Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:28:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 467
Total: 467

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: through the lining of the urethra inside the penis  (Read 25560 times)

Offline orishaspollo

through the lining of the urethra inside the penis
« on: January 25, 2007, 12:27:56 am »
can somebody please tell me what is the lining of the urethra inside the penis?
From what I understand (I've talked with people in the red cross here in my country), a man needs to worry if he has an STD (in other words, sores or cuts in his penis), and enters it on a vagina or an anus

We can practice oral sex to HIV positive women, kiss them (french kissing)

Is it really that safe for us men?

What if I kiss a girl that is HIV positive, a deep french kiss, after we finished brushing our teeth? (both of us)

Offline orishaspollo

Re: through the lining of the urethra inside the penis
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 02:30:34 am »
CONTEXT: It is not established whether the condom is as effective at preventing heterosexual transmission of HIV as it is for preventing conception. An overall estimate of condom effectiveness for HIV prevention is needed.

METHODS: Information on condom usage and HIV serology was obtained from 25 published studies of serodiscordant heterosexual couples. Condom usage was classified as always (in 100% of acts of intercourse), sometimes (1-99%, 0-99% or 1-100%) or never (0%). Studies were stratified by design, direction of transmission and condom usage group. Condom efficacy was calculated from the HIV transmission rates for always-users and never-users. RESULTS: For always-users, 12 cohort samples yielded a consistent HIV incidence of 0.9 per 100 person-years (95% confidence interval, 0.4-1.8). For 11 cohort samples of never-users, incidence was estimated at 6.8 per 100 person-years (95% confidence interval, 4.4-10.1) for male-to-female transmission, 5.9 per 100 (95% confidence interval, 1.5-15.1) for female-to-male transmission and 6.7 per 100 (95% confidence interval, 4.5-9.6) in samples that specified the direction of transmission. Generally, the condom's effectiveness at preventing HIV transmission is estimated to be 87%, but it may be as low as 60% or as high as 96%.

CONCLUSIONS: Consistent use of condoms provides protection from HIV. The level of protection approximates 87%, with a range depending upon the incidence among condom nonusers. Thus, the condom's efficacy at reducing heterosexual transmission may be comparable to or slightly lower than its effectiveness at preventing pregnancy

Hello, I want to know how effective condoms are. Yes I've read ALL the documentation about condoms, I just want to know why this forum is so 100% sure that condoms work allright.

I mean the founder of this forum is seropisitive, and she has sex with her partner, and he always uses condoms. For 7 years or so, the guy ended up without HIV.

I've had sex with sex workers, around 12 times.
I always used condoms, never broke. However, one time, I was inside this girl, and as I retired my penis, the condom remained in her vagina.

I just dried my penis, and inserted another condom

I've used condoms of the following brands:
SuperLuxe, Preventor.

And one time, with this prostitute, I performed oral sex to her

Can you read these URLs I've read today please?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7841237&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7904668&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7904668&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=1886189&dopt=medline

Can someone please tell me why are these studies saying that condom rate is around 80%-90%. This scares the living shit out of me

One thing is sure. Sexual workers ALWAYS use condoms, they are tested every 15 days, and I always used condoms with them. Apart from that I haven't had any sores in my penis, but when I spoke with a guy from the Red Cross, he told me that guys that have STD's (open sores in their penises), are the ones that contract AIDS

Yahoo!!
I though, without thinking that I can get aids through the urethra of my penis.

I've also read the following:
Low Risk - HIV positive and asymptomatic, viral load < 1500 c/mL
High Risk - HIV positive and symptomatic, AIDS, acute retroviral syndrome, or known high viral load

My questions are:

1) If I have unprotected sex with a girl that is HIV positive, and she got the disease around 1-15 days ago, how high are the risk of getting the disease? I've read that if the girl has a over 1500 c/ml in viral load, it's a high risk. When a girl gets infected by HIV, is she usually in those numbers?
2) If I decide to usually have sex with sex workers (always using condoms), will you recommend me to take: Lamivudine and zidovudine in order to reduce the risk of getting infected by HIV in 80%? Haha I know that might be an unusual question but I just want to know if that extra protection is needed
3) I met a sex worker in october. I started dating her frequently, and had sex with her 3 times.
I am going to travel on friday, and live with her, for around 1-6 months.

