Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:10:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 147
Total: 147

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: tests and equivalences  (Read 10699 times)

Offline 75CMIA

tests and equivalences
« on: April 27, 2011, 08:39:12 am »
first of all, congrats for puting up such a good way of information!
I do know that tests done before 12-13 weeks is not conclusive, but some say The 4th gen are more likely to pick up an early infection.
CDC guide lines say 90 days, is that 90 days.
All this generates a lot of confusion!
One I think the more people that test early, if possible, despite the cost to retest at 90 days, would decrease dramatically the risk OF passing the virus to others!
What is the difference from ELISA and CMIA tests?
4th gen tests, do or do not reduce the window period? If it does, how much sooner?
PCR RNA quantitative tests, are more susceptible to false negative or false positive? I have already learned that in this case it is called eclipse period? what time line can wee expect on this tests?
I have also learned that the virus multiplies it self very quick in the early infection and after a few weeks goes back down, but how low it will go? lower than the 50 copies per ml that the test can detect?
I have had an encounter on Jan, unprotected sex vaginal penetration, and to my "luck" she got her period in the middle of our action!
we both tested 68 days after we had sex, it was a CMIA test 4th gen, it came back neg for both of us.
At the 74 days mark I took a rapid test in Brazil, it was negative as well.
75 days mark, one day after the rapid test, I took One more CMIA 4th gen test and a quantitative PCR RNA test, taqman v2 hiv 1 & 2! they both came back non reactive and not detectable.
should I go ahead and retest at 90 days?
On the 84 th day I have developed some red spots, mostly on my shoulders, chest, and back, some look like follicles, but others are just red spots, they are quite apart from each other. I don't know if they are a reaction from the sun of last weekend or if it could be the HIV virus.
I would appreciate if some one with knowledge could help me out understanding!

Thank you

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: tests and equivalences
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:17:18 am »
You are making this situation way more complicated than you need to. With a negative result at 75 days already in hand, you virtually certain to test negative at 13 weeks/3 months.

At that point all generations of tests are reliable.

Nothing you are reporting symptomatically is suggestive of HIV/ARS.

Be patient for a little more time and I expect you will get a negative result.

Andy Velez

Offline 75CMIA

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:44:32 am »
thank you Andy.
I agree with you. I went here in Brazil to the icon on HIV, Dr David Uip, he told me the same thing.
But I just think that people would like to understand all this that I Have mentioned, and use my case as many others as source of information to learn how to deal with the yr own fears!
I this days there are so many different tests that is more confusing than ever.
ELISA
CMIA
PCR RNA
PCR DNA
quantitative
qualitative
3rd gen
4th gen
window period
eclipse period

So I be live that in this forum it must be some one with the wisdom to clarify some of this in one post, so more people can rely on it!

Thank you One more time, and I do think that forums like this are a real Gold to people seeking information!

where is this going to end?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:50:47 am »
PCR-RNA tests are supplemental tests and are not stand alone tests and must be used in conjunction with an antibody test.

PCR-DNA tests of any type are not approved for diagnostic use. They are monitoring tests for those that are KNOWN HIV POSITIVE to monitor their HIV progression.

Offline 75CMIA

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 09:16:09 pm »
i do understand that PCR RNA test have to be taken with an antibody test.
on my 84 th day I started showing some small red dots all over my back, mostly shoulders, they look like pimples , but they dont have the yellow centers, just inflamations.
on the 87 th day, had lunch and like 15 min after startet trowing up!
I will complet 90 days next sunday, will retest monday, just afraid of this signs!
On the 79 th day i have taken the first shot of hepatitis A/B vacine, can this interfere on the HIV test?
I have tested neg on the 68 th day, CMIA 4th gen.
on the 74 th day neg on a rapid test down in Brazil, bio manguinhos.
On the 75 th day neg on CMIA 4th gen
on the 75th day also not detectable on RT PCR RNA - Roche taqman v2 - 20 copies/ml
Can this little rash be a reaction from the hepatitis vacine?
thank you

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 04:41:28 am »

One thing is clear, you do not have hiv.

No, a vaccine will not interfere with hiv testing.

Your rash could be caused by nearly anything. One thing that did NOT cause your rash is hiv. You do not have hiv.

