Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:31:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 424
Total: 424

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dr. Yong Kang - any news?  (Read 59742 times)

Offline veritas

Re: Dr. Yong Kang - any news?
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2009, 05:06:29 am »

Damn Free and Inch you guys are good. I stand corrected. Perhaps that will teach me to quote a researcher without doing my own homework.

Who knows, maybe if we all do enough research we can connect the dots to a cure. (LOL).

Thanks for the links!

V

Offline Matts

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2009, 04:43:07 am »
The animal tests are completed and the vaccine is ready for trial:
"Omnia Biologics, Inc. and Sumagen Co., Ltd. jointly announced the successful completion of cGMP manufacture of Sumagen's HIV/AIDS vaccine for a Phase I clinical trial.
Sumagen, like many companies in the experimental biologics space, has had great difficulty in finding suitable contract manufacturing expertise to move their products into clinical trials. After the failure of other CMOs, we are happy that Omnia's customer focused and product specialized services were able to satisfy 250% of their required yield on schedule." (Omnia Biologics)
The Korean Company will pay all trials and Chil-Yong  Kang made an agreement that the vaccine will be free to the African people and available at an affordable price for others.
I hope they are successfull and dont get a problem with this Adenovector.

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/fetch.jsp?LANG=ENG&DBSELECT=PCT&SERVER_TYPE=19-10&SORT=41268291-KEY&TYPE_FIELD=256&IDB=0&IDOC=1613154&C=10&ELEMENT_SET=FILENAME,IMAGEROOT-ENG&RESULT=1&TOTAL=1&START=1&DISP=25&FORM=SEP-0/HITNUM,B-ENG,DP,MC,AN,PA,ABSUM-ENG&SEARCH_IA=IB2008000668&QUERY=%28WO%2fWO%2f2008%2f099284%29+

----------------------------------
Montagnier and Erwann Loret finally want to test the TAT OYI Vaccine. There is a  thread about this special TAT OYI from Gabon that makes you seronegative, here in the forum. So far the Ensoli TAT trial is running in Italy with 128 positive participants. Tat- a neverending story for more than 10 years.

http://www.laprovence.com/articles/2008/10/07/586310-France-Deux-Nobel-francais-contre-le-sida.php

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2005/0106161.html[/urhttp://www.iavireport.org/Issues/1299/vol4no5.pdf
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:42:44 am by Matts »
Dovato

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2009, 01:36:36 am »
HIV vaccine makers ready for human testing
Updated Wed. Jul. 1 2009 11:37 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

An experimental HIV vaccine developed by an Ontario researcher may soon be approved for human testing in the United States.

The vaccine was developed by University of Western Ontario professor Dr. Chil-Yong Kang, who is being supported by Sumagen Canada Inc.

The makers of the vaccine -- dubbed SAV001-H -- have sought an application from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to begin human testing.

According to Sumagen Canada, the vaccine has already been tested on animals, without any identified adverse effects or safety risks.

It has already been patented in more than 70 countries around the world.

If approved, the human testing for the vaccine will have two phases: The first will test its safety, the second will test how much of an immune response that the vaccine stimulates.

Sumagen Canada, which is a subsidiary of a Korean drug research company, says it is prepared to start a clinical trial for the vaccine as soon as the FDA gives its approval.

To date, no cure has been found for HIV/AIDS despite years of research. The most recent clinical trials for other vaccines have been unsuccessful.

In December, Nobel Prize winner Luc Montagnier predicted that is "a matter of four to five years" before an HIV vaccine is developed.

Montagnier was one of two scientists to discover the HIV virus in 1983.

He was awarded the 2008 Nobel Prize in medicine last October.

LINKS:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090701/hiv_vaccine_090701/20090701?hub=Health

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2009/07/01/Human-trials-sought-for-AIDS-vaccine/UPI-97021246470243/

http://communications.uwo.ca/com/western_news/stories/hiv%10aids_vaccine_reaches_milestone_20090702444563/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:00:27 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline bobino

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2009, 02:10:39 am »
Sorry, but I'm not entirely clear on whether this is a therapeutic or a preventive vaccine.  I saw upthread that it may be used for both purposes.  Does anyone know more about the nature of the vaccine Dr. Kang's developing?
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2009, 12:18:45 pm »
Sorry, but I'm not entirely clear on whether this is a therapeutic or a preventive vaccine.  I saw upthread that it may be used for both purposes.  Does anyone know more about the nature of the vaccine Dr. Kang's developing?