Would you recommend me to cut the sex or to use condoms and relax?
I will surely ask her for a HIV test.

The first 3 times I had sex with sex workers I used two condoms. Then I thought it was an exagerration. Now after reading so many documents I am sure that HIV can go through the urethra, and it's 3 times less likely for a man to be infected by a woman than a woman to be infected by a man.

If the condom doesn't breaks (meaning it's obvious that there is a hole in the condom), can I relax?
Can you PLEASE give me documentation that supports this? Or should I talk with a professional?

Keep in mind that I might live 6 months with a girl that worked for 2 months, and she slept with around 40-50 guys (always wearing condoms)

And I have slept with around 12 sex workers, and I always used condoms.

Thanks for all your support, I really hope someone can read my post and answer seriously. I don't think I need an HIV test  but with all these lectures I'm starting to doubt.

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 02:55:34 am »
I'm reading a study of discordant couples, what does "1.0 per 100 person years for couples who always used a condom" means? What does the "x person years" stands for?

What are the most respected discordant couples studies that humanity has done? I want to read articles that are not vague studies but serious studies backed by serious national health institutes, or stuff like those.

Of the 475 couples who entered the study, 63 percent (298) discontinued sexual activity within six months; some of this was because the partners were ill with AIDS. The remaining 37 percent (177) were sexually active during all or part of the study period, and followed for a median of 20 months. Of these volunteers who were sexually active for at least six months, 45 percent adopted safe sex practices or became abstinent. The percentage of these couples who always used condoms increased from 0 to 24 percent.

The investigators observed a seroconversion rate of 1.0 per 100 person years for couples who always used a condom, and 6.8 per 100 person years for couples who used condoms irregularly or not at all. The seroconversion rates were similar between couples who never used condoms and those who used them irregularly, underscoring the importance of consistent, correct condom use. The female-to-male rate of HIV transmission was 7.6 per 100 person years; the rate of male-to-female transmission was 4.8 per 100 person years.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 03:58:20 am »
Please post all your thoughts and questions in your orginal thread.

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 04:01:53 am »
This is my original thread

"And because there has been some encouraging research indicating that people who diagnose their HIV infection early – meaning the first weeks after infection, before antibodies become detectable – can protect their immune systems by starting treatment early"

what does "protect their inmune systems by starting treatment early" means?
Does that means that they take "post-exposure prophylaxis" in order to kill the HIV virus, or does this means other things?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 04:08:01 am »
No that is not your original thread. You have one started about Oral Sex with a Prostitute. This is not the first time you've been told to keep all your questions and thoughts in your orginal thread.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 08:05:12 am »
Don't jive us. This is from Ann on December 2nd in response to some meandering you did in the LIVING WITH HIV SECTION:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oris,

I removed the two posts you made in the "I Just Tested Poz" forum and put them here, in your original thread, which is the ONLY place you should be posting questions.

If you'd bothered to read the Welcome thread and posting guidelines like you've been asked to, you would know you are not allowed to post in any other forum aside from Off Topic.

It would seem that you don't read any of the replies you get, so I would suggest if you want answers, stop reading the other forums and get reading through this one. The answers are all here, over and over and over again.

Ann

DO YOU HAVE A SPECIFIC HIV CONCERN? We are not interested in having abstract discussions here nor in refuting what other sites may have to say.  If you read the lessons on Transmission and on Testing, (a link to them is in the Welcome thread which opens this section), you will find all the basic information which you need about these issues. 
Andy Velez

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 11:25:32 am »
OK I've posted my questions in my original post:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=4237.new#new

my main question is

if condoms don't break, do I need to take an HIV test?
I've had sex around 12 times, all of them wearing condoms. Here in my country prostitutes need to take the HIV test every 15 days, so I suppose they always know their HIV status and I assume it's negative.

However, corruption might make some of the positive ones work.

Either way, if you are having sex with a person who might be HIV positive, and you use condom (latex), and it doesn't breaks, do u need to take an HIV test?

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 11:34:08 am »
No. You dont.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 11:58:34 am »
Condoms don't care whom you are with, be it a civilian or a professional. They provide equally effective protection with either.

So no, you do not need to get an HIV test in relation to any of those incidents.

