Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:46:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 208
Total: 208

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anti-Depression drug questions  (Read 18718 times)

Offline Iamrick

• Daily OM
Anti-Depression drug questions
« on: May 24, 2007, 04:01:36 pm »
Hi All,
  I'm curious as to what meds have helped all of you out there. I've taken effexor, lexapro, zoloft and few others in the past but I don't think they did the job for me. Therapy helped in the past and I'm trying to follow what i learned from her. But, I think about Stuff way to much. I want to stop dwelling on all these things. I've just sit around wallowing in all this depression, Over the last year I have bottled myself up in the house and I cant make myself get out to do hardly anything. I just clean the house and never get it as clean as I want. I used to be so active. I love getting outside and working in the yard or going for a walk with my dog on the trails near me but I cant even bring myself to do these things anymore. I have a Dr's appointment tomorrow and I'm going to discuss all of this with him. I wanted some input from some of you as to what meds have helped y'all the most. Thanks Rick
Happiness  keeps You Sweet,

Trials keep You  Strong,

Sorrows keep You  Human,

Failures keep You  Humble,

Success keeps You Glowing, 

But Only God/Goddess keeps You Going!

Have a Blessed Day Everyone!! Rick

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Anti-Depression drug questions
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:20:32 pm »
I take a combination of Zoloft/Celexa.  They are both SSRI's and it's unusual that two drugs from the same class work together, but it does happen.  I think I would ask the doctor for a referral to a good psychiatrist.  That's the only thing that helped me.  You really need to make yourself go out and do SOMETHING.  Just staying in all the time is like a slow suicide. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bearby

• April 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 04:33:33 pm »
I too was much like you described always sullen with myself because I had worked enough to cause myself to loose my ssd ( or ssdi as some may call it )
 WELL that was enough to  triggger a response from my psychotherapist who advised me to talk to the nurse practitioner @ the hospital I go to in accordance with her knowledge of what I had done to myself ( working my thuckass off ( ok I was working a 40 hour week ) and this was also a concern of my ever worrysome partner who got that call from the therapist about getting me on some kind of mental meds as I call them so he insisted that  I make sure I made the visit to the aforementioned nurse .
 She after an hour & a half interview with me delving into my life ( or then  lack there of )  she decided that I  ( because I was a manic depressive which now days is called a bi-polar person ) should be on prozac  or it's generic equivalent once a day and have done so for the past 3 or so years with no problem
Have you preformed your random act of kindness today ?

Offline Iamrick

• Daily OM
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 04:53:43 pm »
Betty,
  Slow suicide is what it feels like. Thats why I want to get myself out of this state of mind im in. I take zanex for anxiety and to help me sleep at night. Otherwise, I will just lay there thinking till dawn. I want to get out and do something but I dont have anyone close to hang out with and going by myself sucks. I've had enough alone time... Being in the mood i've been in makes me skiddish of meeting new people, im just going to come off like a loon. Im A VERY SHY PERSON to start with and that does not help. I cant drink or party anymore to loosen myself up. So, what the hell do I do? I turn 47 this year and im alone. I want to get out there and meet someone b4 im the old troll that I used to avoid when I was younger. I just dont want life to pass me by!!! What is the difference in a psychiatrist and a therapist?

Trials keep You  Strong,

Sorrows keep You  Human,

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 08:10:40 pm »
A psychiatrist handles the medical part of depression (i.e. prescribing the medications for depression).  A therapist can't prescribe meds, but they're the ones who listen; you know, the ones who counsel.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 06:18:00 am »
Rick,

I've been in therapy with a psychiatrist for eons (by choice) and the type is Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. What I deal with is anxiety and depression.  Two often related problems. I have tried many kinds of anti depressants and SSRIs but none worked for me at all. Maybe they would for you. I take instead a low dose sedative during the day as if and when I need it, and a higher dose at bedtime to help me sleep. It's one that won't interfere with my HIV meds of course.

