Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:58:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 200
Total: 200

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: White House To Release Domestic Strategy Against AIDS  (Read 13044 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
White House To Release Domestic Strategy Against AIDS
« on: July 01, 2010, 07:57:22 am »

White House To Release Domestic Strategy Against AIDS
Main Category: HIV / AIDS
Article Date: 30 Jun 2010 - 3:00 PDT

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/193368.php

Bloomberg BusinessWeek: "The White House is poised to release the country's first comprehensive domestic strategy against AIDS, as funds to prevent infections have failed to halt the epidemic in those most at risk of the disease, AIDS groups said.

Release of the National AIDS Strategy may come as early as today, fulfilling Obama's campaign pledge to unify priorities among federal agencies and state partners, said Mitchell Warren, executive director of the New York-based AIDS Vaccine Advocacy Coalition, a nonprofit advocacy group.

HIV is contracted by about 56,000 Americans each year, and the mounting tally of people living with the disease shows no sign of stopping, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention." The nation's domestic response to AIDS has evolved as "a patchwork of programs with little oversight, said Chris Collins, director of Public Policy at the American Foundation for AIDS Research" and as state governments face budget difficulties they have reduced funding for the AIDS Drug Assistance Program "just as U.S. guidelines were broadened to start treatment earlier, according to the alliance of state directors" (Randall, 6/28).

This information was reprinted from kaiserhealthnews.org with kind permission from the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. You can view the entire Kaiser Daily Health Policy Report, search the archives and sign up for email delivery at kaiserhealthnews.org.

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: White House To Release Domestic Strategy Against AIDS
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:21:19 am »
This is fantastic to see.  As much shit as people try to drudge up about Obama he always seems to come back with his heart being in the right place.  He has the right idea on what the country should do policywise it just seems to be a wrestling match with the legislative branch to get them to "do the right thing", because they're so concerned about getting re-elected.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:49:12 am »
Fuck the Strategy!!! Why is it so God Damned hard to get $150mil Emergency Appropriations to clear the ADAP waiting lists?? *sigh*. So now we are going to have a room full of fat guys in DC sitting around looking at studies for 6 months when the gap should ahve been closed yesterday!

-Will
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:52:14 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:05:56 am »
Here in Alabama the legislature was waiting on 197 million to fund medicaid that as of right now not coming because it was tied into the jobs bill congress cant seem to pass .

Alabama is next to have people without medicine because of politics as usual in washington .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:33:18 am »
I wonder if there was some behind the scenes co-ordination to get that article yesterday to appear suddenly on the front page of the New York Times. 
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 05:22:08 pm »
I wonder if there was some behind the scenes co-ordination to get that article yesterday to appear suddenly on the front page of the New York Times. 

I was thinking the other direction.  NYT article maybe prompted the white house to announce early or at all.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 06:02:31 pm »
I read about the white house conference call on this subject - supposedly disastrous and offensive.

Maybe the heat on that call, got them to respond better.

http://www.lgbtpov.com/2010/06/new-adap-crisis-as-white-house-aids-conference-call-ends-in-chaos-acrimony/

I agree with the Willy - its one thing to have a "strategy" (how's that working for you in the gulf, obama?) and another to react quickly in a crisis -

Need BOTH.  Pay for ADAP!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 07:53:42 pm »
I read about the white house conference call on this subject - supposedly disastrous and offensive
for the most part it was serious technical glitches that caused a lot of upset feelings.

She said that 1924 people are now on waiting lists in 11 states.
That’s an increase of 184 people in just one week from the 1,840 people the National Alliance of State and Territorial AIDS Directors (NASTAD) reported on June 25.

