Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 09:57:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 142
Total: 142

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Couple of memorial ideas - feedback please  (Read 3404 times)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Couple of memorial ideas - feedback please
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:37:06 pm »
I was on my way to the grocery and party stores today when i heard a song on the radio.  Let's just say I was inspired with a couple of ideas.

First, during AMG's M&G, there was a beautiful slide show with pictures of past AMG's and mini-gatherings.  My first idea would be to have anyone who has lost a loved one, due to HIV/AIDS, to send me a picture with their names,  birth, and death dates.  I would make all the pictures and information into a slide show, with music, and show it during the M&G as part of an "extended" Memorial service (like what was done this year).  That way everyone lost would be remembered.  I'm hoping that it will be used at every Memorial Service, with others added as need be.

Second, I was lurking in LTS and read about the AIDS quilt.  I would like to to an AM quilt.  I'd need folks to send me a quilt square with either a loved one's name, their name, a quote, a thought, or whatever.  If anyone is interested, you can PM me and I'll give you the details (square size, ect.)  In order for the quilt to be ready for AMG 2009, I'll need to set a cut-off date to get squares in.  However, the quilt will be made in such a way that it can be added to.  Once squares are received, i'll sew and quilt the blanket.  It will be displayed during AMG's beginning in 2009.

I've passed both ideas by AMG Coordinator and Jan who thought it was a good idea and gave me the go ahead to post the ideas here.  If you have any questions, feel free to either post them here, or send me a PM. 

Thanks!
Mum

www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Oceanbeach

Re: Couple of memorial ideas - feedback please
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 10:23:57 pm »
Dear Mum,

You idea is one of love and I would like to ask if the Quilt would be limited to members of these Forums or the people we have lost along the way.  I have lived in Los Angeles from 1991 to 1999 and have been to over 100 funerals and memorial services.

We started a quilt panel for our friend Geoffrey.  The niece of singer Nikki Harris dipped her feet in paint to walk across the panel and it was incredible.  I spoke with the local coordinators of the Quilt to see what we had to do in order to include Geoffrey.  That was over 10 years ago and the Quilt had gotten so large, we were asked to include where Geoffrey lived and where he was from so he would be included in both locations.

I had another friend named Ed.  He was diagnosed in 1981 when there was little research but having been a zoologist, he had enough medical background to understand the few reports available.  I think he lived as long as he did because he was able to understand the early research.  As a flight attendent, he had met Madeline Krim Ph.D, Founding Chairperson of amfAR.  There were no real ASO's in the day so he spent the rest of his life developing and running an organization for the airline to help people living with HIV get support and care.

I was with Ed, his friends, Caregiver and family when he died.  I have kept 1 photo of Ed which was taked by a sign which said, "Do Not Sit", he was sitting and it hung over the toilet for years.  That picture hangs over my toilet and has since he died.

A Quilt panel was never made for Ed because it was not something he would have done.  Half of his ashes were put in a Chase & Sanborne coffee can and sent down a man made water fall in Witchita Falls, Texas, in a shopping mall.  The other half was sent to the winds at Pikes Peak because that was his favorite place in the world.  He was one of the men, I dated in two states and I don't know enough about him to include him in this project but, I thank you for the offer.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline minismom

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 11:07:12 pm »
Sweetie, if you'd like to include him, I'd be honored to have him.  If you'd like, you could also send his name, picture, and dates to be included in the Memorial Slide show.  This is my small way to honor the people that we love and let others get to know them, and love them, too.

Mum
www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 12:55:21 am »
This is my small way to honor the people that we love and let others get to know them, and love them, too.

I did several different slideshow presentations that ran on the three computers in the house and on the TV during the open house/memorial for my partner who recently passed away. Everyone really enjoyed them (well, as much as they could, considering the circumstances) and got to know him better, as they crowded around the monitors. Laughter and tears ran through the house that evening as we rememberd my Jim. I was glad that I planned ahead and made several CD copies, as many people asked for one as they left that night.

I think it's a wonderful, loving idea Mum. As many people have told me, now that I have lost two long-term (10 yrs) partners, our loved ones are never truly gone as long as they are remembered by us. It's one thing to read or hear the names from a list; it's another thing entirely to be able to put a face with each name.