Cognitive Therapy for Depression

"Psychological treatment of depression (psychotherapy) can assist the depressed individual in several ways. First, supportive counseling helps ease the pain of depression, and addresses the feelings of hopelessness that accompany depression.  Second, cognitive therapy changes the pessimistic ideas, unrealistic expectations, and overly critical self-evaluations that create depression and sustain it. Cognitive therapy helps the depressed person recognize which life problems are critical, and which are minor. It also helps him/her to develop positive life goals, and a more positive self-assessment. Third, problem solving therapy changes the areas of the person's life that are creating significant stress, and contributing to the depression. This may require behavioral therapy to develop better coping skills, or Interpersonal therapy, to assist in solving relationship problems."

On the more practical side, I have always found volunteering for a cause that interests me a good way to get out of my own skin (and out of isolation) for a few hours and out into the world again.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 09:15:54 am »

Cognitive Therapy for Depression

"Psychological treatment of depression (psychotherapy) can assist the depressed individual in several ways. First, supportive counseling helps ease the pain of depression, and addresses the feelings of hopelessness that accompany depression.  Second, cognitive therapy changes the pessimistic ideas, unrealistic expectations, and overly critical self-evaluations that create depression and sustain it. Cognitive therapy helps the depressed person recognize which life problems are critical, and which are minor. It also helps him/her to develop positive life goals, and a more positive self-assessment. Third, problem solving therapy changes the areas of the person's life that are creating significant stress, and contributing to the depression. This may require behavioral therapy to develop better coping skills, or Interpersonal therapy, to assist in solving relationship problems."

I am glad that Daniel posted the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy link and blurb, saving me the work!

I agree that CBT, in conjuction with as-needed medications, will help the majority of people co-diagnosed with HIV and depression.  CBT helps us to unlearn the irrational and erratic thinking which we have picked up from family, friends, and society regarding our illness, our sexuality, and our very being.  Instead of immediately jumping down a rabbit hole of despair when faced with a medical or emotional setback, one learns to take apart the issue and deal with chunks of it as big as one can bear--and to do so as proactively as possible.

Another therapy which I suggest to go along with CBT and to sustain one between clinical visits is developing a practice of mindfulness in the Buddhist tradition.  Before anyone lurches into an anti-religion rant, I'm not talking about a belief system at all, simply focusing on the here-and-now and how one inhabits one's body in the present.

Peace,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 12:01:52 pm »
Rick,

I've been fighting depression and anxiety since I tested +.  I didn't really associate my mood to depression for a long time.  I didn't cry a single tear when I found out my results and I haven't cried a single day since. 
I always looked at depression as being sad and I didn't "feel" sad; however, I didn't feel anything at all since that day.
I lost all my energy, I lost all my dreams.  I forgot what makes me tick.  For the last 10 years my life was home and work. 
I tried different drugs ( Prozac, Paxil, Celexa and others) but all they did was keep me numb.
I started Cymbalta about 12 weeks ago now and this seems to help.  No just my anxiety and depression but also helps with my neuropathy.
Recently I started to go out again, I joined different groups in my area and on the web.  I am getting involved in politics again, writing my senators, congressmen.  I am working with he community to bring awareness about HIV/AIDS.  I am feeling somewhat like myself again.
I stop taking Marinol and other pharmaceutical drugs that I took to fight the side effects of my HAART therapy and began treating myself naturally with cannabis. ( i am lucky to live in California).  I have energy again, I can control my nausea and appetite 100% and no more pain on my fingers and foot from the neuropathy.
I also found very helpful to talk to other people who can relate to my situation.  Knowing I am not alone made a big difference.
Hope you find what works for you.   I wish it hadn't taken me so long to finally deal with my depression, I wasted so much time!
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Iamrick

