Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:41:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 265
Total: 265

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My Week in Hell  (Read 4385 times)

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
My Week in Hell
« on: January 19, 2007, 07:39:16 pm »
first, I want to say thank you everyone for the nice thoughts

secondly, anyone who took umbrage at my posts, please know I was beside myself with frustration and anger - if the anger semed directed it may have been beacuse I felt I was being misunderstood, even within this circle. I was simply unable to state in short sweet sentences what the hell it was I wanted, instead most likely I just wanted vent space, if you know what I mean

Thirdly, here is what the local papers have to say about Georgia's Mental Health Hospitals, somewhere in here it will say Ga. ranks 44 out of the 50 states, and gets a grade of D but at the moment I can't find that direct link....

Fourth: I am today no better eqiuped to deal with stress than last Thrusday when I was taken in for a so-called 72-hour observation period. Unhappily, that 72 hours did not actually start until the doctors came back to work on Tuesday after a nice long weekend. In the meatime I was pumped up with all kinds of anti-psychotics after a 5 minute "consult" done at 3am last week Friday.

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/meshmental0118b.html
The National Alliance on Mental Illness, a consumer advocacy group, Wednesday asked the U.S. Justice Department to investigate what it called "unacceptable and intolerable" conditions in Georgia's seven state mental hospitals.

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/health/stories/2007/01/04/0107meshabout.html
The Georgia Department of Human Resources, which operates the seven state hospitals, refused to identify any current or past patients, including the 364 who have died in state custody in the past five years.

http://www.ajc.com/health/content/health/stories/hiddenshame.html
...was one of at least 115 patients from Georgia's state psychiatric hospitals who have died under suspicious circumstances during the past five years, according to an investigation by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The newspaper assembled a list of questionable deaths by examining state and federal inspection reports, a database of vital records, autopsies, medical files, court papers, state insurance claims and other documents.

This study revealed a pattern of neglect, abuse and poor medical care in the seven state hospitals, as well as a lack of public accountability for patient deaths. The findings for 2002 through late 2006 -- from employees beating patients with aluminum pipes to doctors widely prescribing sedatives just to maintain order -- evoke images from the mid-20th century at the state hospital in Milledgeville. There, thousands of patients lived and died amid horrific conditions that became synonymous across the nation with mistreatment of people with mental illness.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 07:41:59 pm by twofires »
Who was it wrote; Give any one species too much rope and they'll fuck it up?
-Roger Waters

Offline Eldon

Re: My Week in Hell
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 07:47:28 pm »
Two: It is good to hear that you are doing well. I do agree that handing out sedatives like they are candy in order to control the situation rather than addressing the real cause, leaves a wide open space for one to think if they really want to resolve or just put a band-aid on the situation.

From my past experience, there was something "a cause" that triggered my anger, anxiety, and my depression. As a result, I found out what that "cause" was and I made the necessary adjustments in my life in order to eliminate the "cause".

I am sending you my best wishes for you to get through this and you will because it is witthin you to do so.

"What Can I do today to make a better Tomorrow?"

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 07:58:02 pm »
i am afraid that part of The Cause, in my case, was the persistent demanding from some here, especially demands written in Gigantic Fonts demanding I tell you what I wanted from you

This screaming just made me all the more frsutrated and angry...
-Roger Waters

Offline Eldon

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 08:27:31 pm »
Two: The CAPS and the Large fonts is definitely a cause which resorted to an effect. I feel the same when it comes to this type of presentation just as well.

"What Can I do today to make a better Tomorrow?"
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 08:37:17 pm by Eldon »

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 08:32:37 pm »
patrick,

I'm glad you're back home, out of the hands of the "authorities," but sorry to hear your situation is virtually the same.  Public mental health is a horrendous joke in most states (I bet Louisiana is below Georgia on the scale you mentioned) and is so underfunded as to be more detrimental than beneficial.   

Your frustration and anger were very clear to me but it's almost impossible to say anything really helpful in such a situation and platitudes and "best wishes" are a very weak second best. 

I hope you realize there are people here who care and sincerely hope your situation improves.  We can only offer words of support, unfortunately, but I hope you see some posts as positive if not actually helpful.  Please vent as much as you need to.  Many of us have been in similar circumstances at some point in our lives.  I know I have.