It is believed it will work as both preventive and therapeutic. In the two clips from youtube provided by J220 above, Dr. Kang is interviewed and explains some of it. He mentions that they will be looking for people who are HIV+ with more than 500 CD4s to test it on. That doesn't necessarily mean it will only work on those individuals but those are the ones they want to test the vaccine on, to make sure the person is immunocompetent. It's important that the immune system still be functional to the extent that it can produce the antibodies that the vaccine will presumably induce.

There's a lot of information throughout this thread that would answer more specific questions about how the vaccine works, although I must say, it sounds surprisingly "simple." Maybe the articles in mainstream publications can't get into more specifics but to say the following sounds so simple you have to wonder why nobody tried this already (i.e. use a killed whole HIV-1 virus):

Kang's vaccine uses a killed whole HIV-1, much like Salk's killed whole poliovirus vaccine. The HIV-1 is genetically engineered in such a way that it is non-pathogenic and can be produced in large quantities. It is then purified, inactivated, and injected as a safe whole killed-virus vaccine.

"We created a genetically modified HIV and recombinant human adenoviruses to develop a vaccine which can prevent HIV infection and clear HIV-infected cells. It can produce antibodies against HIV and educate one type of white blood cells to find infected cells and kill them," explains Kang. "We hope the vaccine will not only prevent HIV infection, but that it can be used as an immuno-therapeutic agent."

This is supposed to produce a strong enough immune response to not only prevent HIV but also clear it from the body of someone already infected? Kang talks about CD8 cells then "killing" the CD4s harboring HIV in those already infected. This is supposed to happen, merely by injecting whole killed virus and recombinant human adenoviruses? There must be more to it that they are not discussing in these mainstream articles but maybe not.

YOUTUBE LINKS:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86SakgTdiIM

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocJMzP8RRA

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 03:30:28 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2009, 12:57:28 pm »
fingers crossed
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline xman

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2009, 01:58:08 pm »
...as soon as the FDA gives its approval.

yes they're waiting for the pope giving his benediction

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 02:05:36 pm by xman »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2009, 02:00:41 pm »
yes they wait for the pope giving is benediction

For now they are saying that they are expecting FDA approval in October 2009.  We'll see.

Offline georgep77

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2009, 04:46:02 pm »
yes they're waiting for the pope giving his benediction
Is the pope working for the FDA?    ;)
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2009, 06:52:03 pm »
  I also want to see what their plans are for dealing with the adenovirus vector. This is the same type of vaccine delivery device that may have led to problems in the STEP vaccine trial, and there are now safety concerns that must be contended with.

A study just released has determined that the adenovirus vector was likely not the problem. Although they conclude that "Safety considerations, including the possibility that vector-specific cellular immunity may impact HIV-1 susceptibility, have become major concerns for the HIV-1 vaccine field," therefore "Our findings suggest a path forward for HIV-1 vaccine development by using rare serotype vectors [not typically found in the general population] that are not suppressed by high levels of baseline vector-specific neutralizing antibodies."

Insights Into Failed HIV-1 Vaccine Trial

ScienceDaily (July 22, 2009) — Following the disbandment of the STEP trial to test the efficacy of the Merck HIV-1 vaccine candidate in 2007, the leading explanation for why the vaccine was ineffective – and may have even increased susceptibility to acquiring the virus – centered on the hypothesis that high levels of baseline Ad5-specific neutralizing antibodies may have increased HIV-1 acquisition among the study subjects who received the vaccine by increasing Ad5-specific CD4+ T-cells that were susceptible to HIV-1 infection.

Now, a study by Dan Barouch, MD, PhD, and a scientific team at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC), reported in the July 20 Advance Online issue of Nature Medicine, shows this was likely not the case.

Continued....

LINK:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090720190810.htm

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2009, 06:46:35 pm »
OhioGuyHere26, you are not infected with HIV so you should not be posting here.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2009, 09:21:29 pm »
Ohioguy

While I'm sure you meant well I have deleted your post, we really have to stay with in the rules of the forums or chaos will start to rule..just a gentle reminder of the rules that apply to you:

■"With the exception of the “Am I Infected?” and “Off Topic” Forums, the AIDSmeds.com Forums are intended for people who have been diagnosed with HIV (or their loved ones/caregivers).  If you are questioning or unaware of your HIV status, please refrain from posting messages or questions in the Forums intended for HIV-positive people".

