Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:50:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 215
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla  (Read 13701 times)

Offline Oh501sguy

Atripla
« on: May 08, 2008, 05:51:49 pm »
Hey all... I started Atripla about a month and a half ago.  I noticed that Im gaining weight..(getting fat).  Its mostly in the stomach, but
at the same time Im always hungry... I now starting to get back to the gym, but wondering if anyone else has side effects from this med?

BobF

Re: Atripla
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 06:42:55 pm »
Hi ... yep, I've had the same issue.   My weight is up by 20 lbs since starting Atripla last September :(    I don't eat more, but sense my metabolism must be different.

Bob

Offline Desertguy

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:54:12 pm »
Yep gained 20 lbs since Oct, hungry all the time .  Have started to work out a little more but hard due to knee.  Going to have op on it on the 23rd.  I try to watch what I eat veggies & fruit.  Quit the cookies & ice cream (SHIT)  Girl friend just told me that my stomach is bigger but have lost a little weight.   At least I don't get the dicki doo award!!!!   Where your stomach is so big you can't see what your dickie do!!!

The dreams have also stopped (Shit again)  I liked them.   It also knocks me out at nite leaves me a little dopey in the am.   GF says I'm dopey anyway.
But the stuff works so I guess we gotta do what we gotta do huh!  New blood work on June 16th, 3 mos since went from T cells 120 to 429 & 24%  viral load 320 (970,000) in 4 months so hope for undetectable & higher T cells.

Dennis

Offline Esquire

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:23:43 pm »
It certainly has been a sea change - the concern used to be wasting, and now it's gaining weight (I'll take the latter any day!).  I've managed to keep off the poundage by increasing my cardio workouts, but I agree the switch to Atripla 20 months ago increased my appetite.
Esq.

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 02:34:11 am »
Atripla, or in my case Truvada/Sustiva (two pills) caused me to totally lose my appetite and find food disgusting.  I was unable to eat at all, and lost a great deal of weight.
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline pink_beauty

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 04:43:51 pm »
I start Atripla tonight. I really hope that I don't gain weight! I am already overweight, I don't need anymore help! lol.
6/2008: VL 400
4/7/08: CD4-537 VL-107,000
4/25/08: VL- 175,000
5/13/08: Started Atripla

Offline JockNYC74

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 06:21:54 am »
I'm not convinced that Atripla causes weight gain but it is interesting that a lot of people here are talking about it. I am on Atripla and my weight has been stable

A couple of things--

-sometimes people happen to have certain side effects or changes and they are just a coincidence with their new medications. I work in healthcare and this happens all the time. The weight gain issues may or may not be related to the Atripla but just coincidental

-to all those with weight gains- make sure your MD has checked your thyroid (TSH) as I had a concurrent thyroiditis with my infection and now have chronic thyroid issues (which can cause weight gain)

Ed
1/07, Seroconversion illness
2/07, Diagnosed VL 300,000 for 2-3 months, TCells 800-900
4/7- 7/07 -Started on Kaletra/Atripla induction therapy
7/07- present- Switched to Atripla only
VL <50 and TCells around 1000- since month 2 of treatment

Offline Esquire

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 04:42:01 pm »
Actually, when I switched to Atripla the doc mentioned that I might gain some weight.  I don't recall seeing this as a side effect in the official literature, so perhaps this is just one of those anecdotal side effects that he has seen in his patients. 
Esq.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 03:05:06 am »
Actually this is the first that I heard of weight gain with Atripla. I have gained weight but the culprit is my depo shot. I gained 15 pounds since last July my primary doctor told me. And I agree, I would rather be a bit chubby or as I call it, thick than getting smaller. And it hasn't done anything, the Atripla to increase my appetite.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline vivyt

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 12:00:18 am »
I have been on Atripla for about a year and have gained a lot of weight. My ID doctor said that it does not cause weight gain but I am not sure. I don't know how much of it is the medicine or the fact that I went through a "wasting" period and lost a lot of weight. I definitely think my metabolism has slowed tremendously but again that could be due to the wasting...

Offline chasrebel

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 04:50:57 pm »
I have been on Atripla for two years and went from 182 to 219, waist 32-34 to 38.  I tried eating "healthy" food, salads, lots of fruit and raw veggies, broiled or grilled chicken and fish.  Last week, eating salads only with no cheese, croutons, etc. I gained 5 pounds.  So I really think it is the Atripla.  Like others, I find I am always hungry, but that I combat by drinking lots and lots of water.  I could refloat the Titanic I drink so much water.

Offline PaxPoz

• Peace begins with oneself
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 05:32:33 pm »
My Dr. just switched me to Atripla from Combivir/Sustiva.  The reason was that I've been losing weight (around 230 pounds in Jan. 2002 to 171 currently; a tight 36 inch waist down to a loose 32 inch waist).  My legs and arms were getting veiny and my rear was vanishing.  Even new clothes that I bought to fit me would start loosening up again.  I very definitely was not trying to lose any weight; it was just disappearing.
Since going on Atripla, I do appear to have a better appetite than before so I hope I can gain some of my weight back.

