Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:16:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773187
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 381
Total: 384

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Another medical question : testosterone ?  (Read 7122 times)

Offline manhattanman

Another medical question : testosterone ?
« on: June 29, 2006, 07:37:05 pm »
My overall testosterone is in the low range of normal, but free testosterone is belwo normal. My Doc wants me to start using a topical ointment once a day (Testim 1%)
Weight is the same as it has always been for at least 10 years (converted in 2001 )...body actually a little better than in past.

Has anyone used this topical testosterone ?
Side effects ?
I have no desire to be  a "gymbot"
Thanks

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Re: Another medical question : testosterone ?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 07:39:02 pm »
I use the androgel, I feel like it definitely gives me more energy.

Sex drive ???  what's that??? oh yeah, I kind of remember......
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline BB

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 09:33:16 pm »
I've used both. The testim gave me a rash but the stuff gets the woman and gay guys attention, I kid you not! The androgel will give you the same boost as testim, sort of and is adequate for the job, but you won't get comments and attention from the woman or guys like using testim will.  After some time, about two years, I found I didn't need either of them.

Good luck,

BB
Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Adm. D. Farragut.

Started Atripla 8/18/06 and if I eat the right food when I take my meds, I get to go on a-trip-la.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 10:33:47 pm »
oooooo sounds like I need to get some testim.....
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline rocket

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 10:59:03 pm »
In a way the andrgel contributed to me getting hiv.Mytestosterone level was low when my doc measured it and so he put me on it.Just rub it onto your shoulders or abdomin.It made this forty something bod feel like eighteen again.Unreal how horny it made me!So I had lots of sex and unsafe at that.Now im here.I cant say it gave me more energy but it certainly helped my sex life unfortunatly. :D I stopped taking it when I was diagnosed as I have no need for it now,and i was worried about the cancer risk,I mean prostate risk.My doc also warned of this possibility.Actually sex can cut your life short.I was reading a study where people who are castrated live about 10 years longer than normal people.So maybe those nike,ufo believers from california that commited suicide about 10 years ago were onto something.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 12:10:01 am »
The advantage of the gel is that you receive a more constant level of test, but use whatever works for you.  I had the same results that you had, but I found that my normal level was no where near what I needed, given the toll of the disease, side effects and the meds.  I do a shot a week and I don't notice any changes, per se, other than I have more energy and I seem to be excessively horny.

The real point of this is for you to determine what level of testosterone you need for feel the best.  I'd start with the gel and then you can really control the dose and see if you like the results.

Offline Rightbrain

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 11:38:23 pm »
Manhattanman,  I went for three or four months with severe up and down fatigue.  My numbers were too healthy for it to be any sort of infection and I had no other symptoms.  Turns out my testosterone was low.  I take the smallest dose of Androgel and it seems to work well.  It also worked immediately.  After a few months I'm still tired some of the time and I suspect that I need a higher dose, but it will be good for you.

brother joe
If there's a cure I hope I can have all the leftover Sustiva.

Offline DCGuy511

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 11:46:37 pm »
My best friend uses Androgel. He had testicular cancer last year and now his body does not produce testosterone at all.  He noticed a huge difference and has not had any rashes or allergic reaction.  He does not report that he is horny as an 18-year-old.  His doc measures his testosterone level every six months to make sure he is not using too much and therefore risking things like prostate cancer.
Steve
Infected/Diagnosed Fall 2003
"No Man Is An Island" - J Donne

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 12:01:06 am »
Testim is supposed to have a better "delivery system" than AndroGel; that's not clinically proven though. Are you going to use one tube (5 mg) or two (10 mg)? Not likely that you'll become a gymbot with either of these doses. The muscle boys use injectable testosterone stacked with other anabolics (Deca etc) at MUCH higher doses. Here's yet another question I asked at The Body:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Fatigue/Current/Q174056.html

Jay

Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 12:04:33 am »
I have no idea what my testosterone level is but I definitely don't need anything that is going to make me more horny!

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 12:07:49 am »
C'mon, no such thing as TOO horny.
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 02:17:19 am »
After my first shot, I found my shopping cart pushing itself (Look Ma, NO HANDS)
Positive since 1985

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 11:32:35 am »
I think it is important to find out why your testosterone is low. Obviously with some meds the effects are bigger than with others. The problem with using testosterone long time is that your body registers the level of testosterone and reduces your own testosterone production.

When I had low testosterone I was on Crixivan, a protease inhibitor. When I went to nukes again, the testosterone went up. Any other people with similar experiences?

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.