Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:28:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 361
Total: 365

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 1st-time on meds and Xtremely de-moralized  (Read 8034 times)

Offline equinoxV

1st-time on meds and Xtremely de-moralized
« on: November 02, 2006, 11:53:42 pm »
HOLY-CRA* IS THAT SHI* AWFUL!!!
Anyway i am writing because i have just started meds for the first time and it is a one-a-day pill called Atripla which consists of Sustiva (600mg), Viread (300mg) and Emtriva (200mg). (1100 mg(!) of any medication sounds toxic to me by the way.)  i must say that before starting this med or any med that i was really excited and optimistic. Now after starting it i find that i am extremely de-moralized and pessimistic since i have had nothing but an awful reaction to it. At worst i am retching my guts out over the toilet and sobbing afterwards as well as having intense long migraine type headaches (that on a scale of 1-10 on pain seem like an 8+) and this always seems to be accompanied with nausea. At best i am totally lethargic, always tired and have great difficulty having any kind of productive day. Because of this and because my employment may be in jeopardy due to taking too much time off i am not going to continue with meds at this time. Basically i am just curious if anyone else has had the same trouble i have had with starting meds and what may be some easier more tolerable meds to start on (if any)???

Thanks All,

Matthew / my screen name profile on poz.com is equinoxV as well
i have a personal profile on poz.com using the screen name equinoxV

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: 1st-time on meds and Xtremely de-moralized
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 11:59:37 pm »
At best i am totally lethargic, always tired and have great difficulty having any kind of productive day. Because of this and because my employment may be in jeopardy due to taking too much time off i am not going to continue with meds at this time.

Please tell us you made this decision with your doctor's approval. When I first started meds I was sick for about 6 days. My body was "adjusting" ... Tell us what your doctor said to you. That would help us help you. We're here for you. Hang in there.

Offline roadlesstraveled

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 12:16:58 am »
equinoxV, hang in there buddie it will get better. I promise! I've been on Atripla for a little over three months and now I have absolutely zero side effects. I agree the first couple weeks was weird but afterward, no problem. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't stop until you discuss it with your doc. There are many other choices out there, all having some type of side affect. Be stong, homie!
Man never knows precisly what is right. So torn between a purpose and a doubt, he first builds windows to let the light in, then hangs curtains to shut it out.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 03:28:44 am »
Hey hello

Atripla is an effective combo.  Oh lucky buggers who have minimal/no side effects....things do usually settle down in a few weeks.  Nausea etc are treatable with other drugs. This is common with all sorts of combos, esp. at the beginning. I personally would expect my doc to give me sommat for it no questions asked (and, er, the other end of the gut too if needed). If you wanna try stick it out, speak to your doc about this.

Short or long term, if the side effects are too much/don't settle, esp. if affecting your work, it's reasonable to think about another combo. Or insist. There are many other good ones.  Atripla is the only 1 x day three-drugs-in-one-tablet combo at present, so a different combo will mean more tabs.  It is still possible though to get a 1 x day combo with different meds.

Like the poster above says, all combos may have some type of side effects. Reaction to combo is very individual.  What is easy for one person can be hell for another (and, er, the other way round I guess).

If your CD4 count is fair, you could think about stopping for now and starting treatment at a later date when you have time to be gentle on yourself, rest, adjust, deal with any short-term side-effects.

If you want me to run through the usual first-line combos, please ask.  Info on these on this website: When Should I Start Treatment, and What Should I Take First?.

- matt  :)
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Christine

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 11:29:56 am »
Hi Matthew,

I have had a lot of side effects from the meds I have been on, which since '93 has been just about everyone out there. Usually within the first 2-4 weeks, the side effects do become tolearable.

There are medications for nausea, vomitting that do help to get you through the bad period. At one point I was on Lexiva and Invirase, and they caused such severe nausea/ vomitting for months that I did have to switch those drugs.

Since all our bodies are different, how one responds can be very individual. Talk to your doctor about what is happening. There are alternatives, and there are meds to help with the side effects.

You are not alone. Many of my days have been spent in the bathroom. Hang in there.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline gay4kink

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 05:29:42 pm »
As already stated, please talk this over with your doc, before you make any changes.  I'll admit that I am one of the lucky ones with really no side effect when I started Atripla about 4 weeks ago.  However, from what I do know from people who have had difficulties there are things you can do to manage them, and they typically dissapear.

Also, avoid taking Atripla with food.  Ideally, take it at night before you go to bed on an empty stomach.  You didn't mention how you were taking it so just a simple change of when/how you take that one pill a day could have a big impact.

I hope Atripla works out for you, but if not, discussing it with your doc first before making a change is really the best thing to do.  Call him, if you haven't already.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 10:15:40 pm »
Hey Matthew,
As the others have said, please call your doc and let him know what's going on.

I've been on meds since 96 and, like Christine, had a brush with Invirase, although back then it was called Saquinovir. YIKES!

I switched because I simply couldn't tolerate it. But I did it by first going to my doc and telling her what was going on because I didn't want to screw up my chances of staying healthy.

As for 1,100mgs being a toxic dose of any med, I am taking 2,400mgs of one drug alone, plus two other ARVs, three medications for cholesterol, another for stomach problems, and two others to deal with breathing problems.

So, don't feel bad about 1,100mgs a day. At least you don't rattle when you walk like I do.  :D

Hang in there and let us know how things work out and you are doing.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 10:17:38 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.