Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:19:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 454
Total: 456

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Another Condom Brake Issue  (Read 9634 times)

Offline olympus

Another Condom Brake Issue
« on: February 09, 2010, 09:16:45 pm »
Hi Everybody!

My story is probably similar to the other ones posted on this forum.

Before I'll start I have to congratulate to anyone who created this forum. This is excellent job and definitely one of the best and the most professional web in the world dedicated for HIV/AIDS.

I had a sex with a girl for about 1 hour. While intercourse condom broke. I replaced it. After while another condom broke. I have not any idea how long I was inside her with broken condom. Each time I have realized that a condom is broken I replaced it immediately.
I'm just wondering how risky was this situation and what is a chance that I was infected (in the case if girl was hiv+ at that time)?

Anytime when I got sex I do every effort to make sure I'm protected in the right way. But that time something went wrong and now I have started to afraid the situation.

I had some health issues next day and more serious about 3 weeks after incident. It was like very flu symptoms (maybe just flu) with muscle and joint pain, no fever but I felt tired. After another few days my skin on shoulder, chest and around neck became very sensitive. I did not notice any rash but every contact with T-Shirt or any other made me feel like burning and incredible pain. For the next few weeks whenever I was home I did not wear anything on the top to avoid itching, pain and whatever it was. Now this symptoms are passing away. My doctor told me that this kind of things are based on stress or any other medical issue and he does not see any problems advising me to take more relax.  I asked him to make blood work (CBC and Chemo). Everything is perfect.
Conclusion is that I got some knowledge abut Hiv (thanks to this forum) and now I do not know what to think about this situation. Should I get tested?
And one more question. What is the medical situation with med care in Canada? Is there anyone who know how CAD Health System is prepared to treat HIV+ people.

Thanks for all who will help me to get the answer.

olympus

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Another Condom Brake Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 09:27:51 pm »
Olympus,

HIV is a fragile virus, which is difficult to transmit, particularly from woman to man during vaginal sex. Essentially you were protected up until the time the condom broke and really you fall into the category of extremely low  risk exposure.

But a risk is a risk and so you should test 3 months from the date of the sexual encounter you describe here. I fully expect you to test negative and so should you. You might want to ask about tests for STIs other than HIV.

I would also suggest that you bone up (so to speak) on your condom usage. Latex condoms rarely break when used correctly and since two broke on you in sucession, I suspect you were doing something wrong.

Make sure you use quality latex or urethane condoms that are not date expired and have been stored properly. Always use water based lubricants. Oil based lubricants dissolve latex and must be avoided. Ensure that when putting the condom on your penis, it hasn't been snagged on your fingernail or somebody's teeth.

Your symptoms here are irrelevant. They have no bearing on HIV diagnosis.

As for HIV services in Canada, I can tell you that they are excellent but I doubt very much that you will have any need to call upon them.

Finally, you might like to the time to read our Welcome Thread and follow the links to our Lessons.

MtD

Offline olympus

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:28:18 am »
matty.the.damned

Thank you for fast respond. There is always problem with symptoms. Maybe because HIV usually has no symptoms but whatever they are make me worried.

Now is the time when 3 months period past. This is the right moment to get tested. Of course I'll do it but somewhere inside there is a fear. What will be if a test will be back poz?
I have to find a way to get through it somehow.

Getting back to condom proper use - I have to say my mistake. I do not know what happend. I had to do something wrong.  Thanks very much for links.

One more thing.
I have just realized how HIV is important and serious problem. No matter I'll get out of it + or - I would like to engage my self in some volunteer program and support people with HIV/AIDS problems. I live in Canada, ON. Where can I find information about any support groups and their needs?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 12:35:41 am »
You should arrange your HIV test as soon as is practicable. Not because I think you're going to test positive, but to give yourself peace of mind.

I really do believe you will test negative.

As for helping the HIV positive community in Canada, I'd recommend you check out the information on the Canadian AIDS Society website. I'm sure you'll find useful links there to services in your area.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 07:40:53 am »
Olympus,

You are correct in assuming that you were doing something wrong in order for the condoms to break. A correctly used condom rarely breaks. Make sure you read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them correctly in future.

My guess is that you either weren't pinching the tip of the condom while putting it on (thereby leaving an air-bubble in the tip), or she wasn't very wet and you should have been using lube. These two things are the leading causes of condom failure.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline olympus

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 12:34:52 pm »
Ann,

I have just read it. Thx for links and quick reply.
What is your point of view about my symptoms and HIV test?
Is there anything to make worry about?
You know - the worst problem is when I browse network reviewing symptoms, everytime it takes me to HIV web and gets me crazy.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 01:03:10 pm »
olympus,

Sometimes when you feel flu-like symptoms, it just means you have the flu. Most of the time, in fact. The rash that sometimes accompanies acute hiv does not itch or cause pain. Symptoms are meaningless when it comes to diagnosing hiv as you have already been told.

Hiv is much more difficult to transmit from a woman to a man and I do fully expect you to test negative. You were protected both times up until the condom broke. I have yet to see the insertive partner become positive over a condom break and I do not think you are going to be the first.

Stop torturing yourself and stop browsing symptoms. Just go get tested, collect what I fully expect to be a negative result, and move on with your life. Make sure you are using condoms correctly in future and you'll be just fine where hiv is concerned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 01:03:50 pm »
You've already been told that your risk was very, very low. There is absolutely nothing in anyway HIV-specific about your symptoms. Your worrying is understandable but there's an easy cure for that with what we expect will be a happy ending: get tested. You're past the 3 months point so you can do it anytime now.

Stop torturing yourself. Scared or not, go in and get tested and collect what we all expect will be a negative result. Keep us posted.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline olympus

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 01:03:10 am »
Thx to all of you.

