Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 379
Total: 380

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Western Blot!  (Read 8326 times)

Offline Poppa

Western Blot!
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:48:19 pm »
Had my blood draw early this morning to confirm what has been confirmed by Elisa twice. Is this when I get my CD4 and viral load? Or maybe the Dr. told me when I was sitting right in front of him. All I know is that I am spiraling and I cant stop it. I cant concentrate. I cant sleep. I cant eat. I walk around like a zombie. If I take one more xanax I think I will throw up. My family and friends are noticing something is wrong with me. I am very short on the phone. Wont see anyone. Can just about make it through work. Fortunately I get frequent breaks during my work day and I run home. I am having shortness of breath right now. This is not me.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Western Blot!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 01:25:55 pm »
Poppa, if your doctor told you the test was to confirm the Elisa, then it was the Western Blot.  But, I always thought they automatically ran that after the first Elisa.  You should probably call your doctor. 

I feel for you.  Try to take some deep breaths, maybe lay down and try to relax.  If there's someone close to you that you feel comfortable talking about this with, you should call that person.  If not, maybe you should call your Aids Service Organization and talk to one of the counselors there.  They could probably help you.  But, you need to talk to someone and get this out.

Good luck.  We're here for ya.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Poppa

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 05:31:10 pm »
Hello Betty, I tried to call my Dr.. Off until Monday and I cant discuss it with any other Dr.  ??? Called the lab. Have to wait 3 to 5 days for the results >:(. It is my understanding that they run the second Elisa test and if that comes back positive then they do the Western Blot ( makes me think of a cowboy with a big hat from Texas doin a line dance) Called GMHC crisis hotline. Spoke with a woman for a while. Tells me everything I feel is normal and that this is not a death sentence. Blah, blah, blah,blah. I now know I wont get any numbers until after this last test. Then I have to go for more blood draws to find out my numbers. Do I really have to know all this? I know that was a stupid question but the xanax has kicked in............... Hugs and kisses Poppa

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:45:42 pm »
Different organizations probably do it differently, Poppa.  When I was diagnosed, they automatically ran the Western Blot after the first + Elisa.  I'm glad you called someone.  You seem a bit calmer.  Take care of yourself, and try not to let this consume your weekend.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 11:43:54 am »
Yes Poppa, you do need to know all this.  It's important to know the numbers so you will know if treatment is needed.  And if it is, then more testing is required to see what drugs are and are not suitable.

This is a confusing time for you, when everything is up in the air and uncertain.  Over the next few weeks things will become more clear.  Please bear in mind that life isn't over, just different. 

I think maybe you should tell your ex.  It sounds to me like you really need to discuss it with someone.  Good luck, and I hope you can find some peace in the next few days. 
It's a complex world

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 01:08:03 pm »
I agree with Blue, it's worth learning all you can.  But give yourself time too -- taking too much in at once can feel overwhelming.

A good place to start are our lessons, and they begin on a page called HIV+? Start Here.

To understand the Western Blot, etc., check out our lesson called Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV).

And once you get your blood drawn for you first CD4 and Viral Load tests, check out our lessons under The Blood Tests You'll Need.

Again, no need to do all this now.  Baby steps.  They'll be there when you're ready to read them.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 05:38:46 pm »
Pop, if you're feeling up to it you might call your local AIDS service organization and see if they offer counseling or can make a referral. Getting some support where you can talk frankly about what's going on can be very helpful.

Meantime you're welcome to talk here too of course.

What can feel totally overwhelming right now really is gradually going to settle down. Hang in there.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.