Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:52:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 447
Total: 448

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Needing Gift Ideas...  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Basquo

Needing Gift Ideas...
« on: December 01, 2013, 09:16:58 pm »
My dad is notoriously hard to shop for. Not that he's not pleased by any gift, but he has everything he wants or needs, has plenty of money to by whatever else...I'm just out of ideas.

He lives out in the country and commutes 35 miles to teach vet medicine at university several days a week. He travels out of state probably 4-5 times a years, sometimes driving, and goes on a cruise once a year. He likes his wine and he likes to cook simple country-type food. He doesn't like TV or movies, but he still reads quite a bit. He is active in his church and the Knights of Columbus.

Any ideas in the $50-100 range? I had a star named after him for his last birthday, so that one's used up.

Thanks!

Offline Jmarksto

Re: Needing Gift Ideas...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 09:35:11 pm »
Basquo;  Our family is also very hard to shop for and we are trying to reduce possessions rather than accumulate them -- we have committed to giving experiences rather than things.  This would include things like tickets to a show (theater, symphony, etc.), dinner out at a restaurant, a massage, etc.  Perhaps something like a cooking class or wine tasting class?  Also, I think a subscription to a magazine counts as an experience.

Best, JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:44:58 pm »
If he likes wine you could get him a wine gift basket.  Someone gave us one last year and we liked it a lot, was a basket with like 10 different bottles of wine to try.  Was pretty cool.

There's a few website you can order a gift box online a have it shipped.
Virgin wines.com
Wine basket.com
I'm sure there more.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 11:52:58 pm »
Since he commutes so much and likes to read you might want to consider audio books. If he has a smartphone you could give him credits to Audible.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 06:16:56 am »
Church part----Christian Aid web site allows you to buy say a goat for a family , or 3 laying chickens , I bought a football for kids in Afghanistan , a few years ago.

If he ignores luxury for himself a Cashmire Scarf.

Do something with him , a shared experience .

A print out off this thread and he gets to choose.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Basquo

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 10:17:07 pm »
All great ideas! He definitely would like a wine basket. I gave him 25-year-old rum one year but I think my step-mom drank it. I'm not sure if he listens to audio books but I can ask her. He used to listen to lots of music and CDs were good gifts but now he normally listens to satellite stations in the background.  I have thought about a charitable gift in his name...you can gift bee hives, rabbits and all kinds of randy animals. He did some animal husbandry work in Central America years ago so he might just appreciate me doing something like that for one of the countries down there. I can't afford to gift a cow down there but come to think of it, I could give him an actual cow and he would have room for it. If I had $1000 I could give him a pair of zebras. They grow here.

Offline poz91

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 11:32:21 am »
Is there a lot of wildlife out where he lives in the country...?

Nearly every gift I've ever given my dad has flopped, but last year I got him a 'trail cam' and he has loved it!

Trail or game cams are motion activated digital cameras that you mount outside on trees. They're made for hunters, but some folks have re-purposed them for bird watching (mount near bird feeder) or just to record the critters that come around.

Very simple to use (SD card) and surprisingly affordable (they start at around $50).

The first night we set my dad's up we got great pics of a herd of some eight or nine deer eating his garden down to the nub.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 01:37:00 pm »
Basquo-
Along your charitable gift idea. This place is local to me and does some wonderful stuff.
[url][http://www.heifer.org//[url]

Good Luck!
Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 07:40:54 am »

Nearly every gift I've ever given my dad has flopped, but last year I got him a 'trail cam' and he has loved it!

Trail or game cams are motion activated digital cameras that you mount outside on trees. They're made for hunters, but some folks have re-purposed them for bird watching (mount near bird feeder) or just to record the critters that come around.

Very simple to use (SD card) and surprisingly affordable (they start at around $50).

The first night we set my dad's up we got great pics of a herd of some eight or nine deer eating his garden down to the nub.

I want one!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Basquo

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 09:40:45 pm »

poz91 now you may be on to something there! It's gotten better lately, but there are a lot of feral hogs in Central Texas and sometimes they have come into the yard and torn up huge patches of the lawn as well as tearing up the garden plots. He and the foreman used to shoot them and barbeque them for parties and even just to feed the poor people in the county (ok now I sound like I don't know what) but they both have had to slow down in the last few years and I think they actually made a difference in the population. Regardless, he doesn't always hear when they come snorting around and would probably get a detective-like sense of accomplishment just seeing that they were recorded in the act.

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 06:59:13 pm »
Deer cams are cool.  :)

Michelle
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline Basquo

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 10:08:26 pm »
I just found a decent 5MP infrared, motion-activated tree hugger for $50 on Amazon. I looked around and the closest local source was $70 at Academy. Let's hope it gets delivered before I visit him on the 17th as they are leaving for a cruise the next day! And I will probably do the heifer.com gift for his birthday in March...a couple of hares or a beehive.

Thanks you all so much, and Blessed Be!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 09:14:04 am »
Creighton would you mind PMing me the link for that product as it sounds like something my father might like. Thanks!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.