Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:37:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 219
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: please tell me if this is an HIV concern?  (Read 66629 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: please tell me if this is an HIV concern?
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2007, 07:48:55 am »
really,

You are more likely to walk out of your house today and find a winning multi-million dollar winning lottery ticket lying in the gutter than become infected through your encounter. Seriously.

Having said that, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline reallyextremlyworried

« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2007, 02:41:22 am »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  I just wanted to find out if marijuana causes late seroconversion?  What i mean to say is if you smoke marijuana everyday, does the 3 month window period apply or do you have to test out to 6 months?
thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2007, 02:47:46 am »
No you would not have lengthen the test window because of smoking pot.

« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2007, 03:01:39 am »
Thanks Rapid for the response.

Can anyone show me a picture of a torn/broke condom?  I can not find it anywhere on the web.  How would a tore/broken condom look like if you were holding the rim of the condom and dangling it so that the tip would be facing downwards??

thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2007, 04:36:42 am »
Use your imagination. I'm sure you've popped a balloon before.

« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2007, 06:49:14 am »
Thanks Rapid.

I know that a broken condom looks like a hula dress when you are holding the rimm and the tip of the condom facing  towards the sky.....then it droops like a hula skirt.

But what if your holding the rimm and the tip of the condom facing towards the floor?  It won't look like a hula dress/skirt anymore.  Would it not look like a normal intact condom?  if not then what would it resemble?

I guess what i would like to know is if a failed condom was dangled from the rimm and the tip facing the floor, would it be easy to distinguish that it is a failed condom or is it difficult to judge.

thanks again.

« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2007, 07:27:50 am »
Thanks Rapid.

I know that a broken condom looks like a hula dress when you are holding the rimm and the tip of the condom facing  towards the sky.....then it droops like a hula skirt.

But what if your holding the rimm and the tip of the condom facing towards the floor?  It won't look like a hula dress/skirt anymore.  Would it not look like a normal intact condom?  if not then what would it resemble?

I guess what i would like to know is if a failed condom was dangled from the rimm and the tip facing the floor, would it be easy to distinguish that it is a failed condom or is it difficult to judge.

thanks again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2007, 10:08:55 am »
really,

If your condom was broken or torn, you would have noticed it when you took it off. A broken condom is NOT subtle. It is VERY obvious.

I've yet to see someone who HAD NO RISK such as yourself go on to test positive after a six week negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2007, 10:21:17 am »
Wishglobe,

I deleted your reply to "really". Your information was totally incorrect and we do not allow incorrect information to stand on this website. If you have a hiv transmission or testing concern of your own, please start your own thread to discuss it. Otherwise, do not post in the threads of others in this (Am I Infected) forum.

Please read the Welcome Thread before posting again. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline wishglobe

« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2007, 02:05:01 am »
I would like to delete my reply here.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 03:56:07 am by wishglobe »

« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2007, 03:30:14 pm »
Hello Rapid, Ann, Andy, and everyone i've missed.

I took my 8 week test---> it was a rapid test and got the results in like 5 minutes.  It came out negative and I just wanted to let all of you know this.
Is that a good sign?
Again I had protected sex, unprotected oral ( i was insertive), and she rimmed me (unprotected)

any thoughts and opinions from any members would be much appreciated.

thank you

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2007, 03:58:24 pm »
You had no risk for HIV.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2007, 04:03:53 pm »
thanks Jkin

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2007, 07:14:27 pm »
"I took my 8 week test---> it was a rapid test and got the results in like 5 minutes.  It came out negative and I just wanted to let all of you know this. Is that a good sign?"

You're kidding, right? No, of course you're not. Anytime you test negative it's always a good sign. I know that and you do too. And you were never at risk to begin with so your testing negative is not a surprise to anyone.

Andy Velez

« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2007, 09:54:57 am »
Thanks Andy for your reply.  I do feel much better.  There is something i didn't mention because i thought maybe i'm overreacting or again worrying needlessly.  When I went to take the rapid test, blood was drawn from my right arm.  The thing was i saw a mark on the lady's glove just before she withdrew blood from me.  I don't know if it was a blood mark, but worries me is that after she took the syringe out of my arm she offered me the cotton to hold on my to the place where she just withdrew blood.  I took the cotton and starting wiping up and down the area where blood was leaking from my arm ( i did not just press down on the wound)...........i think that mark on the lady's glove had touched the area on my forearm where blood was withdrawn.  I don't know why i didn't say anything, but I just blocked it out of my head and was eager to find out the  rapid test result which was right infront me. 
What do you think? I am not even sure that mark was blood.
Has anyone been infected with HIV in this manner?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2007, 09:57:37 am »
Really, that's just more what if nonsense without even a smidgin of reality in HIV science.

