Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:58:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 353
Total: 354

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Government is going to close (looks like)  (Read 28959 times)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Government is going to close (looks like)
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2013, 07:05:45 pm »
It looks like those crazy repubs are going to take us into default . How can they claim to be conservative and do such a harmful thing to the worlds economy .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2013, 07:43:24 pm »
They're stuck on "getting something out of it"
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2013, 07:46:00 pm »
It looks like those crazy repubs are going to take us into default...

Here we go folks... as we should... President Obama cannot give into these people, otherwise "hostage taking" will become the new normal in DC.  It appears that America is going to pay a very dear price, to teach some Republicans that elections do have consequences.

Joe

Offline buginme2

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2013, 08:25:08 pm »
Revolution
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2013, 08:49:51 pm »
They're stuck on "getting something out of it"

While the teabaggers own this cluster fuck, the Dems have also tried "getting something out of it".  When they saw the polls blaming the Repubs, they started pushing for increased spending.  Not a way to get the country going again.

ALL pols in DC are all about party and self, not us.  There is not a single statesmen amongst them.

And before I get called for "fence sitting" again...... Read the Esquire/NBC poll on the 51% in the middle....  The ones who don't fit left or right.  The pragmatic, nuanced ones........ It explains my position perfectly.

M

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2013, 10:26:35 pm »
The Daily Show did a good interview segment on why people feel the need to take hostages.  You can watch below.

http://www.upworthy.com/see-this-daily-show-reporter-loses-his-cool-when-hes-confronted-with-stupidity-naturally?c=ufb1

Offline bocker3

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2013, 07:58:22 am »
Here is hoping some semblance of sanity strikes today.

As one of his constituents, I felt obligated to rip into Cantor yesterday.  I told him he needed to start doing the job that we are paying him to do and stop the fucking insanity.  His desire for power should not be his primary objective, that his current tantrum was impacting my retirement savings, had the potential to hurt my mother who relies, almost exclusively on SS to live, etc. etc.......

I was asked if I'd like a response -- I checked, "Yes", but I doubt that I will hear anything...................

M

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline buginme2

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2013, 02:06:13 pm »
BREAKING!!

Senate close to deal:  http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/senate-update-debt-ceiling-government-shutdown-98368.html

The Senate can make deals all day long.  Will Boehner bring it to a vote in the House, and will it pass?

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2013, 02:58:08 pm »

As one of his constituents, I felt obligated to rip into Cantor yesterday.  I told him he needed to start doing the job that we are paying him to do and stop the fucking insanity. 
M

Great !!  :)      Cantor always looks as though he's just smelled shit.  Always the same blank, shit smelling expression on his face !   :-*

Ray 8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2013, 04:00:07 pm »
I've been reading our credit rating could get lowered anyway even if they make a deal, in order to send a message that these crises have to stop.

What was the point of all this?  I could see going this route for something big, such as legislation to sell off all national parks for resources, for example.  I mean, something with so many immediate consequences, that you had to act now.  Other than that, you get your party back into power and you pass your own legislation to change a law.  But, they know the healthcare law will become as popular as Medicare, so they will have a hard time changing it. 

I wasn't following politics much back in the mid-90's, but I remember this cartoon.  Newt felt snubbed for sitting at the back of the plane and that Clinton never talked to him during the trip.  Most accounts say Clinton was genuinely grieving the assassination of Israeli Prime Minister, Yitzhak Rabin. 

http://www.cnn.com/US/9511/debt_limit/11-16/budget_gingrich/

Offline bocker3

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2013, 05:01:23 pm »

What was the point of all this?  I could see going this route for something big, such as legislation to sell off all national parks for resources, for example.  I mean, something with so many immediate consequences, that you had to act now.  Other than that, you get your party back into power and you pass your own legislation to change a law.  But, they know the healthcare law will become as popular as Medicare, so they will have a hard time changing it. 

