Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:23:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 331
Total: 333

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Oraquick Advanced-Finger prick vs oral fluid  (Read 46475 times)

Offline babyming

Re: I know I have it....Even after 15 week negative test
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2007, 12:01:47 am »
What are the window periods in European countries, in Canada, and Australia?

Offline babyming

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2007, 11:52:15 pm »
Please guys....just wondering what the window periods are in other countries such as canada, europe...etc.....is it the same as the US?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2007, 05:37:36 am »
Enough is enough. Please move on.

Offline babyming

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2007, 03:17:10 pm »
Dr. Bob still encourages people with significant exposures to test out to 6 months....do you guys also recommend the same? It just doesn't really make sense for only people with significant exposures to test out to 6 months.....it should be the same for everyone....don't you think?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2007, 03:21:50 pm »
Where did you read that Dr. Bob suggests people to test out to six months? The CDC doesn't even suggest to test to out to six months under normal circumstances. You are HIV negative and it's time for you to move on.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2007, 04:50:53 pm »
Baby, you need to stop this self-indulgent drama! No kidding.

You weren't at risk to begin with. If you have a need to perpetuate this drama by going to other sites and then attempting to pit us against them kind of stuff, we're not interested in participating in that kind of stuff.

You've gotten many informed responses here. We've told you the real deal. That doesn't seem to have made a dent with you.

You're beginning to convince me that you need to see a therapist or other such professional to discuss what's going on with you about this unwarranted concern, one on your part that has absolutely no basis in HIV science. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline babyming

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2007, 05:30:09 pm »
Rapid Rod, you can read it for yourself...this was yesterday's posting

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Current/Q183075.html

This is what Dr. Bob wrote:

1. The guidelines suggest a six-month test following an HIV exposure significant enough to warrant PEP before a definitive HIV-negative diagnosis can be confirmed.

It just seems confusing to me....if a person took a risk (let's not focus on my specific situation)...they took a risk. It shouldn't be split between significant exposure, low risk exposure, medium risk...etc......so why does this 6 month rule still apply? Dr. Bob says 3 months for all exposures exposures...but for someone known to be HIV+, its 6 months....this doesn't make sense.....

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2007, 05:36:13 pm »
Why don't you ask HIM why HE posts that.  We aren't mind readers you know. 

I strongly urge you to get on with your life.  This constant worrying and the anxiety are not good for your mental well being.  It may be a good idea for you to seek some professional help with that.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2007, 05:39:23 pm »
Why didn't you explain the whole answer? The response from Dr. Bob is the same as we tell everyone here. Once you take the last dose of PEP you wait 13 weeks to get your conclusive results. If the person would not have taken PEP then it would have been conclusive at the first set of 13 weeks. If you would have noticed also, the person had a second exposure.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline babyming

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2007, 05:49:38 pm »
Rod....I am not asking about my specific situation....just concered about conflicting information...but if you actually read it clearly...it says:

The guidelines suggest a six-month test following an HIV exposure significant enough to warrant PEP before a definitive HIV-negative diagnosis can be confirmed.

This doesn't mean just taking PEP....he is saying the level of risk involved.....don't you think?

In addition, all of his other posts show that if you had sex with a confirmed HIV positive person...you need to test out to 6 months regardless of PEP. He says:

Now comes the confusing part. If a person was significantly exposed to a known HIV-infected person, the estimated statistical risks change and a second repeat test "might" be considered at six months or more from the exposure depending on the circumstances. And yes, there are very rare reports of seroconversion 6-12 months after a known exposure. The exact details of these very rare historical cases are a bit sketchy, but the reports do indeed exist in the medical literature

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2007, 05:53:11 pm »
The guideline is 13 weeks conclusive. If you take PEP, it's 13 weeks after the final dose of the PEP medication. Yes, you are on the verge of getting a TO. You've had your risk assessment, now it's time for you to move on.

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2007, 05:57:55 pm »
Dear Sir,
If you are in sincere doubt of the advice(and admonishments) given here, then I encourage you to make an appointment with an HIV clinic, or Doctor, and pose your questions at that appointment.
Please print out this entire thread, and take it with you. You will not be able to refute facts, combined with a physician opinion.
It seems nothing short of that will suffice for your curiosity.
Please allow us to get to other people who may have a real need, in the stead of arguing semantics with a person who only desires to argue.
I beg of you to please stop now.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2007, 06:07:27 pm »
Dear Sir,
If you are in sincere doubt of the advice(and admonishments) given here, then I encourage you to make an appointment with an HIV clinic, or Doctor, and pose your questions at that appointment.
Please print out this entire thread, and take it with you. You will not be able to refute facts, combined with a physician opinion.
It seems nothing short of that will suffice for your curiosity.
Please allow us to get to other people who may have a real need, in the stead of arguing semantics with a person who only desires to argue.
I beg of you to please stop now.

