Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:28:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 405
Total: 405

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: swollen nodes after risky mistake  (Read 31715 times)

Offline scaredandneedhelp

swollen nodes after risky mistake
« on: March 22, 2007, 08:59:59 pm »
Hi,
I am a 21 year old male and I had a brief unprotected encounter with a female of unknown status and I got chlamydia form her and she bled. This took place on January 13 2007. At 7 1/2 weeks I had cold chills on my arms for a couple of days and a pain in the back of my neck which i'm sure was the lymph node. Now I have swollen lymph nodes under my chin and i'm very scared that it's hiv. I haven't had any test yet i'm scheduled to do so next Thursday. The swollen lymph nodes only seem to be in my neck. Can someone asses my situation.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: swollen nodes after risky mistake
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:09:52 pm »
Scared, neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about our HIV status.

I'm assuming from your description of the incident that you had unprotected intercourse, either vaginal or anal. If that's the case then only an HIV test can reliably tell you about your HIV status. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the virus.

HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly harder to accomplish from female to male. Given you had a single possible exposure the odds are in your favor against transmission having occured.

And LEARN from this experience. Anytime you have intercourse, vaginal or anal, you always need to be wearing a latex condom. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Assuming you test negative you should re-test at 13 weeks which is what the CDC recommends. If you test negative as is likely, then it's even more likely you will test negative again at 13 weeks.

As for your symptoms, you should discuss them with your doctor. There is absolutely nothing that is HIV specific in what you have described.

Good luck on your test.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 01:04:34 am »
Andy,
Yes it was unprotected it was my first and last time ever doing something so stupid. It was vaginal only for about about 1 1/2 minutes maybe then i turned on the lights and saw the blood so we stopped. i realize female to male is more difficult but like I said she gave me chlamydia so that raises the chances if she had hiv.

My glands are swollen and I can't see anything else it could be from. I don't feel sik otherwise so I doubt its anything else that cause swollen glands.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 08:18:24 am »
Scared, fortunately feelings aren't facts. So just because your head keeps on practicing medicine on you without a license doesn't mean it's so. Swollen glands happen for all sorts of reasons.

The odds are still significantly in your favor against transmission having occured.

Stay productively busy during the waiting period and you will be surprised how quickly the time can pass. Really.

Andy Velez

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 06:31:42 pm »
Im very confused about all the information i'm getting. My symptoms started showing up at 7 1/2 weeks of my last sexual encounter. And most places say the seroconversion illness usually takes place within the first 2 to 4 weeks(some say 6 weeks) from exposure. A nurse i talked to on the phone at a local health unit said 7 1/2 weeks was to early for symptoms. What should i believe ?

And does flu like symptoms always accompany symptoms ? I've only had the cold chills on my arms for a few days. But the lymph nodes in my neck are still swollen.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 06:53:25 pm »
Perhaps the nurse meant symptoms of the sort when someone has been HIV+ for a lengthy  period of time (years) and begins to symptoms associated with an impaired immune system. But otherwise as far as ARS is concerned, that would likely appear around two weeks or so.

However, not everyone has really noticeable ARS symptoms. Usually they do but it's not rare for someone to only realize after testing positive that when they had some mild symptoms a while back THAT was ARS.

The symptoms you're experiencing are absolutely in no way HIV specific. Discuss them with your doctor.

As I have said previously, the odds remain in your favor that you're going to come out of this ok.

I strongly recommend that you stop calling clinics and otherwise searching around for (mis)information. All it will do is feed your anxiety without giving you any conclusive answers. Your HIV test will give you that and I do expect your result will be negative.

Now, how about getting productively busy with other things in your life. It sure will help to pass the waiting time more with less difficulty. Really.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 08:34:25 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 08:09:26 pm »
I don't think she meant that because she said it can take as long as 6 months for symptoms to show up but if she was wrong am i possibly outside of the window period for symptoms ?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 08:37:02 pm »
Well, WHATEVER she meant is irrelevant and who knows.

It would be extremely unlikely that you would be experiencing ARS at 7.5 weeks after a possible exposure. Beyond unusual. And I believe you are worrying yourself needlessly.