Honestly, I don't think there is ever a time to do this.  It subverts the entire design of our government.  Trying to get what you want via blackmail should never happen.  Sending the economy to the brink seems, to me, to be going against the oath they all took.  I just heard a story where an economist said that all the many financial crises of the last few years have cost 800,000 - 1,000,000 jobs in the US.  Not sure where that is sourced from, but one has to believe that all this uncertainty is making business hold back on some hiring.

I hope, although I'm sure I will be disappointed, that between now and January, we get an actual budget that cuts spending and reforms the tax code.  (assuming this deal passes today)

M

Offline mitch777

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2013, 05:10:24 pm »
Honestly, I don't think there is ever a time to do this.  It subverts the entire design of our government.  Trying to get what you want via blackmail should never happen.  Sending the economy to the brink seems, to me, to be going against the oath they all took.  I just heard a story where an economist said that all the many financial crises of the last few years have cost 800,000 - 1,000,000 jobs in the US.  Not sure where that is sourced from, but one has to believe that all this uncertainty is making business hold back on some hiring.

I hope, although I'm sure I will be disappointed, that between now and January, we get an actual budget that cuts spending and reforms the tax code.  (assuming this deal passes today)

M

Agree and I applaud Obama for trying to put an end to these constant threats by not giving into them. What a total waste. This nonsense needs to be stopped. The harm done to our economy is only part of the picture. It harmed people. And for what?
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2013, 07:49:37 pm »
What a total waste. This nonsense needs to be stopped. The harm done to our economy is only part of the picture. It harmed people. And for what?

And guess what, we get to do it all over again  January 15th, when the Govt could shut down again, and the treasury is only authorized to borrow until Feb 7th, until another debt limit is needed. uggghhhh !  >:(

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tednlou2

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2013, 09:20:15 am »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:27:42 am by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2013, 01:20:44 pm »
I know I am probably the only person here that feels this way, but I'm a bit saddened at Obama's speech he gave earlier today. Instead of taking the GREAT opportunity to try to unite he lectures and talks about how bad "the republicans are for tearing down 200 years of work", etc..., etc...

It would have been refreshing to have a speech given entirely about how Congress and the Admin will immediately start working on uniting and trying to overcome differences in preparation for the January deadline, and say maybe something like "I ahve invited leaders of both houses over to the White House immediately for a beer social" or something along those lines.

Then here comes Pelosi on his heels trotting out charts talking about how Republican temper tantrums have cost the US some-odd billion dollars. Which may all be true, but aren't we tired of this diviseness? I know I am.

So get ready for 6 more weeks of name calling.

Btw, I feel entirely alienated by my Congress (Repubs and Dems) and my President. It's shameful.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2013, 02:01:18 pm »
Hey Will,

No, you are not the only person who feels disenfranchised over the mess in DC.  For me, it appears that the age of reasonable representatives, on both sides of the aisle, is but a distant memory.  Politics and governing will always involve acrimony, however, the level has reached epic proportions and has been replaced by actual hatred for the other side.

The display of the confederate flag, in front of the White House, saddened me to no end.  The open displays of racial hatred tell me that America has decades to go, before the Civil War will "officially" be over.  Political pundits no longer promote policies, they denigrate the opposition, often personally, which tends to break any common bonds and we have just witnessed another spectacle of the results.

What I believe would change the political landscape of America is for both Congress and the Supreme Court to have term limits.  Maybe, if members of Congress knew that their political life had a finite end, they may actually work at representing their constituents.  SC justices are not crowned as monarchs, yet many act as such and maybe term limits, would allow for justices to be chosen on their judicial merits alone.

I always found it strange that the president is limited to two terms, but no one, in the other two branches face such restrictions.  If we could make both Congress and the SC be more like a fixed term to serve America, the influence and lobbying could be reduced.

Sadly none of this will ever happen, until Americans stop hating Americans.