Thank You !!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline babyming

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2007, 11:00:17 pm »
Just curious...what do you guys recommend for needle accident? If longer than 3 months...why?

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2007, 11:05:08 pm »
Just curious...what do you guys recommend for needle accident? If longer than 3 months...why?

We recommend mental health evaluation.

Milker (and hell if i get banned for that one).
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2007, 07:19:54 am »
baby,

There are certain protocol that must be observed in the case of an occupational needle stick. There is a very good outline of this protocol in the CSI forum and you can read it by clicking on the following link:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=9056.0

and I believe there's more in this thread:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=9383.0

None of this has anything to do directly with your situation. You are on you FINAL time out warning.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline babyming

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2007, 02:43:05 am »
Why should I get a timeout when I am just asking a simple question?

Does HIV coinfection with gonnohrea or chlamydia prevent the development of HIV antibodies?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2007, 06:12:06 am »
Ming,

You are in danger of a time out because you have conclusively tested hiv negative after a no-risk incident. All these additional questions are just a way for you to keep your worry alive.

The answer to your second question is NO.

Make sure you use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will not have to worry about all these additional things. You are hiv negative. Use condoms and you will remain hiv negative.

I'm giving you that time out. The purpose of your time out is to encourage you to seek out the assistance of a mental health care professional to enable you to get past your sexual anxieties and move on with your life.

Do not create a new account to get around your time out. If you do, I will know and you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline babyming

Oraquick Advanced-Finger prick vs oral fluid
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2007, 10:01:42 pm »
Which one is more accurate? I know that the finger prick was fda approved in 2002, and the oral fluid in 2004. Does that make the 2004 test more accurate and more sensitive?

In addition, is there a possibility that clinics may make errors when reading the test result, such as an extremely faint positive line?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Oraquick Advanced-Finger prick vs oral fluid
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2007, 10:12:15 pm »
Why have you started a new thread when you already have another thread you can ask your questions in?

After 25 posts you should know how things work here.

MtD

Offline babyming

« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2007, 12:34:52 am »
Sorry...I forgot

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2007, 06:05:59 am »
ming,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Are you sure you "forgot", or did you just hope we'd forget about your time out?

Most clinics err on the side of caution when they see a faint positive line. They do more testing in this case.

You are conclusively hiv negative after a NO RISK incident.

There's nothing more we can do for you here. If I have to give you another time out, it will be for two months this time.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline babyming

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2007, 09:06:49 am »
I am just wondering..this is just general information for everyone...but does Herpes delay antibody production? What if you were infected with herpes and hiv at the same time?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2007, 09:16:41 am »
Have you bothered to read the transmission and testing lessons. Please do.

Offline babyming

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2007, 04:27:09 pm »
Rod and Ann, I read it, but it doesn't answer my question...I am not asking this for my specific incident...i just want to know in general, does having herpes delay antibody production. Thank you...you are the best.

Offline James1941

« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2007, 03:23:51 am »
Maybe I put myself at risk of being banned here.  But I have to ask the question - is it not time this guy is banned.  He is a 'head-job' not HIV.  He needs help from a shrink.  You guys been great, it's about time he got the message.

James

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2007, 04:08:59 am »
James are you HIV positive? If not please start your on thread and keep all of your questions and concerns in your own thread.

Offline babyming

« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2007, 03:48:17 am »
This was Dr. Bob's recent post.....looks like CDC still goes with 6 months...and Dr Bob confirms it. Read it for yourself.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Current/Q184967.html

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2007, 04:17:54 am »
Baby,

Dr Bob is a well-know CYA merchant (cover your ass). There is no reason why the window period should be any different if you know your partner to be hiv positive or not. It's ludicrous. The CDC is funded by an ultra-conservative government that would like to outlaw sex outside a traditional heterosexual marriage - they certainly don't condone hiv positive people having sex lives - and they use scare tactics where they cannot legislate.

The window period is three months, period.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2007, 06:03:07 am »
babyming, go to the CDC 2006 guidelines and read it for yourself. That is the same advice that this forum gives. Dr. Bob was answering a question to a person whos partner is positive and has been positive for a while. Don't try to throw this out of context. Annual HIV testing in serocouples is a normal recommendation. 

