Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:14:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 222
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 187
Total: 187

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: People Who Believe God Spared Them  (Read 10146 times)

Offline tednlou2

People Who Believe God Spared Them
« on: April 27, 2010, 02:15:04 am »
For religious people, I understand the thinking that God is looking out for you.  However, I find it so offensive after a car accident, natural or man-made disaster when people say God saved them and must have a plan for them.  It is so offensive to the families who lost people.  We hear people say this all the time.  If you are sick and believe God gave you strength, then that is one thing.  To say God spared you for some bigger plan while letting others die is just a mental illness.

I was watching the "Today Show" this morning and this man made me sick.  I can't believe they didn't cut him off---they interrupt everyone else all the time.  This guy, and people like him, have to be so self-centered.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/36775973#36775973

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: People Who Believe God Spared Them
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 07:13:45 am »
For religious people, I understand the thinking that God is looking out for you.  However, I find it so offensive after a car accident, natural or man-made disaster when people say God saved them and must have a plan for them.  It is so offensive to the families who lost people.  We hear people say this all the time.  If you are sick and believe God gave you strength, then that is one thing.  To say God spared you for some bigger plan while letting others die is just a mental illness.

I was watching the "Today Show" this morning and this man made me sick.  I can't believe they didn't cut him off---they interrupt everyone else all the time.  This guy, and people like him, have to be so self-centered.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/36775973#36775973

You have to understand something Ted, people of the scary religious sort think God is responsible for everything.  They somehow manage to think that when people are killed this is a good thing as they are going to heaven.  When people are spared this is also a good thing as God can do no wrong.  I just hate that this guy was in Mississippi, why couldn't he have been a Tennessean or Louisianian.  I don't find it offensive I just find it blatantly stupid.  If God was so wonderful why did he cause the tornado to destroy our feeble huts in the first place?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 07:44:34 am »

"I can't answer why those people were lost, but if they just cry out to him he'll help em."

How are they suppose to cry out Mr. Preacher Man when they're dead?

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline john33

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:54:59 am »
  If God was so wonderful why did he cause the tornado to destroy our feeble huts in the first place?

Couldn't say it better

Offline ds4146

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:22:53 am »
If you listen to the complete interview, he states that his injuries were three scratches on the thumb and carpet burn.....you have to wonder what the hell he was really doing under that table.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:28:07 am »
If true believers believe that God has a plan, well let em believe that.  In personal and social life, avoid them if it offends.  Its inexcusable at the level of government policy - if its set in accordance with "God's Plan". 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 10:23:13 am »
What if the Lord was gunning for him and just missed?  This time.   :)
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 10:45:52 am »
What if the Lord was gunning for him and just missed?  This time.   :)

^ this man is a genius

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 10:53:47 am »
What if the Lord was gunning for him and just missed?  This time.   :)
lol

Well, when grasping for straws anything is pausible.  I don't think they mean to offend just to justify why they lived.  In the end, they were just luckily to be alive and that is just that.  Fk everything else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 10:58:32 am »
It all makes no sense whatsoever. When confronted such a situation I do what all true Southerns do, which is either smile or shake my head and say "Well... isn't that somethin'."

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 11:06:40 am »
It all makes no sense whatsoever. When confronted such a situation I do what all true Southerns do, which is either smile or shake my head and say "Well... isn't that somethin'."
To each his own.  Besides, this is free advertising for his church.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 11:22:19 am »
To each his own.  Besides, this is free advertising for his church.

You mean free advertising for the wreckage where his church used to stand.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 11:37:13 am »
You mean free advertising for the wreckage where his church used to stand.
lol,  Well, prayers alone wont rebuild the church.  It is now a Miracle site for the faithful and the charitable.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 03:58:11 pm »
I'm always impressed  with the zeal the Almighty displays when laying waste to his most fervent believers.

Whether it's sending a tornado whizzing through the evangelical trailer parks of the Southern US or dispatching a tsunami to flush a couple of hundred thousand muslims out into the Indian ocean, his eye for the grand scale is to be admired.

Matty the Damned heartily encourages the preacher linked to in the OP to rebuild his church so Jesus has a clear target to aim for when next he wants to bring some of the saved home to their Eternal Reward.

Glory!

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 07:00:09 pm »
I'm always impressed  with the zeal the Almighty displays when laying waste to his most fervent believers.

Whether it's sending a tornado whizzing through the evangelical trailer parks of the Southern US or dispatching a tsunami to flush a couple of hundred thousand muslims out into the Indian ocean, his eye for the grand scale is to be admired.