However, we do recommend that anyone who's sexually active ought to regularly have a full STD panel done. There are other STDs which are much easier to acquire than HIV, so having a panel done annually or even every six months is a good way to protect your health.

This time I don't see any need to be concerned about HIV from what you have reported.
Andy Velez

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 01:31:36 am »
So why can't a moderator move my post to here:
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=4237.new;topicseen#new

one time, one condom, when I took it out, it slipped.
So in the outer part of the vagina, there was my condom. I mean I took my penis out but didn't hold the end of the condom, so when I removed my penis (to change positions), basically my penis went out, but the condom stayed inside her vagina.

I supposed the condom was slippery, so I am concerned about that one. What I did was dried my penis, and used another one, that was the thing to do.

So the condom was there all the time, and when I took my penis out, it remained there

Does a condom needs to break in order for HIV to pass through?

Thanks guys for all the responses.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 06:39:53 am »
Either not used consistently, failure due to user not putting them on correctly and user not using plenty of water base lube.

Next time, if you are going to cut and past, make sure the articles aren't 13 years old.

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 11:33:40 am »
So if the condom doesn't breaks that means it is effective?
Or if I use a condom and it doesn't breaks, but there isn't enough lubrication, is there a chance some "micropores" could start to open in the condom?

Please put yourself in my shoes

In the last year, I think I went to burdels around 12 times. But one time, I met this girl, and we sort of felt for each other.

Right now I'm in Colombia living with her and I really want to know how effective condoms are, since I'm going to live in her house, sleep in her bedroom, and I want all the information, and I'm sure as hell I don't want to panic if there is no need.

I've never not-used a condom in my life, and I've had sex around 15 times, so I'm not that active. However, I'm starting to freak since I'm living with this girl who worked for 2 months (I'll say she slept with around 40+ guys).

So I really want to know how to use them properly. Are there any cheaps condoms that are less secure than otehrs, or all latex condoms should be trusted equally? Are all condoms equally effective if they don't leak/break?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 11:46:01 am »
Please put yourself in my shoes
Give us a break. Everyone that has answered you would love to be in your shoes. Why? You didn't have a risk and we wouldn't have HIV/AIDS if we were in your shoes. We don't do what if's. A condom that has no failures = NO RISK, like in your situation.

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 07:03:47 pm »
Hello
Yesterday I was having sex and I don't know if this girl has HIV or not

I was drunk and I clearly remember that she placed the condom. She has no long nails since she cooks so I'm not afraid of her nails. However, I fucked her in the missionary position (man on top), and then she was on top.

Since I was drunk I wouldn't come, and she got tired. She was drunk as well. We didn't vomited and I wasn't that drunk but enough to forget what happened yesterday.

All I remember is that since I wasn't coming, she masturbated me, with the condom placed. When I ejaculated, I remember that the ejaculation was very powerful. Like a very powerful spray.

I remember that a drop of semen endend in my stomach.

How did some semen spilled in my stomach? I supose that with such a powerful ejaculation, the condom broke. Maybe this girl didn't left enough place semen.

Anyway, I'm freaking out. Please give me advices. I'm looking forward to meet her tonight.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 07:21:05 pm »
Spam another forum. You didn't have a risk.

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 12:01:58 am »
Thank u

However I have been sexually active for a year now, tomorrow I'm going to take an HIV exam

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 12:30:45 am »
Hello
I will appreciate if someone can tell me this:

"HIV enters the body through open cuts, sores, or breaks in the skin; through mucous membranes, such as those inside the anus or vagina; or through direct injection"

Does that means that my penis needs to have an open cut, sore, or break in the skin, in order to get the virus?

Please please don't tell me to read the text in this site I've read them all. I just want to know if I I NEED to have an open cut, sore or break in the skin of my penis in order to aquire HIV.

I have always used condoms, I've had sex around 30 times, all of them with condoms, and tomorrow I'm going to take an exam, since it's a year since I'm sexually active.

Really, I'm about to lose my mind. Today I'll try to sleep but I'm already freaking out.