Yikes!
according to the people live-blogging during the call, OH is about to post a big wait list, IL will soon join the list with over 400 people, and GA probably started their wait list today (7/1).

http://preventionjustice.org/blog/join-us-tuesday-liveblogging-pacha
Here are some interesting comments from the liveblog:
"I don't think its accurate to say that states with ADAP problems are solely due to state problems. The federal share of the budget has dropped by 20% points in the last 10 years. From 70% of the budget to less than 50... that causes a lot of states to cut prevention dollars for treatment or vice versa"
"Early Treatment for HIV Act allows states the option to provide Medicaid for low-income people with HIV without needing to meet "categorical eligibility," which for most PLWHA is disability".
"In 2014, every state Medicaid will be open to all citizens and eligible permanent residents at or below 133% of federal poverty regardless of their health status"

Many of the people in the liveblog weren't hopeful about the ETHA that will be available in 2014 IF states approve and use the program. There was talk of how GA is NOT even setting up the high-risks pool in the HCR and probably won't participate in a ETHA program either.

"Which is why states WON'T adopt ETHA, because it requires them to fund at least half of the costs "
"Georgia doesn't want to participate in HCR; the REDs are suing the Fed. Not even offrering high risk pools. "

the PACHA call eventually did produce a resolution http://www.aids.gov/federal-resources/policies/pacha/resolution.html
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 08:08:26 pm »
Even if and when ADAP budgets are straightened out, there are still many people who would not qualify for ADAP and who do not have private insurance. I wonder what happens to them? I guess they pay for their own labs and buy Viraday online if they're lucky.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:45:45 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 08:19:15 pm »
I wonder what happens to them?
several people in this liveblog made this point of how these ADAP waiting lists actually "undercount" all the people who actually need meds and can't get them. Each time a state changes/raises the eligiblity requirements, some people end up on the waiting lists; but some people no longer qualify to even be on the waiting lists and they go out into an uncounted limbo of how to access meds.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 09:56:47 pm »
Even if and when ADAP budgets are straightened out, there are still many people who would not qualify for ADAP and who do not have private insurance. I wonder what happens to them? I guess they pay for their own labs and buy Viraday online if their lucky.

That's a good point that I hadn't thought about. I guess any emergency appropriations to clear the list would also have to include money to those states that have instituted cost conatinment strategies so those states could do way with the CCS. Then they would need to look at tweaking ADAP eligibility standards to everyone who needs it covered.

I can dream can't I?

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 10:54:09 pm »
It's about fuckng time.

First time i've ever used the F bomb I think    :)  :)
Positive since 1985

Offline Ravhyn

• Nerd Alert
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 11:01:16 pm »
This all makes me sad...You know, if we would stop sticking our noses in other countries business's and focus on our own people there would be money aplenty for everyone to have there meds.  Or maybe if we focused more on meds/vaccines/cures then the next stealth jet or big bomb we could solves more issues. 
April 2006 - Sero-Conversion
December 2009 - Diagnosed
Jan 2010- VL 3,800 CD4 152
Summer 2010 VL UD, CD4 over 200
September 2010 VL UD, CD4 324
March 2011 VL UD, CD4 477
May 2011 VL UD, 338

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 11:23:54 pm »
This all makes me sad...You know, if we would stop sticking our noses in other countries business's and focus on our own people there would be money aplenty for everyone to have there meds.  Or maybe if we focused more on meds/vaccines/cures then the next stealth jet or big bomb we could solves more issues. 

I just saw a report about how our Defense budget is over 600 Billion now.  That is more than all other industrialized countries combined, I think.  Those countries rely on us to be their military, so they can spend their money on healthcare and other social things.  We have all these nuclear submarines.  We can't fight terrorism from a submarine.  We're actually spending more now than during the Cold War. 

Defense Secretary Gates is actually trying to get Congress to take money away--I believe over a Billion dollars worth.  Maybe if ya have the Defense Secretary pushing for cuts instead of politicians, something may get done.  If Obama pushed for these cuts, he would be labeled as soft on defense.  1 Billion would help a lot with healthcare needs. 

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 11:33:49 pm »
  If Obama pushed for these cuts, he would be labeled as soft on defense.  1 Billion would help a lot with healthcare needs. 