• Daily OM
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 05:31:22 pm »
Hey Ya'll,
   Well the dr's office called this morning and said the building was flooded last night and there was no electricity, so they will call me next week to reschedule.
OK, another week will pass!! :( Honestly that's OK, I will make it another week.
You've all given me some good information. It has been very helpful. I've talked with a couple of friends as well and they offered to help get me out of the house more often. Most of my friends live at least an hour away and its just hard to see them with gas prices like they are. Hell, I have not even got to see or hold my first grandchild yet. I am going with my mom and lil' sister to see him and my daughter in a couple of weeks. I'm excited about that!! I just met my daughter a couple of years ago for the first time. Her mother and I had an arrangement to (don't laugh here people ;) ) teach me HOW TO HAVE SEX. I was 22 and basically a virgin. Well, the teacher was great she taught me how to please another very well or so I'm told anyways!!!  ;) Well she got pregnant and I couldn't deal with that(i had very strict parents i never told them) so i gave up my rights to her. Her mom only kept her for a couple of years when she allowed a member of her family to adopt her. I knew i was gay and so in the closet, into drugs, totally living a lie to my family and friends. As it turned out her mom decided she was lesbian as well and had just as many issues as i did. So I didn't hear much more about her for the next 15 years. Well one day I meet her mom again and got updated on her and found out my daughter knew about me and wanted to start communicating so she wrote me a letter telling all about herself, it was so cool. Well I lost track of her mother again so no more letters. August two years ago, I was about to give my company cellphone back to my boss, I was quitting the job and ten minutes before I got to the office the phone rang and it was my daughter. I could not believe it, come to find out her mom had died and she had been trying to find me ever since. Fortunately, I had talked to some old friends earlier in the year and they had my work #. The really cool thing was that I had just had a Tarot reading days before that and was told she was coming back into my life very soon!! There's so much more to this universe than any of us know. I went way off another direction there, sorry! I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't want this depression to enter fear with my life anymore, I've got so much more to live for. I do have good days, which by the way today's one of them !! ;) I just have to stay strong and be patient with myself. Thanks Everybody!!

Trials keep You  Strong,

Sorrows keep You  Human,

Offline SirPrize

• SirPrize!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 05:36:54 pm »
One alternative to the SSRI-type antidepressants is a medication named Remeron (mirtazapine is the generic).  I had taken the SSRI's for years and found that they had simply stopped working or the side effects were unbearable.

Many people diagnosed with HIV deal with depression and anxiety but it can be manageable with therapy, support, and medications.  Remeron begins with the lowest dose of 15mgs which is taken at night before bedtime.  I found that amount to be too strong because of the somnolent effects of the drug during the next day.  To solve this problem, I cut the dosage in half and it was much more tolerable.  It helps me to sleep through the night as well as "lifts the spirit" so to speak.  One of the negative side effects (unless you are dealing with weight loss issues) is that it can make you ravenous so you really have to monitor the calorie intake.  I hope things will turn around for you soon.
Due to current economic conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily turned off!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 08:45:15 pm »
Hey Rick:
  What a great story!  You've been given a true gift to be able to reconnect with your daughter and also to meet your grandchildren!  That's a reason to go out and celebrate! :-*
Betty

Offline LT

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 06:17:41 am »
I've been on several different anti-depressants over the years.  It's not an exact science.  A drug that works perfectly for one person, may be useless to another.

It's a pain to change meds.  You have to be weaned on one before you can start another.  So it can be about a six week process till things stabilize and you know if that one has a chance of working.  Actually it's more like several months before you can defiantly say, "Nope!  Ain't woking.  NEXT!'

And for God's shake, make sure they check for interactions between your ARV's and Anti-D's.  I've had the health professionals miss that THREE times, leading me to being severely overdosed on the Anti-D's.  If your ARV regime includes Ritonavir (Norvir, included in Kaletra), be especially careful.  Ask both the Doctor and the Pharmacist to check it.  Then ask them if they are sure. (Ok so it's a pet peeve of mine.)

Sometimes people need a combination of different anti-depressants to make life do-able. Currently I'm using both Mirtazapine (Remeron), and Bupropion (Wellbutrin).

Keep plugging one day at a time.  Some days will always be better than others.

Offline Iamrick

• Daily OM
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 04:39:32 pm »
 I finally got to see the doctor this week and after explaining what all I've been feeling and doing, he felt as though I'm having Bipolar/Manic episodes. I was really kind of shocked when he said this, but after doing some research on the net I do think I might fit into this category. He has prescribed Lithium carbonate and said it should help. I hope it does!!! I'm just not sure about some of the side effects, some are pretty scary but where I'm at mentally is just as scary. If I can deal with having Aids I can deal with this as well.

