Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:58:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 344
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Alcohol Addiction Drug Tested in HIV Cure Study  (Read 9266 times)

Offline jeezx

Alcohol Addiction Drug Tested in HIV Cure Study
« on: June 12, 2011, 03:35:17 pm »

"if researchers can prove that Antabuse is able to activate latently infected cells, it could go into wider scale testing in combination with other drugs with the goal of achieving eradication."

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_antabuse_disulfiram_1667_19875.shtml

http://www.baseline-hiv.co.uk/headline/treatment/2011/05/alcohol-addiction-drug-tested-in-hiv-%E2%80%98cure%E2%80%99-study.html

http://www.thebody.com/content/art60574.html

sounds interesting. cant wait for the results (2012 summer).

Offline MiniPozToyota

Re: Alcohol Addiction Drug Tested in HIV Cure Study
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 04:45:59 pm »
Sounds pretty cool indeed hopefully something will come out of this.
April 2010- tested neg.
April 1 2011 -  CD4 346 VL 46856 22%
July 27 2011- Started Atripla
(Meds are good) needed more space to update been UD now for three years. Current down below
Jun 5 2014 - CD4 704 VL UD % 44.0

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 06:46:11 am »
Antabuse can be pretty nasty stuff to have to take on a regular basis. It doesn't only effect a person when drinking alcoholic beverages, but it will also effect you if you ingest ANYTHING with an alcohol content, including but not limited to cold remedies and mouthwash.

If it works I suppose it would be worth being hyper-vigilant about any alcohol going past your lips, but wow, Antabuse can really make a person violently ill. I see the articles say that the trials will involve people taking it for only two weeks, but I have my doubts as to whether or not that would be enough time for a sufficient activation to take place.

One to watch, for sure.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ngo1

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:34:11 am »
I would not get my hopes high for this.
"Those who pray hundred times a day are not necessarily better than those who masturbate a couple of times a day"......

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 10:16:14 pm »
Antabuse can be pretty nasty stuff to have to take on a regular basis. It doesn't only effect a person when drinking alcoholic beverages, but it will also effect you if you ingest ANYTHING with an alcohol content, including but not limited to cold remedies and mouthwash.

If it works I suppose it would be worth being hyper-vigilant about any alcohol going past your lips, but wow, Antabuse can really make a person violently ill. I see the articles say that the trials will involve people taking it for only two weeks, but I have my doubts as to whether or not that would be enough time for a sufficient activation to take place.

One to watch, for sure.

Ugh this doesnt sound pleasant at all. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline LM

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 10:30:39 pm »
Unpleasant or not, the logic is great. Whatever works at flushing out those reservoirs, we'll have a mighty cure on our hands. More drugs will be researched regarding this aspect, so we have to wait and see. And hope.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:47:03 pm »

When I was first diagnosed in the 80's my doc gave me a script for antabuse because it was supposed to raise my CD4 counts . I managed about a month on it till I got a hold of some alcohol by mistake and puked for like what seemed for ever . That was about the same time as around the clock AZT by the handfulls ... jeez those were horrid times .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:27:35 pm »
since I prefer hard drugs, i imagine i could get by with the antabuse just fine.

i guess i'd make a prime candidate.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 08:52:20 am »
since I prefer hard drugs, i imagine i could get by with the antabuse just fine.

i guess i'd make a prime candidate.

You're a prime something or other, Tim. ;D Hard drugs are fine, but puking until you think your stomach is going to come out with the next heave? Not so much.

Some people have a more violent and immediate reaction to this drug than others. Hell, I knew one guy who had to take Antabuse as a condition of his parole and he could get as drunk as he liked, with only minor nausea. Tough cookie, that guy. And I knew a woman who was on it who only had to use mouthwash and would be puking for the next five hours. Weird stuff, Antabuse.

When I was first diagnosed in the 80's my doc gave me a script for antabuse because it was supposed to raise my CD4 counts . I managed about a month on it till I got a hold of some alcohol by mistake and puked for like what seemed for ever . That was about the same time as around the clock AZT by the handfulls ... jeez those were horrid times .