Obama needs to start showing some balls.  I didn't vote for him so we could have Afghanistan instead of ADAP.   I'm tired of every politician pandering to the military and organized religion.  Why are we paying the Department of Defense to wage a war on the other side of the globe?
It's a complex world

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 12:43:13 am »
Obama needs to start showing some balls.  I didn't vote for him so we could have Afghanistan instead of ADAP.   I'm tired of every politician pandering to the military and organized religion.  Why are we paying the Department of Defense to wage a war on the other side of the globe?

I'm not for the war in Afghanistan but in defense of Obama he was very upfront during his campaign about staying in Afghanistan. It's not like he's done an about face.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 12:45:07 am »
I think about what 600 billion could do for healthcare, social security, and education without the threat of killing anybody and it makes me extremely sad.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 09:03:15 am »

Why are we paying the Department of Defense to wage a war on the other side of the globe?

Aye, they should call a spade a spade and change the name to the Department of Offence.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 11:12:06 am »
Those countries rely on us to be their military, so they can spend their money on healthcare and other social things.   

I'm sure that's true in some cases, but overall the intent of the Global American Military Presence is to keep the peace and provide deterent to potential takeovers or invasions or skirmishes(Taiwan, and perhaps South Korea,etc..). and to a lesser extent to prevent nuclearization of those countries. ie..."There is no need to develop nuclear weapons because we will protect you wtih ours". Hence, NATO. There is also the view that our presence globaly is deterring Russian and Chinese influence in certain regions, not sure why these influences would be so bad, perhaps it's just a relic of the Cold war..

the Nuclear Submarines are a tool to achieve this global presence and deterence (although yes, 80 something subs seems a bit excessive).

I think the long held view that we are able to protect all of our allies by our Global presence is becoming tenable at best and we will start to see a breakdown of certain alliances, which could be good or bad depending on how it's handled.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 11:50:36 am »

I don't have to be reminded but maybe this will refresh some people's memories.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 11:59:57 am »

Even rabid hawks know that nuclear submarines are not the way to fight this kind of terrorism. The world has changed since the Cold War and the methods of war (both fighting and preventing) have also changed. It's time for the Dept. of Defense to catch up or be left behind with multi-billion dollar nuclear dinosaurs while our cities are blown to bits. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:02:06 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 12:19:51 pm »

Thanks Roddles, but unlike you I could smell the burning stench of human flesh and building materials through my living room windows, as at the time I lived only a mile from the WTC and normally at that time of the morning would have been on the subway directly under all of that, on the C train going to work in Soho, and exiting directly at that point that is shown in all WTC documentaries of the firemen watching the first plane fly overhead and into the first tower.

I'll also mention how I personally witnessed not one, but three people commit suicide by jumping in front of oncoming subway trains during the month of anthrax attacks.  Is it any wonder I moved?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:21:59 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 12:45:47 pm »
Even rabid hawks know that nuclear submarines are not the way to fight this kind of terrorism. The world has changed since the Cold War and the methods of war (both fighting and preventing) have also changed. It's time for the Dept. of Defense to catch up or be left behind with multi-billion dollar nuclear dinosaurs while our cities are blown to bits. 
You think the cold war is over? Where have you been? Guess you haven't been paying attention to all the Russian spys that they just pressed charges against. Try pulling your head out of the sand. Geesh.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 12:48:26 pm »
Thanks Roddles, but unlike you I could smell the burning stench of human flesh and building materials through my living room windows, as at the time I lived only a mile from the WTC and normally at that time of the morning would have been on the subway directly under all of that, on the C train going to work in Soho, and exiting directly at that point that is shown in all WTC documentaries of the firemen watching the first plane fly overhead and into the first tower.