You need to work on getting productively busy in your life with other things. You have way too much time on your hands. 
Andy Velez

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2007, 09:59:08 am »
NO!

Cmon.  You go to get TESTED and you think you got infected.  Enough of this please.

Even if it was the most virulent infectious strain of HIV ever seen on the planet earth you had NO risk of contracting it at all!  

I suggest you may need to seek the help of a mental health professional to help you.  It is way beyond our scope.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2007, 10:10:07 am »
sorry guys.  i don't know what to say to that, I hope i'm just making something out of nothing.
I apologize

« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2007, 09:26:44 am »
Sorry for going on about this......but if you could just help me out on this:

Even if this mark on her latex glove was blood, and it did touch my wound (where she withdrew blood), their is still no way of contracting HIV in that situation right?  My understanding is that it has to be blood to blood contact in a matter of milliseconds......not 10 seconds a part.  Am I making sense?

sorry for posting this but i have met someone I really like, and I do not want to tell her about all of this if i don't have too.

thanks everyone.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2007, 09:32:39 am »
reallyextremlyworried, you have been told over and over again. You weren't at risk. Seek help from a qualified mental health professional.

« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2007, 09:44:33 am »
Rapid I know.  But please can you just answer my post.  I have kept away for long and I intend to continue to stay away, but because I have met someone I just want some scientific logic on way I could not get infected via the latex glove with blood.

sorry Rapid, you've been so helpful to me.  Honestly I will not post again, and if I do then give me a time out, but I just need reasoning if or big IF that mark on the latex was blood and it touched my open wound but not right away....in a matter of 5 to 10 seconds then....is it possible to contract HIV in that way?

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2007, 10:16:44 am »
There is no scientific way possible you contracted HIV from what you have described!

It has NEVER (look up the definition of NEVER) EVER happened this way.  You wont be the first.

You need to seek the help of a mental health professional to help you with this.  Don't scare the new person away with unfounded fears.  Do yourself a favor, let this go.

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2007, 03:32:38 am »
Hi Everyone,

I took a 14 week HIV test from my last incident with a sex worker and it came out negative!  I took an HIV 1 & 2 Antibody test--->Axsym HIV Ag/Ab Combo Assay System

Is this the Elisa test?

Am all clear or is their another strain of HIV to test for in Africa?

I tested for HIV 1 and 2.

thank you all for your support.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2007, 03:34:44 am »
Really,

It doesn't matter what type of antibody test you had performed. You didn't have a risk for HIV in the first place so the negative result is conclusive.

You don't have HIV infection.

MtD

« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2007, 04:12:59 am »
thanks matty....i appreciate it.

so i'm guessing the test that i did is a legitimate elisa test.

thanks a million everyone.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2007, 08:25:29 am »
You're "guessing"?!!!??? 

Wouldn't it have occured to you to ask the source of your test about its legitimacy?

In any case, yes, you have reliably tested negative for HIV. Period. End of story.

Andy Velez

« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2007, 11:45:04 am »
Hi Aidsmeds experts,

I wanted to say thank you for helping me a long all my problems.  Thank you so much.  I do have a quick question I want to ask..........again the setting is Africa.  I went to get a hair cut today......and the lady was buzzing my neck with a clipper and she cut me.  I did not feel it bleeding but their was a burning red line where the clpper went over.  When I got home i put some perfume on it to disinfect the line cut, and it burned me like hell.  The place where i got the hair cut did not have a disinfectant holder where combs and brushes are normally put (like in N. America).  The clipper that she used on me was just lying on the table when I walked into the salon.  When I sat down I saw the clippers sitting on the table, and she picked that clipper up to clean my neck area.  That is when I felt a sharp pain when she used the clipper on the left side of my neck.  Again I do not know if it bled, but it was a sharp burning sensation.  And when i got home to inspect it.....I saw a brigt red line (the line shape of the clipper) which burned a lot. 
So my question is this:  Is this a HIV concern?
                                 I know those clippers were not disinfected.