I googled for the term "HIV per-incident risk", and I've read in various websites that the per-incident risk of receiving HIV from a woman is around 1/100 - 1/1000

Is HIV a virus that is difficult to transmit?
Is it really that low? If I am the insertive partner? I have never done anal sex, just vaginal sex, and I've always used condoms

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 12:32:43 am »
"For men, HIV must enter through a cut or abrasion on the penis, through the lining of the urethra inside the penis."

Is this why the risk to get HIV from an infected woman is low?

Thank you so much for your responses

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 12:51:01 am »
I think that I finally understood this

"through a microscopic cut or abrasion on the head of the penis"

I want to know if the urethra has microscopic cuts or abrasions, that would allow the HIV from a woman's vaginal fluids to enter the blood stream.

Sorry for so many questions, I just hope I won't get a rude answer.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2007, 04:35:55 am »
It's passes through the lining of the urethra. No, there needs to be no cuts or abrasions for this to happen.

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 03:51:24 pm »
I don't know if I'm scared as hell or if I'm calmed down, anyway from all the information that I've read this is just too confusing for me.

Some ppl say condom use means no risk, others say only monogamy is 100% safe, others compare your chances of getting HIV "per-risk", which (in the case you use a condom), are so low, that you might as well die from a car accident (ex 1/2000 per-incident risk without a condom, by the European Study)

Anyway, I'm going to see the results from my exams so far

I'm not proud of what I've done, around 15 girls, 35+ times I've had sex, for a year or so
Always, I always wore a condom, but this site give me confidence to take a test since I was sexually active, so I'm guessing this is the responsible thing to do

Anyway I'm freaking out, I hope you can reply in my next post, which will be with the HIV results

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 04:25:15 pm »
Before you post again, read the posting guidelines that are found in the "Welcome" thread. You have been warned before for posting in other forums.

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 04:51:01 pm »
I am thinking in getting a new alias, use an HTTP proxy to change my IP address, and start a brand new forum so that I could get responses.

Men, I've read a LOT of posts in this site and you guys help and support ppl through difficult times or their lives.

Wether or not to get tested, the freaking out of "last night", the 13 week wait "window period", the "per-incident risk", ...

I have suffered the same issues and today I'm freaking out since I'm about to leave the office in order to get my HIV exam, so I'm making numbers as much as I can trying to say to myself that the "per-incident" numbers and the 100% of the times I've used condoms will help me, however, I'm not getting as much support as the other guys

My question is, why?
Why am I banned from having support?

Wasn't aidsmeds.com devoted to helping ppl with information?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 04:52:34 pm »
Oris,

You know full well that you're not permitted to post in the poz only Forums, yet today you've posted in Living With. Rest assured your thread has been reported.

Perhaps people would be more willing to help you if you abided by the rules of the Forums.

Ya dig?

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 04:59:23 pm »
oris,

You need to get a grip. For a start, you're not banned - YET. Threaten one more time to use a proxy to get around our one account per person and you will be banned. You're lucky I don't ban you now for your disregard of our rules.

If you've always used condoms like you say you have, then you have nothing to fear. Your test result will be negative.

Now please, calm down.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 06:16:03 pm »
ok so if I don't have HIV I CAN'T post in the living with HIV?
or in the meds?

For instance today I read about Ambush, which won't make you HIV- but will make your viral loads undetectable, and then you won't have to take any medication. However, I searched "Ambush" in this forums and found nothing, so I wanted to know if it's a crappy web sites that I found of it some people have heard about it.

"What is it? The CURE, named AMBUSH is an EXTRACT from “The PALM’ plant to which there are 3000 species. On examination of AMBUSH, the active ingredient is found to be an isotope of uranium with an amino side group. What is the dose? The dose is 60 ml three times daily for 21 days and the concentration is measured by the ‘taste’ factor.

I understand that I have anti-virus for varicela, for example, so I won't be able to ever get rid of those antibodies.

I love this site gives me so much information, I just want responses that's it :)

Thank you Ann, I'm going to the hospital now

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 06:24:30 pm »
That's right. Stay out of the HIV+ sections. Period.

Andy Velez

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 08:55:16 pm »
ok what about the Research News and Studies

Ann and dog RapidRod I tested negative

I freaked out since I didn't understood the results

Here are the results:

HIV 1+2
MEIA

Discriminatory index: 1.0
Non reactive: < 1.0
reactive >= 1.0

My index is 0.301

no antibodies as explained by the doctor

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2007, 08:58:52 pm »
The results are a clear negative. Your index result is under the threshold for a positive result.