I'll also mention how I personally witnessed not one, but three people commit suicide by jumping in front of oncoming subway trains during the month of anthrax attacks.  Is it any wonder I moved?
I can't blame you for moviing one bit and knowing it is going to happen again. I think I would have moved a little further away though you are still to close for comfort.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 12:50:36 pm »
I'm not for the war in Afghanistan but in defense of Obama he was very upfront during his campaign about staying in Afghanistan. It's not like he's done an about face.
Rod's just pointing out the reason why the war in Afghanistan is even happening. You may not be "for the war in Afghanistan" but it was through that nation that the events of 9/11 transpired. Personally, I wasn't for America taking it's eye off the actual culprits and heading over into Iraq; but I've got no problem with America going after the Taliban.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 01:11:02 pm »
Who cares about the wars, when the thread is about American AIDS policy? What frustrates me about government policy towards HIV services, is that there are hundreds of thousands of us infected, yet we can't muscle a piddling $150 million to fund ADAP. Why don't we have a unifying force, to lobby for us and pressure Congress for this pittance? I hate to be such a nag, but history has shown that if we don't demand something, there is a good chance we will not get it.

It's why I keep harping on every pozzie, needs to do something, anything, to assure that HIV services will receive appropriate funding. I don't know how to impress upon members, the fact that this is a community issue, not just an ADAP issue. If they underfund ADAP today, what stops them from underfunding Ryan White in the future? From the recent news, it would appear nothing can stop them, if they do not understand the truth about HIV prevention and treatment.

The only people who can lead this fight... are us. The masses of advocates, that existed for a couple of decades seems to have dwindled dangerously low. It's time for new advocates to arise and harness the power of technology to develop and execute an effective means of securing funding for the HIV community.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 02:02:19 pm »
You may not be "for the war in Afghanistan" but it was through that nation that the events of 9/11 transpired. 

Guess what? They aren't in Afghanistan any longer. They have moved on, we have not followed suit. They seem to be a step or two ahead of us.

Meanwhile Afghanistan helped to bankrupt Russia and is threatening to do the same to the US.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 02:43:46 pm »
Meanwhile Afghanistan helped to bankrupt Russia and is threatening to do the same to the US.

We'll never learn.  Any time America has  a hand in another nation's government it ends up blowing up in our faces.  Remember Noriega??  I'm with you Mr. H, I'm against the war in Afghanistan, and the fact that we helped the Taliban defeat the Russians in the first place only reinforces my ideas on why we shouldn't be over there.  We applauded when Russia pulled out and the effects it had on them.   No lesson learned though, let's send our troops over to fight a war with an enemy we helped create who single handily toppled a nation we once feared.  Yep, sounds good to me.

We do this stuff on the covert level as well and bring problems to our own shores because of it.  Back in the late 70's and 80's the CIA's part in the battles going on in Jamaica between the JLP and PNP parties is what brought the Shower Posse to our streets, terrorizing the East Coast of our Nation during the 90's.  Does anyone remember that?

What about that so-called police action in Vietnam mislabeled as a conflict to sooth us into thinking... nevermind.   

It does have something to do with ADAP and healthcare.  This money spent on so-called defense spending could be allocated to much needed programs, if anything put our education system back on track first before going off to war.  Sheeesh, I'm with Ann, it's should be considered the Department of Offense.

I agree.

I might have gone on a tangent here, sorry.  Just sick and tired of our government.. might be time for a revolution of sorts. :D
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 03:08:52 pm »
Get this. I just had dinner with a bunch of students from a very progressive California university. But business and tech students not liberal artsies.  With a bunch of Swiss students.  And we were going through topics. And universal health care came up.  And really, not a one of the young Americans came out in favor of universal health care for the US.  I was especially surprised to hear the ratty arguments about immigrant abuse of the system.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 03:09:55 pm »
Let's look at the history of United supporting countries with billions of dollars and the ultimate outcome (yet our government can't or won't find the dollars to adequately fund ADAP): (Also, the lack of funding for ADAP could be argued is an issue of national security.  A weakened defense is no defense.  If anti-retroviral mutations of HIV occur as a result of people being deprived of needed medications and the disease spreads it could create severe infrastructure damage to our ability to have an active, fight ready military to deploy or defend our country -- not tom mention the economic toll that increased healthcare costs can have on an already faltering economy.) - Just points for thought.

