Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:19:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 356
Total: 356

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hiv : can it be healed  (Read 32916 times)

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
Re: Hiv : can it be healed
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2007, 09:26:32 am »

When you start thowing the word "healed" and hiv around together in the same sentences, tied into religious thinking (read his blog, folks - http://www.mrpositive.wordpress.com/), then you better be ready to answer some hard questions.

Ann

Guys: Ann showed good judgement here. The vagueness of his use of "healing" in the Post does not diminish it's potential harm. Quack or whacked? Doesn't really matter. The Moderators are neither push-overs nor trigger-happy. Easier said than done.

8)  -megasept

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2007, 09:33:00 am »

And, yes, its a favorite pastime of mine to feed the hungry, clothe the poor, find a home for the homeless...and otherwise, be contrary to the indifference and suffering I see for the least among us.

[/quote]

"Do good by stealth, and blush to find it fame."

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2007, 06:09:27 pm »
My point about it all is that I have an opinion and I've expressed it.  I've also done it without invective, calling into question motivations, or imputing some sort of dishonor or self-aggrandizing behaviour to/among you.  The whole thing may or may not be completely justified.  The amazing part is that it simply cannot be discussed without mudslinging and namecalling, etc. 

That said, here is an interesting item I received via email:

Righteous Anger and Spiritual Renewal
Written by: Rev. Anthony Green

I recently had the fortunate opportunity to attend the NAPWA (National Association of People With AIDS) “Staying Alive” Annual Conference, held in Cleveland, OH this year.  The speakers and presenters at the conference were all inspiring, motivating, uplifting and encouraging in the fight for justice for people living with HIV/AIDS.  I experienced the mood of the conference to be one of righteous anger: meaning, those in attendance are no longer willing to tolerate a less than adequate response from our government in the quality of care for people living with AIDS, and a loud, collective and bold voice of advocacy is necessary for change.

The interfaith service for healing (led by Rev. Mike Schuenemeyer, Executive for HIV/AIDS and LGBT Concerns, and other local ministers and lay leaders) had all of these attributes as well, but it had something else.  Paradoxically, it had a spirit of calm, a spirit of gentleness, a spirit of openness, a spirit of truth – all of which have often been absent from the religious community’s involvement with people with AIDS and their loved ones.  It was heartening to sit in a circle, around a table adorned with purple and gold cloth, a diversity of religious symbols, and a lighted candle, with religious leaders who have the compassion and calling to make a difference in the lives of people living with AIDS.

As someone who has been directly affected by HIV/AIDS for more than 20 years, I continue to be awe struck as I witness the courage of people living with AIDS as they step out and speak up.  We need bold, outspoken advocates and activists, but we also need a safe place where those of us in the fight for justice can gather around a table that represents a Spirit of safety, surrender, release and healing.  This is where we find the inner courage to continue the fight for justice for people living with AIDS.

Rev. Anthony Green is an ordained United Church of Christ minister and a member of First Congregational Church, Albany, New York.  He has been chaplain for Community Hospice in the Capital Region of New York State for the past 5 years.  He specializes in psycho-spiritual counseling.  He leads retreats, trains hospice staff and volunteers, designs educational programs and has presented at national conferences on the topic "Spiritual Pain and AIDS".  Rev. Green has been actively involved on a local and national level as an advocate for people living with AIDS for the past 20 years.  To reach Rev. Green: agreen@communityhospice.org

For those of us who are religious or spiritual or faith-based or nuts or whatever have you, the words "healing" are not negative, indicative of fraudulent schemes or other misbehaviour, or perjorative in any way.  Amazingly, here is a report of an interfaith service of "healing" - though not a service of "curing". 

And, Dachshund, what fame do you think I seek on forums.poz.com for anything I may do to help my fellow man?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2007, 06:19:25 pm »
I've also done it without invective, calling into question motivations, or imputing some sort of dishonor or self-aggrandizing behaviour to/among you.

Nice try Fond.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2007, 06:21:56 pm »
Fond,

I'm a very spiritual person - my spirituality is the very foundation of my life.

However, when I read this guy's blog - which he linked to himself - it was apparent that the type of "healing" he was talking about was the "healing" a charlatan in Brazil is presenting as the eradication of hiv from the body.

As I've mentioned to you previously, if you have a problem with how I handled the situation, use the report to moderator button. Better yet, why don't you email Peter Staley directly at editor@aidsmeds.com

We're not going to allow people to promote charlatans on this website, whether they be pseudo-religious, pseudo-spiritual or pseudo-scientific in origin.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2007, 06:48:15 pm »

And, Dachshund, what fame do you think I seek on forums.poz.com for anything I may do to help my fellow man?