Rob
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 09:07:19 pm »
Twofires believe me when I say there were many on site who recognized you were dealing with more than strangers on a website could help you with. I regret that too often the prescription is to make it all about ourselves and hand out nonsensical advice. Your obvious frustration was evident. All I can say is I am sorry for what you are enduring, and difficult as it may be, I hope you find some relief.
I do want to commend the mod's for recognizing your pain and handling the situation with grace.

Be better,
Hal

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 09:48:44 pm »
Two, glad your back man.  Im sorry to hear about the sad state of affairs down there!  I am doing everything I can to send you positive vibes!  Good luck man and anytime you need to vent I am here!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 11:45:32 pm »
Welcome back. Glad you're out. Psych wards and the like are among some of the least health-inducing environs going.  As my mom would say " Things will get better." And, she's been right many more times than I.  I pass it along with my wishes for your improved health at every level possible.

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 11:58:01 pm »
http://www.ajc.com/health/content/health/stories/2007/01/04/0107meshabout.html

I am getting settled back in and writing about my strange week.

You know of course who Kurt Vonnegut is? Well, he has a son, Mark, who wrote a book, The Eden Express about his dip into madness and experiences with mental hospitals....http://www.amazon.com/Eden-Express-Memoir-Insanity/dp/1583225439/sr=8-1/qid=1169265218/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2737588-4556025?ie=UTF8&s=books

me, I just wanted a script for zoloft for seasonal depression (who doesn't have it?), and then everything kind of went sideways. It kicked off with the Georgia Crisis Intervention Hotline hanging up on me for swearing too much. The tale centers around a week long "72 hour" observation period at East Central Georgia Regional Hospital in Augusta (the 3 day weekend didn't count); the funnest part is when they lost my drivers license, 2 visa cards, cellphone & house/car keys. Their food was routinely cold, my lactose-free diet platter usually had a pad of butter and pint-o-milk while they withheld my cake with frosting. Then there's mixing my HIV and GERD meds which I told them NOT to (one cancels the other out), and instead I get pegged for "refusing my meds". The daily crazy fights, with blood, in the filthy dorm unit. Or the white knuckle, 90-mile per hour ride on I-20 with one of us "consumers" having a gran mal seizure not once but 3x in a van with unbalanced rear tires. Followed by the more leisurely 80 mph ride to Athens after dropping seizure boy at the ER in Greenville(sp?) You know how people grab the hanging thingies when standing, riding buses or subways, I was holding dead serious onto every strap in the van I could. Yet I still had to cab it back to the house from the Athens clinic that Baker Acted me in the first place, cost me thirteen bucks. Oh and I forgot the 6 hours in 4-point restraints at Athens General Hospital and being catheterised cause I couldn't "Tee Tee" for them as the ancient security guard commanded. - I'll tell you bondage is highly over rated.

Tip of the iceberg. I'm telling ya.

A week of utter insanity.

Georgia ranks 44 out of the 50 states in operations at mental health hospitals, and gets a grade of D overall This is the first in a series of reports on Georgia's system of state psychiatric hospitals, focusing on the suspicious deaths of 115 patients. Future articles will look at patient abuse, escapes and inadequate planning for the treatment of discharged patients.http://www.ajc.com/health/content/health/stories/2007/01/04/0107meshabout.html
-Roger Waters

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 11:58:44 pm »
 Well, I'm glad that Lisa was able to help you.  Lisa is everything that is good about this place all rolled into one.

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 12:01:37 am »
Lisa was great to talk with, I only rue the fact I pay minutes on my cell phone so I kinda hate to talk really....
-Roger Waters

Offline joemutt

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 12:02:59 am »
I'm glad you made it through, I recognise it too well from before in my life.
Wish you well.

Offline Christine

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 05:13:05 pm »
Hi twofires,
I am sorry it was so horrible. When you need to vent, we are here.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 05:21:12 pm »
Wow, Patrick... that is one incredibly shitty week. Very sorry my friend. But things seem to be getting a little better, I hope. As others have said, when you need to talk about your frustrations, we're here to listen. Really and truly.

I've had depression since the age of 10. If you want to talk about your meds and diagnosis and treatment etc feel free to PM me.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.