Paul

Offline filmjimwest

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 09:12:04 am »
Hello guys,
I am new to this forum. I was diagnosed with HIV in Feb of this year. After a couple of blood draws, my doc has decided to start me on Atripla. I started last night and have to say no major side effects. I did have slight dizziness, but no vivid dreams or tired feeling this morning. Actually, it was the first full night of rest that I have gotten, since being diagnosed.   :)  Do side effects happen right away? Should I expect anything severe? Just wondering if anyone had a waiting period for the side effects. My doc told me that if you don't notice any within a month or so, you will probably be free and clear. Other than the HIV, I am in good health.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 12:25:21 pm »
filmjimwest -- welcome to our forums!  I'm glad you found us.

Atripla contains Sustiva, and you should read our helpful lesson called Tips & Tricks on Taking Sustiva.  It will tell you what to expect over the next few days and weeks.  Sounds like you're off to an easy start.

Peter Staley
Founder
AIDSmeds.com

Offline hotmenz

• John Mendez Design
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 01:26:53 pm »
OMG! Im Starving, Even right now. I used to be able to go through my day till about 3:30pm with just an apple or some fruit, but now I can eat a F****n horse first thing in the morning. I have dropped 20 lbs this past year (trying to get in shape) and succeeded my goal weight 170 & size 28 jeans (not bad for 43) just before I went on Atripla. It's been close to 3 weeks now & I am starting to notice my thighs are a little more muscular near the knee region. my waist thankfully is the same. I am a vegiterian so I am really trying to stick with veggies & beans with little carbs. I never liked pasta before, but now I crave it! I could eat pasta all day long.  :P
You Get What You Give! I Am Perfect Whole & Complete!

Offline Gavinfromlondon

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 04:51:57 pm »
I guys I am a newbie and was hoping to share information and help. I was diagniosed at coversion on the 12 th May 2008
I was given my results a week later from thh consulant and they were cd4 of 158 and Vir Load of 7.1 million. I ws pretty unwell I recall. I was out on Secprin to project me from PCP and I sayed on this for three months.

my counts have been since:

May CD4 158 Vr 7.1milll
June CD4 250 Vr 760,000
June ( end of month ) CD4 270 Vv 79000
July CD4 358 Vr 22,000
last weeks results CD4 unchanged at 358 and Viral load increase to 45,000

YesterdaY was was put on Atripla and took my first med last night. Iam feeling okay, a bit sick ( I have a script for domperidone ) to help, and am about to take my second does,

Can any one else in my situation give me some guidence please it would really be appreicated

Gavin

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gavinfromlondon

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 04:55:38 pm »
I guys I am a newbie and was hoping to share information and help. I was diagniosed at coversion on the 12 th May 2008I was given my results a week later from thh consulant and they were cd4 of 158 and Vir Load of 7.1 million. I ws pretty unwell I recall. I was out on Secprin to project me from PCP and I sayed on this for three months.my counts have been since:May CD4 158 Vr 7.1milllJune CD4 250 Vr 760,000June ( end of month ) CD4 270 Vv 79000July CD4 358 Vr 22,000last weeks results CD4 unchanged at 358 and Viral load increase to 45,000YesterdaY was was put on Atripla and took my first med last night. Iam feeling okay, a bit sick ( I have a script for domperidone ) to help, and am about to take my second does, Can any one else in my situation give me some guidence please it would really be appreicated Gavin

Offline Gavinfromlondon

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 04:51:54 pm »
An update on the results, six weeks on Atrilpa I have a vl count of 150 and CD4 of 348 , side effect where not too bad actually so doing well !

Offline ArisGreekSquared

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 12:59:11 pm »
Really? You guys have gained weight from Atripla? Geezus, I've lost weight! I've lost 12lbs since I've been on it and I've been sticking to my normal workout regiment and nutrition plan.

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 01:24:20 pm »
My third try on Sustiva/Truvada (same as Atripla) is the charm - no side effect other than dizziness at night for around 6 hours after ingesting. 

The side effect I experienced previously came from the TB apparently.  But regarding weight loss or gain - before this current initiation of ARV I had lost about 45 pounds due to TB, then gained about 20 pounds back very rapidly after  beginning TB meds.  However since I have started Sustiva/Truvada I have only gained around another 5 pounds (of course that is in just a couple months). 

I'm now at a weight I would like to keep but I have no idea where things are going.  One things's for sure though, my metabolism seems about the same - I eat moderately and don't experience any unusual hunger.  Hope I can keep that last 20-25 pounds from coming back!
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.