It's time you moved on.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2007, 09:39:13 pm »
Maybe you're addicted to freaking out.

And to drama.

Those are maybes.

What is for sure is that you have tested negative for HIV. You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

It's time to get on with your life.

Andy Velez

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2007, 10:34:48 pm »
I've calculated that in the last 6 weeks I've had sex 4 times
since the average time for seroconversion is 25 days, I just assume that all the incidents (around 20+ times) with prostitutes (and 12 with my ex gf) didn't have any consecuences

So I'm very relaxed now since I know that I've used condoms in the last 6 weeks, I don't know if I need to take another exam after a month or so.

Anyway, yes I'm a paranoid.

I was raised a Christian expecting not to have sex until I was 25-30 and married. However I couldn't hold it, so at 19 I went with a hooker, I did Western Bloot, I did like 3 Elisas, all came negative, but ended up really fucked up.

My whole family knew, I was freaking out, ended up taking drugs like an animal and I suffered so much I ended in a hospital to relax since I took so much drug I nearly ended my lifetime.

Today, I went to the hospital alone, took my test, scared (I can't say no), but for me this is a big step

This website has shown me, a book and various ads across my city have shown me that taking HIV exams is being responsible

As responsible as it sounds, I don't like taking them. Too much suffering, so I prefer to move on

I've read so much on HIV I know more info that the red cross guys here, I know about pep, per incident risk (as stated by the CDC), percentage, chances, probabilities.... I've read so much during the last few days that I'm fucking tired of all this reading.

All I know is that I have a lame year and I want to recover from it, and I know I've had sex 4 times in the last 6 weeks, all with condom, so I am relaxed now, I know an HIV exam is not needed, and my mental health is back on

I cannot express in words how grateful I am for the information

At one point in my life I actually thought sleeping with a sex worker puts me like in 10% of getting aids

yep, I was frightened to every thing. Now I understand hiv is a virus, it's not a death sentence, and I understand the risk, the odds, and the actual science.

This information for me has been useful.

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2007, 08:10:15 pm »
Hello
Today I went to the hospital, HIV negative

I took a western blot because I thought it actually searches for the HIV virus instead of the antibodies, however the doctor told me that it searches for the antibodies and I think the told me that it also searches for the viral load

Anyway the last time I was taken blood was one week ago and the test came back negative, that was 22 after my last exposure with a prostitute (no oral sex, used condoms, didn't breaked)

I promised myself never to pay for sex again, but yesterday I made a mistake

I kissed a lot (french kissing), and inside the jacuzzi, I had sex (protected). I also fingered fucked her and I also performed oral sex to her, all this inside the jacuzzi. Then in the bed we had sex, but lasted like 2 minutes since I didn't ejaculated. The oral sex inside the jacuzzi was actually diving inside the jacuzzi, and after that I lifted her to the top of the jacuzzi so her vagina was floating in the water.

My question is for ANN PLEASE

I went to the doctor today because I have a VERY SMALL rash in my finger. The doctor said that it's recovering and that it must be at least 4 days old. The size of this rash is like the end of the needle, is like a point, it's so small but I was freaking out.

So he explained me that inside the jacuzzi the condom offers protection, and that the HIV virus is very difficult to transmit (he confirmed the 1/100 possibility from women to man), so when the vaginal secretions leave the vagina, into the water, (and the water has chemicals), it's VERY difficult to travel, so the virus dies. Anyway, the virus must go into the water, then upside the condom, and into the urethra.

When we finished making love, I went to the bathroom, I inflated the condom with water, no signs of holes, so I was very confident.

However today in the hospital, the orthodontist said that I haven't cleaned my teeth with professionals like in 3 years, so, my gums are swollen, they should be pink and they are red.

Therefore, I am afraid I have contracted HIV. The doctor explained me that the skin covers effectively against any vaginal secretions, and since I was in the jacuzzi and I licked her clitoris, the chances are small, but not as small as my sore in my finger. He told me that the blood that I see in my finger are red cells that are in the outer "roof" (so to speak). SO he told me that if we are inside a room, and it rains outside, the roof covers us. Same with blood. There are different levels, so those are barely red cells from the outer skin, and the sore is so dam small and 4 days old, so that I shouldn't worry.