Horrid times indeed. Did it do anything for your CD4s?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 11:11:36 am »
Horrid times indeed. Did it do anything for your CD4s?

I really don't remember anything but getting very sick from the antabuse and AZT . I do remember trying my hardest and failing to stay on both drugs . At the time there were no other options to treat HIV and I had just tried and failed with both of them and was feeling rather grim about it all . It only got better , I also lost my health insurance at the same time .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Cosmicdancer

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 09:18:36 pm »
This is a little tangental, but I've read that as few as 1 in 1 million infected cells are dormant, reservoir cells.  This is very confusing, since when I do the math, I don't know what cells are being referred to (t-cells, macrophages, other cells?)  if someone has a t-cell count of 500 for example (which means 500 t-cells per ML of blood, and the typical 160 pound male has about 5,000 ML of blood), that amounts to a total of 2,500,000 t-cells in the person's body.  So obviously, the reservoir is not just 2 or 3 cells. 

Do they mean 1 out 1 million cells in the entire body?  The average person has about 100 trillion cells in their body, so I don't think that the reservoir of infected cells is 10 million... but I would like to get some idea of what's being talked about, because when I read articles about purging the infected cells, the terms are never really defined. 
Summer, 2007 - &$#@?
November, 2007 - Tested poz, 300,000 vl, 560 cd4
Feb, 2008 - 57,000 vl, 520 cd4, started Atripla
2/2008 - 5/2015 - undetectable on Atripla
May, 2015 - UD, switched to Complera
September, 2015 - UD, 980 cd4, switched to Stribild (Complera interacted with acid reflux medication)
January, 2016 - Stribild, UD, 950 cd4
June, 2016 - UD, 929 cd4

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 02:12:40 am »
Part of this is because they're honestly not sure where all the reservoirs are.  They are relatively sure that the reservoir exists in more than one cell type.

Offline stargate12

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 04:09:07 pm »
This is a little tangental, but I've read that as few as 1 in 1 million infected cells are dormant, reservoir cells.  This is very confusing, since when I do the math, I don't know what cells are being referred to (t-cells, macrophages, other cells?)  if someone has a t-cell count of 500 for example (which means 500 t-cells per ML of blood, and the typical 160 pound male has about 5,000 ML of blood), that amounts to a total of 2,500,000 t-cells in the person's body.  So obviously, the reservoir is not just 2 or 3 cells.  

Do they mean 1 out 1 million cells in the entire body?  The average person has about 100 trillion cells in their body, so I don't think that the reservoir of infected cells is 10 million... but I would like to get some idea of what's being talked about, because when I read articles about purging the infected cells, the terms are never really defined.  

Your calculations are not accurate.... ( perhaps i m wrong... )
The result is 2.5 bilions....
Did you like algebra at school ? ::) I
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:12:25 pm by stargate12 »

Offline Cosmicdancer

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 09:55:08 pm »
LOL, I did enjoy algebra.  But my calculation of 5,000 ml x 500 t-cells was correct.  2.5 million.   But I think Hellraiser is right that since we don't know how many types of cells HIV infects, it's hard to figure out how large the reservoir could be. 

Summer, 2007 - &$#@?
November, 2007 - Tested poz, 300,000 vl, 560 cd4
Feb, 2008 - 57,000 vl, 520 cd4, started Atripla
2/2008 - 5/2015 - undetectable on Atripla
May, 2015 - UD, switched to Complera
September, 2015 - UD, 980 cd4, switched to Stribild (Complera interacted with acid reflux medication)
January, 2016 - Stribild, UD, 950 cd4
June, 2016 - UD, 929 cd4

Offline Pepino2

• Facial wasting need not be...Teach PMMA!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 09:35:04 pm »
All the fears about the effects of Antabuse made me grin.  As a recovering alcoholic, I can only recommend something very simple to avoid them. -  "Don't Drink" LOL!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.