I'm kind of freaking out and checking this red line cut on my neck in the mirror every 10 minutes.  Can I let this go or do i need to test for HIV?

thanks everyone

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2007, 12:39:59 pm »
You will not be infected with HIV by a hair clipper.

I should think that by now you'd understand the vectors for transmission. This is very much not one of them.

Brent
(Who needs a haircut himself)

Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2007, 12:42:41 pm »
Really,

Is this your one-year AIDSmeds anniversary post or what? Well guess what, I'm giving you an anniversary present - another Time Out.

You've been here for at least a year now and your first posting was one year ago today. If you haven't learned by now that you're not going to become infected with hiv while getting your haircut (unless you are simultaneously having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse) then there's not much more we can do for you here.

As this is your second time out, it will be for 56 days. Do not create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned from these forums.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Help, Maybe this is stupid!
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2007, 11:30:01 am »
Hey everyone,

Haven't been back for a while.  I just had something happened today, please let me know if their is anything to worry about in regards to HIV infection.

I went with a friend today at a clinic in Nairobi Kenya to get his HIV test done.  While waiting for him to finish I was reading a book.  As I waited I picked up a pen that was just recently used by one of the test administerer (health worker) and started writing in my bood a note at the back.  I put the pen in my mouth and on my lips while thinking about what I wanted to write.  I know so stupid.  I realized this after 3 minutes doing this, that I should take it out of my mouth immediately.  When I looked at the pen I noticed a lot of marks and dark spots other then the usual color of the pen on the parts that were in my mouth and on my lips.
I am thinking these marks are blood drops, dirts, or stains and blood stains but I can not be absolutely sure.  What if it was HIV infected blood and I put it directly in my mouth and on my lips?   Can HIV be transmitted this way?  Blood to mucuos member (mouth and lips) contact? Please anyone reply Andy, Ann?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2007, 11:48:04 am »
No, you were never at risk.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2007, 11:49:15 am »
I've merged your threads. Use this same thread and don't start any new ones.

You've been around the block here many times. So once again you're bringing up another incident with absolutely no basis in HIV science. You ought to know better at this point. Really.

There's nothing to discuss about HIV in this situation. HIV isn't your problem. But you do seem to have too much time on your hands.
Andy Velez

« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2007, 11:54:02 am »
Thanks Rapid and Thanks Andy for merging my thread, i forgot honestly. So no way no how?!  Phewww

I'm guessing the pen had to be dripping with HIV + blood for it to be a concern right?
I just remember seeing a lot of spots, orange/maroonish.....even if it was HIV blood (like one drop and not dried yet) and I put that in my mouth and on my lips--->would that cause for concern in regards to HIV infection??

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2007, 11:58:57 am »
Really,

Is this your one-year AIDSmeds anniversary post or what? Well guess what, I'm giving you an anniversary present - another Time Out.

You've been here for at least a year now and your first posting was one year ago today. If you haven't learned by now that you're not going to become infected with hiv while getting your haircut (unless you are simultaneously having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse) then there's not much more we can do for you here.

As this is your second time out, it will be for 56 days. Do not create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned from these forums.

Ann

Really,

I see you're back hot on the heels of your last time out. This isn't about hiv, it's about something much deeper where you're concerned. Please, for your own sake, see your doctor and ask for a therapy referral. We cannot help you with your extreme anxiety here.

You are right on the edge of a permanent time out from these forums.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2007, 12:04:40 pm »
Ann I am not here to pound crazy questions at you.  I know that you all are very busy and don't need me back here unless it's a legitimate query.  But Ann and Andy could you please just answer my last question on my last post please.  I just want to know scientifically and realistically how that could be plausible for HIV infection to occur.

Thanks Ann, I have not waited until my time out was finished.  I never needed aidsmeds in this timeout time, because nothing happened.  Hope you can believe me.

thank you

« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2007, 01:42:24 am »
Can anyone please answer that question?  If there was a drop of blood on that pen and that I put it into my mouth and on my lips, could I get HIV in this way?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2007, 05:12:03 am »
really,

Of course it's not a risk. You've already been told that.

You've reached the end of the line here mate. I'm sorry, but we just aren't equipped to help you with your needs. Please find yourself a mental health care professional to help you work through your extreme anxiety. We cannot do that for you here.

You have been warned and timed out and warned and timed out and warned again. This is it - you're now permanently banned.

Good luck getting the face-to-face help you need.

Remember to use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.