, than weight.  This is basically a low sodium and higher fiber diet..  I was trying to see if the VA had this pamplet in a PDF form , on their website, but couldn't find it.

But to summarize:

I am to avoid these foods:

Salted crackers, salted chips, salted nuts, salted popcorn, instant hot cereal, canned spaghetti, and pasta dishes ( never would touch that stuff) , instant potatoes, rice mixes, and casserole mixes, pastries, crackers made with lard or shortening.

I am to avoid Olives, pickles, sauerkraut, Vegetable juice (V-8), frozen vegetables in sauce, pickle relish, ,  canned vegetables ( unless low sodium)

All fatty meats such as bacon, cured or smoked ham, smoked pork or fish,luncheon meats, deli meats, franklfurters,  canned meat,  frozen dinners, frozwen entrees, anchovies, and caviar ( like I can afford caviar  :o  )

Avoid:  American cheese, bleu, parmesan , Roquefort, processed or cream cheese.

Avoid:  Whole milk products, Ice cream ( this is tough   >:(   )    Chinese food, ( which I l love),  party dips, gravy mix,  Pizza, Mexican food, products with coconut oil, Palm oil, or palm kernel oil, commercial mixes for breads or desserts, canned or dried soups.

Then she has special notations written :

Drink Skim milk ( I already do that)

Limit egg yolks to 3 per week ( already started egg beaters- actually their good) One egg yolk is 200 mgs of cholesterol.

Eat more poultry ( without skin) and fish more often than red meats.

Broil, roast bake, and/or stew meats , poultry, fish.

Limit your fay servings to 5-8 teaspoons per day, or 45-70 grams of fat per day.

Eat many servings of fresh fruits, vegetables, dried beans, WHOLE GRAIN BREADS, and cereals .  Eat oatmeal, or oatbran often.

Read the labels more often ( I do that already) for sodium and fat content.

Eat cheese made with low fat milk or skim milk. ( already do that)

Eat fish more often, especially those containing Omega 3 oils ( Salmon, sardines, mackeral, herring, halibut, trout, and tuna.

Doo not use fish oil supplements unless under the guidance of your physician.

Other notes:

When buying whole grain or whole wheat breadsCheck the labels for the first three ingrediants.  Should have 2-4 grams of fiber per slice.

When buying dinners, make sure the sodium content is < 600mg, per box or serving.

I can eat Provalone, mozzella, and swiss cheese.

She also gave me a website to use.  She uses it a lot. Most of the website is free, but there is a pay portion, which I haven't had to use.

I am to be on 25 grams of fiber per day,  and beleive it or not,  this diet hasn't been that hard to keep.  I wasn't off too much, from what I was doing.

That website is:  www.calorieking.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to make foods tasty :

At first your food may not seem tasty, without salt.  However, using spices and herbs ( other than salt) can improve the following foods flavor:

Fruits:  allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemonjuice

Chicken: Garlic mushrooms, curry, sage, onion, paprika, parsley, tarragon pepper, wine,cranberries, poultry seasoning.

Fish: Bay leaf, marjoram, onion, mushrooms, dillweed, dry mustard, lemon juice, basil, curry, and pepper.

Pork:  Apples, garlic, onion, sage, pepper

Eggs:  Curry, tomato, basil, dryt mustard, onion, pepper

Beef:  Bay leaf,  dry mustard, sage, basil, , wine, onion, thyme, marjoram, nutmeg, pepper

Vegetables:  Lemon juice, onion, dill seed , nutmeg, basil, bay leaf, pepper, marjoram, green pepper,  garlic, Italian seasoning.

Note:  Marinate meats twice as long for spices to penetrate well , without the use of salt.

Anyway, that's what I am doing, and it's not too hard to follow.

There's more info she gave me for managing hypertension, and more on "What is Fiber"  , But it's too much for me to type up for now.

Ray
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:44:17 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 10:04:30 am »
This is true especially if they are high in carbohydrates, aka sugar which includes fruits and dried fruits. 

Any diet that tells me I should not eat fruit raises red flags. 

i don't subscribe to the theory that my body "reacts" to natural foods in a negative way....  doesn't make evolutionary sense.  Fruits, vegetables -- these are things we are supposed to eat -- meat too, we are omnivores.  however, if something works for others, I say go for it, but it seems a bit dangerous to me and I feel like there are things being delivered as "facts" that are nothing more than someone else's approach.

there are 2 things that cause my weight gain -- too much food in general and probably, more specifically, too much processed and fast food.  These are relatively easy to cut out.

