Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:47:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 603
Total: 603

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: ARS and testing  (Read 6337 times)

Offline radwan

ARS and testing
« on: April 24, 2008, 02:55:25 am »
I had unprotected sex with a girl...after about 18 days I came down with a sore throat and a fever..the fever lasted for some days and the throat lasted for 12 days...I did a test 3 days after the symptoms started (3 weeks after exposure).It was Ag/Ab test and it came negative. I made another test 2 weeks after symptoms started (32 days after exposure) and it also came back negative. Also it was Ag/Ab. I know that this is not conclusive but can I at least say that my symptoms were not ARS? If I had ARS wouldnt the p24 or antibodies show on any of the tests?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: ARS and testing
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 07:47:35 am »
Any negative test result is a happy thing. However, the only one that ultimately counts is a negative HIV test at 13 weeks. That's when you get your reliable result.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4- 6 weeks after a risky incident. Unprotected intercourse definitely is one such. Symptoms are never a reliable barometer of HIV status. They simply resemble those caused by too many other illnesses. There is nothing HIV specific about any of yours. I will say ARS don't come in stops and starts. When they occur they happen all at once, last a week or two and are gone.

HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It is significantly harder to accomplish from female to male. Given this was a single incident the odds are in your favor that you're going to ultimately test negative. However, low risk is not the same thing as no risk. You need to learn from this experience. When you have unprotected intercourse you are putting your life at risk. It's as simple and as stark as that.

You can have all the vaginal or anal intercourse you like and with as many partners as you want. BUT you must wear a latex condom everytime. No exceptions.

Good luck with your 13 week test. I expect you will likely come out of it ok. If your symptoms persist that's something to discuss with your doctor.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline radwan

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:38:16 am »
Hello again

Thanks for your help last time Andy.

I was eating a sandwich the other day and I noticed blood on it. I directly stopped eating it and put my finger and toached the blood. The blood was not dry. It may have been my blood but I am not sure. In case it wasnt my blood, was I at risk if I had eaten some bites with blood on the sandwich ? do I need to test for this? I think the sandwich was left for about 10 minutes before I ate it.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 06:07:24 am »
You do not contract HIV from eating. It wouldn't matter if there were blood on the sandwich not. HIV does not stay active outside its host.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:13:44 am »
OK, frankly this is just HIV jitters nuttiness. Really. If you haven't already read our lesson on Transmission you need to do that. Or re-read it. HIV is a fragile virus and not easily transmitted and certainly not on surfaces like food, doorknobs, nicks from haircuts and such.

Get off of that slippery slope or you are going to be driving yourself nutz with all kinds of totally unwarranted fears. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline radwan

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 01:10:17 am »
Hello again

I am worried since when I saw the blood I touched it with my hands and it was still wet and not dry and as I read this means that the virus is not deavtivated yet. Should I be concerened?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 02:11:30 am »
No, you should not be concerned. You cannot contract HIV by touching blood, wet or dry,

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and follow the links to our Lessons to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

MtD

Offline radwan

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 03:36:59 am »
It is not that I touched it, I was eating the sandwich before I saw the blood and I am afraid that I ate viable HIV and now I am infected....please help

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 04:28:30 am »
You do not contract HIV from eating. It wouldn't matter if there were blood on the sandwich not. HIV does not stay active outside its host.

You have already been given your answer by RapidRod...now go and read the welcome thread that Matty pointed you to.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 08:08:42 am »
Knock! Knock! Is anybody there listening! This is TOTAL NONSENSE with absolutely no basis in HIV science.

You could have rolled your face in it, dipped your fingers and eaten it. You've been repeatedly told there wouldn't be any risk of transmission in that kind of situation. None whatsoever. HIV is a fragile virus and cannot remain viable in that setting so it wouldn't matter if the sandwich was dipped in blood ketchup. Really.

And if you continue to press this issue you're going to get a time out. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline radwan

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 01:31:00 am »
Hello again

After reading the last replies I am now sure that I didnt contract HIV from the sandwich. But being as unlucky as I am, I had another risk that I totally didnt plan or have any hand in ! I was cutting my hair at the barber shop and I was closing my eyes andrelaxing as he was doing his job. Whe I opened my eyes, I was horrified to see that his hands had some blood on them and on the scissors as well. I asked him from where did the blood come and he said that he cut himself a bit as he was cleaning the scissors. Now I dont have any open wounds on my head or ears or neck (the places he was touching) but I cant be sure. what kind of open wound is necessary for transmission to occur? Was I at any sort of risk? My wedding is in 17 days and I am getting married to an amazing girl so I can not afford to infect her if I am indeed infected. Also I dont have enough time to test since the wedding is too soon....what are your thoughts??

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 03:23:49 am »

what kind of open wound is necessary for transmission to occur?

If the hairdresser had cut off his finger leaving a large gaping bleeding wound and, if he was HIV+ and, if he had he taken out a large chunk from your scalp...then maybe, just maybe you would have something to worry about...but seeing as this was not the case then you have nothing to worry about now do you.

You cannot become infected from a small cut on the hairdressers hand, but I think you know this already ..and if you don't then you need to read the welcome thread again..and again until you get it and understand how HIV is transmitted.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline radwan

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 03:40:58 am »
Thank you Jan.

So are u sure I am ok? Can I sleep with my soon to be wife unprotected ? (she is a virgin and HIV free)..

What if I had a scratch or a wmall wound in my head that I didnt know about? wouldnt his blood enter my bloodstream?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 06:34:42 am »
Yes Jan is sure you didn't have a risk.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 07:58:47 am »
No more what ifs, fella. Your HIV hysteria is not something we can treat here. If you can't let go of fixating on this litany of what if worries then I suggest you give yourself  pre-wedding gift and talk with a therapist or other professional about these fears. They have absolutely no basis in HIV science and it would be a good thing for your marriage to work on clearing them away.

We can't do that for you here. 
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.