I know you weren't asking any questions here but it still means you are not allowed to post in tihs forum..thank you for your cooperation

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2009, 01:39:36 pm »
why testing mice,then monkeys,then humans ? if you want to save 35 000 000 people infected !,why not monkeys then few humans and make it quicker . Or are they concerned about monkeys life so they test rats first ? i cant understand this.

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2009, 03:52:04 pm »
A couple years ago a company developed mice that could have their immune systems replaced by a human immune system.  In fact the recent post on RNAi documents this is the approach that company is taking.  Therefore, it would seem that the mice model would be a better way to assess efficacy of the drug than monkeys.  However testing in monkeys might demonstrate other side-effects particular to primates.

Offline veritas

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2009, 04:56:40 pm »

Mitch and sensual,

Mitch the mouse your referring to is called a scid mouse. It has an in vivo model of the human immune system which makes it possible to test drugs and viruses in an intact mammalian immune system. Pretty effective.

http://thyroid.about.com/library/immune/blimm31.htm

v

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2009, 08:58:46 am »
sensual,

Are you willing to be a test subject for drugs that haven't been through some prior tests to make sure they aren't going to kill you or make you sick somehow? Where do you think these guinea pigs are going to come from? Just wondering...

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2009, 11:29:40 am »
Ann am not willing to be a test subject,i am wondering why not ommit rats and start with monkeys,then humans.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2009, 11:30:40 am »
Probably because rats are inexpensive.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2009, 12:48:33 pm »
Ann am not willing to be a test subject,i am wondering why not ommit rats and start with monkeys,then humans.

OK, so you want meds to be fast-tracked and not thoroughly tested before they're given to humans, but you don't want to be one of the people to take the initial risk with these shoddily tested drugs? Sheesh. ::)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline xman

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2009, 01:10:07 pm »
Never considered the risk that compounds are harmless for animals but are toxic for humans? There are some examples in the medical literature of this and even long term toxicities are not predictable with animal testing.

There are new testing techniques like cell cultures which are able to demonstrate in the same manner if a drug is toxic or not.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:11:38 pm by xman »

Offline xman

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2009, 01:14:23 pm »
Probably because rats are inexpensive.

So it's a matter of costs...  ::) Conspiracy theorizing? Business? Profit? Costs? Mmhh. But I thought pharma companies are working not for profit but for our wellness. Confused.  :-\

Offline xman

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2009, 01:20:04 pm »
A new report published in the British Medical Journal finds that using animals for drug trials often yields inaccurate results. A team of researchers from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine compared results of six animal trials to six human trials with the same drug and found that only three trial results were the same for both humans and animals. This discordance may be due to bias, random error, or the failure of animal models to adequately represent clinical disease.

The most notable example of the difference between animal and human testing came earlier this year when six men were hospitalized when a clinical trial of TeGenero’s experimental drug TGN1412 went wrong. Within hours of taking the drug TGN1412, a candidate for autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, six volunteers wound up in a London hospital suffering from severe adverse events that included organ failure. Data from animal trials of the drug did not suggest that human test subjects would have so severe a reaction.

Professor Ian Roberts, the director of the study, notes that further understanding of how drugs affect animals and humans is necessary in order to know how to test specific medicines. “The debate over this issue is really quite hysterical. At the moment, there is too much emotion and not much science,” he notes. Roberts suggests more communication between scientists conducting animal trials and those conducting human studies, which could ensure that animal trials were better designed.

Read more: http://www.fiercebiotech.com/node/4972#ixzz0X31rU6U2

Source:
http://www.fiercebiotech.com/node/4972

Offline veritas

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2009, 03:18:20 pm »

xman,
The history of TGN 1412 shows that the preclinical results and animal in vivo results were not read properly. Take a little time to read the following link in it's entirety. It gives a good explanation as to what happened. But your post proves the point that for now drugs should be tested in animals before humans until they come up with another way that is proven superior.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TGN1412

TGN 1412 activated every T-cell in the body causing a cytokine storm (the body being attacked by it's own immune system causing multiple organ failure.) The hints were there in the animal studies. It was human interpretation of the data that was faulty.

v

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.