Definetly I'll get testet asap. I'll keep you posted when I'll get the results back.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 08:15:31 am »
OK. Good. Good luck with the result which I expect is going to be negative for HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline olympus

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 02:25:20 am »
Hi,
I just want to say that I got my HIV test scheduled on Wed, 22' 2010.
I hope I'll survive it somehow.
I'll let you know about results.
It'll take a place in Ontario, Canada.
Plesease do not leave me...

Olympus

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 06:18:25 am »
Olympus,

No matter what the outcome is, you'll live, so cut the drama.

We still fully expect you to test negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline olympus

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 07:44:20 pm »
Guys,

I got one more question.

I was told in STDs Testing Center that i will have to wait for HIV test results 7 - 10 days and its based on antibody test.

I 've read in some posts it takes only one hour to get first results.

Is that mean I'll be tested in diffrent methood than regular ELISA test?

Thx for answer

Olympus

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 08:12:07 pm »
There is a quick result test which is approved and reliable. You might check around and see if you can get that somewhere and thus avoid the stress of waiting. Ask the site you are using if that is possible with them or if they can suggest an alternative testing place. If they can't, call any HIV service organization. They should be able to direct you.
Andy Velez

Offline olympus

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 12:09:50 am »
Thx for an advice,
but I can not find any palace located closer to my residential address.
I'll wait for the results and then will see.
I'll keep u posted.

olympus

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 08:16:36 am »
OK. Good luck to you.
Andy Velez

Offline olympus

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 02:27:02 pm »
Hello Again

As I said I'll keep you all updated when I'll receive test results.

All STD's panel and HIV test came today - all negative.

I have to say I feel much better now.

I took about 15 weeks from the time of risk exposure to the test day. Do you think I should be tested again in the next 3 months to confirm the negative results?

Thank you all for support.

Olympus

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 03:56:29 pm »
You are HIV negative. Period. End of story. No further testing is necessary.

That's happy news so give it up and get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline olympus

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 06:59:26 am »
Thx a lot.

But I've got two more question.

1. How accurate is a blood test after 15 weeks?
2. Can we say that it's the end of story if the time for some people to seroconvert may take longer than 3 months?

I'm asking because this kind of information are provided on this webpage (All About HIV), so I'm seriously taking into consideration to get tested after 6 months from the date of exposure.
That's why I'm completely confused, because there are such a many of people who say or write a diffrent story about HIV (doctors and some health clinics).

I do not follow exotic webpages about HIV. My knowledge is based only on the information provided here and some professionals I talked to.

I'll really appreciate if you guys will be in honest and explain me why do you provide an information about hiv test time (13 weeks) on the forum contrary to the official information provided. We talk
about serious problem which is HIV, not about statistic issues (1%-3% is still negative after 13 weeks).

If you guys have a right it means there is to much noise around this problem and lots of information provided by even professionals are not accurate.

Olympus

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 07:02:16 am »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline olympus

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 07:47:25 am »
RapidRod

It's just technical questions where specific knowledge is required.

I can not see any problem with results!!!! It's good to me and I'm happy.

I appreciate any answers.
Thx

Olympus

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 09:47:59 am »
Thx a lot.

But I've got two more question.

1. How accurate is a blood test after 15 weeks?

VERY!

2. Can we say that it's the end of story if the time for some people to seroconvert may take longer than 3 months?

THAT IS ONLY IN CASES INVOLVING LONGTIME INTRAVENOUS DRUG USE, ORGAN TRANSPLANT OR TREATMENT FOR CANCER WHICH ALL DAMAGE THE IMMUNE SYSTEM.

I'm asking because this kind of information are provided on this webpage (All About HIV), so I'm seriously taking into consideration to get tested after 6 months from the date of exposure.
That's why I'm completely confused, because there are such a many of people who say or write a diffrent story about HIV (doctors and some health clinics).

I do not follow exotic webpages about HIV. My knowledge is based only on the information provided here and some professionals I talked to.

I'll really appreciate if you guys will be in honest and explain me why do you provide an information about hiv test time (13 weeks) on the forum contrary to the official information provided. We talk
about serious problem which is HIV, not about statistic issues (1%-3% is still negative after 13 weeks).

IT'S NOT OUR JOB TO EXPLAIN WHAT OTHER SITES ARE PUTTING OUT. WITH THE SENSITIVITY OF TODAY'S TESTS, ALL GENERATIONS OF TESTS WILL GIVE AN ACCURATE RESULT AT 13 WEEKS WITH THE ABOVE NOTED EXCEPTIONS IN SOME CASES. 

If you guys have a right it means there is to much noise around this problem and lots of information provided by even professionals are not accurate.

Olympus

YOU ARE HIV NEGATIVE. PERIOD. IF YOU COME BACK AGAIN WITH MORE QUESTIONS AND DOUBTS, YOU ARE GOING TO GET A 28 DAY TIME OUT. Consider yourself warned.

IF you can't let go of this unwarranted concern then perhaps it's time for you to discuss the situation with a counselor or other professional. We can't help you with that in this setting.
Andy Velez

Offline olympus

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 09:53:54 am »
Andy

Thank you very much.

You've just waived my doubts seriously.
I have no more questions and all is clear.

Thx again

Olympus

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 11:17:32 am »
You're welcome. Now get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline olympus

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 08:33:05 pm »
Hi Guys.

I was thinking witch generation of ELISA test are used now in Canada and US.
Is there any Gov regulation or maybe it depends to the clinics where the tests are performed.
Please do not understand me wrong.
I do not have a problems with my results and I know I'm negative.
I'm just curious.

Thx for any info.
Olympus

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 09:18:21 pm »
Every generation of HIV test currently in use will give an accurate result at 13 weeks after a risky incident.

Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.