Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:37:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 485
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 480
Total: 480

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: both positive....we want a baby  (Read 8501 times)

Offline scottish

both positive....we want a baby
« on: September 25, 2010, 08:13:50 am »
hey everyone..i am new to this forum and have got so much information from you all...myself and my husband are positive longterm survivors ....10 yrs ago we wanted to have a baby but were told we should not be so irresponsible as we had probably 10yrs left . now we are in no more trouble than before ...meds are good to us...we are both high cd4..my husband undetectable and im allways close........reading your forums i am so jealous so many of you have had children and healthy ones at that...thing is i'm 43 this year and feel its our last chance ...NOW OR NEVER...i was petrified to have a child before as i was sure with my luck my kid would be poz......and i couldnt live with that....
now they are talking about sperm washing  and artifitial insemination then a cesarean...thing is will cost us thousands.....what is the risk if we get pregnant naturally and then have cesarean??? am i too old for all this??

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: both positive....we want a baby
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 08:53:36 am »
Hi Scottish, welcome to the forums.

As you and your partner are both poz, you don't need sperm washing or any of that fancy stuff. Sperm washing is for when the woman is neg and the man is poz - it's to keep her neg, not the baby. Same thing for artificial insemination.

And they only do c-sections now days if the mother's viral load isn't undetectable about a month before birth. As you've been on meds and undetectable for years, this isn't going to be a problem for you.

All you have to do is make sure that you are on a combo that will not harm the baby. That's it! You are both poz, you're both undetectable, so you have no worries about condoms.

An excellent resource for hiv and pregnancy can be found here:

http://i-base.info/guides/pregnancy

We also have information in the Lessons here:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Pregnancy_4900.shtml

Good luck!

Ann

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:55:58 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scottish

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 10:47:08 am »
my meds are retonavir, abacavir , tenofavir and atazanavir are these ok for conceiving??

Offline whoknew

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 10:59:17 am »
yup I can testify that there is no sperm washing involved if you are both positive just work out your dates possibly chart your mentral cycle and off you go enjoy the trying in the good old fashioned way :) :) I "think" its only medications containing sustiva that are not ok for pregnancy but prob best to check with your drs.

goodluck to you and your partner I wish you all the luck

Love Who xx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 12:49:50 pm »
my meds are retonavir, abacavir , tenofavir and atazanavir are these ok for conceiving??

Did you not read the pregnancy guides I linked you to above? Meds are discussed in both.

http://i-base.info/guides/pregnancy/which-drugs

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Pregnancy_4907.shtml

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scottish

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 04:39:48 am »
thanx for info...ann...i couldnt get links to open...i have a deadly slow connection that some days is really bad others just workable...but importantly got the info now.................two of my meds are abit risky it seems ...so will need to change combination first. not taking risks ......with my luck !!!! so thanx again ann you have been fab .xx ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 06:55:52 am »
Nothing worse than a slow internet connection (except for no internet connection, that is!).

It probably would be best to get onto one of the recommended combos, one that's tried and tested. You can always switch back to your current combo after the birth.

Good luck and happy baby making! ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline babydreams

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 09:48:28 am »
Scottish Hello
If u are in the UK, Chelsea and westminster hosp will help us with infectious cycles. There are hoops 2 go through if u need funding let me know. Goodluck

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 10:07:45 am »
Hi Scottish,
  Congratulations on your decision to have children.  I am 36 and me and my dh are both poz.  We are expecting our first child together in February.  I can tell you from experience that since you and your hubby are undetectable, HIV transmission will be the LEAST of your worries.  I am planning for a natural birth and there have been no complications so far.  My prenatal care has been exactly the same as any other woman who is HIV negative.  

The main concern the doctors are going to have are going to be due to age because of the increased risk of birth defects and other complications.  Because I am over 35, I have to have ultrasounds every month and extra screenings to monitor for complications and potential birth defects.  This has been far, far more stressful than the concerns about HIV.

So the good news is that of all the potential problems that can occur with a pregnancy, HIV is probably one of the easiest things to manage.  The bad news is that the problems that can come with age are much more serious, stressful, and harder to treat.  That's true for HIV negative women as well.  However, many women your age conceive at your age so you are definitely not too old.  It's also not uncommon for fertility clinics to see couples with HIV.  If you have the money to pay them, they will not care about your status--TRUST.

One piece of advice I would give you is to make sure you find a doctor who is up to date on the latest information on HIV because a surprising number of them aren't.  If you have a doctor that tells you that you have to have a C-Section to prevent HIV infection to the child, or won't give you the option of an amnio because of risks of transmission, then you need to RUN.  That doc is working off of very outdated information and you don't want to be in the position where you are having to educate your doctor.  Your ID doc will probably have lots of good recommendations.  It's better to take care of this before you get pregnant.

Also, definitely meet with your ID to go over the best medications to take to prevent birth defects to your child.  It's best to switch your meds now since the fetus is most vulnerable to birth defects during the first trimester and you preferably want to get anything unsafe out of your system before then.

Good luck!!!!
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Offline pozlilmama

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 03:20:12 pm »
Hey Ann I know how you feel about wanting to have a baby.  I was diagnosed one year after my first child and thought my new mommy days were over.  I did meet another man that was positive and we have a healthy 5 month old as of Saturday.  As long as you have been taking care of yourself and you do the same during the pregnancy the baby will be ok.  They will test the baby three times to make sure they are ok.  Most importantly check your meds with your doctor and know that with age factors you are considered a high risk pregnancy anyway.

Offline gymnut

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 11:09:19 pm »
refer to my posts.... it might help......
Eric
renee.lloyd@yahoo.com

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 11:37:11 am »
refer to my posts.... it might help......
Eric
renee.lloyd@yahoo.com

Eric, I realise that you meant well, but this forum is strictly for women ONLY. Please read the Welcome threads that appear at the top of some of the various sub-forums index page before posting in them. Please do not post in the Women's forum again.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.