Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:55:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 315
Total: 315

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: BOOOO HIV!! Doc Says Sart Meds Now!  (Read 2820 times)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
BOOOO HIV!! Doc Says Sart Meds Now!
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:45:24 pm »
 Got my new numbers today...not so good.

CD4 355, VL 137000 (17%)

I also developed Psorraisis (sp?) within the last month, it manifested itself as hideous red spots on my legs and arms. Doc says this is due to the sudden drop in CD4's. Just last month I had a CD4 of 589ish and have always hovered around the 500-600 level, hard to believe the drop can happen so fast.  *sigh*

Based on my new readings, and the sudden psoriasis which verifies the drop in CD4, and my low percentage doc says I need to start meds now. She recommends Atripla, which is fine, ive already done the research and think Atripla is the way to go.

But heres the problem, apparently I just cannot go down to the pharmacy with my prescription and get Atripla right NOW.  My case manager has to get me enrolled in some sort of assistance plan to get the medicine paid for, which according to her will take  a few weeks. So in the meantime here I sit stressing and freaking out about the fact that I should be on meds RIGHT NOW not in "a few weeks".

I have Medicare ( Im disabled due to being Bipolar), but apparently Medicare does not cover Atripla or does not cover all of it so she is going to submit my info to the state to get assistance in paying for Atrtipla. In the meantime I wait while this shitty virus destroys my body.

Ive resigned myself to the fact that it's time to start meds but not knowing when ill be able to get the meds is killing me!!!!! :(
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: BOOOO HIV!! Doc Says Sart Meds Now!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:25:26 pm »
Do you have the Medicare Pt. D (for prescriptions) plan already?  If it's like mine then yeah, they'll pay part of your costs but your case manager is also most likely signing you up for your state's ADAP program to cover the rest.  Where I live we have the ability to do a one-month "emergency" thingie until the paperwork is processed, but maybe they don't do that in your state.

I wouldn't worry so much about your numbers over that period of time, though I know you're looking already of how much they changed in one month.  There's nothing written in stone that your cd4 would go on a continual monthly sharp drop, and more than likely if you'd waited another month and had another set of labs done they could have easily show a rise, even if it was only ~400 -- they tend to bobble around.  However, looking at your overall numbers in your sig line it's a fairly good time to go on medication.

But bottom line, you shouldn't really be losing any sleep about this situation, OK?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:12:00 am »
Thanks for your response Miss P , You're right I shouldnt lose any sleep over this but I do tend to over react....excessively :)

Yes, I already have Part D....so yes I guess she (case worker) is trying to get coverage for the amount Part D does not pay. Frankly I need to pay better attention to what she tells me, but my eyes were glazed over and all I heard from her was "blah, blah, blah" (akin to what Charilie Brown here's from his teacher)

Logic dictates that yes numbers will bounce around and I shouldnt live life "blood draw to blood draw". But for me logic and emotion never reconcile with each other and emotion always wins out.

After sleeping on it I realize that I am not going to die tomorrow If I do not get meds immediately and that I need to TRY to just chill out and let my case worker do her thing.

*sigh*
Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 03:51:15 pm »
Is the program that your case worker is trying to get you into ADAP? All ADAPs are slightly different but I know that in Arizona, for example, ADAP will supply one month's supply of meds regardless of whether you eventually qualify for it etc. There's just some initial paperwork and your doctor has to sign it etc. It's basically an initial "emergency" supply for only one month. You might want to ask your case worker or check your local ADAP and see if they also have that policy.

Here is the wording from the website for AZ ADAP:

Do You Have To Wait For An AHCCCS Denial Letter Before Submitting An ADAP Application?

No. We will provide up to 30 days of medication to an ADAP-eligible client as long as you have an appointment scheduled with AHCCCS eligibility. However, we cannot provide further medication without your denial form or letter.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:08:52 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 04:40:35 pm »
Great info!

Ill Check into Texas' ADAP policies.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Highlyfaveured

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 11:30:46 am »
Atripla is very expensive. Do try to get all the help you can.  I receive help from the Ryan White Foundation.  Try to relax through this new chapter in your life, Stress kills.

Offline CalvinC

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 12:39:07 pm »

Hi Willy

I can't comment much on your hiv meds, but I'll mention your psoriasis.

When I converted I too got it all over my legs. I got creams etc but they didn't work. Finally, the skin doc gave me injections, which really worked (for me). I think it might have been Raptiva. (See http://www.psoriasis.org/treatment/psoriasis/biologics/raptiva.php) It then took about six months for the redness of healing to go away. It has never come back. The thing about psoriasis for me was that it reminded me daily of what just happened. Now, without that physical reminder, I don't think much about hiv, really.

Cal

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.