Joe
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:17:24 pm by Killfoile »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2013, 02:11:30 pm »
 I used to think that what we needed in DC was regular people who were not career politicians , then came Sara Palin .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2013, 02:22:46 pm »
I know I am probably the only person here that feels this way, but I'm a bit saddened at Obama's speech he gave earlier today. Instead of taking the GREAT opportunity to try to unite he lectures and talks about how bad "the republicans are for tearing down 200 years of work", etc..., etc...

It would have been refreshing to have a speech given entirely about how Congress and the Admin will immediately start working on uniting and trying to overcome differences in preparation for the January deadline, and say maybe something like "I ahve invited leaders of both houses over to the White House immediately for a beer social" or something along those lines.

Then here comes Pelosi on his heels trotting out charts talking about how Republican temper tantrums have cost the US some-odd billion dollars. Which may all be true, but aren't we tired of this diviseness? I know I am.

So get ready for 6 more weeks of name calling.

Btw, I feel entirely alienated by my Congress (Repubs and Dems) and my President. It's shameful.

-W

Funny , that is what I heard him say . I was stunned when people criticized the president after his speech . I heard him talk about coming together . Its a case of no matter what he said its fodder for those who dislike him .   
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:28:43 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2013, 03:12:50 pm »
I'm tired of the need in this country to spread the blame.  Whenever the republicans throw a temper tantrum someone from the media usually says how both the republicans and democrats are at fault and how both sides need to come together.

Well not this time.  It's about time the media names names.  The republicans and The Senator from Texas coast this country 24 billion dollars and almost ruined the global economy.

I'm sick of Republicans and the idiots who vote for them and the media for not calling them out. 

My personal opinion, and yes I'm in a mood.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:14:52 pm by buginme2 »

Offline buginme2

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2013, 03:18:14 pm »
Did anyone else see the op ed the government of China wrote in their major newspaper about this?  They made a compelling case that the world needs to shift their economies to a more "deamericanized" model.  They say this because the US government is so fucked up we risk bringing the entire planet down with us.  It was ..... true.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2013, 05:38:11 pm »
I'm sick of Republicans and the idiots who vote for them and the media for not calling them out. 

Yep -- THIS is how we improve government.  Call the voters idiots.  The fact of the matter is, just because you don't agree with them, doesn't mean that the voters are idiots.  The vote for folks who spout off what they believe it (whether the politician truly believes it is another story). 

This is an example of what Joe mentioned earlier -- name calling and hatred of the "other side".  It is why we are where we are today.

To be clear -- I do believe that the Tea Party is responsible for the manufactured crisis we just endured -- as well as the Republican leadership who was more concerned with their position then doing what was right.  However, vilifying the other side isn't helpful -- because they think you are the idiot for not wanting to stop the runaway spending (whether that is true or not).

Politics are and have always been about compromise.  While I agreed with the President's stance to not give in to blackmail here -- the time now is for both sides to come and do the give and take thing on the budget.  That WILL NOT happen if acrimony rules the day.

BTW -- I agree with Jeff -- I heard the President talk about coming together to solve our issues, yes, he pointed out the obvious too, but that wasn't what most struck me.  I missed Pelosi -- but if that is what she did -- it shows that BOTH SIDES (sorry Bug, but it's true) will not miss an opportunity to "lift their side" rather than talk about how we move forward from here.

Oh and one last point -- the Tea Party members were, for the most part, doing the will of their constituents.  Unfortunately, as I've repeated ad nauseum, they PICKED THEIR VOTERS.  Few if any House members will pay any political price for this.  I'm sure the Ted Cruz is a hero to a huge chunk of Texas.

