Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:53:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773187
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 262
Total: 265

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recent bloodwork questions  (Read 3120 times)

Offline HIV? poz about being neg

Recent bloodwork questions
« on: June 04, 2014, 07:45:40 pm »
Hi guys question regarding my latest bloodwork I have been on Atripla since April 2010 and undetectable since December 2010. The question I have is I was looking at my test results and the CD8 Abs is 1340 and should be between 160 - 1020
And my CD4/CD8 Ratio is 0.56 and should be between 0.69 - 5.00
Should I be concerned about the high CD8 and the low CD4/CD8 ratio?

My current CD4 is 750 at 29% and Undetectable.
Jan/25/07 VL > 100 000 CD4 480 21%
Apr/13/10     Started Atripla
May/11/10    VL !! 300 !!     CD4 520
Jul/15/10      VL    75          CD4 400   27%
Dec/20/10    VL UD             CD4 390 28%
Jan/10/12    VL UD              CD4 670 28%
Mar/31/14    VL UD              CD4 580 37%
May/27/14    VL UD              CD4 750
29%
Aug/18/14    Chemo HGL
Nov/10/14    VL UD               CD4 750
38%
Nov/25/14  Started Truvada with Tivicay

Offline elf

Re: Recent bloodwork questions
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:57:15 pm »

My current CD4 is 750 at 29% and Undetectable.
This is the most important part.

CD4:CD8 ratio may return to normal values,
or may not, but it's not something you should stress yourself over too much,
it's just a marker of persistent immuno-activity to now non-replicating virus.
Clinically speaking, it can be compared to mild autoimmunity.

(The same happens in parasitic infection called leishmaniosis,
even when patients are cured [cleard from it] their immune cells
are still hyperactive as if the parasite were still present, and it's
a form of mild autoimmunity).

My numbers are similar to yours,
and I have ''reversed'' CD4:CD8 ratio,
but I guess I'll have to live with it,
It hasn't gone down in 6 years of me being positive and taking meds.

My CD4:CD8 is lower even when my CD4 are high (around 1300,
my normal range is wide: 600-1400), this would mean my ratio could only get in the normal range
if my CD4 were >2200 .

You can find interesting articles on the ratio here:
http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=wuqpqrAAAAAJ&hl=en

The CD4/CD8 ratio in HIV-infected subjects is independently associated with T-cell activation despite long-term viral suppression

The CD4/CD8 ratio as a marker T-cell activation, senescence and activation/exhaustion in treated HIV-infected children and young adults

The CD4: CD8 ratio is associated with markers of age‐associated disease in virally suppressed HIV‐infected patients with immunological recovery
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:07:43 pm by elf »

Offline elf

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 12:53:38 am »
Predictors of CD4:CD8 Ratio Normalization and Its Effect on Health Outcomes in the Era of Combination Antiretroviral Therapy

We have examined the potential role of the CD4:CD8 ratio as a marker of immune status, in particular as a measure of immune recovery on cART. We found that CD4:CD8 ratio normalization occurs rarely; even after several years of cART. Failure to normalize CD4:CD8 ratio was not associated with an increased risk for ADIs/death provided HIV was well controlled. Future studies should determine if this marker of persistent immune dysfunction is relevant to non-AIDS outcomes such as risk for cardiovascular disease and cancer.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0077665

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 05:03:18 am »
CD4:CD8 normalization is not that rare...

reading a chart that I have on top of my head and not on this PC, ca. 10-15 % will have a normalized ratio at year 4 of treatment and 30-40% at year 7, when it seems to plateau.

So CD4:CD8 normalization , defined as CD4:CD8 > 1, should be around 30% in most clinics

Studies are undecided whether or not there is an attached clinical importance. (here again, I am not in front of my own PC...): some say yes, some no, so ... if there is a role is is most likely minimal and secondary

I go with the vizualisation that some activation remains, which others call inflammation. This activated state is not bad, but, of course, one would like it better if it where not there.

I have never worried to much about it

If ratio goes >1 it may flicker there for a while

Once it goes > 1.2, it usually stays > 1.2 (but may vary)

I have mapped my own ratio progression and you will find it at:
www.tinyurl.com/HIVPharmaCure

go way down, I think on the lower section of page 3

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline elf

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 12:46:17 pm »
30% is still infrequent (and most of these ''lucky'' ones are those who started taking therapy at higher numbers, that is when their CD4/CD8 ratio was 0.5 or higher).

I started taking meds at CD4 of 353 (CD4/CD8 ratio of  0.19, extremely low)

My CD4/CD8 ratio is stuck at 0.8,
it's not because my CD4 number is low (my CD4 is 1000+/-250)
but because my CD8 number is too high.

I remember Miss P. once wrote here, that in order to get stubborn CD4/CD8 ratio up,
one should take Fuzeon, for at least a year.

If Fuzeon does indeed help, that means, failure to achieve normal CD4/CD8 values, while undetected on therapy,
is due to  subclinical replication of virus.

Given that my doctors think my numbers are excellent (which I consider utter nonsense), I will get my lab results done only once a year (a cost saving measure). So, I won't be able to track my CD4/CD8 dynamics any more. :(

My only hope is fluvoxamine-boosted melatonin, which lowers inflammation/IL-6 and slows down immunosenescence.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 01:18:36 pm by elf »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.