At the end of the day, getting to a healthy weight is a good thing and if it's done safely and in a healthy manner -- do it.

Mike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 11:05:58 am »
Mike

I agree.  I'm diabetic, and fruit is more than welcome (and recommended by a diabetic nutritionist) in my diet.  I don't eat it in large quantities, and there's recommended intake (such as a cup of this or that).  But, there's a recommended intake for all foods.  Not good to eat fruit?  Nonsense.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 11:23:45 am »
The thing about the atkins diet (and why I call it a fad diet) is it advises you to drop all sugar completely in order to enter the state of keytosis.  Even naturally occuring sugars, which to me are good sugars.  I'm much more a fan of moderating your eating habits and not gorging on large quantities of calories.  At the same time however I snack on a lot of low-cal foods anyway.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 04:19:25 pm »

i don't subscribe to the theory that my body "reacts" to natural foods in a negative way....  doesn't make evolutionary sense.  Fruits, vegetables -- these are things we are supposed to eat -- meat too, we are omnivores.  however, if something works for others, I say go for it, but it seems a bit dangerous to me and I feel like there are things being delivered as "facts" that are nothing more than someone else's approach.

there are 2 things that cause my weight gain -- too much food in general and probably, more specifically, too much processed and fast food.  These are relatively easy to cut out.

At the end of the day, getting to a healthy weight is a good thing and if it's done safely and in a healthy manner -- do it.

Mike
I am saying to avoid fruit because it has sugar in it.  I am not saying that you have to avoid it forever.  You can reintroduce it to your diet once you have reached your weight goal.  Only then will you know what amount your body can handle with going over your weight goal.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2010, 04:26:43 pm »
I agree.  I'm diabetic, and fruit is more than welcome (and recommended by a diabetic nutritionist) in my diet.  I don't eat it in large quantities, and there's recommended intake (such as a cup of this or that).  But, there's a recommended intake for all foods.  Not good to eat fruit?  Nonsense.
so you are at your weight goal, not that Atkins is a good diet plan for you?

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2010, 04:34:37 pm »
The thing about the atkins diet (and why I call it a fad diet) is it advises you to drop all sugar completely in order to enter the state of keytosis.  Even naturally occuring sugars, which to me are good sugars.  I'm much more a fan of moderating your eating habits and not gorging on large quantities of calories.  At the same time however I snack on a lot of low-cal foods anyway.
Then if you are already at your weight goal then you have no problem.  Like I may have mentioned before, Atkins worked for me in the past and it seems to be working now.  If you have a problem with Atkins, then you have a problem with Atkins.  I hope to reach my weight limit by or near year-end.  If I reach it and of course I will have my health provider check on my physical condition, than great.  Anyway, it sounds and looks like you already reached your weight goal.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2010, 04:47:47 pm »
Most of my excess weight is in my midsection.  If I could get that down, that would be great. I am 5ft 7" @ 172 lbs. If I could get down to 165 that would great also.

The VA, just put me on the " Cardiac Diet"  A few weeks back. Their more concerned about my BP and cholesterol, than weight.  This is basically a low sodium and higher fiber diet..  I was trying to see if the VA had this pamplet in a PDF form , on their website, but couldn't find it.

Ray

Hi Ray,
I too worry about hypertension and sodium in my diet.  In fact, a few days ago I use to use a lot of salt in my cooking, until I took my blood pressure.  It was reading high, so I decided to cut out salt completely.  I even put the cheese I brought in the freezer to not tempt me.  I still have eggs for breakfast, but once it is finished I will switch to cottage cheese or some low sodium cheese.  Then for breakfast, I will have cottage cheese and a salad.  Once I get near my weight goal, I will switch to oatmeal and see if my metabolism can handle that.  In addition, your desire weight should be as follows.  At 5’7”, a small frame for men is 132 – 141 lbs.  For a medium frame, it is 142 – 156 lbs and for large frame, it is 151 – 170 lbs.  This is adapted from Metropolitan Life Insurance Co., 1959.  I think my range is 151 – 170 lbs.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2010, 04:53:06 pm »
On recommendation of a friend, I took a before pictures of my body.  I just waiting for the after.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2010, 07:46:37 pm »
so you are at your weight goal, not that Atkins is a good diet plan for you?