Matty the Damned heartily encourages the preacher linked to in the OP to rebuild his church so Jesus has a clear target to aim for when next he wants to bring some of the saved home to their Eternal Reward.

Glory!

MtD

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times..you will never get into heaven Matty....and if you did it would only be because the "Big Fella" loves your wicked sense of humor...I hope I'm with you when the time comes because I would certainly miss it.. ;D

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 09:20:42 pm »

Glory!

MtD
i get it.  Fuck'em all and let God decide. 

Offline ademas

Offline Etay1207

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 10:09:54 pm »
I watched the link of the today show.  It's really sad.  Why would God save him and not the mother with 2 children? Maybe she wasn't "saved from a devil's hell" so God doesn't like her. 

Being in the church I come across this way of thinking alot.  If someone doesn't get financing for a house they would say that it wasn't in God's will for them to get the house.  To which I reply, "No, you didn't get financing because your credit is bad and you have no money". 

A good friend of mine said that she was happy with two kids, but when she found herself pregnant a third time she realized it was God's will for her to have another baby.  Call me stupid! If you have sex with your husband, pregnancy may result!
POZ since 1999
1/07 tcells: 530 vl: 72,922 7/07 tcells: 542 vl: 26,577
9/08 tcells: 339 vl: 56,120  7/09 tcells: 267 vl: 663,160
11/09 tcells: 71 vl: 498,670 2/10 tcells: 52 vl: 322,000
 no meds and feeling great!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 10:19:58 pm »
I watched the link of the today show.  It's really sad.  Why would God save him and not the mother with 2 children? Maybe she wasn't "saved from a devil's hell" so God doesn't like her. 

Being in the church I come across this way of thinking alot.  If someone doesn't get financing for a house they would say that it wasn't in God's will for them to get the house.  To which I reply, "No, you didn't get financing because your credit is bad and you have no money". 

A good friend of mine said that she was happy with two kids, but when she found herself pregnant a third time she realized it was God's will for her to have another baby.  Call me stupid! If you have sex with your husband, pregnancy may result!

Reminds me of the sage words of Epicurus:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

MtD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 10:21:37 pm »
Being in the church I come across this way of thinking alot.
Amen to all that Etay.

After 8 years in a baptist high school and 3 more yrs in a baptist college, I haven't gone back since. The hypocrisy, stupidity and irresponsibility of most "christians" was enough to make me know I didn't want anything more to do with their "religion" or any other.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Etay1207

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 10:27:43 pm »
Leatherman: I feel the same way. I would leave the church if it wasn't for the good music.  Have you ever been to a black church? There's nothing like it.  It's a party every Sunday morning!
POZ since 1999

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 10:42:57 pm »
Have you ever been to a black church? There's nothing like it.  It's a party every Sunday morning!

I have and it gives me a raging headache to be honest.  I've also gone on New Year's Eve, which was interesting.  Once the clock struck twelve I was on the floor.  The gun fire was so bad!  I do have a question for you though, why do the little old ladies say, "Weeelll", everytime the preacher ends a sentence?  What is that?  When I first started going I thought maybe they were bored and wanted it to finish as badly as I did....   I don't know what it's all about, but it  throws me off when I am trying to receive the message.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 11:15:57 pm »
  I have and it gives me a raging headache to be honest.  I've also gone on New Year's Eve, which was interesting.  Once the clock struck twelve I was on the floor.  The gun fire was so bad!  I do have a question for you though, why do the little old ladies say, "Weeelll", everytime the preacher ends a sentence?  What is that?  When I first started going I thought maybe they were bored and wanted it to finish as badly as I did....   I don't know what it's all about, but it  throws me off when I am trying to receive the message.

Frankly, "Amen" and "Hallelujah" get old so they had to add another phrase to spice up the mix a bit.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 11:49:21 pm »
I was just reading about Joyce Meyer.  She is one of those pastors who beg and beg for money saying God will bless you.  This includes Paula White, Rod Parsley, Creflo Dollar (name says it all) and the pastor from Lakewood Church, Joel Olsteen.  I think they call it prosperity religion.  They are all living large like an episode of MTV Cribs with million dollar homes, NYC penthouses, private jets.

Joyce Meyer has her whole family on the church payroll.  Besides other homes, they have a huge compound.  Below is info on her and issues she's run into about the money and taxes.   

http://www.gospelassemblyfree.com/facts/falseprophets.htm

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 11:56:51 pm »
Hey don't shitbag Dr Dollar!

MtD
(Who thinks Creflo A. Dollar is the dog's bollocks)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 12:19:23 am »
Frankly, "Amen" and "Hallelujah" get old so they had to add another phrase to spice up the mix a bit.