Trials keep You  Strong,

Sorrows keep You  Human,

Offline LT

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 12:34:41 am »
I've done Lithium before too.  The only real side effects I seem to remember were maybe a little bit of a tremble in my hands.  I suppose that muscle tremor must have also be there in my legs, just not conscientiously noticeable.  I say that because the other effect was I definitely remember feeling like I needed to hold the railing while walking down stairs. No like I was going to fall - just felt a little less steady.

Especially in the litigious USA, drug companies HAVE to list every possible side effect just to cover their posterior.  If you took all of them to heart, you'd never take another med, surly thinking they all cause immediate death.  Concentration on the ARV's for example - you'd wonder if the side effects were worse than the disease.

Manic depression is a scary name for you swing from highs of feeling happy, on top of the world, to lows where you see no way up, and you're still falling down a bottomless pit.

Try to think of that diagnosis in the same light and when you were first diagnosed with HIV.  Your mind said "horrible, terrible, sure death sentence!"  That wasn't true, and your fears about manic depression are similarly blown out of proportion.

Keep us posted - we'll do the best we can to help.

Offline mudman8

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 06:15:20 pm »
i"ve been on mood elevators for many years now. I found Paxil and onother P Iv'e forgottent eh name of killed my sexual desire. not good at 40.           New Dr and new prescription for Wellbutrin, it was great, sex drive back but it gave me a bit of a caffein buzz so I couldn't sleep or nap days. Now for 2 years I've been on Remeron at night, it helps me sleep, no buzz during the day.  Tho I still can't nap unless exhausted like today. 

I used to be a champion napper, 20 minutes down and I'd pop away refreshed, No longer the case.

I think meds to help you keep a positive attitude are essential. There is so much to deal with in our lives. good luck.

glenn
Life is analog

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 01:04:10 am »
I have had good luck with Cymbalta. It seems to be mostly used for people with chronic pain, which I have...It's far from perfect, but it has taking the edge off somewhat.

Good Luck, try to keep a positive attitude.

I also think keeping  busy helps too.

Positive since 1985

Offline bobino

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 01:20:19 am »

Iamrick,

As someone who's been on something like eight or nine different antidepressants over the last several years, the best advice that I can give you is to find a qualified psychopharmacologist to help you find the right medication.  Lithium may be appropriate for you, but it's got a number of unpleasant side-effects, so you really need to be sure that your condition has been properly diagnosed and that the drug is the right one for you.

In my opinion, your internist or GP is not qualified to prescribe these kinds of drugs.  You really need to see a specialist on this. 

As for me, I take trazodone and alprozolam (Xanax) for depression and anxiety, as well as Celexa.  The trazodone helps me sleep, and since it's generic, it's cheap as dirt.  I've tried a number of the SSRI's, but I've found I get better results with the older, tricyclic antidepressants. 

Hope this helps.

Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline Iamrick

• Daily OM
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 02:26:01 pm »
Hi All,
  Well thought I would give an update, I decided to follow my own instincts since I didn't agree with what the Dr had to say. After much thought, I realized that I was still grieving over the death of my partner and that I needed to give myself more time. It was a year ago 8-13-06 that I lost him, so I had been dreading this month but to my surprise I have handled it very well. Yes, there have been a few moments but over all
I'm actually feeling much better. Thank you all for the help!!!!  Rick

Trials keep You  Strong,

Sorrows keep You  Human,

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 02:30:29 pm »
So glad to hear you are feeling much better. Wish things keep on improving for you.

hugs,

Juan Carlos
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline bear60

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 05:50:26 pm »
Rick
Its good to know you are doing well and have come to understand yourself better.  Thing is there is no one way to react to the death of a loved one. Just as there is no way to really understand what grieving will be like before it happens. My experience...like yours....is that it takes longer and affects us in subtle ways we never would have dreamed of.  But I do know now that grieving is a powerful emotion.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.