Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:58:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 656
Total: 656

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What I sent to the White House today  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
What I sent to the White House today
« on: August 16, 2009, 06:19:57 pm »
Dear Mr. President (or whoever reads this letter)

OK, we’ve just about had enough of this health care reform crap.  Now you seem to be tempting yourself to compromise the “public option”, which of course you ran on, and won the Presidency; so just how do you think that makes the hordes of seniors living in Arizona feel just about now?  You say this doesn’t apply to seniors.  I say crap.

Let me explain.  My husband, aged 67, recently retired with a paltry income of about $900.00/mo, and the bill for his “part B” is still unaffordable @$163/mo, plus of course, any private insurance which might be available here in the border region of the country.  Plain and simple, he cannot afford to get sick.  My income?????  Of course you say - I cannot afford to pay anything, because I live on SSDI from long term crippling effects of HIV/AIDS.  Yes, the current debate does apply to us seniors.

I have a stellar suggestion to save enough to help fund your mandatory “public option” which is obviously in severe jeopardy since your quote in Grand Junction yesterday.  Let my husband sign up for the VA system as a spouse, (22 years) and we will both be happy, and again campaign, and vote for your second term.  Tens of thousands of Veterans are gay and have spouses who are discriminated against because “we are two men/women in love”.

Anything but a public option will be the death knell for your second term, which we so very much need now after the raping of the constitution which we have tolerated over the last 8 years.  Don’t let one third of the country place the majority in jeopardy.

Neither of us registered Independents will vote for you again if this doesn’t pass, and there are tens of thousands of Independents in Arizona who will be in line to vote for an alternate if you screw this one up. 

We both love and adore you and your family, and you bring joy to this home every time you appear on TV, but you need to reach down into your pants and grab a handful, because we simply cannot afford to live in the future America if something sane isn’t accomplished in “Health Care Reform”, Insurance Reform, and the health of our nation.

Bullshit simply cannot prevail any longer.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: What I sent to the White House today
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 08:22:24 pm »
Good for you, daddy Tim! :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Jody

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 09:34:02 pm »
Great, passionate letter Moffie and thanks for speaking for so many others as well.  Health care reform is desperatley needed.  Obama was elected by a genuine mandate, a true majority of voters and his administration in retrospect should have been able to accomplish more by now, it seems we live in a period of much talk and no real action.  On the other hand it cannot be easy to get one's feet wet too quickly, so I say let's see where we stand in January, one year after the inauguration.

Jody
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 08:37:39 pm by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 02:25:52 am »
As if the government cares about us...

Offline Denver Toad

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 09:38:04 am »
Good on you Tim!!  I delivered this letter to Dianna Degette, our House Rep, and actually was able to spend a few minutes with her. Don't know if it will make a difference but I gave it a try.

“Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning.” Benjamin Franklin

Never before have I either written to or visited a member of my Congressional delegation. However never before have we as a nation faced a time in history as unique as this. It is my belief that we as a nation and a people are at the cusp of a defining moment in our history. Every generation preceding us has had its shining moment that has left an indelible mark upon the history of this nation. Founding settlers, Civil War soldiers, westward bound pioneers, World War veterans, and civil rights activists together struggled for a higher cause and faithfully believed in a better tomorrow. The question before us today is what we will do to leave this a better nation tomorrow?  What will we as a generation leave as our mark upon this nation?
It is my belief that it time to effect a change in how we care for each other. That now is the time to provide affordable, comprehensive, portable and equal healthcare coverage to all citizens. If we are to continue looking backwards to the future, then what promise does the future hold? In the words of the eminent Jewish scholar Rabbi Hillel: “If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?” Difficult times lie ahead, but those who prepare will help to lead the nation through them. We as a nation are blessed with abundance and remain duty bound to assist fellow Americans in need as their plight continues. Let us look forward to the future with a belief in a better tomorrow and act accordingly.
Please vote in favor of H.R. 3200. Together we will leave a legacy upon this great nation as preceding generations have before us.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 09:59:19 am »
Thanks Betty and Jody.
Jeff, it is important to remember that WE are the government, and to say that the govt. doesnt' care a hoot about us, is equal to saying WE don't care about ourselves.

Toad, good on you, this was a good letter and well thought out.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 07:38:26 pm »
Did you copy this to your two AZ state Senators (OH yes, they are republicans, and they stand for nothing)....glad you went to the White House!

Much Love,
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.