Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:12:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 231
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tested HIV+ almost a month. Gotta start medication. Can't believe it.  (Read 6121 times)

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
Hi all:

Well, I do not know exactly what to say. The only thing I can think about is that I am here, for some reason I do not clearly understand. Perhaps not to feel alone. Perhaps, to know that there are others like me. i have very good friends , who have been with me in everything (From the college time, they know I am gay, they were the first I called when I tested positive).

What Can I say about me? well I am a 25 years old guy from Colombia (Southamerica). I have been in ths US and Europe in vacations. And God, I am afraid.

Well, that's all.

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline Cliff

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forums.  Things will get better soon!  Keep your head up.  Getting a positive diagnosis can be scary...so you're not alone.

Do you have any local support organizations where you can find out if there are any support groups or counseling available for people who are HIV positive?

Cliff

Offline allopathicholistic

It's great you have good friends. We're here for you and I predict you will regard us as a tremendous help in many areas e.g. disclosure, bloodwork, asking your healthcare provider tough questions, etc. .......HIV is global so you're not alone. Just curious: Who told you you "Gotta" start medication? What reasons did they give you? WHEN did they say you "Gotta" start? ~~ Alex

Offline Eldon

Hello Alexander, it is Eldon. Welcome to the forums where you will find understanding, support, love, and answers to many of your questions relating to HIV/AIDS.

Feel free to vent your feelings here on the forum.

Offline uberstomper

alex..   I experienced the same thing.. month after diagnoses  and had to start meds,    been a year now and im doing very well   so dont fret it..   goodluck

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
Well, first of all, I want to thank you Cliff , Alex, Eldon and Uberstomper. When I wrote this morning, I wasn't expecting such a fast and warm welcome here. So, thanks again

When I was surfing these forums, I saw that many of you were putting your numbers and other data. And because Mama taught to be polite, then I decided to share my numbers with you (they are @ my signature).

Yes. There are a few organizations here, but I am kinda shy to go. I am trying to take all this with as much calm as I can. I mean, as you can see, I was just diagnosed, and all this has put my life upside-down. Actually I just began last week my psychiatric appointments (I guess I also need a mental expert), and It felt good.

No one told me I HAD to start medication. But my doctor (whom I am calling my lover, because from now on, we will see each other often and in secret -I'll explain this in a minute-) was quite clear explaining what could happen to me if I crossed the below-200 CD4 barrier. So I decided to think about it for a week-deciding I'll begin treatment-, and I'll pick up my medications next Thursday.

I said we'll meet in secret, because I have decided (for now) not to tell anyone. Only 3 friends now about it. Fortunately, I had the numbers of the people I've had sex with, so I called them. Ew...that was tough, but I guess that was the right thing to do. And because I am single right now, I do not have to handle the relationship-crisis now.

Right now he (My doc) is @ Canada, in the AIDS conference. He told me to wait for him to come back, so we can meet again to begin my medicines..

What will I begin with? well, I'll begin with Efavirenz (take 3 pills before going to bed) and Combivir (one at breakfast, one at dinner time). he suggested I take Combivir with my meals.

Let's see what happens. I'll keep you updated.

Alex

PS: I do not know about you...but It feels good writing about this...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 12:02:12 am by LatinAlexander »
Poz since Jul 19 2006
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
Looking for my Ben....

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Alex, welcome to your "other" family...  It sounds very much to me like you have things in hand and are moving in the right direction with the help of your "lover".....   Your not far off... You should develop a very close relationship with your ID Doc.  As well, pull up a soft cushy chair and keep talking to us..  We are here for you.

Love

Offline DancerBoy

Alex-
   joining this forum is a great step.  These people have been remarkably important and special in my life since my diagnosis and I'm sure they'll be the same to you...
Try not to be too scared.... You'll be ok... I promise.
Boys are Stupid

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
Bonjour Alex,

I am truly sorry about your newly found status.
The good news is that you have found this place and that is a big plus. When in need of information you have hundreds of people here who have been through the same shit who can answer you. And when you need to express your feelings there are hundreds who understand because we're all HIV+.

A very warm welcome to the family :-* :-*

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline DanielMark

Hi Alex,

I'm sure your head and heart are swimming right now.

Know that with the proper treatment and good health habits you'll be (God willing) around for a long time to come. Good to know you have a supportive group of friends at home as well.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline blondbeauty

Re: Tested HIV+ almost a month. Gotta start medication. Can't believe it.
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 06:36:27 am »
Alex, sorry for your diagnosis. I found out last year. People in this site helped me a lot more than you can imagine. I started meds two days ago. It is very soon to say if I will do well on these meds but at least they make me feel safe. You should do well but it is going to take you a few months to feel as you felt before knowing you are hiv+.
With time you will be happy again.
Hugs.
Juan (Madrid-Spain)
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
Re: Tested HIV+ almost a month. Gotta start medication. Can't believe it.
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 01:00:40 pm »
Thanks. Thanks a lot Eric, DancerBoy, Frenchpat, DanielMark and BlondBeauty. I feel much beter now, knowing that many of you have walked this path before.

Poz since Jul 19 2006
Looking for my Ben....

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.