Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:50:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 661
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 655
Total: 655

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV rash?  (Read 16094 times)

PopTart2011

HIV rash?
« on: July 02, 2011, 09:09:06 pm »
whatever
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:15:30 pm by PopTart2011 »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: HIV rash?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:54:26 pm »
We're supposed to diagnosis a "red patch of skin below his shoulder blade" for you to ease your paranoid concerns that someone you just recently met is possibly lying about his treatment of his HIV? Seriously?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

PopTart2011

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 12:45:40 am »
Wow, what a lovely response!

I was just wondering if anyone knew of it. It's not just a red patch of skin, after all, that would be different - it has at least 30 or more blisters or pimples inside it. It's not recognisable as anything I've ever seen. And yes, I've read stuff online, but it's all vague and it's always better talk to people with experience. It is my right to wonder, quite frankly - or should I just freak and run off and abandon him like 99.9% of HIV- people would do in my situation?! I'm trying to understand, but it goes against what he says. And quite frankly, if I'm considering a relationship with this person, yes, it's important to me! As it would be to anyone with a brain.

The way to help educate people and encourage people dealing with the issue would be, I would imagine, not to berate them.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 01:12:31 am »
So here's a crazy idea.  How about instead of running through this gauntlet of possibilities and querying strangers on the internet you confront/ask him about what's going on with him and ask him to be completely honest and blunt with you.  It's this thing that's somewhat valuable in relationships called communication and honesty.  None of us can even remotely begin to give you the sort of advice you're looking for.

If you're not comfortable dating someone who's hiv+ that's one thing.  If you think he's lying to you that's another completely.  If he's not lying to you and you feel you can't trust him, something else entirely.  This is all between you and he.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 01:20:50 am »
or should I just freak and run off and abandon him like 99.9% of HIV- people would do in my situation?!

As someone who has had three, seven, five, and four year relationships with HIV negative people, I will say with certainty that you need a good running away from.

Don't do this poor guy any favors.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 01:59:31 am »
You just met this person and already you are trying to "work with him on this?"  Sounds kind of presumptious, and obsessive.  He is an adult right.  As someone who is positive in a relationship with someone who is negative I can tell you support is great.  But if my other half was googling every rash I ever had trying to determine if my treatment was adequate there would be problems.  Leave that for me and my Dr.  Support doesnt meet obsessing,  most of the time the best support is when he makes me forget I have this<<<< your not his nurse your his boyfriend.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 05:46:44 am »
So let me get this straight- You found a patch of some kind of skin infection, and are immediately suspicious that your BF is lying to you? That right there suggests more about your own character (or lack thereof) than about his. This may be hard to believe, but the skin infection could have absolutely nothing to do with his HIV status whatsoever. HIV- people get skin rashes too you know. Also curious: just because you've never seen a rash like this doesn't mean it's anything special, so how did you come to this conclusion? Or are you a Dermatologist?

Between your opening statement where you initially said that the HIV doesn't matter to to you, and a statement made later on that 99.9% of the people in your situation would just leave. The unspoken implication is that the HIV DOES matter to you now, and that you are looking for a loophole to let you out of the situation, justifying it as that's what 99.9% of the rest of the people out there would do anyway. Not only are you off the hook, but as a bonus, you get the "knowledge" that you have a clear conscience. Your very own Real-Life Get Out Of Jail Free card. If you work it hard enough, you might even get to play the role of victim.

We Pozzies are fiercely protective of our privacy for reasons you will never be able to understand and coming here with this story is NOT going to win you any friends or help you in any way.

Plus, have you ever thought that maybe your BF is already a member here, and has read your words???

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 06:57:26 am »
PopTart

You might  find it useful to read this blog post by one of our forums members http://blogs.poz.com/jayvithalani/archives/2011/01/no_extra_cool_points.html

As far as your rash question, if you care about this man perhaps you should ask him if he even knows about his rash?  Since it is on his back he may not even know about it unless it is painful.

A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 07:15:39 am »
PopTart

You might  find it useful to read this blog post by one of our forums members http://blogs.poz.com/jayvithalani/archives/2011/01/no_extra_cool_points.html

As far as your rash question, if you care about this man perhaps you should ask him if he even knows about his rash?  Since it is on his back he may not even know about it unless it is painful.

A

Just because Poz has the bad taste to make someone a blogger doesn't mean they should be taken seriously.

Frankly Urban I'm surprised at you.  I would think that you, of all people, should know better. :(

MtD

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 07:25:00 am »
Just because Poz has the bad taste to make someone a blogger doesn't mean they should be taken seriously.