If you have to ask then you don't understand. Have a good day.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2007, 06:55:08 pm »
Fondeveau,

While I have seen Rev. Green's work, and admire his work, this paragraph stood out to me as totally amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The interfaith service for healing (led by Rev. Mike Schuenemeyer, Executive for HIV/AIDS and LGBT Concerns, and other local ministers and lay leaders) had all of these attributes as well, but it had something else.  Paradoxically, it had a spirit of calm, a spirit of gentleness, a spirit of openness, a spirit of truth – all of which have often been absent from the religious community’s involvement with people with AIDS and their loved ones.  It was heartening to sit in a circle, around a table adorned with purple and gold cloth, a diversity of religious symbols, and a lighted candle, with religious leaders who have the compassion and calling to make a difference in the lives of people living with AIDS.

I have been to the NAPWA Conference, and never have I seen such a gathering before, and never was it on the program.  WHERE THE FUCK WERE THEY FOR THE LAST 25 YEARS, when all they could do was condemn the Gay community for being infected with a fucking viral protein.

I am so fed up with self rightous Christians that are so far from "Christ Like", that it makes me sick!  Fond, if in fact you were truly a "Spiritual" person, nobody would have to be told, we could know you by your words and actions.  Give up on Evangelizing on this forum or I will have to get out my Religious Reference material and throw "The Book" at you, Chapter and Verse. 

PULEEEEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2007, 09:19:15 pm »
Fondeveau,

While I have seen Rev. Green's work, and admire his work, this paragraph stood out to me as totally amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been to the NAPWA Conference, and never have I seen such a gathering before, and never was it on the program.  WHERE THE FUCK WERE THEY FOR THE LAST 25 YEARS, when all they could do was condemn the Gay community for being infected with a fucking viral protein.

I am so fed up with self rightous Christians that are so far from "Christ Like", that it makes me sick!  Fond, if in fact you were truly a "Spiritual" person, nobody would have to be told, we could know you by your words and actions.  Give up on Evangelizing on this forum or I will have to get out my Religious Reference material and throw "The Book" at you, Chapter and Verse. 

PULEEEEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So who are these amazing self rightous Christians that you seem to lump me in with?  Where the FUCK have we been for the past twenty five years?

Here's a good starting place to find out where we've been for the past 25 years: http://www.ucc.org/health/hivaids/uccpolicy.html

So, let's see 1983 Resolution calling for "compassionate concern and support for all who are victims of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome and the opportunistic diseases it enables, their lovers, spouses, families and friends:
Calls upon all United Church of Christ clergy and laypersons to become knowledgeable about this epidemic and to offer pastoral care and caring concern to its victims; and
Calls upon United Church of Christ congregations throughout the country to become knowledgeable about and supportive of community-based organizations which are providing services to AIDS patients, raising private funds for research, lobbying for federal, state and municipal funds for research and patient services, and undertaking the difficult task of making up-to-date information about this rapidly growing epidemic available to the public; and
Recognizing the debilitating effects of this illness and the high cost of treatment, declares its emphatic support for changes in Social Security Administration regulations which will enable AIDS patients to receive disability benefits and calls upon the President of the United States and members of the Congress of the United States to use their good offices to facilitate such changes so that undue suffering may be alleviated...."

Yep, it sure sounds like condeming the gay community for being infected, huh?

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2007, 09:22:30 pm »
We're not going to allow people to promote charlatans on this website, whether they be pseudo-religious, pseudo-spiritual or pseudo-scientific in origin.

Ann

Nor should you.  As I've indicated, I think you should have waited until this thread veered off course.  Perhaps, your prior warnings were effective?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2007, 02:31:49 am »
Wow.  After reading through all this mess, I honestly can't tell if the aim here has really been to discuss "healing" or how a poster's situation was handled...or simply to push the United Church of Christ.

What gives?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Florida69

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2007, 09:09:06 am »
I guess if you don't have anything supportive to say, best thing to do is say nothing. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 09:12:17 am by Florida69 »
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2007, 09:55:10 am »
Hello Everyone

I have an idea. Since many of us think that healing (not curing), the process of healing, or things we do in our lives that are healing for us is an important issue to share and discuss, why don't we start another thread?  Another thread that might be a little more......hmm I dunno... on target of what this website is all about?

What do you think?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2007, 10:14:55 am »
Hi Shark,

I think that's a great idea. Feel free to start one yourself - but please be clear as to the meaning and use of your terminology.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.