M

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2013, 07:19:18 pm »
Brinksmanship  is a  sophisticated   and delicate  game  it  can  bite  both of you in the ass at  the  same  time..   this  was  badly  played...Repubs  had  no  chance of  actually  defunding   Obamacare...they picked the  wrong "brink"    the  Budget  is a good  "Brink"   it has  serious  probability  of  happening   when  either  side  blinks

I  think  we just  need to  hold on  for  another  major  round of  Brinksmanship...  all the  hoopla  we have seen so  far is  just a prelude...there  will have to be  serious  concessions  made on both  sides

Nick

BTW   Pelosi's  Charts  were just an introduction to the  campaign strategy  coming our  way  soon,  sort of a  trial  Balloon  sort of  a  rebuke  to the  "tax and spend"  cry  from  repubs against  Dems.....this will  be  "just  wasting  tax Money" by  Repubs for  no good  reason
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2013, 08:16:41 pm »
Funny , that is what I heard him say . I was stunned when people criticized the president after his speech . I heard him talk about coming together . Its a case of no matter what he said its fodder for those who dislike him .

Funny, I guess I just heard stuff like this.."And had one side not decided to pursue a strategy of brinksmanship",..."make government work better instead of treating it like an enemy or purposely making it work worse"

I'll give you that these ^ statement are TRUE, but really was this necessary in his first speech after the re-opening?

Edited to add: he did call for coming together, but would have been nice to hear only that and  not the other.  And maybe say that he will host weekly dinners with the leaders...i think it would  make for better negotiations down the road when you've sat with each other and broke bread often . How  refreshing would that be?

Im not an Obama hater I voted for him, so its no fodder for me. I actually dont care for any of them.

Well not this time.  It's about time the media names names.  The republicans and The Senator from Texas coast this country 24 billion dollars and almost ruined the global economy.

My personal opinion, and yes I'm in a mood.

Nice. You would fit right in with those in DC.

This is an example of what Joe mentioned earlier -- name calling and hatred of the "other side".  It is why we are where we are today.

This... a thousand times yes.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:25:45 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline buginme2

« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2013, 08:51:08 pm »
The amount of money that America lost during the shutdown ($24 billion) is comparable to running the international space station for 8 years, funding NASA for a year, buying 83 Boeing Dreamliner jets, or paying the Yankees payroll (100 times over) or buy 6300 Super Bowl ads.

Considering Republicans are supposed to be the "conservative" ones you would expect them to also be conservative with the economy.  Guess throwing a fit is more important. 

Offline bocker3

« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2013, 10:13:41 pm »

As one of his constituents, I felt obligated to rip into Cantor yesterday.  I told him he needed to start doing the job that we are paying him to do and stop the fucking insanity.  His desire for power should not be his primary objective, that his current tantrum was impacting my retirement savings, had the potential to hurt my mother who relies, almost exclusively on SS to live, etc. etc.......

I was asked if I'd like a response -- I checked, "Yes", but I doubt that I will hear anything...................

M

UGH!!!  I now wish I've never emailed this man........  I am now on his email list and am being inundated with messages.  Today, I was invited for free pizza at a local "volunteer fair" -- to allow teenagers to "get their community service hours in"??  I have no idea what that is about, but I don't like being on his list.

Of course, NONE of the messages thus far have responded to my message to him.   ::)

M

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2013, 12:10:11 am »
UGH!!!  I now wish I've never emailed this man........  I am now on his email list and am being inundated with messages.  Today, I was invited for free pizza at a local "volunteer fair" -- to allow teenagers to "get their community service hours in"??  I have no idea what that is about, but I don't like being on his list.