Thank you  :-* for another way to share the memory of my Randy and Jim.

mikie
who still needs to write up two posts for the memorial thread, and will now be searching for the right pictures to send to you
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 01:22:00 am »
I love the idea of a quilt.  Next year it will be 25 years since my friend Lavelle died from KS.  I will pm you soon..

robert

(who can't figure out who this 'mum' lady really is.  I mean I've met her and she looks human but, my god, the lady has 6 kids under the age of 7 and she has time to make a quilt?  Whatever she's on, I want some !!~~) 

Offline minismom

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 09:01:42 am »
Robert, 1 quick correction: I have 6 kids ages 11 to 4 1/2 (6yrs 9mths from beginning to end).

Mum - who thinks Robert is one of the sweetest people on the face of this earth. :-*
www.watoto.com

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:05:12 am »
Hi honey,

I think it's a fabulous idea.   I have wanted to make an A.M. Quilt panel for some time now, but with no sewing machine....well it's kinda hard to do.    I'm afraid you're going to be overwhelmed with names though....lots of us LTSers have 100 or more friends we've lost to AIDS.    My suggestion would be to make the AIDSmeds names the "prominent" names on the quilt (James - gecko31, Christine, Jim and anyone else I am forgetting) and then it's just going to have to be a big list of names, possibly dates if people have them.   I know I do not have the birth dates of many of my friends that have died from AIDS.    I'll pm you with a few of my thoughts......

Much love & thanks for undertaking this important project!

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 09:29:38 am »
I'd like there to be a blank patch or space reserved for the many, many of whom I don't have photos and in some instances even names -- who still deserve to be remembered. Just sayin'.... 

This is a sweet project to have come up with, Mum.
Andy Velez

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 04:18:35 pm »
Mum, this is a terrific idea.  I have a couple friends who never had panels made for them, but unfortunately, I have no clue on how to make a panel. 

Great ideas though.  And very sweet (which is not surprising).
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 04:57:05 pm »
My thoughts where simular to Alan's. There are 7980 members of AIDSmeds currently. Of those I would emagine there will be thousands and thousands of names of friends, lovers, husbands, wives and children that have been lost.
The task of putting all those names and faces together and making sure there are no duplicates would be huge. While it is a very nice thought it seems to be too much for one person. Even if a quarter of people on AIDSmeds sent you the names and pcitures of everyone they have known die from this virus it would be a monumental project.

Offline minismom

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 08:44:18 pm »
Winni, my angel, you are right.  I'm going to have to find some way of weaning down the number to soemthing managable and still be "fair" to everyone.  That may prove to be a more monumental task than setting up the slide show.  Like i said, this is going to be a work in progress, but I totally believe that it is doable.

I SO appreciate everyone's input.  It's helping me to hone in and refine the project.  I don't want anyone to be discouraged because this WILL happen.  For everyone who's offered help and encouraging PM's, thank you. 

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 08:59:52 pm »
When are you holding your first quilting class?  :)   ;)  I wish I could help, but there would be way too many names. 

From the bookkeeper here, maybe compile a spreadsheet in Excel to try and avoid duplicates?

Still, this is going to be monumental.

What a dear person you are, Mum.
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline minismom

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 09:09:59 pm »
Here's my 1st revision / idea at least for the quilt.  The actual squares would be limited to the members or previous members.  If you want the name of a loved on to be included, they will be embroidered on the outter borders of the quilt.  I may need to limit the number of names, but I'll hold off on that until I see how many I actually get.  All the sewing and quilting will be done by me.  I just need squares.

As far as the pictures for the memorial slide show, again, those may need to be limited after I see how many I actually get in.  For now, I've had a few people ask for specifics to make a quilt square.  You don't have to be artistic by any means.  They can be anything from your name, to as fancy as a picture you want to paint, a verse or saying.  Just make sure that whatever you put on is done with fabric markers / paints, and if anything is glued make sure it's done with washable craft glue. You can even print it off your computer on a t-shirt transfer and iron it on.  I need to be able to wash and dry the quilt.  As far as color or whatever, just be creative.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.