Anyway, he told me that with swollen gums, the barrier is no longer effective. Without skin, there would be no barrier, 100% of the vaginal fluid will enter my system. With good gums, the barrier is effective. However with swollen gums the barrier doesn't works, it's half useless.

This scared the shit out of me, however he told me that I was in the jacuzzi my chance could be like 1/1000 or 1/5000, really small. HE told me he will not give me PEP because chances are so small.

Anyway, he told me that if I would live with an HIV positive woman, and she would brush her teeth, and she would have swollen gums, and blood will come out of it, and into the toothbrush, and I would also have swollen gums, and right away (before the virus dies) I would brush my teeth, then that blood will enter my bloodstream through the swollen gums and I would get infected.

So, my question is this, ANN PLEASE REPLY

You are HIV positive and you've stated that you do not use condoms for oral sex.

Do I need to be bleeding, and have an open sore in my mouth, in order to get infected?

I licked her clitoris a lot, is there any chance that by licking her clitoris, which has a small amount of vaginal load, and her inner lips, (all of this inside the jacuzzi, diving, and then with the vagina floating on top of the water), I could get infected because of my swollen gums?

I brushed my teeth 6 hours before the sexual act, and around 1 hour before sex we eat.

So I am afraid that I might have eaten something that might have made me bleed in such a small amount that I didn't noticed, and then, through that open sore, or through the swollen gums, my skin will be half effective as a normal skin, so I might have get infected.

I think the odds are in my favor because I licked with the tip of my tounge, I didn't inserted my tounge into her vagina, I licked all her inner lips and her clitoris, all of this with my tounge. So you've stated that HIV is difficult to transmit, especially from a woman to a man. I think that a lot of vaginal fluid needs to enter my mouth in order to infect me.

However, I am having a lot of doubts lately, and I know I´ve heard swollen gums before

I really appreciate your responses.

Regards
Xavier

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 09:23:36 pm »
Xavier,

You can direct your questions to whoever you wish, but you'll be answered by the first expert who gets to you.

As for the matter you raise, I have to say your doctor is talking a lot of horse poopie. You cannot contract HIV from getting vaginal fluid in your mouth, even if your gums are swollen. No matter how you try and slice this, our answers to you are not going to change.

It's about time that you stopped fretting about HIV and trying to find someone who will pander to your unreasonable fears about this issue. If you really want to help yourself you should seek the assistance of a mental health professional.

You've been warned before that your getting perilously close to being timed out. You might want to consider that before you post about this again.

Oh and if your gums are swollen, see a dentist.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2007, 05:17:47 am »
Xavier,

In reply #31, you said, "I was raised a Christian expecting not to have sex until I was 25-30 and married."

This sense of religious guilt is your problem, not hiv. Religious belief systems are meant to give you succour, not make you a nervous wreak. Perhaps it's time you talked to a mental health care professional about your belief system and the overwhelming guilt it's causing you. We can't help you with that here.

You used a condom - therefore you didn't have a risk for hiv infection. I'd have thought you would have learned that by now. All the stuff you bring to us in your latest post has already been discussed in this thread. Re-read it if you need reassurance.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2007, 01:55:58 pm »
Yesterday I talked with an HIV specialist here in Ecuador

average 22 days
65% 4-6 weeks
80% - 12 weeks
100% - 6 months

1 case in the world were the seroconversion was done after 6 months

He agreed with http://www.cdc.gov/, stated that the risk of getting HIV from a woman is around 1/2000
However, if the woman has a lot of viral load, has infections, other STDs... the risk might increase but never to over 1/100
However he also told me that the risk of getting HIV is 25% if the girl has syphilis

He also told me that the PCR exam can detect after 72 hours of exposure, and that the false positives are very rare.
However, the viral load should be greater than 400 copies/ml (in the PCR way) and 25 copies/ml (DNA) in order to be detected by the PCR exam.

He told me that 2-6 weeks after getting infected, the viral load is VERY HIGH (didn't specified how much), and after that there is an asymptomatic period that lasts 1-12 years.

After that, when the CD4 cells get lower than 200, the person has AIDS.

