Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:59:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772948
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 445
Total: 445

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Funding for Ryan White 2009  (Read 10619 times)

Offline med forum

Funding for Ryan White 2009
« on: June 17, 2008, 07:31:52 am »
Please write and/or contact your congressman and senators by logging onto
www.congress.org and on the left side of the screen you'll be prompted to enter your zip code and then you'll get
a list of everyone you can tackle. All the addresses, phone numbers and more are available in seconds!
Tell them that Ryan White Funding must continue!

Please share this information with everyone you know!
Peace & health

Offline ecauserjr

Re: Funding for Ryan White 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 05:10:07 pm »
Are there any documents addressing what is actually being proposed for the next re authorization of the Ryan White Funding Bill.  I am concerned that propgrams previously funded by Ryan White Part B funding are being eliminated and I do not see any AIDS action sites of the web for clients to voice their concerns about loosing these program funds.  The changes being felt in the Southwestern PA region are food nd transportation services outside the Pittsburgh Area (Allegheny)  almost completely.

What can we do?

Eddy Jr

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 05:33:10 pm »
ecauserjr, here in Philadelphia we have a Ryan White Planning Council

http://www.hivphilly.org/PC.asp

I would assume you have something similar for your area, as I believe that such regional advisory committees are mandated in the CARE act.  Whether or not the information from your local committee is easily accessible on line is another matter.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ecauserjr

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 01:31:31 am »
I already belong to the Southwestern Pennsylvania AIDS Planning Coalition and our sub group WISC CAC (Westmoreland, Indiana, Somerset and Cambria County Consumer Advisory Council.  What I find that is not working is that our needs are not being filtered up the delegatory structure but decisions are being made at the top and concequences flow downward.  I am looking for online advocacy sites that allow the consumers to work on letter writing campaigns about needing more funding (not cuts in services).

I write my congressmen and only get pat responses and I don't hear any uproars from clients of ASO's being voiced to the powers that be with responses.  I originally lived in California and worked with APLA.  I know what City services are like.  Now I live in rural PA and I am completed suprised at the lack of services based on the laws and regulations.  We don't even have adequate prevention and education funding for a 4 county area.  I think we need to get motivated like we were in the 80's to get the government to begin to pay attention again but I can't find any online sites with petitions regarding the issues for us to fax our Congressman.

I don't have the skill set to begin such an effort but with a new appropriation bill being required next year what should we do?

Offline PaulinNJ

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 12:28:39 am »
I posted a similar post about 6-7 weeks ago and requested that everyone go to congress.org (know your 9 digit zip in case your district is split). If you look up my post, there is A LOT of information that may answer your questions, OR the contact information for The CAEAR Colation is in there (sorry, I'm tired...look up my Ryan White post) and you can contact them - they're extremely helpful and mostly made up of (I believe) people from Ryan WHite Councils (such as myself for a TGA in NNJ) and others who have banded together to get Ryan White 2009 FULLY FUNDED because of the growing gap between those of us still living (How dare we not die when out government expects us to!) and new "intakes".

I urge you ALL to follow through, spread the word, ratttle cages, get your friends, relatives, enemies, cats and dogs to write or call!!!!

The House (as you'll see from my thread on Ryan White) passed an additional 100m tagged to the bill - because they received so many emails and PHONE CALLS from consituents (1 call = 50 consituents - so I like to think perhaps we swayed some votes in our favor) simply making a one minute phone call (phone number available at congress.org) to each House Rep. and both state senators (total -3 calls = three minutes - priceless!)

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE spread the word. Every email and phone call does make a difference.

It's late, I'm tired...and I apollogize for being so lazy as to force you to research my Ryan WHite post for the additonal info and CAEAR Coalition contact information. My original post took about two hours to get all the info together and post it "just right" so I covered all bases....and I STILL got requests for "sample emails" and links.

My life is a bit stressful at the moment, so I appreciate you all taking the extra minute or two to find that info if you require it. If you can't. please post here and I will get the info for you.

Peace,
Paul
Laugh often - the alternative ain't worth it!
"Ain't I a stinker?" -- Bugs Bunny
From 120 t's, shingles and high VL in 2001
To 1200+ t's and undetectable in 2007.
2010 remain undedect. and 1000 CD4.

Offline PaulinNJ

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 12:39:34 am »
OK...so my ass ain't quite dragging that much...yet:

Here's what happened (I like to thnk) as a result of our campaign several weeks ago- keep the calls and emails going!

As follows (from June 23, 2008):
IT WORKS!!!

I just got the following email from our local Ryan White Director:

Greetings CAEAR Coalition Ally:

The House Labor/HHS Appropriations Subcommittee marked up their bill yesterday. It includes a $100 million increase for the Ryan White Program.  Attached is a chart that provides the numbers by program component and shows comparison with FY 2008.  Many thanks to everyone who contacted their House member.

--CAEAR Coalition

You're all amazing. See what we can do???

Offline PaulinNJ

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 12:45:15 am »
From my post in mid-June...and don't call me a lazy ass! LOL I'm in a good mood...enjoy it! LOL

Paul

As follows:

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call CAEAR Coalition at 202-789-3565.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.