Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:29:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 350
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lipid Panel Experts, please  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Lipid Panel Experts, please
« on: April 13, 2008, 01:13:50 pm »
So, lots of folks here seem to have elevated lipids, the curse of PI's I suppose.  This has always been the one area of my lab work that falls outside the acceptable numbers, yet my doctors have never seem to worked up about it beyond recently having me take fish oil supplements.  Here are my numbers -- is it something with them where they're actually not too off the charts?  For those of you that have had to take actual prescriptions for this stuff what were your numbers like?  I just have no context for this subject, oddly.

(from my last labs, 12/07)

LIPID PANEL
Cholesterol, Total 179 mg/dL (this is within range)
Triglycerides           269 mg/dL (this is 100 over the top limit)
HDL Cholesterol    34 mg/dL   (this is 6 mg too low)
VLDL Cholesterol  54 mg/dL  (this is 14 mg too high)
LDL Cholesterol    91 mg/dL  (this is within range)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
Re: Lipid Panel Experts, please
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 05:22:17 pm »
My Tri's were 169.  Thoughts?
Jan 08       321/23%  VL 92,000 (very mild shingles)
Feb 1 08    Start Truvada+Viramune
March 08    470/33%  VL 320
mid-May     Start Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada
June 08      571/ 40%     VL   80
August 08   585/ 33%     VL >50
Nov  Lab error!!!!!!!!wah.
Jan 09        535      Undetectable
March 11     756

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 11:57:29 pm »
Jan/08
total cholesterol  409
HDl     19
Tris    2800

They have been higher/worse as I am super sensitive to PI's. I'm going in next week to do my labs again. Hopefully they will be significantly lower.
Hopefully you'll be able to improve them without adding meds.

take care,
Sharkie

Offline Lis

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:27:45 am »
your  #'s are really pretty good...  congrats!!!

I  know that the lab I worked for (LAB CORP) changed their ranges to suit a big pharma ... No worries sweet pea...

follow the Atkins thing for a few weeks and your #'s will change like you cant believe..

lis
poz 1986....

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:12:43 pm »
Hey Philly,

Your cholesterol results are not all that bad.  Yeah, you'd love to see a higher HDL, but all in all, OK.  My chol was over 350 and my LDL well over 200 (hdl was under 30, I think) when I started about 13 yrs ago.  I can't blame mine in meds -- I was neg then.  Your trigs are high, but I can't remember much about trigs -- been trying to find my old school books -- can't track 'em down, but I'll keep looking.  Althought I do know that mine were high back then too -- 300s I believe.
With meds my chol is always great and my HDL has gone up toward 60 since the Atripla (I forget if it's the Sustiva or tenofovir that raises HDL).
So, probably not much help from me -- I don't think that this set of lab results would send to statins though.

Mike

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 10:16:06 pm »
your  #'s are really pretty good...  congrats!!!

I  know that the lab I worked for (LAB CORP) changed their ranges to suit a big pharma ... No worries sweet pea...

follow the Atkins thing for a few weeks and your #'s will change like you cant believe..

lis

argh ...watch the kidneys

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 10:52:46 pm »
Your trigs are high, but I can't remember much about trigs -- been trying to find my old school books -- can't track 'em down, but I'll keep looking.  Althought I do know that mine were high back then too -- 300s I believe.

Well, I guess if I burned more calories that would help.  I'm also only 10 lbs overweight, and after having had 2 wasting episodes in the past 7 years I think my doctor prefers me at my current weight to be on the safe side.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/tc/high-triglycerides-overview

Otherwise I'm not a drinker, so it's not that.  Oh, they list that diuretics can raise this -- I'm on that for blood pressure so there you go.

But they also mention metabolic syndrome, and since I've had lipo for 10 years I wonder if that's somewhat connected.

Anyway, read this:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Lipodystrophy/Archive/Cholesterol/Q4000.html

Compared to this guy mine don't even begin to approach scary territory.

The omega 3 fish oil is supposed to help reduce this number.  I've only been taking 1000mg/day so I've started doubling it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:54:24 pm by philly267 »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 12:44:34 am »
Well, Philly,

My triglycerides have been as high as - 332  (Range should be 30 to 200)

My HDL cholesterol has been as low as 17  (Range should be 32 to 96)

My LDL and VLDL cholesterol have been pretty good, sometimes a little high., but not by much.

Its those darn triglycerides.

My last test, done Feb. 19, they had dropped to 261. but that's still not within the range they want it at.

SIGH.

I take Zetia, Pravastatin and 6,000 milligrams of fish oil a day, by the way.

HUGS,

Mark

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 12:47:04 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.