Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:49:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 598
Total: 598

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HAND..anyone else??  (Read 6286 times)

Offline undeniable

HAND..anyone else??
« on: January 09, 2016, 04:59:01 pm »
I was diagnosed with hiv affected neurological disorder about 3 years ago.  Anyone else deal with this?  Between that and greatly impaired short term memory from brain damage left by meningitis  I get sooo frustrated. 

It's really really trashing my relationship with my girl.  She is aspergers and remembers everthing and wants everything to be logical exact..  I'm so tired of arguing about things I dont even remember.  :-[ :'(

Some days I just want to walk out into the world and be forgotten. 
It's been so long since I've had the freedom to just be.

Speaking my peace to the past
I can't help but wonder, who is this wind at my back
A whisper to walk on, come on from all that

Undeniable by MAT KEARNEY

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: HAND..anyone else??
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 07:02:08 am »
Undeniable,
HAND stands for HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder (not trying to be a smart ass), and yes!!!  I have been dealing with this for the past couple/few years.  It's incredibly frustrating and a lot of people don't understand.  I just turned 50 and some people tell me the reason I can't remember anything is my age. But it's not because the things I forget should not be forgotten. 

I've learned to be very self forgiving. I was getting so frustrated with myself I made it hard to be able to have self respect.  But then I thought "why am I doing this?"  It's something I can't help, something I can't change, so I needed to just let things go when I can't remember.

I'm aware of Aspberger's. I work with developmentally delayed adults. Your girlfriend needs to understand your issues, it's only fair.  You seem to be okay with hers, she needs to reciprocate. If she doesn't I would seriously think about ending the relationship. You don't need anything else on your plate, especially someone who won't understand what you're going through.

Thanks for bringing this up.  I'm sure you'll hear more.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 08:00:43 pm »
I'm assuming you had cryptococcal meningitis?  This disease swells the brain and spinal cord and leaves some people with permanent damage.  I was diagnosed with HAND after developing meningitis.

That illness left me blind for a while and almost deaf due to the extremeness of the illness.  I regained a lot, but am left with many residual issues including memory loss, confusion and frustration.

My advice is to acknowledge it without dwelling on it.  Once all medical options are explored, you might have to accept the challenges.  I've learned to laugh at myself over these episodes. 

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 03:38:35 am »
The above is why this forum is so important for me. Betty & Greg you continue to surprise me , often leaving me humbled .

And  Miss Able your friend I imagine shouts loud if she feels she is being treated differently so tell her to fuck off and learn some more social skills about friends who have problems they can do little about. You get some rest dear heart and just BE maybe give your self permission to at least take a well earned holiday from your friend .

I have no doubt you will sort this out undeniable , all the best
Michael
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 06:06:58 am »
I probably should have mentioned that about 15 years ago I was in a coma for a couple weeks.  I flat-lined when the doctor attempted to do an MRI of my brain and was clinically dead for about 4 minutes.  My memory, trying to think of a word I know that I want to say, sometimes trying to figure things out, etc. has never been the same.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline undeniable

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 10:50:51 am »
omg...  I seriously should have clarified...  'girl' is my 14 yr old daughter! lol  But I have told her to basically 'fuck off' a few times.  She is tough to deal with.  But then she is 14 so I guess that comes with the territory.

On the 'HAND' thanks for the clarification on that.  I was diagnosed after having cryptococcal meningitis too but I think I had it before.  I think it was why my job performance tanked in the year or so before and I had a hard time remembering my meds / appointments etc.  Maybe it was after the pcp pneumonia?  Anywho...

and wow!  a coma??  my hubby would freak.  Glad you all pulled through and are here.  I just feel and send love and peace to all of you.

Michelle
Speaking my peace to the past
I can't help but wonder, who is this wind at my back
A whisper to walk on, come on from all that

Undeniable by MAT KEARNEY

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 08:55:29 pm »
I was diagnosed with hiv affected neurological disorder about 3 years ago.  Anyone else deal with this? 

Hi there!,...

Yes, I am  dealing with this.  I was tested back in May of 2014.  I guess the good news is, that I don't believe, there has been any noticeable decline, since those tests were done. I will probably get tested again later this year.

I just try to take things slowly and try to stay a little more focused and relaxed ( if that is possible ). I used to be such a multitasker,  but have cut back on that. For me the best ways to deal with this is to take things slow.  But, remembering short term events ( Like A few hours earlier) can sometimes be s little tricky.  Remembering something from 55 years ago, not a problem !

I reported the results of my tests, here on the site back in June of 2014.

You can read up read if you like, but the page numbers are out or order  :)

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=54084.0

EDITED TO ADD: I was never diagnosed with meningitis

Take care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline harleymc

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 01:23:07 am »
My HAND is somewhat different, it mainly affects my motor control. My hand/eye co-ordination is in the worst 2% for my age.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 02:55:41 pm »
This is one thing I have NOT had to deal with!   I know how frustrating it is for Betty, and I am sure you are experiencing much of the same.

I do have some memory loss, and do different 'tricks' to help out; lots of post-it notes, and leaving things out so that I am FORCED to not forget them (like laying it on my wallet or car keys).

Best wishes with your daughter; hopefully as she matures she will have a deeper understanding of what you are dealing with Michelle.

HUGS, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.