Gotcha..  I used to attend this church with my first ex-wife.  While I didn't go all the time, I swear when I did the surmon was always against me. To make matters worse, after the minister delivered his  surmon and had everyone fired up and ready to kill me, he would stare at my ex's ass (she had booty) as we left.  Talk about a powerless feeling... shit almost made me wanna smoke crack!! :D :D

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 12:38:53 am »
I was just reading about Joyce Meyer.  She is one of those pastors who beg and beg for money saying God will bless you.  This includes Paula White, Rod Parsley, Creflo Dollar (name says it all) and the pastor from Lakewood Church, Joel Olsteen.  I think they call it prosperity religion.  They are all living large like an episode of MTV Cribs with million dollar homes, NYC penthouses, private jets.

Joyce Meyer has her whole family on the church payroll.  Besides other homes, they have a huge compound.  Below is info on her and issues she's run into about the money and taxes.   

Religious leaders taking advantage of their position?  Unheard of! Quelle horreur! 

Just ask Reverend Moon.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 12:42:37 am »
but it throws me off when I am trying to receive the message.
and amen to that Skeebo!
lordy, if my nice quiet fundamental baptist and methodists were too much for me (no shouted "amens" in my church, thank you), I just don't think I could take the pentecostals or a black church. :D i expect religion (if there's any truth in it) to be serious and cerebral, so no hootin' or hollerin' for me. ;)

of course, I don't begrudge anyone their religious views though. If the party every Sunday morning gives you comfort and peace, Etay, then more power to you. ;) Having lost two partners (and as I recently mentioned to you, almost upon the 2nd anniversary of Jim's death), heaven knows I've spent a lot of time wondering about the afterlife and trying to find peace and solace for my own soul.

And so I label myself an agnostic. If I can't shake my christian upbringing, I can at least put it into it's proper perspective. God isn't too blame for anything that happens in my life (be it deaths, tornados, or winning the lottery) nor does he answer any of my prayers (aren't all prayers simply requests of the almighty motivated by selfishness?) My life is simply what it is, and it's mine to live. If I live it waiting/hoping for a mystical father figure to solve my problems, that's time that I should have been working on my own solutions to my problems. As I often tell people it takes hard work and patience to change things in your life. Sitting on your duff hoping god fixes it or blaming god when it all goes wrong, doesn't move your life forward and garners nothing but negative feelings.

To say God spared you for some bigger plan while letting others die is just a mental illness.
I totally agree. according to this guy, god's bigger plan is for him to just talk on TV (to spread the word about hell) rather than actual "do" anything like feed the homeless, adopt those orphaned family members, clean up the rubble (as evidenced by his clean clothes) or anything like real "christian" acts.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 12:46:11 am »
  Unheard of! Quelle horreur! 

Hey!! stop with the Nazi rhetoric!!!  besides spell check says you spelled it wrong!

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 01:12:02 am »
Maybe Dean and Sam in Supernatural knows why? Even the Angels there are rebelling.  ;)
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 01:34:24 am »
I've talked about the family member who I believe is actually a Lesbian and trying to pray the gay away.  Last summer, she and I got into a huge fight about gay marriage.  Anyway, I posted the same video and remarks on my facebook page that I posted here.  Below is her response to me and my response to her.  Did I go overboard?  She brings up my nephew who recently ended up in the hospital with a cracked skull after a tree limb fell on him.  She was trying to make an emotional argument with me where I would be forced to say, "No, God wasn't watching out for him."  Also, notice how she says she didn't watch the video.  She, and others like her, want to believe what they believe and not look at anything that goes against that. 

Her Reply on Facebook:

God has spared me from alot! I am forever thankful to him for all he has done for me in my life. I did not watch the video so I cannot comment on that. Nobody knows why some people die and others live. That is where our faith comes into play. Just like Gregory, you can't tell me that God didn't have his hand on him the day the tree swing broke...

My Reply:

Melissa, you are right. No one knows why some people live while others die. It all comes down to luck. It is offensive to say God spared you for some greater purpose while letting some little girl get crushed by a car. When people say things like this, they are basically saying God didn't care about the girl but I must be special to Him.

If you watched the video, he didn't say God spared him to feed the poor or adopt the orphans. He said it was to warn people about the fires of Hell. I don't even want to bring Greg into this, but since you did-- what do you say about another kid who died from a tree limb? She wasn't worth saving? God needed her in Heaven? I just find it very self-centered and an insult to families who weren't as lucky. If God really has a hand in these things, why didn't we see people survive the fall from the Twin Towers on 9/11? Why didn't we see people survive jumping out of the windows? It is one thing to believe God has given you strength to get through something. It is ridiculous to believe God spared you when you would have died if He hadn't intervened.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 03:50:44 am »
I have scaled WAY BACK on getting into religious arguments. I mean, I can more easily argue Star Trek - even when what is canon and what is not is unclear.