I don't do Atkins, but whatever works for you.  I obviously have some guides I have to follow being diabetic, so I rely pretty heavily on the word and direction of a diabetic nurtirionist. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2010, 01:20:01 am »
It really does have to be a lifestyle change.  We all know so many people who diet and deprive themselves to lose weight.  Some of them are able to lose a lot.  We probably have all seen these people gain all the weight back and then some.

I could get to my weight loss goal by next month and then start pigging out again and gain it all back.  I've already done this over the last 16 months.  I've lost 20 pounds and then gained it back.  I need to get back to exercising like I use to do.  If you are active enough, you should be able to enjoy the foods you like, because you're burning so much off.

There are people with good metabolisms like my dad.  He eats breakfast everyday--either bacon and eggs or sausage and eggs.  His cholesterol is good with no meds.  He barely drinks sodas though, so I think that says a lot.  However, he will eat a huge bowel of cereal at night and then ice cream on top of that.  Oh, he also drinks whole milk--tons of it.  I think he just has better genetics when it comes to weight.  I get mine from my mom I guess.  One more thing about him--- He is always hungry.  He has to eat something every couple hours.  So, I think eating those several small meals throughout the day help to keep his metabolism up.  I don't understand the sugary cereal and ice cream, though.  He stays so skinny.

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 03:58:07 am »
Hi Ray,
........ In addition, your desire weight should be as follows.  At 5’7”, a small frame for men is 132 – 141 lbs.  For a medium frame, it is 142 – 156 lbs and for large frame, it is 151 – 170 lbs.  This is adapted from Metropolitan Life Insurance Co., 1959.  I think my range is 151 – 170 lbs.

They forgot about those of us with big bones. My Dr states that I should weigh 200lbs. I'm now at 244...from 274...44 more to go....Taking sodium intake in consideration, (use No Salt and Mrs Dash) I eat what I want, just use a fork and spoon and small plate instead of a shovel and a platter....
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 05:19:38 am »
Hi Ray,
I too worry about hypertension and sodium in my diet.  In fact, a few days ago I use to use a lot of salt in my cooking, until I took my blood pressure.  It was reading high, so I decided to cut out salt completely.  I even put the cheese I brought in the freezer to not tempt me.  I still have eggs for breakfast, but once it is finished I will switch to cottage cheese or some low sodium cheese.  Then for breakfast, I will have cottage cheese and a salad.  Once I get near my weight goal, I will switch to oatmeal and see if my metabolism can handle that.  In addition, your desire weight should be as follows.  At 5’7”, a small frame for men is 132 – 141 lbs.  For a medium frame, it is 142 – 156 lbs and for large frame, it is 151 – 170 lbs.  This is adapted from Metropolitan Life Insurance Co., 1959.  I think my range is 151 – 170 lbs.

Sounds like a good plan.   I also was a little heavy on the salt.  I switched to a salt substitute, and the first thing she told me was to stop using the salt substitute.  Apparently, it's too high in Potassium, and can effect the blood pressure medication.  She highly recommended that "Mrs. Dash "  seasoning.

Try the eggbeaters too.  Their not bad at all, and either is the turkey-bacon for breakfast, along  with a couple slices of all-grain toast. It's hard to make a sandwich with the all grain bread,( too cardboardy) but for toast it's fine.

As far as my own weight, I've always had a very good solid build ( until the last few years) and my weight (for as long as I can remember ) was always 165-170 lbs .

Good luck, wishing you the best !!  

Ray
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 05:26:58 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 05:34:25 am »

Just wanted to add, the most my weight has ever been, was 183 lbs. And that was about 1 year after starting HAART.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 05:57:33 pm »
I don't do Atkins, but whatever works for you.  I obviously have some guides I have to follow being diabetic, so I rely pretty heavily on the word and direction of a diabetic nurtirionist. 
This isn’t the “Hurray for Atkins it’s the Best Diet Ever” Thread.  It’s the “Are You Dieting Now” thread asking what kind of diet are you on or do you have any advice to give to others.  I just happen to be on the Akins’ Diet and it is working for me.  In addition, I thoroughly read the book and I am applying its principles.  In addition, I do need to say this, get help with a medical professional before you venture into, aka, “Fad Diets,” or any diet.   