Of course, NONE of the messages thus far have responded to my message to him.   ::)

M

As far as I can tell trying to opt out of political email list doesn't accomplish Jack . I gave money to the Prez during his campaign and I get 3 or 4 emails a day and have opted out every single time before sending them to my unsubscribe folder . The free unsubscribe service really works for most spam but not for spam the chosen ones in DC send .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2013, 03:04:08 pm »
This speaks volumes as to why we are where we are.  Sarah Palin was on the Fair and Balanced, "FOX and Friends" this morning to stir the pot and create fake outrages over liberals trying to take away Christian holidays.  She says Jesus celebrated Easter.  Besides being so utterly ridiculous and so very scary how close she came to being a heartbeat away from nuclear codes and being the most powerful person in the world, she has nothing to offer, except to polarize. 

http://dailycurrant.com/2013/10/23/sarah-palin-claims-jesus-celebrated-easter/

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2013, 03:57:45 pm »
This speaks volumes as to why we are where we are.  Sarah Palin was on the Fair and Balanced, "FOX and Friends" this morning to stir the pot and create fake outrages over liberals trying to take away Christian holidays.  She says Jesus celebrated Easter.  Besides being so utterly ridiculous and so very scary how close she came to being a heartbeat away from nuclear codes and being the most powerful person in the world, she has nothing to offer, except to polarize. 

Never mind finding a cure for aids, I wish someone would find a cure for stupid!!!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mitch777

« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2013, 04:42:38 pm »
Never mind finding a cure for aids, I wish someone would find a cure for stupid!!!
There is a problem with that idea.
http://www.cafepress.com/mf/31093109/pill-to-cure-stupid_bumper-sticker
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2013, 09:50:05 am »
  Sarah Palin was on the Fair and Balanced, "FOX and Friends" this morning to stir the pot and create fake outrages over liberals trying to take away Christian holidays.  She says Jesus celebrated Easter.  . 

Come on Tedderz, do you even realize what that site (Daily Currant) is? It's satirical, it even says it in header  ::) All I had to do was actually click on their homepage to see that. The next story after Palins is "Nancy Grace charged with Murder".

Look I'm no fan of Palins, but when people post stuff like this, on either side, and spread it as fact...yes "This speaks volumes as to why we are where we are"

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:56:12 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Habersham

« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2013, 10:35:58 am »
So Nancy Grace strangled her college roommate with chicken wire. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Because I Can

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2013, 10:47:19 am »
Thanks Willy . You heard it here , Willy sez Nancy Grace is a chicken wire murderess .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2013, 08:47:21 am »
Political satire is nothing new so the dainty ladies here need to stop clutching their pearls. And I don't mean BennieBen Franklin this time either, I mean Horace the Roman (65-8 BCE).

However, there's a difference between obvious satire (The Onion) and a legitimate news source (Fox) which isn't really satire at all, but simply disinformation. There is a fine line, one which inhabitants of trailer parks aren't sharp enough to get.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2013, 06:52:29 pm »
My brother in Law listens to Mrs Michael Strange on the radio, it took me a couple off hours listening for the awful truth to dawn.

The program was not Satire.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline bocker3

« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2013, 07:42:17 am »

M

OK -- I did finally hear from Cantor's office.  Got a letter in the mail.  "Thank you for writing and sharing your views with me........."  It goes on to explain what a Continuing Resolution is and that the one did pass and debt ceiling raised (thank goodness that I have his office to keep me abreast of recent news).
He ends with "please let me know if you would like us to keep you up to date on what is happening in Congress" (NOW I understand why newspapers are struggling -- Congressional aides have taken over as news providers.
No real response to my points, which is not at all surprising.  However, I was surprised that he took the time to have an aide print out a form letter and mail it to me.

M

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2013, 07:45:29 am »
OK -- I did finally hear from Cantor's office.  Got a letter in the mail.  "Thank you for writing and sharing your views with me........."  It goes on to explain what a Continuing Resolution is and that the one did pass and debt ceiling raised (thank goodness that I have his office to keep me abreast of recent news).
He ends with "please let me know if you would like us to keep you up to date on what is happening in Congress" (NOW I understand why newspapers are struggling -- Congressional aides have taken over as news providers.
No real response to my points, which is not at all surprising.  However, I was surprised that he took the time to have an aide print out a form letter and mail it to me.

M

I email Senator Jeff Sessions and he always writes back and I hate it , it actually pisses me off more when I hear what he has to say .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.