Example 1: IRAN

"Following the coup the US helped build up the shah's regime, even as it demonstrated its authoritarianism. In the first three weeks the US government gave Iran $68 million in emergency aid, and an additional $1.2 billion over the next decade.

During his brutal reign, the Shah received significant American support, frequently making state visits to the White House and earning praise from numerous American Presidents. The Shah's close ties to Washington and his bold agenda of rapidly Westernizing Iran soon began to infuriate certain segments of the Iranian population, especially the hardline Islamic conservatives.

In America, the coup was originally considered a triumph of covert action but now is considered by many to have left "a haunting and terrible legacy."

Example 2: IRAQ:
The United States supported Iraq during the Iran–Iraq War as a counterbalance to post-revolutionary Iran. This support included several billion dollars worth of economic aid, the sale of dual-use technology, non-U.S. origin weaponry, military intelligence, Special Operations training, and direct involvement in warfare against Iran.

Support from the U.S. for Iraq was not a secret and was frequently discussed in open session of the Senate and House of Representatives, although the public and news media paid little attention. On June 9, 1992, Ted Koppel reported on ABC's Nightline, "It is becoming increasingly clear that George Bush, operating largely behind the scenes throughout the 1980s, initiated and supported much of the financing, intelligence, and military help that built Saddam's Iraq into" the power it became", and "Reagan/Bush administrations permitted—and frequently encouraged—the flow of money, agricultural credits, dual-use technology, chemicals, and weapons to Iraq."

Starting in 1982 with Iranian success on the battlefield, the United States made its backing of Iraq more pronounced, normalizing relations with the government, supplying it with economic aid, counter-insurgency training, operational intelligence on the battlefield, and weapons.

President Ronald Reagan initiated a strategic opening to Iraq, signing National Security Decision Directive 4-82 and selecting Donald Rumsfeld as his emissary to Hussein, whom he visited in December 1983 and March 1984. to U.S. ambassador Peter W. Galbraith, far from winning the conflict, "the Reagan administration was afraid Iraq might actually lose."

[T]he United States actively supported the Iraqi war effort by supplying the Iraqis with billions of dollars of credits, by providing U.S. military intelligence and advice to the Iraqis, and by closely monitoring third country arms sales to Iraq to make sure that Iraq had the military weaponry required. The United States also provided strategic operational advice to the Iraqis to better use their assets in combat... The CIA, including both CIA Director Casey and Deputy Director Gates, knew of, approved of, and assisted in the sale of non-U.S. origin military weapons, ammunition and vehicles to Iraq. My notes, memoranda and other documents in my NSC files show or tend to show that the CIA knew of, approved of, and assisted in the sale of non-U.S. origin military weapons, munitions and vehicles to Iraq.

Example 3: Panama / Noriega:
Although the relationship did not become contractual until 1967, Noriega worked with the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) from the late 1950s until the 1980s.[6] In 1988 the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration indicted him on federal drug charges.[7][8]

The 1988 Senate Subcommittee on Terrorism, Narcotics and International Operations concluded that "the saga of Panama's General Manuel Antonio Noriega represents one of the most serious foreign policy failures for the United States. Throughout the 1970s and the 1980s, Noriega was able to manipulate U.S. policy toward his country, while skillfully accumulating near-absolute power in Panama. It is clear that each U.S. government agency which had a relationship with Noriega turned a blind eye to his corruption and drug dealing, even as he was emerging as a key player on behalf of the Medellín Cartel (a member of which was notorious Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar)." Noriega was allowed to establish "the hemisphere's first 'narcokleptocracy'".

--- While I agree in defending our interests and security - it definitely should not come at the cost of our overall civilization - otherwise what are we fighting for -- you can win the battle and lose the war and in this case we may very well win the battle, and the war, but lose our humanity.