As wonderful and loving and compassionate and giving as many humans are, we certainly have invented a slew of total motherfuckers for Gods. I mean seriously.

You want to see the most realistic portrayal of God on television? Watch Teletubbies reruns. Where they show the sun (God) as a baby. Laughing, shrieking at odd intervals, being cranky for no reason. That capricious sun-baby? Yeah, I went to his church for fifteen years. That's the real deal.

Screw all that. Be nice to one another. Do good things because they are good things, not to hold off fire or earthquake, not to win a spot in some celestial choir. Be a good person because it's the right thing to do, because if you do it for Heavenly Reward or approval, then you are a psycho-sociopath.

What happens after we die is anyone's guess. I am not arrogant enough to presume that nothing else exists, that our energy defies Newtonian Law and simply disappears. I also spend precious little time pondering what golden chariot I ride through what field of grapes or whatnot. My little monkeybrain can no more adequately ponder what lies beyond than it can contemplate the capricious universe that so gleefully kills the best and the brightest when they are in full bloom, leaving us dregs to look after the place.

I find my comfort, what little I have, in knowing that I love as well as I can, I do not good than harm on a given day, and that this Universe is far too intricate for me to understand the scope of it's tapestry. I do not confront nor do I deliberately engage the spiritual, the religious, whomever. I have my own fictions to defend. I just do them, more or less, in the privacy of my own black heart.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Etay1207

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 12:09:37 pm »
Skeebo: they yell back at the preacher in alot of black churches. I guess blacks are a little more vocal. Black pastors look for the feedback from the congregation and when people don't yell in agreement it is seen almost as disrespect. It's a cultural thing. Y'all whitties just won't understand. Hehe

I, myself, am agnostic. I didn't know it until I read a book on agnostics a few years ago. My beliefs are much closer to the agnostics than to the Christian. Even though agnostics are christian. They just aren't brainwashed by the Catholics. Oops, did I say that? That's another reason why I attend the church I do. Even though my church is  Christian, we are allowed to question the Bible when it doesn't make sense.
POZ since 1999

Offline MarkB

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 01:08:25 pm »
The Damned One has the goods on the Epicurean Riddle, although his quote is closer to David Hume's formulation of it (see William Hart Evil: A Primer (2004), pp. 28-9).

I also like the oft-quoted "Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going?"

;)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 01:56:06 pm »
Skeebo: they yell back at the preacher in alot of black churches. I guess blacks are a little more vocal. Black pastors look for the feedback from the congregation and when people don't yell in agreement it is seen almost as disrespect. It's a cultural thing. Y'all whitties just won't understand. Hehe

To be honest I think it's my lack of understanding of religion period, or it could be that I just can't take something seriously without proof.  When I went to the whitey cracka church someone got pissed at me because I started joking around with some water by the door.  Here it is my first time there and I see everyone dabbing their finger in this little pool of water.  When it came to me I just plunged both my hands in acting like I was going to wash them.  My mother, who had just completed her classes to convert from Baptist to Catholic, looked at me with pure horror... people around me were grabbing fake beads and crap, kissing their kids head... all this over some water with dead skin cells in it. WTF!!??

Then there was the Pentacoastal.. pentacos ta.. pentagrama.. fuck some kind of church here by my house.  My wife, who is religious, wanted to find a church she could attend regularly so I said I would go.. like an idiot of course.  Fucking people looked like they were crossbred for God knows how many generations, and this was very easy to see when the preacher talked because they would rock back and forth mumbling something I couldn't understand...  The place scared the shit out of me and I fully expected Leatherface from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre to come busting through the wall at any minute.

My wife eventually found a church of her liking.  It's one of those open denomination churches... you know the "if I had a hammer I'd swing it in the morning" and "I'm leaving on a jet plane" type places.  Preacher tells some stories from the bible with his own little twist... it's all good to her and stuff I just don't really get.  While I do feel at peace in the place, I only attended one service and that was about 2 years ago.  My wife, on the otherhand, attends service every Sunday.

I am more of a spiritual person.. if I want to be close to my God on a Sunday morning I'll go down to the water with my fishing pole.  As the sun comes up and beams down on my skin I'll catch my first fish... and just maybe.. maybe mind you, if God exists he'll watch me rip the gills out of the fish while it'still alive with a joyous look on my face.  Can I get a big AMEN?!?!