Offline babyming

« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2007, 11:04:36 pm »
Rod, Ann, Andy...you guys seem to always say the same thing for low risk activities...."no document cases" bla bla bla....no documented cases doesn't mean that it does not happen...it just means that it wasn't documented...plain and simple...people have gotten hiv from receiving oral sex, fingering...etc....it's just that when people turn positive...they automatically assume it was the intercourse part that infected them...by the way...CDC doesn't document any new cases....they used to document cases in the early 90's when they were still learning about the disease...now they don't give a shit about documenting cases.

Offline babyming

« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2007, 11:11:26 pm »
And also....are you going to tell me that out of the 40,000,000 cases of HIV...no one got if from receiving oral sex? Fingering?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2007, 11:29:52 pm »
And also....are you going to tell me that out of the 40,000,000 cases of HIV...no one got if from receiving oral sex? Fingering?

Yes, that's what we're going to tell you.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:33:40 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2007, 03:47:25 am »
ming,

This is where the serodiscordant studies come in. If what you claim were true, then at least one of the seronegative partners in the couples who used condoms, consistently and correctly, would have ended hiv positive. But NOT ONE did. We're talking three differnt studies, involving thousands of couples and running for years.

Use condoms consistently and correctly yourself, for anal or vaginal intercourse, and you too will remain hiv negative. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline babyming

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2007, 06:28:30 pm »
guys...i did something stupid again...tell me if I should get tested....I received oral sex from a friend who says that he was tested 4 weeks ago and was negative...I do believe him....however...he might have had encounters since that test...anyways...here is what happened:

Received oral sex
Licked the shaft of his penis and the head but never stuck his penis in my mouth...stopped after a tasted a bit of precum (about 10 seconds)
mutual masturbation

Now I am a wreck again...should I be worried? Should i get tested? Rapid Rod, Ann, Andy...please help!!!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »
No worry or concern.

Offline babyming

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2007, 06:40:40 pm »
does that mean I don't need to be tested?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2007, 07:03:24 pm »
You don't need to test.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2007, 07:58:41 pm »
Ming, you did do something stupid again. Well, maybe stupid isn't the right word for it.

You already well know from what you have been told over and over again that getting a blowjob is not a risk for HIV transmission. Yet you have castigated us for saying that to you and carried on at some rude length about how we should be paying respect to unidentified undocumented cases.

Now that you got your dick sucked again you're in a panic and wanting reassurance. We can't tell you anything differently than you have already heard from us. You can believe it or not, whichever you choose. There's no need for testing. Getting a blowjob is not a risk for HIV transmission.

Deal with that as you choose. You've gotten a lot of attention here. Going through another one of your panicky rounds doesn't make any sense to me. So I'll just say that you're awfully close to getting a time out here.

Andy Velez

Offline babyming

« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2007, 06:38:05 pm »
Andy...but I also licked his shaft and around his head...tasted a bit of precum and that was when I stopped...it was for about 10 seconds...should I be worried...test? I am not worried about the receiving oral sex part....but this part scares me.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2007, 06:49:50 pm »
You were never at risk and you don't need to test.

Offline babyming

« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2007, 06:52:01 pm »
but rod...precum contains hiv right? and the mouth is a mucous membrane, so how is it not possible?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2007, 06:55:12 pm »
Saliva contains inhibiting factors in your mouth that deactivates HIV.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2007, 07:03:38 pm »
Saliva contains inhibiting factors in your mouth that deactivates HIV.

Hey!  Here's an interesting factoid!  That was discussed with you, ming, 6 months ago in this very thread.

Post number 13.

Hey!  Factoid #2:  You were already told this by the very same poster.  Who would have thought?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2007, 07:12:32 pm »
Ming,

You need to read what you're being told. In particular you need to read what Andy told you yesterday:

Deal with that as you choose. You've gotten a lot of attention here. Going through another one of your panicky rounds doesn't make any sense to me. So I'll just say that you're awfully close to getting a time out here.

Ya dig?

/Emphasis added by Matty the Damned/

MtD

Offline babyming

« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2007, 11:04:41 pm »
Just a question...what happens when someone comes on this forum telling you that they got HIV from fingering and from receiving oral sex. Are you going to call them liars?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2007, 11:08:15 pm »
Just a question...what happens when someone comes on this forum telling you that they got HIV from fingering and from receiving oral sex. Are you going to call them liars?

Yes.

MtD

Offline babyming

« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2007, 04:08:12 pm »
Dear Andy, Ann, Rod,

You guys always refer to the 3 studies of magnetic couples and how no one contracted HIV when having protected sex, but unprotected oral. I only know the Spanish study...what are the other 2 studies?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2007, 04:15:34 pm »
Ming,

You might feel like nit-picking on a Sunday evening, but I'm off out for some R&R. These studies have been discussed and linked to elsewhere in this forum - use the search engine yourself. We're not your unpaid skivvies. Sorry.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.