With the tests you have had so far, antibody testing at 90 days will be nothing more than a formality.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline 75CMIA

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 08:40:39 pm »
thank you for the info.
today Ihave completed 90 days post exposure, as I will retest on monday, just want to doble check.
the hepatitis vacine A anb B will not be a factor in my test for sure? It can not give me a false positive on the CMIA 4th gen?
just double cheking!

tahnk you again

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 05:41:58 am »

You've already been told that your vaccines will not interfere with your hiv testing.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline 75CMIA

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 06:25:48 pm »
just to update,

As I have completed my 90 days window period on saturday, today I went and got tested again just to get over with it!
Here in Brazil, even out of the window period, my health insurance provides the 4th gen CMIA test.
my result will come back the latest on the 5th, after tomorow, hope they run it before.....
I was informed that my hepatitis vacines are not a factor, even if I taken them 2 weeks ago.
lets hope I have the best of luck, and did not get infected!!!
It has being a roalercoaster ride!
When The girl I went out with and I tested neg 68 days post exposure, what a relieve..... but a couple days later, I did not feel well!
74 days went out to test again, on a public clinic, with a rapid test called biomanguinhos, from an institute here in brazil, it came out negative...... but what if the test was no good?
On day 75 tested again!!! But this time with the 4th gen CMIA an a RT-PCR RNA Quantitative taqman V2..... they both came back negative!
In this same day I tested for sifilis, hepatitis A/B... Negative as well!!!
So I went on and got the vacines for hep A/B 4 days later on april 19th!
On tuesday april 26, developed a rash, I dont know if a reaction from the vacine or in my mind HIV, at this point 86 days post contact! Next day felt, after lunch, sick.... I did throw up! my fears all came back again!!!
So today 93 days mark, got tested! will keep you informed, as this forum has helped me so much, and people did take the time to read and respond to my questions!
Thank you all very much!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 05:50:43 am »

You are going to get another negative hiv test result. There's no doubt in my mind about this.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 08:33:45 am »
75, your anxiety is causing you to make this situation more complicated than it needs to be. Like Ann, I expect you to test negative again.
Andy Velez

Offline 75CMIA

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 10:40:43 am »
After all this testing, and not feelling well, today I got my results for my 93 days test!
They did run it early, and what a great result!!!!

NEGATIVE!!!!

Hope more people will learn from my experience!!!!

HIV1/HIV2, ANTICORPOS E ANTÍGENO, soro

Métodos: Imunoensaio quimioluminescente de 4a geração - CMIA
         HIV1 : envelope (antígeno recombinante e peptídeo sintético)
         HIV2 : envelope (peptídeo sintético)
         Anticorpo monoclonal contra antígeno p24

RESULTADO                            VALOR DE REFERÊNCIA

NÃO REAGENTE (NEGATIVO)              Não Reagente : Inferior a 1,0
Índice: 0,08                         Indeterminado:  De  1,0 a 7,0
                                     Reagente     : Superior a 7,0

OBS.: De  acordo  com  a portaria da Secretaria de Vigilância em Saúde do
      Ministério  da  Saúde  nº  151 de 14/10/2009 em caso de suspeita de
      infecção  pelo  HIV  uma  nova  amostra deverá ser coletada 30 dias
      após a data da coleta desta amostra.

Amostra recebida em: 03/05/2011
                                     Liberado em: 04/05/2011 as 11:24h
                           Resp.: DR CELSO F. H. GRANATO - CRM 34307SP
                                   Ficha No.: 7800870631 de 03/05/2011

I just need to try to find out what is it that I have, since I had a mild fever last night, and have a very concetrate pain in the left side of my abdomen!

Thank you all for taking the time again, I will stay safe from now on, and hope that everybody else that is going thru the same situation that I did, will remain negative!!!
The best of wishes, and a special thank to Ann and Andy, your work realy stands out!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 11:04:30 am »

You're welcome.

You're also conclusively hiv negative. You do not have hiv.

Please remember what you've learned here. Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 12:47:53 pm »
That's very, very happy news.

Follow Ann's admonitions about using condoms everytime for intercourse and you will stay negative in relation to sexual risk for HIV.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline 75CMIA

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 06:08:39 pm »
Andy, Ann,

Quick questio.
Can you tell me if there is any report or case of healthy that have tested poz only after the 90 days?

Thanks

Offline 75CMIA

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 06:57:02 pm »
Read healthy people.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 07:07:51 pm »
"Healthy people"???

The only situations in which it is necessary to test to 6 months are those in which longterm intravenous drug use is involved or organ transplant or treatment for a disease such as cancer.

You are HIV negative. Let go of this issue and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline 75CMIA

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 09:40:03 am »
Thank you for the answer!
Last question and I will rest!
Is it true that people coinfected with hepatitis and HIV, will take longer to seroconvert?
I did read one post where the person did say that he tested neg for entire Six months due to the coinfection!
What if I have aquired both virus at the same time?
I ask because on my last post I have stated my abdominal pain. After going to the hospital, diagnosed with diverticulitis, and on the ct enlarged spleen

Offline 75CMIA

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 09:48:13 am »
And I have a rash red, raised, about the size of my hand, on my gluteus, my wife got sick today, flu, and body pain, very severe, no fever, pain in the ear.
The girl I had my thing with, admited to the use of extasy, and she did mention her boy friend was a cocaine user.
As she did get her period during our sex activity, I am afraid about coinfection!
She did test neg 68 days post our relation!
Thanks ince more

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 09:55:32 am »
That's all more totally irrelevant information.

We still expect you to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 10:03:32 am »

You are conclusively hiv negative. You do not have hiv.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.