So in theory if a girl catches the virus and I am exposed to her afer 1-15 days the risk of getting the virus is incredibly small, then 2-6 weeks the risk increases, and after that the risk is relatively low (according to the statistics of the CDC)

He told me that PEP eliminates HIV in 80% but ONLY if taken in the first 6 hours post-exposure.
If I take pills >24 hours, the odds of eliminating the virus is only 25%

He told me that if I take PEP, and do a PCR exam, I might get a false negative because PEP will make my viral load to be undetectable.

He told me that if I brush my teeth 2 hours before or after giving oral sex I might have a risk but the risk is hipotetical.

He has discordant couples who use condoms, some have their viral load in undetectable level, and some have a high viral load. They do not get HIV, they have the doctor approval to have oral sex, and they always use condoms.

He told me that if he knows that one of his children has given oral sex to a woman, he will not give him PEP. If he would have protected sex without condom breakage, he will not give him PEP. He told me that if he would have unprotected sex or condom breakage, he will give him PEP.

So please don't get angry, I just know most of you will tell I'm freaked out.  I just want to be informed since all the information from the doctor is the same as this information (again has worked for years testing hundreds and hundreds of hiv patients) except two things

1) test time, here they tell 6 weeks is more than enough
2) risk, people here say the infectologist have estimated a risk of 1/2000 for unprotected sex, and depending on other factors, it could raise (period of the girl, vaginal fluid, other STDs...) but never over 1/100

He told me that the risk is 25% if she has syphilis

My story, I slept around 35 times with around 20 prostitues (not proud of it), last exposure was this week.
I never ever have not used condom or have had condom failure.

last exam was yesterday, came back negative.

I've given oral sex around 10 times, all without protection.

Just please don't judge me I just want to know the info since some ppl tell me to wait 4-6 weeks, other people tell me to wait 6 months.

Thanks for your answers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2007, 02:01:27 pm »
1) test time, here they tell 6 weeks is more than enough

No, we don't. We say that while most people will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, if there has actually been a risk, only a three month negative is conclusive.

You haven't had a risk. Your last result was negative because you ARE hiv negative.

And don't try to YIM me again. Got it?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2007, 03:11:22 pm »
Sorry Ann

I've read here ppl that say that "all but the smallest will seroconvert in 4-6 weeks"

This doctor told me 65% will do so in 4-6 weeks, 80% in 12 weeks

So 80% to me doesn't seems conclusive

And the syphilis increased the risk from 1/2000 - 1/100 to 1/4?

Is that true?

Anyway today I'm going to see this sex worker, she was tested negative the day after we got together.

I believe they ask all sorts of exams, vaginal infections, STDs....

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2007, 03:57:37 pm »
Orish,

Sure you've read that, and it's posted on this forum because it's true. That doesn't change the fact that at the time of writing, only the three month negative result is conclusive - where there has actually been a risk. What you don't seem to understand is that you have NOT had a risk.

Even the ultra-conservative CDC says the three month window is conclusive in all but a few rare cases. These rare cases aren't ordinary people, they're people with SERIOUS pre-existing conditions. If you have to ask who these people might be, then you aren't one of them.

I'm fully expecting the official window period to drop to six weeks in the next few years. But until that happens, only three months is conclusive - and it IS conclusive.

As regards to the numbers you post concerning syphilis, I don't put much stock in them. If you're wearing a condom, it doesn't matter anyway.

Between you attempting to create a second account and your incessant posting about the same no-risk incident, you are quickly headed for a time out. Please read the Welcome Thread and take heed of our forum posting guidelines. Consider yourself warned.

Oh, and by the way, you say you're going to visit the sex worker again today and from the way you talk about it, I assume you intend to give her the third degree about her sexual health. Leave the poor woman alone. You used a condom and you weren't at risk.

Ann
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 03:59:38 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2007, 02:17:30 pm »
Ok I'm going to tell my history

When I was 19 I went with a sex worker and then I freaked out, I had to take mental pills in order to relax and it was a nightmare

Then I went to this site and learned a lot about HIV, and then for one year I slept with around 15 prostitutes. I also had a girlfriend and had sex around 30 times

However, Ann recommended me to take an HIV exam, so I freaked out. I've tested negative, but then I made a mistake.