Frankly Urban I'm surprised at you.  I would think that you, of all people, should know better. :(

MtD

It is a long blog post ....  But it eventually makes many of the points others have made above.  Given the OP's somewhat prolix style I thought he might find it more accessible.

Urban (who clearly doesn't understand what MtD is going on about    :-*  )

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 09:20:29 am »
Tart,

All of the trust and other issues you raise aside, my first thought when I read your description of the rash was - shingles. If it's shingles, he's probably aware of it as shingles are painful. If it is shingles, it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with hiv or hiv treatment. Anyone- poz or neg - who has had chickenpox can get shingles and usually in response to stress. You say he's a corporate high-flyer and that's a stressful environment. Add in a new poz/neg relationship... Anyway, shingles is just a possibility and shingles are not an excuse to cut and run, if that's what you're looking for. (and it would seem you are)

You say you recently started seeing this person - do you lay every single one of your own cards out on the table the minute you start dating someone? Why do you assume he's lying about any aspect of his pozzness when he was honest about being poz in the first place?

It's totally possible to go without treatment for years in some cases - I've been poz for fourteen years myself, no meds yet. If you think anyone who is poz must be on treatment, then you've still got a lot to learn about being poz. I suggest you start learning by reading the Lessons available elsewhere on this website.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

PopTart2011

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 11:17:46 pm »
Hmmmmm. I'll just delete my original question and save any more aggressive people with hangups going to town on it.

One of my friends said to me, "I think it' a bad idea because they're all really messed up psychologically - it's not the actual disease you have to worry about, it's their heads."

I was horrified at this idea and told her she was being ridiculous.

But now that I've been here and asked a fairly simple question with what are the best intentions.... well.... maybe I should reconsider.

Thanks. Fire away... I wont be bothering to come back and read any more responses.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 11:26:40 pm »
Yes PopTart, it's obviously everyone else's fault and nothing you've said or done. We're just damaged goods in need of lithium.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 11:43:05 pm »
Hmmmmm. I'll just delete my original question and save any more aggressive people with hangups going to town on it.

One of my friends said to me, "I think it' a bad idea because they're all really messed up psychologically - it's not the actual disease you have to worry about, it's their heads."

I was horrified at this idea and told her she was being ridiculous.

But now that I've been here and asked a fairly simple question with what are the best intentions.... well.... maybe I should reconsider.

Thanks. Fire away... I wont be bothering to come back and read any more responses.

Wow.  Just wow.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 11:45:22 pm »
I wont be bothering to come back and read any more responses

Probably just as well, you obviously don't like the the truth, and that's what you have received so far so no great loss really.

I wonder how many PM's he has received telling him how truly awful we all are.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 10:57:59 am »
Tart, I responded to your PM - or at least I tried to. You have deactivated your account by changing your email address so the PM could not be delivered. I hope the new address is a real one because I sent the PM to that email account. (only mods and admin can see your email address) If the new addy is a real one, your reactivation email might be in your spam folder and mine might be too, so check. If it's not a real address and you want to reactivate your account, get in touch with forums@aidsmeds.com and give us a real address - I can change it in your profile and activate you.

To everyone else, did some of you really have to be so harsh? This is one of the ways that we perpetuate our own stigma. This guy came in looking for guidance and he mostly got vitriol. How are we ever going to end the stigma unless we take people by the hand and educate them in a compassionate way?

Whether we like it or not, people, in general, are just not being correctly informed about hiv. Most people don't have a clue about what it's like to live with hiv or how it all works. We have a unique opportunity here to reach out and educate at least a few people, but all too often that opportunity is wasted in unwarranted attacks and self-righteousness.

I've heard people say "there's no reason for people to not be educated about hiv - they have the whole internet at their disposal." Yep, and there's so much bullshit being written about hiv on the internet it isn't even funny. But when people find a place like this where they can get a real education, they get chastised instead. Yes, Tart has some other issues going on. Yes, I realise his issues brought up a lot of painful memories for some here. But instead of trying to educate him so he doesn't make the same mistakes as you were subjected to, he was attacked.

I'm going to lock this thread. Tart shouldn't have deleted his OP because it makes the rest of the thread unintelligible, but for those who have participated in it, you know what he said and you know what? What he said wasn't really all that bad. He was coming from a place of unintentional naivety and ignorance, but I believe he has good intentions at heart. Instead of taking those good intentions and trying to build on them, most of you just tried to tear him down. It's downright embarrassing, to be honest.

Ann

edited to add... Just to be clear - this thread was locked purely for the reason of the OP being deleted. If anyone wishes to discuss what I've said here, PM me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:25:45 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.