Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:20:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 516
Total: 517

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Advice about switching from Kaletra to Intelence? (correction)  (Read 3622 times)

Offline HowYouDoin

• this is not me but i wish, lol
Advice about switching from Kaletra to Intelence? (correction)
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:59:13 am »
I have concerns about switching from Kaletra/Truvada to INTELENCE and another combo.

I don't mind the twice a day pill taking since I already do it with Kaletra but I have been noticing my chest gaining fat along with my belly and I been on Kaletra for 2 years almost and went from 170 lbs to 185-190 lbs. People continue to act surprise why I have gained weight and I am only 29 years old.

Also, my liver function is way up and has been like that for 2 years, bad digestion, dry mouth. I Have resistance to sustiva and all the drugs in that category Except the newest one in that category, INTELENCE. My doctors says good things about INTELENCE.

*He said that if I have a undetectable VL wtih Kaletra and switch right away to INTELENCE I WILL NOT develop resistance to Kaletra and can always return back to Kaletra if i wish to. is this true?

*He also mentioned that there is less digestive problems with INTELENCE as well as less damage to my liver.

Due to my RESISTANT problem with a few drugs already I don't want to make a uneducated decision even if the doctor tells me that I won't develop resistance to Kaletra. Should I wait a year or two and deal with the consequences of Kaletra and find out a little more about INTELENCE input since it is fairly new? Ugh. any input is appreciated.

Alan
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:58:00 pm by HowYouDoin »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Advice about switching from Kaletra to Isentress?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:29:44 pm »
Isentress, first of all, is not in the same class as Sustiva -- Isentress is in an entirely new class of HIV medications.  Secondly, as far as I know, and from what I can tell from being on Isentress for two years, is that it does not cause one to gain any weight.  I've had no body shape changes at all from it, nor has it screwed with my lipid panel on my labs.  Conversely, Kaletra is in the PI class and is known to elevate lipids, and can also (as many/most PIs) lead to body shape changes where there is an increase in visceral fat (i.e. fat that is not on the surface of the body, but buried where the abdominal lining is around your internal organs).

I'll add that if the fat you are seeing is on the surface and you can as they say "pinch an inch" then you are possibly consuming more calories than you realize.  Keep in mind that though you are 29 one tends to start processing fat differently as they naturally age, and that not all increases in the tummy can be connected to HIV and the accompanying medication.  Are you exercising at all?  If so, in what way and how often?

As far as resistance to Kaletra goes when one switches to Isentress, you need not worry in that regard.  
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: Advice about switching from Kaletra to Isentress?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 12:48:50 pm »

*He said that if I have a undetectable VL wtih Kaletra and switch right away to Isentress I WILL NOT develop resistance to Kaletra and can always return back to Kaletra if i wish to. is this true?

*He also mentioned that there is less digestive problems with Isentress as well as less damage to my liver.

As Miss P states, Isentress is not in the same class as Sustiva. There is a new drug that has a name similar to Isentress that is in the same class as Sustiva, called Intelence.

It's true what your doctor says that if you are undetectable on Kaletra and just make the switch from one to the other you should not develop resistance and you can go back to Kaletra if you want.

You are less likely to have any digestive issues or lipid issues with Isentress. Liver issues are also less likely, based on all the studies so far.

Isentress is an integrase inhibitor. Intelence is in the same class as Sustiva, it is a NNRTI ("non-nuke") and it has been shown to work in people who have resistance to Sustiva. It's a good drug also. Just make sure you're on the same page with your doctor and verify if he is talking about Isentress or Intelence.

I assume that whatever switch you are making you will be staying on Truvada?

Offline HowYouDoin

• this is not me but i wish, lol
Re: Advice about switching from Kaletra to Intelence? (correction)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 04:08:45 pm »
I APOLOGIZE to MIss P and Inchlingbue about the mistake. I meant to say Intelence. Any input?

Offline elf

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 05:09:39 pm »
Hi Alan,

I've been on Kaletra for a year and I've gained 10kg (20 pounds) too, but I'm willing to lose this weight since I don't feel healthy. It's not Kaletra that makes you fat but taking more food than you need. Jogging/running (as well as going to gym) DOES help as well as avoiding carbohydrates. It's strange but you can (and should) eat fatty foods like sardines, walnuts, pisctachios, peanuts and olive oil because they prevent cardiovascular diseases (due to omega-3 acids). The ideal ''Kaletra'' diet should include 60% proteins, 30% ''good'' fat and only 10% carb's.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 05:12:43 pm by elf »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 04:14:10 pm »
There's more data on Isentress than there is on Intelence. I am on Isentress/Truvada, started in July and doing great. No noticeable side effects.

If you don't mind the twice a day dosage why not try Isentress instead of Intelence?

You can always search these forums for each of them, there are several threads that discuss each.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 04:23:47 pm by Inchlingblue »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.