Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:10:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 594
Total: 594

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Unusal dental problem  (Read 3579 times)

Offline BM

Unusal dental problem
« on: November 27, 2010, 03:30:07 pm »
On Wednesday night I noticed my teeth weren't sitting properly, as though my jaw was too far forward. The next day one of my top molars became painfully sensitive to heat (which was strangely relieved by cold). I visited my dentist on Friday and was told I might need a root canal (no thanks!) but she wanted to try something else involving a special coating first, in case it was a simple matter of sensitivity (I forgot to mention the jaw thing).

Since this morning, my jaw has moved further forward and a second tooth has become painful, presumably through forces exerted by teeth that don't normally touch it. I can't properly chew or bite and I'm in agony. Paracetamol, dihydrocodeine and diclofenac aren't really touching it. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing? What happened?

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: Unusal dental problem
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 03:38:30 pm »
Very strange. I've heard of TMJ displacing the jaw, but over many years, not hours.

I'm sure you would have mentioned this but have you had an injury to the face recently?

I think it's time for a trip to the Minor emergency or ER tonight, especially since you are in so much pain.

-WIll
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Nextdoor_guy

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 03:46:15 pm »
hey buddy. Had kinda same problems with my teeth.
Fucking pains specially on the lower part and taking  the ear and half of the head too. And cold water is making it supportable. tried with some hot tea and almost fainted cuz of the pain.
and of course these days only ate soups, yogurts and soft stuff.

am on pain killers too. mixing ibuprofen with diclofenac and can manage the pain.
will go monday to see what the hell is going on.
There's too much confusion.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 04:54:51 pm »

BM, how old are you? I ask because maybe your wisdom teeth are trying to come through. When mine started coming through they started pretty quickly and caused me a lot of pain because they were impacted. Impacted just means there isn't enough room in your jaw and they're caught under your back molars. And yes, it made my molars hurt. Don't remember my jaw feeling pushed forward though.... ??? Wisdom teeth usually come through in the late teens, or early to mid-twenties.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 08:41:11 pm »

Since this morning, my jaw has moved further forward and a second tooth has become painful, presumably through forces exerted by teeth that don't normally touch it.

I was wondering the same thing as Ann was...  If this could be a result of your wisdom teeth coming in.  I had mine pulled out in the mid 30's. And,  it was quite painful for me too. My wisdom teeth were also a bugger to have removed. ( at least one of them was) Seems though, that a dentist should be aware of the wisdom teeth coming in, and something that should be noticed

Anyway BM, hope your looking into this and feeling better.  Let us know, whats going on.

Ray
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:00:58 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 09:00:21 pm »
Also,  Being diagnosed with TMJ years ago, It doesn't quite sound like TMJ either.

http://www.essortment.com/all/whatistmj_rgfs.htm

TMJ was quite painful, and would actually not permit me to open my mouth at times.  The jaw, almost became locked, and any kind of mouth movement was a killer,... and cold ( ICE ) applied on the outside of face, just below the ear, did help to relieve the issue. But, It wasn't affecting the teeth, or making them sensitive.  I also had no more problems with TMJ, after starting on HAART in 2003.  How strange is that?  ??? These issues with TMJ at the time, would come and go, and would also cause quite a lot swelling.  Almost looked like a golf ball hanging off the side of my face, right near where the jaw hinges.  Anyway, don't want to sidetrack...

Ray
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:03:53 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BM

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 09:06:07 am »
Thanks guys. I'm just back from the Dental Hospital, where they started a root canal treatment. Not the most fun way to spend your Sunday afternoon, but at least I have relief.

I'm 31. I have three of my wisdom teeth; the side I'm having problems with has had a wisdom tooth since I was 19 (top and bottom). The dentist says the jaw problem is maybe due to my reluctance to bite down: this can cause the jaw muscles to spasm, causing displacement.

Offline BM

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 12:43:42 pm »
Nextdoor_guy: I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my dentist said toothache that's aggravated by heat and soothed by cold means the tooth is starting to die and will either need to be removed or have a root canal treatment. Do you have a (deep) filling in the tooth that's painful?

Offline BM

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 12:37:40 pm »
The dentist says my jaw problem is due to long-term bruxism and I've to get a gum shield. I don't know if this will stop my jaw pain/displacement or if it's just to protect my teeth.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 03:21:47 pm »
The dentist says my jaw problem is due to long-term bruxism and I've to get a gum shield. I don't know if this will stop my jaw pain/displacement or if it's just to protect my teeth.

It should do both. My ex has a shield that he wears at night that is supposed to do both and yours is probably the same. Good luck with it, hope it helps and your pain stops.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.