Further more, the Atkins book does mention about diabetics. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 06:03:38 pm »
Speaking of dieting, I just today went to Cracker Barrel for the very first time in my entire life.  I'd always purposely boycotted this establishment, but my parents decided that we had to have lunch there in Fred Vegas, aka Fredericksburg, VA, on the way back from Raleigh.  I'm not sure when else I've ever seen such a large room chock full of obese redneck crackers.

I ordered a plate of salt-cured ham, mac & cheese, cole slaw, biscuits along with a glass of raspberry lemonade and a slice of strawberry "ice box" pie.  Good thing I'm only 5 lbs overweight right now.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2010, 06:07:13 pm »

In a week, I've lost 6 pounds.  We are going to Florida next month, so I want to lose about 20 pounds before then. 

3-day meth binge followed by food poisoning will fit you into that Prada number.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 06:08:43 pm »

There are people with good metabolisms like my dad.  He eats breakfast everyday--either bacon and eggs or sausage and eggs.  His cholesterol is good with no meds.  He barely drinks sodas though, so I think that says a lot.  However, he will eat a huge bowel of cereal at night and then ice cream on top of that.  Oh, he also drinks whole milk--tons of it.  I think he just has better genetics when it comes to weight.  I get mine from my mom I guess.  One more thing about him--- He is always hungry.  He has to eat something every couple hours.  So, I think eating those several small meals throughout the day help to keep his metabolism up.  I don't understand the sugary cereal and ice cream, though.  He stays so skinny.
Your father metabolism is not good or better, it is just different.  I had the same problem with my bf.  We ate the same meals, dine on deserts and he would remain skinny while I gain pounds.  I also thought that it was simply the genes or his stomach or whatever.  In the end, his metabolism was processing food differently. He did not get fat or maybe produce fat cells, while my metabolism quickly turns the food into fat. I use to hate and blame myself.  There was a lot of self-pity at that time.  My waist size was 50 inches.  Imagine that…  The only equalizer was to work out like crazy and only then I could eat as he did.  That was running, weight lifting, and playing sports.  The only problem there was I would exercise in the early spring and summer but quit in the fall and winter.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 06:28:01 pm »

They forgot about those of us with big bones. My Dr states that I should weigh 200lbs. I'm now at 244...from 274...44 more to go....Taking sodium intake in consideration, (use No Salt and Mrs Dash) I eat what I want, just use a fork and spoon and small plate instead of a shovel and a platter....
I think not.  Your bones maybe bigger then small or medium frame, but it should fall within the large frame category. Your Doctor may have been trying to spear you stress or anxiety.  I could be wrong.  Here is a chart for a web page, which I will put on this tread.

http://www.nutrawize.com/nutribase/wtchartm.htm

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2010, 06:30:26 pm »
Speaking of dieting, I just today went to Cracker Barrel for the very first time in my entire life.  I'd always purposely boycotted this establishment, but my parents decided that we had to have lunch there in Fred Vegas, aka Fredericksburg, VA, on the way back from Raleigh.  I'm not sure when else I've ever seen such a large room chock full of obese redneck crackers.

I ordered a plate of salt-cured ham, mac & cheese, cole slaw, biscuits along with a glass of raspberry lemonade and a slice of strawberry "ice box" pie.  Good thing I'm only 5 lbs overweight right now.
Sorry sister, but you may find yourself 15 lbs overweight.   :D

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2010, 06:31:19 pm »
3-day meth binge followed by food poisoning will fit you into that Prada number.
lol  you're terrible.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2010, 06:33:52 pm »

What kind of exercise do you do?  Running, walking, weights?

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2010, 10:02:22 pm »

I was thinking that instead of big bone, you may have massive muscle. 

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2010, 12:17:20 am »

I'll have to try that regimen.  Does it come with a work-out DVD?

Offline next2u

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2010, 12:47:47 am »

i don't know about the meth binge but the food poisoning definitely worked for me :o

lol. i craved healthy food today. brocolli, chicken, soup. unfortunately it tasted really good so i wanted a lot of it. eventually (once i reached my satiation point) i just put the shit up. the longer it was in front of me the more i at. im still not hungry but damn my eyes are voracious! today's lesson - smaller portions and less tasty meals.

best,
d
sept07 - tested poz
july15 - STRIBILD
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.