Get productively busy with other things. Really. And don't tell me how hard that is to do. I know. But you can do it and at the end of the day I expect you to come out of this ok.

I also suggest you discuss those symptoms with your doctor.

Andy Velez

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 06:13:11 pm »
I jusy read that swollen Posterior cervical lymphadenopathy (lymph nodes on back of neck) are uncommon and usually due to viral infection. This is where my neck fist started hurting a couple weeks ago. Now they only hurt every once and a while and I havent felt any swelling just pain back there. but I do feel them under my chin and near my pulse. I'm so scared i just know this will not turn out good.

This has never happened before.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 07:59:20 pm »
Stop practicing medicine on yourself without a license. It's bad for your health.

With a negative at 7.5 weeks and all of the other factors considered I still expect you will test negative.

Instead of feeling sorry for yourself get productively busy in your life and your waiting time will pass more quickly than you may imagine.

Andy Velez

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 10:46:01 pm »
I havent taken any test yet. I will have the first one ever this week. it really sucks because this was only my third sexual encounter and the ONLY unprotected one, something i should have never done. But i'm not practicing medicine i'm just stating what i read.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 10:51:19 pm »
But i'm not practicing medicine i'm just stating what i read.

Reading medical publications doesn't make you a doctor and you are interpreting medical documents to fit your fears. Listen to Andy, he's had decades of experience with this.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 01:06:46 am »
Im not trying to fit my fears. I had the pain in the back of my head before I read that. But I know symptoms can't tell you whether you have it or not but swollen lymph nodes is not something thats in my head. Something is wrong but I do not feel sick at all. Its just these glands that are bothering me. And thinking back to the

1) the 1 instance of diarrhea
2)cold chills on my arms for like 3 days
3)swollen lymph nodes in neck and just achy lymph nodes in arms and groin

being that i'm a person that rarely gets sick i'm sure its hiv. The female I was with vagina was bleeding and I got chlamydia from her which she is denying that she has. She said she got tested and she doesnt have it which is a lie because she is the ONLY person i've been with. So her saying she doesnt have hiv doesnt hold much weight with me.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 01:56:48 am »
Have you been to a doctor and the doctor diagnosed the swollen lymph nodes? Or are you guessing that they are swollen. Swollen lymph nodes caused by HIV, do not have pain.

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 02:18:46 am »
I went to the emergency room where i had a nurse feel them and he said they did feel swollen. They were swollen because today they have really reduced in size, I barely can feel them anymore. The ones under my neck were tender to the touch didn't hurt unless I touched them. When the back of my head was hurting that was a really bad pain, whenever I stood up I felt dizzy, that lasted about the same amount of time that the cold chills on my arm lasted and that was a couple of weeks ago. The lymph nodes are just now going down and every now and then I get a pain in my neck. I cant say if the nodes on the back of my neck were swollen because I didn't know where to feel for them.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 02:33:01 am »
More than likely the reason for them being swollen is because you were poking and pushing on them. Keep your fingers off your lymph nodes or they will stay swollen and you will cause them to hurt.

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 02:37:38 am »
Rod,
So are you saying when my lymph nodes on the back of my neck was hurting it couldn't have been due to hiv ? If so where can i get that information?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 02:38:32 am »
Google it.

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 07:25:17 pm »
Does anyone else know anything about the subject or swollen nodes caused by hiv not hurting ? The pain of mine in the back of my head is what made me start researching what was wrong with me. I never felt the back of my head swollen but there was extreme pain. I only felt actual swelling under my neck which seems to be gone now. if this information is true I'm still worried because the ones under my chin were not hurting unless I touched them.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 05:40:53 am »
scared,

All sorts of things can cause lymph glands to swell. If you're worried about yours, go see a doctor. We cannot possibly diagnose what is going on with you, only a seeing a doctor in person will give you the answers you seek. However, I can tell you that hiv does not normally cause glands to swell in only one part of the body. Hiv is an infection of the entire body, not just (for instance) the neck.

