Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:33:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 189
Total: 191

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Ortho Doctor  (Read 3260 times)

Offline wolfter

New Ortho Doctor
« on: February 05, 2013, 09:25:57 am »
5 months post injury, and I'm still not progressing to my satifaction.  I won't go into all the details about how poorly the entire process was from the day I entered the ER. 

My surgeon and his staff did not appear to be interested in listening to me and were dismissive, especially at my last appointment.  My last PT appointment consisted of a few minutes of foot massaging and a long period of having ice applied.  That upset me as we have ice up in these parts and I don't need to drive out of town for it.

I "fired" everyone associated with that facility.  I did not have confidence in the whole lot.  Since I had an upcoming appointment with my regular doctor, I waited for his opinion.  He was concerned that the ortho doctor wasn't concerned with the continued extreme swelling and the beet red appearance.

My ID doctor made a referral to a more local ortho doctor and I made the appointment for Thursday.  It was an interesting conversation with his staff member.  She indicated that I needed to come have x-rays and complete all the paperwork before the appointment.

I told her that I appreciate that this is the way it's typically done but I am anything but typical.   ;D  I explained that I wanted a consultation with the doctor before we proceed.  I explained that I needed to have a doctor I'm comfortable with and who is comfortable with me and my HIV status. 

My point of posting this is drive home the fact that we are in charge of our healthcare.  Over the past few years, I've become strong regarding treatment by any doctor.  This new doctor already passed my first test by having a pleasant first line person.  She understood my desires and even agreed instead of developing an attitude.

I settled for sub-par treatment for too long.  Partly I'm sure because of lack of doctors treating HIV and my own shame.  I now expect any healthcare worker to treat me with respect and realize they're working for me.

A doctor/patient relationship is one of the most important aspects of treating any illness.  I'm sharing this to let others know they don't have to SETTLE for anything less than optimal care and shouldn't be afraid to be their own best advocate.

20 years late is better than never. ;)

Wolfie

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline wolfter

Re: New Ortho Doctor
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:21:20 pm »
thanks, I reckon my wisom is outdated.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:30:11 pm »
Hi Wolfie . The last I remember you were shoveling snow and walking long distance . Am I to understand you have had a set back ? .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 07:32:14 am »
Hey Wolfie,
I've been a bit spacey of late and missed this thread until now. ::)

I'm SO glad to hear that someone is starting to look at your foot in a more serious and concerned way.
It is also good to hear that you seem to be getting better vibes from this new doc.
Hope the new doc exceeds your expectations!!!
Please report back.

And ya....
Was wondering the same as Jeff.
What's up?
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline gulfcoastFL

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 06:14:39 pm »
Amen!
Good for you!!! I recenlty fractured 2 finger bones and had to see
an Ortho. doc, a referal from my own doc. Not thrilled and seems as
though I'll have 1 fu up finger forever. I do nonetheless share your
attitude as time goes by.
I don't see Dr's being called out by name on this site and it's probably
for the best. Not all are created equal. 

If you are fortunate to live in an area where you have doc choices,
then do so. Choose one who will treat you...
"with a little dignity and a little respect   !!!!!

Big fan of movie 9 to 5   :)
"We all think and feel differently as the years go by"  Thank you, Grey Gardens.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:18:30 pm »
Hi Wolfie . The last I remember you were shoveling snow and walking long distance . Am I to understand you have had a set back ? .

The long distance is 1/2 mile which takes 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back.  :)  I'm doing as much as possible but am not seeing great improvements.  After each activity, I can expect to see my foot swollen to twice its size and be bright red.

My doctor rec'd a follow up letter from the surgeon after he rec'd a request for all the x-rays for a referral.  In the letter, he indicates he "admonished" me to continue to put weight on it.  That attitude is a prime example of why he will not be doing any further procedures on me.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:28:12 pm »
The long distance is 1/2 mile which takes 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back.  :)  I'm doing as much as possible but am not seeing great improvements.  After each activity, I can expect to see my foot swollen to twice its size and be bright red.

My doctor rec'd a follow up letter from the surgeon after he rec'd a request for all the x-rays for a referral.  In the letter, he indicates he "admonished" me to continue to put weight on it.  That attitude is a prime example of why he will not be doing any further procedures on me.

You have some metal parts and or hardware the surgeon put in right ?

I was also wondering what your doctor told you about what to expect post surgery ... does he think you are where you should be in your recovery or is it you who expected a better outcome ?

I know you need to vent about this so I'm just trying to understand the dynamics of the situation . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 08:30:25 pm »

why don't some doctors have the ability to show compassion and simply be human?
the only bone that i have ever broken was my thumb in my teens playing football. (ya... pretty amusing. *giggle*)
hard to believe that after 5 months, the doc hasn't been more proactive in treatment.
again... good luck with tour new doc.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 08:35:12 pm »
You have some metal parts and or hardware the surgeon put in right ?

I was also wondering what your doctor told you about what to expect post surgery ... does he think you are where you should be in your recovery or is it you who expected a better outcome ?

I know you need to vent about this so I'm just trying to understand the dynamics of the situation .

He says it's my inaction that is slowing the progress.  We've never communicated clearly about anything.  At the last appt, he spent all of 3 minutes with me before leaving the exam room.  I assumed he was returning since we hadn't really discussed anything.  Next thing I knew, we were scheduling another appointment.

I have an entire folder of reports to hand over to the new doctor if I hire him.  It's possible all the screws and bolts and plates are causing the isssue, but I really have no idea since I've had no one to discuss it with.  Perhaps I'll have answers in the morning.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 11:04:59 pm »
Hey Wolfie, I got a new G.I Doc, so this is gonna be interesting, every Doc is different
so hang in there buddy and don't give up  :D

HUGS

DEN  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline wolfter

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 03:38:50 pm »
Had a good visit with my NEW doctor.  We met and had a discussion before letting him know that I wanted him.   ;D  Quite a handsom doctor and I had to focus on my issues.

Was absolutely the best choice I could have made.  The entire atmosphere there is one that suggests a happy staff.  My new doctor didn't rush me and I could tell through our conversation that he wasn't happy with the lack of concern from my previous doc.

It didn't take long to get a probable diagnosis.  I return Tuesday for an MRI to confirm what he thinks the issue is.  He diagnosed it as a Lisfranc injury.  Something I've never heard of.  After googling the images and reading up on it, I totally agree with his suspicion. 

His final remarks to me after shaking my hand was, "don't worry, we'll get this all fixed".  I have great confidence in him after just one appointment.  I've said it before, just having a diagnosis allieviates so much stress.  I KNEW something was wrong beyond what the other doc stated.

Wolfie

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 03:44:11 pm »
That's an uplifting update ! . I'm happy to hear you have new hope about getting back on your feet , no pun intended .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.