September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 04:09:35 pm »
Get this. I just had dinner with a bunch of students from a very progressive California university. But business and tech students not liberal artsies.  With a bunch of Swiss students.  And we were going through topics. And universal health care came up.  And really, not a one of the young Americans came out in favor of universal health care for the US.  I was especially surprised to hear the ratty arguments about immigrant abuse of the system.

The young feel invincible when it comes to health care. But the only way for any kind of insurance pool to work, whether private or public, is to include everyone so that the costs can be spread out.

When I was in my 20s I didn't have health care because the kinds of jobs I had back then did not offer it. I was healthy and it didn't really worry me at the time. Sure I would have liked to have had it but it's not like I was losing sleep over it.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 04:17:44 pm »
It's why I keep harping on every pozzie, needs to do something, anything, to assure that HIV services will receive appropriate funding. I don't know how to impress upon members, the fact that this is a community issue, not just an ADAP issue. If they underfund ADAP today, what stops them from underfunding Ryan White in the future?
It's why I not only keep posting on here about the ADAP issues in SC but keep talking about it amongst the clients I meet at my ASO. When I attended the last ADAP funding rally in Columbia SC just before the legislature voted on the budget, there were only about 200 people in attendance. Why there are over 2000 people in SC using ADAP! That's barely 10% of the people who use ADAP in this state there fighting for access to their meds. When you factor out the case workers there trying to protect their jobs and a few volunteers like me who don't even use ADAP, there were only 2 lone ADAP clients in the crowd. Sadly, not even 1% of the SC ADAP users showed up to request that the program's funding be keep up.

The masses of advocates, that existed for a couple of decades seems to have dwindled dangerously low. It's time for new advocates to arise and harness the power of technology to develop and execute an effective means of securing funding for the HIV community.
that's the message I have been telling these case workers and ASO directors that I have been getting in contact with throughout this state. Twenty years ago my first partner and I attended rallies in Cleveland demanding meds be brought to the market. Then I spent 15 years sick myself, losing friends and losing partners, struggling to stay alive. Thankfully, I'm doing much better today, although most of those people I knew 20 yrs ago fighting for meds and fighting for funding have passed away. Now, twenty years later, it's become my turn to try to fight for meds and fight for funding so that other people will have the same chance I did to get treated and stay alive.

Guess what? They aren't in Afghanistan any longer.
well, you did say you weren't for the war in Afghanistan. You didn't qualify your statement. So does that mean that you were FOR the war in the beginning when we were retaliating against the Taliban for causing 9/11, and you're just not for it now? Because that's a whole lot different than everyone jumping on the bandwagon saying we shouldn't fund the wars/defense but ADAP instead. People shouldn't imply we should fund ADAP at the expense of our national defense.

Who cares about the wars, when the thread is about American AIDS policy?
It does have something to do with ADAP and healthcare.  This money spent on so-called defense spending could be allocated to much needed programs, if anything put our education system back on track first before going off to war.
As Tom alluded, Joe, it is about AIDS policy, wars, and education; because we're talking about a budget issue. We should also be talking about the amount of foreign aid America spends too; but that usually gets people here all riled up. Obviously America's policies are all screwed up. We can fund wars and can fund healthcare for other people around the world, but we can't properly fund proper healthcare for our own citizens. It's very sad; but these policies have been in place a long time, and it'll take a long time to change them. Thankfully, even the Sec of Def believes the military budget is too high, so who knows, maybe a turning point is coming.

Until then, I'll keep calling and emailing legislators in my state and in DC, while trying to get others in my ASO riled up to at least attend the rallies with me to show some sort of reunited front that it's not just me and a couple 100 other south carolinians that give a damn about ADAP funding in my state. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 04:58:53 pm »
I am well aware that AIDS funding is a policy issue as well, but my point remains that people would rather argue about how much we spend on defense, when people are actually dying, because of a lack of a couple hundred million in funding. America comprises a $14 Trillion economy and we can't find this funding. What frustrates me the most, is how nobody seems to be really angry about this, or at least concerned enough to do something. If you don't fight for this now, then don't complain if you ever need ADAP and it's not there. Same with Ryan White.