Although you do need to test, you had a very brief encounter and I'm confident you will get a negative result. Chlamydia is MUCH more easily transmitted than hiv - so stop worrying that one equals the other. It doesn't.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 07:17:10 pm »
I went take the test today and I am very scared. The nurse confirmed what she said about symptoms not showing up until 2 to 3 months after exposure and I told her i've read different online and the 2 nurses said thats what they were taught. I just thought i'd share that. But the swollen lymph nodess have gotten way smaller but i'm very scared about this test. I don't know what I will do if its positive.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 07:19:46 pm »
Why are you concerned about symptoms? I didn't have any symptoms at all never. HIV+ for 23 years of which two is with AIDS. You can't rely on symptoms. HIV has no specific symptoms.

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 07:30:09 pm »
Well yes. These symptoms are what has me getting this test in the first place. Symptoms don't happen for nothing especially lymph nodes although i've only felt them swollen in my neck. For a little while i had discomfort pain in my groin and underarm. But yes the symptoms are pretty much why i'm scared. And remember this girl gave me chlamydia so that raises the chances.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 07:33:41 pm »
Yes, and how many reasons are there for swollen lymph nodes? Just google lymph node swelling and look at all the causes.

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 07:44:32 pm »
I know there are other causes and there were other sypmtoms too. But i'm still scared another reason is because the girl i got the chlamydia from is denying she had it, said she got tested for that and hiv and both were negative. So when it comes to the hiv I dont trust her since she lying about the chlamydia. I did get it from her because shes th eonly person ive been with.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 07:49:02 pm »
Just because someone has chlamydia doesn't make them HIV+. Chlamydia is a hell of a lot easier to contract.

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 07:52:35 pm »
I know that its the fact she is denying she has it when I know she does. I dont know if shes lying about being tested or she is positive for both and dont want to tell me so if i come out positive she can say I didnt get it from her.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 07:56:21 pm »
If you were to get HIV from her, you only have yourself to blame. It was your responsibility to use a condom, which you elected not to. Don't try to place blame on anyone but yourself.

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2007, 08:01:10 pm »
Im not putting blame all i'm asking for is honesty.

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2007, 09:10:41 pm »
Is there such a hiv test where 5 tubes of blood is taken and you get the results in a week ?

edit - Can cold chills on the arms only for about 3 days be a symptom ? Or does it have to be a full blown flu or cold ?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:41:03 pm by scaredandneedhelp »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 04:33:36 am »
scared,

Results from blood tests can take anywhere from 24 hours to two weeks and sometimes more. Five tubes of blood seems excessive - but you'd have to ask the person who took your blood or ordered the test why they took so much. My crystal ball is on the blink.

There is NO point in asking us about symptoms. Symptoms or even the lack of symptoms mean nothing. Some people become so ill with seroconversion they end up in a hospital bed. Others notice nothing at all during their seroconversion. Most people fall somewhere in-between. 

And of course, we see people here all the time who have lots of symptoms, but are in fact hiv negative. Symptoms mean nothing when it comes to hiv.

As for your partner being honest, it is totally possible that she is unaware that she has chlamydia. Sometimes the tests miss it, especially with women and especially if the urine test was used. It's also possible she was infected with it AFTER her last test. Maybe you could gently impress upon her the need to re-test. Chlamydia can cause infertility in women and it's nothing to mess around with.

The bottom line here is that you need to learn from this and make sure you use condoms from now on. You have every chance of coming out of this hiv negative, but I understand you won't believe us until you see your negative results for yourself.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 12:04:54 pm »
I have learned and if im negative i won't be having sex again until im married(really). And they didn't take that much blood from me, thats what this girl said they did to her when I asked what kind of hiv test she took. Im praying she is not lying to me but i think she is. I doubt she even took a test. Wish I could get her to fax a copy of the test results.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 12:09:19 pm »
It is not HER responsibility it is YOURS.  You and you alone are responsible for your sexual health, don't place the blame or look to her for any reassurance, its rude.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 12:16:42 pm »
I know that now and have learned a lot. Im not blaming anybody I cant blame anybody but myself but im not a very experienced person when it comes to sex and didnt think but i promise if I come out of this it will never happen again.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 12:18:14 pm »
Don't make promises.  Just wear condoms.
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2007, 12:29:12 pm »
Even if the girl in question took and HIV test that is not something you ought to be  depending upon for your information. As AC has said, you are the one responsible for your own health.