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 11:51:20 pm »
  To be honest I think it's my lack of understanding of religion period, or it could be that I just can't take something seriously without proof.  When I went to the whitey cracka church someone got pissed at me because I started joking around with some water by the door.  Here it is my first time there and I see everyone dabbing their finger in this little pool of water.  When it came to me I just plunged both my hands in acting like I was going to wash them.  My mother, who had just completed her classes to convert from Baptist to Catholic, looked at me with pure horror... people around me were grabbing fake beads and crap, kissing their kids head... all this over some water with dead skin cells in it. WTF!!??

Then there was the Pentacoastal.. pentacos ta.. pentagrama.. fuck some kind of church here by my house.  My wife, who is religious, wanted to find a church she could attend regularly so I said I would go.. like an idiot of course.  Fucking people looked like they were crossbred for God knows how many generations, and this was very easy to see when the preacher talked because they would rock back and forth mumbling something I couldn't understand...  The place scared the shit out of me and I fully expected Leatherface from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre to come busting through the wall at any minute.

My wife eventually found a church of her liking.  It's one of those open denomination churches... you know the "if I had a hammer I'd swing it in the morning" and "I'm leaving on a jet plane" type places.  Preacher tells some stories from the bible with his own little twist... it's all good to her and stuff I just don't really get.  While I do feel at peace in the place, I only attended one service and that was about 2 years ago.  My wife, on the otherhand, attends service every Sunday.

I am more of a spiritual person.. if I want to be close to my God on a Sunday morning I'll go down to the water with my fishing pole.  As the sun comes up and beams down on my skin I'll catch my first fish... and just maybe.. maybe mind you, if God exists he'll watch me rip the gills out of the fish while it'still alive with a joyous look on my face.  Can I get a big AMEN?!?!

AMEN!! 

Offline alliance

• hmmmm. . .
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 12:21:12 am »
AMEN Skeebo.

this dont look like a bad fishin hole to me, although Im not sure how welcome I would be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ZT5sajkys
God is trying to tell you something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsvK8WCPj1Y
Miss Celies blues

two of my favorite songs. . .
"The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality."
10/10/12   CD4=378  %=32   VL=UD
5/10/12     CD4=426  %=32  VL=UD
11/15/11   CD4=296  %=29  VL=UD(20)
6/15/11     CD4=345  %=29  VL=UD(38)
3/15/11     CD4=317  %=31  VL=UD
12/1/10     CD4=315  %=28  VL=UD
8/11/10     CD4=250  %=25  VL=UD
6/10/10     CD4=380  %=24  VL=UD
3/4/10       CD4=340  %=22   VL=UD
1/11/10     CD4=312  %=22   VL =130
11/30/09   CD4=228  %=19  VL=1726
11/20/09    started atripla
10/15/09   CD4=281  %=18   VL=85,000

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 03:32:16 am »
Spiritual people. Ick. Almost as grating as the fat goth chick who likes to leave the impression she might be bisexual by telling everyone she meets that she has "her own sexuality".

This sort of stuff might seem innocuous or even enlightened but really it's not much different to what the lunatic in the OP is spouting.

At least he has the wontons to wear a label.

MtD

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010, 09:20:29 am »
Spiritual people. Ick. Almost as grating as the fat goth chick who likes to leave the impression she might be bisexual by telling everyone she meets that she has "her own sexuality".

This sort of stuff might seem innocuous or even enlightened but really it's not much different to what the lunatic in the OP is spouting.

At least he has the wontons to wear a label.

MtD

Or almost as bad as one of those rare, judgemental atheists with a mental cross to bear.  I'll be honest, if I was highly educated like you I would be pissed to.  I mean all the education in the world didn't stop you from being stuck here in front of a terminal daily having to deal with us less thans..  This has got to be a serious blow to your ego.... but hey go ahead, you can talk in the third person now.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 09:27:40 am »
ummm ... Don't look now but Jesus is coming .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline veritas

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2010, 09:51:55 am »
 Or almost as bad as one of those rare, judgemental atheists with a mental cross to bear.  I'll be honest, if I was highly educated like you I would be pissed to.  I mean all the education in the world didn't stop you from being stuck here in front of a terminal daily having to deal with us less thans..  This has got to be a serious blow to your ego.... but hey go ahead, you can talk in the third person now.

Let's leave the ire directly squarely at the religious where it belongs.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 09:30:45 am »
ummm ... Don't look now but Jesus is coming .

......... and boy is she Pissed!
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.