Yes there are wars in America and one if them is pitting the government against the HIV community. Unless we stand united and share our concerns with everyone we can, this war will still be waging in the next century.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 07:59:59 pm »
We can bash the wars and defense spending all we want but the Truth of the matter is we cannot just blame defense spending, new subs, etc..for the lack of ADAP funding.

There is a much more easier and agreeable way to fund ADAP....get rid of ALL earmarks and PORK projects for 1 year!!!! This could free up $8 BILLION! That amount of money could fund ADAP fully for 15-20 years.

Holy fuckin shit, just strike the $200 million re-sodding of the MAll in DC (included in the stimulus bill)! This would take care of ADAP for a year.

Frankly, I could care less about defense spending when we have all this ridiculous pork being dolled out.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 10:04:12 pm »
We can bash the wars and defense spending all we want but the Truth of the matter is we cannot just blame defense spending, new subs, etc..for the lack of ADAP funding.

I fully agree, but when you compare our defense spending with that of other nations the figures are highly disproportionate.  My step-dad, a military guy (ugg), use to say this is how one enjoys 200+ years of civil liberty and freedom.  I never bought into it. 

To us, the worry right now here on there forums are the issues with ADAP.  We have a vested interest because our lives depend on it.  I guess the point that I was making before is that our government has lied to us all along.  The way they spend our tax dollars is appalling and people should have to answer for this, but no... they're protected and we get to sit and watch.  In the end ADAP, Education, healthcare, Social Security, and various other programs receive cuts while we watch wars to establish diplomacy which never comes to fruition.

And don't talk about the Pork & Bean Projects, boyeee I grew up near there. Ok, I'm joking..  You're right we probably could capture 8 billion from Pork barrel projects, but for me, the anti-establishment dreadlock, I want some of that 600 Billion allocated else where.

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 02:17:26 pm »
A preview of what will be announced tomorrow:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/12/health/policy/12aids.html

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
White House to Unveil National HIV/AIDS Strategy
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 06:30:09 pm »
http://www.aids.gov/federal-resources/policies/national-hiv-aids-strategy/white-house-to-unveil.html

Apparently, there's an aids.gov? Well then....

WASHINGTON, D.C. - On Tuesday, July 13, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, White House Domestic Policy Council Director Melody Barnes, Office of National AIDS Policy Director Jeffrey Crowley, and HHS Assistant Secretary for Health Dr. Howard Koh will unveil the National HIV/AIDS Strategy (NHAS) and discuss its goals and details.

The NHAS is a comprehensive plan focused on: 1) reducing the number of people who become infected with HIV, 2) increasing access to care and optimizing health outcomes for people living with HIV, and 3) reducing HIV-related health disparities.

The plan will serve as a roadmap for policymakers, partners in prevention, and the public on steps the United States must take to lower HIV incidence, get people living with HIV into care, and reduce HIV-related health disparities.
[.Fodão.]

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
Re: White House to Unveil National HIV/AIDS Strategy
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2010, 08:17:31 pm »
Oops, didn't see that this has already been posted.
[.Fodão.]

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2010, 08:55:48 pm »
Has anyone actually taken the time to see what the $626b defense budget has in it? Well, to what can actually be seen, save all of the black budgets in the mix, which could easily be a good 5-10b.

The Senate approved a $625.6 billion Pentagon budget Tuesday, ending a week long debate reflecting very different but related wars: one in Afghanistan and the other among aerospace giants vying to keep production lines open.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/politics/Senate_approves__626B_defense_budget-63645762.html

Some insight into the insane nature of the defense budget.

And also, using 9/11 as an excuse to defend that kind of spending is ridiculous. But I'll leave it right there, save a message board slap fight.
[.Fodão.]

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2010, 09:22:26 pm »
Oops, didn't see that this has already been posted.

I merged it for you.

You're welcome. ;)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.