Hopefully you will come out of this ok and I think there is a very good likelihood you will test negative. But only the test can finally give you that answer.

As for your idea that you will remain abstinent between now and when you may marry someday, well sometimes our head says one thing and our body says another. So even if you think not at this moment that may change. You can have a much sex as you like and with whomever you like. You just need to do it the safer way. That means always wearing a condom when you have intercourse. No exceptions.

Good luck with your test result and keep us posted.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2007, 05:10:15 pm »
Andy,
Why should I not be concerned if she is positive ?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2007, 08:22:08 pm »
scared,

Andy didn't say you should not be concerned if she is positive. He said you should not be depending on her word over whether or not she tested. You had unprotected intercourse and that means you need to test yourself. All the speculation in the world over her test will NOT tell you your own status.

As we've told you, whether or not she is positive, the odds are in your favour of testing negative because hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man.

I'm also expecting you to test negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2007, 08:27:19 pm »
Thanks for the reply Ann. But all I keep thinking about are my lymph nodes and those arm chills that lasted a few days. I know many other things can cause those but i rarely get sick and just so happens both of these thing happen within the window period for symptoms.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2007, 04:48:59 am »
Did you have a temp over 102 for over a week? Of course you didn't or that would be one of the first things you would have told us. If you don't have a high temp then you didn't have ARS. As you've been told over and over again, symptoms or lack of is not an indication of HIV or a way to tell if one is positive. Only a reliable test done at the correct time is the ONLY way to find out your status.

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2007, 11:28:20 am »
Actually I never took my temperature so i dont know what my temp was. The nights when i had the chills I took Ibuprofen and the pain in my neck and the chills went away almost instantly and I felt normal until the next day. Did that for about 3 days or so and they just went away.

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2007, 07:18:22 pm »
Now I have another reason to worry. The last time I talked to the female in question she said they had to take 5 tubes of blood because she's anemic. Well when she told me that i was thinking why would they need 5 tubes just because you're anemic, but I didn't argue. But I was trying to research this and I found that anemia is high among hiv+ people. So my fears have been renewed. Before we did anything sexual she had told me that she was anemic. So if she knows she is anemic are the chances good that she really knows her own hiv status ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2007, 08:09:54 pm »
Quit looking up everything that comes to mind. They didn't take five tubes of blood just for HIV testing.

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2007, 09:09:04 pm »
Rod,
Telling me to stop researching is not working. I know it's my fault I had unprotected sex but this is my life thats in danger. I know better now not to ever make a mistake like that again. So I cant help but be scared, this is the most difficult thing ive ever been through and if can come out ok Ill never be in it again thats for sure. I cant help but reasearch.

Offline Apogee78

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2007, 12:53:52 am »
Speaking frankly, you need to go and get tested instead of trying to justify every symptom that you have had. If you have already been tested, then you need to wait until you get your results back before you jump to conclusions. I agree with the many responders above, that even though you put yourself at risk, it is highly likely that you will test negative in your case. However, the ONLY way to know for sure is getting tested.  If you test negative, then you have learned your lesson, if you test positive, then you face the facts that you did it to yourself and there is NO ONE else to blame. There is no point in trying to self diagnose yourself or expect that any one person will have the right answers for your individual situation. Additionally, you are not involved with that girls medical situation, therefore, absolute fact will only be found in your test results.  Good Luck.

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2007, 01:51:38 pm »
Im waiting on the result. I'm done with trying to guess. I've pretty much know what the test will be already(to many coincidences i don't get sick often) I'm just waiting for the confirmation(hope I dont get it). You guys have to remember that I was not only exposed to vaginal fluid but BLOOD.

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2007, 06:12:26 pm »
Is nobody responding because you guys are pretty much in agreement with me?

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2007, 06:45:34 pm »
We agree that you are waiting to get the result and that NOTHING else matters. 
RIDE!!!

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2007, 03:18:10 pm »
The lymph nodes in my neck were never noticeable by people and have gone down but they hurt (under my chin). There are like 3 there and I heard when they are several buckshot like nodes its usually viral.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2007, 03:24:57 pm »
Quit messing with your nodes.  And there are LOTS of viruses out there OTHER THAN HIV.
RIDE!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.