For some reason I saw a thing in my tongue that seemed like blood (this was the day after sex). I went to see a doctor and he told me my swollen glands only protect me 50%.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE IN ECUADOR KNOW SHIT ABOUT HIV

So I freaked out and start taking PEP

Next day I saw the girl and she said she tested negative for all STDs including HIV (she had to take an HIV exam in order to work), and she told me that they told her how to put a condom and a very light HIV education. She also told me that in the last 3 months she hasn't had a sexual partner, except for 3 weeks in which she worked, and she told me that she always used a condom. She also told me she remembers that when we had sex everything went fine with the condom, no breakage or anything similar.

34 hours after the exposure I started taking PEP, since the doctor told me my risk is small, but it was a risk, around 1 in 5000

Then, 44 hours after the exposure, I was drinking and I didn't vomited or got very drunk but I had at least 5 glasses of rum and whiskey, so I don't know if that makes the PEP useless.

today is Wednesday, yesterday I counted my pills (the doctor told me to take 2 per day, one in the morning one in the afternoon) and I had taken 11 pills, so some day I missed one pill.

I am ready to drop the pills and take a PCR in order to get over this.

My questions are
1) how much time I need to wait until I stop taking PEP in order to get a conclusive PCR exam?
2) How can I get a PCR exam in the US? (I'm travelling on friday to the US)
3) Is it true that the 6 post exposure hours are the key in starting to take PEP?
The nurse that sold me the PEP told me that since I was taking PEP after 34 hours, it was basically only a 25% protection or less.
4) If I continue on PEP, can I get a conclusive HIV exam and the 6 week mark (antibodies) or do I need to wake another 6 weeks after the end of the 4th week of PEP? Can I take a PCR exam one week after the 4th week of PEP?
5) What is the rate of false positives of PCR?

I realize I am making mistakes by suffering too much and this will affect me in the following 5 weeks, I freaked out because of the oral sex. Regarding the condom after we had sex I went to the bathroom, inflated the condom to see if it had any water leaks, it did not.

Ann sorry for my actions I just thought nobody was going to answer my 5 puntual questions cause I've already asked them so many times, PEP, I know something about PEP but not that much

Today I saw my tongue and the 'blood' is actually a very small piece of skin, that is in the outer skin of my mouth, like a gum that's hanging from a roof. So if I move it with my finger, it appears to be tiny spots of blood, but it's the same skin, it's red.

I realize taking PEP for 3 more weeks will make me thing about HIV every single day and that will not be good for my own mental health.

Thanks in advance

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2007, 02:43:11 pm »
orish,

This has gone on long enough. On August 4th, you told us a doctor said you didn't need PEP - and now you're telling us you're on PEP? We agree with the doctor here, you don't need PEP.

We don't seem to be getting through to you that you have not had a risk and you ARE hiv negative. That's why your test results are negative.

You are very, VERY close to being given a time out. The following posting guideline appears in our Welcome Thread and you should have read it by now:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2007, 06:22:20 pm »
ok, so any chance of answering my questions please?

I just want to stop taking the pills and forget about this

please just consider that I had a lot of drinks that night I was just scared since I might have done something that I don't remember

I clearly remember how she placed the condom, how I made oral to her, how I used the condom (being as paranoid as I am), then we went to bed, and since I didn't had much pleasure cause of the drinks and condom I just pulled off, went to the bathroom, checked the condom for a water based leak, and then put the condom away.

Is there any chance I can please get the answers for my questions?

Thank you Ann you've been a blessing in my life

I took PEP because the doctor here told me that I had only 50% of protection from my swollen gums, that freaked me out since that basically means 50% chance of letting any fluid get into my blood stream.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2007, 06:42:10 pm »
Oris,

It's time for you to cut the crap.

You don't have HIV. You never were at risk. Therefore you don't need to take PEP. So simply stop taking the damned pills.

It's that simple.

MtD

Offline orishaspollo

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2007, 07:17:00 pm »
Ok
so I stop taking the pills today, after how much time I can take a PCR exam in order to put my mind at ease?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2007, 07:20:15 pm »
YOU DON'T NEED TO HAVE A BLOODY TEST BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE HIV!

Are you listening?

Obviously not because clearly you missed what Ann told you earlier:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Ya dig?

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.