Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:33:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 332
Total: 334

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV And The Spleen  (Read 13461 times)

Offline tednlou2

HIV And The Spleen
« on: January 23, 2013, 02:02:50 am »
I am curious about how the virus affects the spleen.  I've talked about how I've had fatty liver disease.  It was mild, and then a scan in September showed it was significantly worse.  It was confusing, because it had only been 6 months between the scans, and I had purposely lost 20 pounds.  After issues with getting info from the gastro doc, I was finally told the way the ultrasound was performed could affect the results.  I was told it may have been focused on a particularly fatty area, and there wasn't really a change at all.  They said the same about the increase in liver size.  I was told it isn't an exact science, and the increase may not be real.  They also said losing weight could actually make things worse, but usually losing several pounds in a very short time.

During examinations for liver issues, I was told my spleen was a little enlarged as well.  They said liver issues can cause this, but the virus can, too.  For the last week, I've now been feeling pain and fullness under my left ribs.  It very similar to the pain I've had under my right ribs.  When I push in, I can feel something.  It feels like my spleen.  Or, what I would imagine is my spleen.  And, it hurts more when I push on it.  I realize our bowels are there.  I've also been having itchiness.  It isn't the scratch until you bleed itch.  It more like when you've had a sunburn, and your skin is beginning to peel.  And, it usually happens at night.  It is winter, but you'd think it would happen all day. 

As everyone knows, I've complained of very large, bulky stools.  But, that has changed in recent weeks.  They are mushy and fatty looking--sticking to the side of the bowl.  I actually had a HIDA scan yesterday.  I got a call today that my gallbladder is fine.  As is always the case, I could not talk to a doc.  They've run so many liver-specific blood labs, and everything is normal.  My liver doesn't show any scarring. 

Anyway, I am curious how HIV affects the spleen.  Is spleen enlargement fairly common, especially in the absence of meds?  Or, would you think this has more to do with the liver issues?  I know the spleen is like a big lymph node.  Is it often something that is no big deal, or can get really bad?  I get PMs from time to time, asking me how I am doing and when I am going to start meds.  I can say I have thought more in the last few months than ever.  I think my body is telling me something.  My next appt with the gastro doc isn't until early March.  I am not sure whether this is a gastro doc or HIV doc issue. 

Offline weasel

Re: HIV And The Spleen
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:08:30 pm »

Hi   tednlou2  ,

I hope your spleen is fine  .

I have had HIV  / AIDS  for many many years and never had spleen issues .

I did have fatty liver issues but when I was switched from Reyetaz to Prezista <sp>  I have found all issues to return  to normal  :)

Weasel
" Live and let Live "

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 08:44:06 pm »
I've never experienced spleen issues either even after 20 years of meds.  I had typical liver issues in the beginning but that has all corrected itself.  Wish I had some good advice but I don't recall hearing many complain about this specific issue.

Take care and best wishes.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 09:03:35 pm »
I've never experienced spleen issues either even after 20 years of meds.  I had typical liver issues in the beginning but that has all corrected itself.  Wish I had some good advice but I don't recall hearing many complain about this specific issue.

Take care and best wishes.

Wolfie

Hi   tednlou2  ,

I hope your spleen is fine  .

I have had HIV  / AIDS  for many many years and never had spleen issues .

I did have fatty liver issues but when I was switched from Reyetaz to Prezista <sp>  I have found all issues to return  to normal  :)

Weasel

All three of you mentioned that you had liver issues.  I myself also had the fatty liver issue and that is actually how I ended up being diagnosed with HIV.  My liver tests were off and after trying to find out why test after test, I got the HIV result.  Not to say this is statistical, but seems to me like HIV doesnt get along with the liver.  I've never been told that there was anything wrong with my spleen.  But seeing as its involved with the immune system, it seems reasonable that it could be affected.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 01:38:59 am »
All three of you mentioned that you had liver issues.  I myself also had the fatty liver issue and that is actually how I ended up being diagnosed with HIV.  My liver tests were off and after trying to find out why test after test, I got the HIV result.  Not to say this is statistical, but seems to me like HIV doesnt get along with the liver.  I've never been told that there was anything wrong with my spleen.  But seeing as its involved with the immune system, it seems reasonable that it could be affected.

My gastro doc said fatty liver seems more common in poz folks, because of the metabolic changes that happen.  And, some HIV meds can be culprits.  Plus, many people have it now, due to being overweight.  I have gained weight, due to depression.  I use to weigh about 185-190 at 6 feet.  I will just say I am over 200 now.  BMI charts would say I am overweight, for sure.  Hell, I think anything over 210 at 6ft is considered obese.  He was saying they really didn't know much about fatty liver, until the last ten years.  I think this was mainly about non-alcoholic fatty liver. 

I had my doc family member check it out.  He felt what I was feeling.  However, he said it could very easily be a stuck turd.  His words.  Very scientific.  I do not have daily bowel movements--usually every couple days and sometimes three days.  I need more fiber in my life.  His suggestion was to wait and see if a bowel movement changes things.  If not, have it checked. 

Anyway, thanks for the replies. 

Offline Tadeys

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 09:29:45 am »
Perhaps the following video will answer your question on the Spleen/HIV connection.

Offline Tadeys

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 09:30:07 am »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.