Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 03:07:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 157
Total: 157

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "Right!" said Fred  (Read 5965 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
"Right!" said Fred
« on: August 17, 2007, 05:30:11 pm »
OK- I admit it:  I have not been paying very close attention to potential Republican candidate Fred Thompson.  I just got an eyeful reading through this piece at CNN.  He proposes a Constitutional Amendment against gay marriage and an overturning of Roe v. Wade.  And this from a guy who has made a living in the entertainment industry?  Huh??

A favorite quote from Fred:

“I don’t think that one state ought to be able to pass a law requiring gay marriage or allowing gay marriage and have another state be required to follow along,” Thompson told CNN’s John King in an interview Friday.

I so totally thought that sort of thing was called Full Faith and Credit or something. 

Wow.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

/edited because my link didn't take/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 05:32:45 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline dixieman

Re: "Right!" said Fred
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 05:33:54 pm »
Scary! views....

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 05:37:53 pm »
Having any concept of Constitutional law is hardly a requirement of office, Timberly.

Look at how W seems to have forgotten the amendment against unwarranted searches, and how he has shit all over Habeas Corpus and our long-term stand against torture (to say nothing of the Geneva Convention).

Fred is a moron. He'll never even declare, although I think the sideshow surrounding his trophy wife would be a gas.

Brent
(Who's an Obama man himself)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 05:51:11 pm »
Agreed the man is a joke.  Still, I can't help but get a shiver when I hear all the Constitutional Amendment stuff because I am well aware how that stuff can play out.  We got one passed here in Georgia already.  The big haired Baptist bunch swore up and down that there was nothing really against the gays, mind you.  They just wanted this one teeny tiny thing in the name of protecting marriage.  After that, they would go happily on their way.  The immediate next target:  gay adoptions.  The same choir came singing "how can we sanction adoptions by people who by definition can't be in legitimate relationships?"  (because we just busted our asses to make sure we stripped them of that).  "What kind of home would that be for the children?"

I'm still furious over W starting the amendment business last election time...just for that last push at the polls in case a code orange terror alert  wasn't enough or something.  And it flies up and down my spine when Guliani starts trying to back peddle on gay issues as well.  Hell, they all do it.  And I admit it is making it harder and harder for me to remain a focused and balanced voter.  I've got a shovel full of resentment and anger over this shit time and again in the political arena.  The right condemns us at the outset and the left most often mumbles support with a nudge and a wink...or a boat load of promises that get forgotten before all the confetti has even fallen at their victory parties.

I'm ranting.  Sorry.

But this queen is tired of being played as a pawn.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Dan J.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 06:03:33 pm »
I'm not surprised , he is from Tennessee after all.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 06:09:09 pm »
Agreed the man is a joke.  Still, I can't help but get a shiver when I hear all the Constitutional Amendment stuff because I am well aware how that stuff can play out.  We got one passed here in Georgia already.  The big haired Baptist bunch swore up and down that there was nothing really against the gays, mind you.  They just wanted this one teeny tiny thing in the name of protecting marriage.  After that, they would go happily on their way.  The immediate next target:  gay adoptions.  The same choir came singing "how can we sanction adoptions by people who by definition can't be in legitimate relationships?"  (because we just busted our asses to make sure we stripped them of that).  "What kind of home would that be for the children?"

I'm still furious over W starting the amendment business last election time...just for that last push at the polls in case a code orange terror alert  wasn't enough or something.  And it flies up and down my spine when Guliani starts trying to back peddle on gay issues as well.  Hell, they all do it.  And I admit it is making it harder and harder for me to remain a focused and balanced voter.  I've got a shovel full of resentment and anger over this shit time and again in the political arena.  The right condemns us at the outset and the left most often mumbles support with a nudge and a wink...or a boat load of promises that get forgotten before all the confetti has even fallen at their victory parties.

I'm ranting.  Sorry.

But this queen is tired of being played as a pawn.

I agree with you 100%. Are your elected officials aware of how you feel?

Brent
(Who is on more than one "watch" list)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 06:13:44 pm »
I too am tired of homosexuality, abortion and gun control being used as wedge issues when there are so many more pressing problems facing this country. I believe the morality card has been played one too many times.  But it is a fact that regardless of ones faith or non-faith, it is a factor in our elections.  With the country so evenly split everything must be done to get votes.  This time around I think some Democrats are doing a much better job of making headway into the evangelical and religious blocks, by not using wedge issues, but by talking about their faith and how it influences them in solving problems that really matter such as education, healthcare, infrastructure - issues that really make a difference in the daily lives of Americans.

Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 06:46:35 pm »
by "watch list" do you mean like notication lists...like aclu, hrc or the like?  if so, i'm on several of those.  where you get notified and offered the chance to add your name or send an email?  yeah.

and per woods' post...if this thread has any shelf life, i think that is the direction (or one direction) i would like it to take:  wedge issues and their effect on blurring the focus of the voting public.  on both sides- because i couldn't help but note myself when i wrote that it is making it harder for me to remain a balanced and focused voting citizen.  as in, things like gay rights might be intended to target more conservative segments of the population and get them voting based on knee-jerk reactions to these particular subjects while also keeping everyone's attention off of other more important issues, but they can also tend to have that effect on the liberal side as well.  things like this get gut level reactions from me as a backlash- i feel cornered by the threat.  in the end, it makes it harder for me to stay fair and objective across the board.

i hope i am making sense with this that i just wrote.  i'll level with you good folks:  i spent the night fucking and i'm beat, so it's hard to write things out properly.  apologies for all the rambling.   :-\

-Tim

(who just goes ahead and spills it all)

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 07:50:38 pm »
But have you seen his Trophy Wife?

She's 40, he's 65... she was 30 when they met

FAMILY VALUES!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 08:17:45 pm »
trophy wife?  Oh barf.  she looks more like the consolation prize.  No class whatsoever.

Now, about those rights you mentioned Brent.  Don't forget Separation of Powers.  Bush has manged to expand the power of the executive branch so he is accountable to no one.

The scary thing about all these abrogation of rights is that is not just Bush. He's set the precedent and I'll bet you dollars to donuts whoever is elected in 2008 will be very very reluctant to hand them back.  That's power and once you've acquired it, you don't give it back.  And I certainly include Hillery on this.  She might differ on policy but when it comes to power and grabbing on to it, she's as hungry as any Republican.   

That's the sad thing about Bush/Cheny et al.  They changed the executive branch for the worse and it is irretrievable.  They call it 'executive privilege.'  Yeah, right.

robert

(time for his effexor)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 01:42:23 am »
All I can say is DAMN......
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.